PDA

View Full Version : Dodgers Pull out of Unit Deal

NSSoxFan2
12-21-2004, 07:46 PM
Just heard it on ESPN Radio. I'm trying to find a link to confirm. I hope this is right, since I heard paperwork was sent to Bud, supposedly.

MRKARNO
12-21-2004, 07:51 PM
This wouldnt really shock me as they seemed to be getting the short end of this deal anyways. At no point did it really make much sense for them as they'd just be heading down a road to be like the 2003 team (no offense pretty good pitching). Depodesta's no fool and it looked like he was about to make yet another highly questionable move since his becoming the GM in LA (Lo Duca deal wasnt so great, Valentin signing wasnt too great either IMO, lost out on Beltre to pursue JD drew?)

NSSoxFan2
12-21-2004, 07:54 PM
I totally agree that the Dodgers were getting the worst part of this deal. Perhaps they only wanted to do this deal if they could have turned around and traded Vazquez to The Sox for Pauly + more, but once KW said thats not going to happen, they decided not to pull the trigger.

I still have a sick feeling RJ will end up in NY, they always get their prey.:D:

Kogs35
12-21-2004, 07:59 PM
Just heard it on ESPN Radio. I'm trying to find a link to confirm. I hope this is right, since I heard paperwork was sent to Bud, supposedly.
buster olney of espn.com said the paper work did not goto budlight. he was on the dan patrick radio show today

pearso66
12-21-2004, 08:01 PM
Looking for a link? ask and you shall recieve

Linky (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1951207)

DickAllen72
12-21-2004, 08:02 PM
Now's our chance to swoop in and get RJ out from under the Yankee's nose.

Cotts, Adkins & choice of Konerko/Sweeney/Garland for RJ. :smile:

NSSoxFan2
12-21-2004, 08:07 PM
I don't think the Sox are players for Randy, I wish. Maybe there will be a three way now with the Sox-Dodgers-Yanks, where the Yanks send us Vazquez, we send Dodgers Garland+1 prospect, and Dodgers send Ishii to NY.?

Jabroni
12-21-2004, 08:31 PM
"Garagiola counters report on trade
D-Backs GM says paperwork is still on his desk"
http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/la/news/la_news.jsp?ymd=20041221&content_id=924647&vkey=news_la&fext=.jsp

I think this deal fell apart for two reasons. The Los Angeles media was ripping DePodesta over the trade and saying that it was just a salary dump. Also, KW said that Konerko would not be traded. Vazquez and prospects was not worth what the Dodgers were giving up.

Rocklive99
12-21-2004, 08:39 PM
Aww crap, here come the Vasquez rumors again. Buster Olney was on ESPNEWS and thinks RJ will be a Yankee by about Jan 20, and it's only a matter of finding someone who wants Vasquez. Kenny Williams' name was brought up :(

Jabroni
12-21-2004, 08:43 PM
Aww crap, here come the Vasquez rumors again. Buster Olney was on ESPNEWS and thinks RJ will be a Yankee by about Jan 20, and it's only a matter of finding someone who wants Vasquez. Kenny Williams' name was brought up :(Agreed. I think it will happen this way...

White Sox get:
Javier Vazquez + money from Yankees

Diamondbacks get:
Jon Garland & White Sox prospect(s)
Dioner Navarro
Eric Duncan

Yankees get:
Randy Johnson

cleogogo
12-21-2004, 08:46 PM
I Think JaBroni hits a homerun with that trade scenario. There was no way LA was going to lose 4 pitchers in this deal. Then get JV and send him to the SOX.
They are losing Perez, Who would pitch?

Jabroni
12-21-2004, 08:49 PM
I Think JaBroni hits a homerun with that trade scenario. There was no way LA was going to lose 4 pitchers in this deal. Then get JV and send him to the SOX.
They are losing Perez, Who would pitch?I think it will happen but we will still need a 5th starter to replace Garland. :whiner:

A. Cavatica
12-21-2004, 08:59 PM
Yanks would be giving up an awful lot for Unit. I don't see them sending us much cash along with Vazquez, but the rest of it might work.

Shingotime!!
12-21-2004, 09:02 PM
Yanks would be giving up an awful lot for Unit. I don't see them sending us much cash along with Vazquez, but the rest of it might work. Are u kidding, compared to what the Dimondbacks were demanding at first, J.V. and 2 minor leagers that arent even all that great is just pennies.

Jabroni
12-21-2004, 09:07 PM
Yanks would be giving up an awful lot for Unit. I don't see them sending us much cash along with Vazquez, but the rest of it might work.The Yankees were willing to give up Vazquez, Navarro, and Duncan before so why wouldn't they now? The Yankees don't care about prospects. They trade prospects and throw money at the top free agents. Afterall, Randy Johnson is the best pitcher in baseball and the Yankees feel like they NEED to win the World Series next season since Boston just won it.

Rocklive99
12-21-2004, 09:12 PM
I think it will happen but we will still need a 5th starter to replace Garland. :whiner:
That's the problem I have with the trade. Who knows, maybe JV will return to his 1st half form, but I don't like the fact that it doesn't solve anything since there would still be an empty SP spot, and I don't want to see Jason Grilli or the dreaded 4 man rotation. Unless he can make the trade AND sign a Perez or Milton type, then I'd be fine with it. By the way, I doubt it, but is there any instance where we would save money by being a part of the RJ trade? That would be pimp

Jabroni
12-21-2004, 09:19 PM
That's the problem I have with the trade. Who knows, maybe JV will return to his 1st half form, but I don't like the fact that it doesn't solve anything since there would still be an empty SP spot, and I don't want to see Jason Grilli or the dreaded 4 man rotation. Unless he can make the trade AND sign a Perez or Milton type, then I'd be fine with it. By the way, I doubt it, but is there any instance where we would save money by being a part of the RJ trade? That would be pimpThere's really no way we'd save money trading Garland & prospect(s) for Vazquez, even if the Yankees sent us money along with Vazquez. Vazquez has 3 years and $34.5 million left on his contract with $10.5 million of it in 2005. Garland is only making $3.4 in 2005 and prospects make peanuts.

MRKARNO
12-21-2004, 09:36 PM
Agreed. I think it will happen this way...

White Sox get:
Javier Vazquez + money from Yankees

Diamondbacks get:
Jon Garland & White Sox prospect(s)
Dioner Navarro
Eric Duncan

Yankees get:
Randy Johnson
No way Arizona does that deal, even if it is Anderson or Sweeney. Compare that haul to Brazoban, Penny and Green. It's not as good and based on what they were asking for earlier. Besides, this deal doesnt help our team as say signing a mid-level starter such as El Duque or Millwood for a one or two year deal if that's possible.

A. Cavatica
12-21-2004, 09:43 PM
The Yankees were willing to give up Vazquez, Navarro, and Duncan before so why wouldn't they now?
They would. But they also have to pick up RJ's salary, and it wasn't reported that they'd send cash to LA along with Vazquez. In fact, the report was that LA would send money to NY to cover Ishii's salary.

Jabroni
12-21-2004, 09:55 PM
No way Arizona does that deal, even if it is Anderson or Sweeney. Compare that haul to Brazoban, Penny and Green. It's not as good and based on what they were asking for earlier.You do know that money matters to teams as well, right? Shawn Green makes $16 million in 2005 and Penny will get an increase on the $3,725,000 that he made in 2004. Instead, the Diamondbacks would be getting young, cheap talent (Garland, Sweeney, Navarro, Duncan) for Randy Johnson.

Shawn Green + Brad Penny + Brazoban + Weeden = ~$20 million

Garland + Sweeney + Navarro + Duncan = ~$5 million

SoxxoS
12-21-2004, 11:11 PM
Am I the only one that dosen't want Vazquez? I saw him pitch in game 7 of the BoSox series (as most of you) and Torre was actually afraid to use him. Isn't acquiring a pitcher like that supposed to help you win a world series? I don't get it. He only looked like Cy Young against us.

Rocklive99
12-21-2004, 11:26 PM
Am I the only one that dosen't want Vazquez? I saw him pitch in game 7 of the BoSox series (as most of you) and Torre was actually afraid to use him. Isn't acquiring a pitcher like that supposed to help you win a world series? I don't get it. He only looked like Cy Young against us.
Nope, I dont either. That 9+ postseason ERA makes me shudder, whatever happened to him in the 2nd half, I just dont think we can magically fix it

Kogs35
12-21-2004, 11:33 PM
Am I the only one that dosen't want Vazquez? I saw him pitch in game 7 of the BoSox series (as most of you) and Torre was actually afraid to use him. Isn't acquiring a pitcher like that supposed to help you win a world series? I don't get it. He only looked like Cy Young against us.vazquez is over rated . the money the yanks gave him got to his head and he fell apart in july. i dont want him

Rocklive99
12-22-2004, 01:54 AM
Hmm, from RotoWorld

According to Newsday, Javier Vazquez refused to report to Los Angeles for a physical, killing the Randy Johnson trade.
Vazquez has no right to reject the trade, and he wants to continue with this stance, the Yankees could probably suspend him without pay. It's unlikely it will come to that, though.

Jabroni
12-22-2004, 02:01 AM
Hmm, from RotoWorldYep, Vazquez screwed the trade.

Mohoney
12-22-2004, 08:56 AM
Yep, Vazquez screwed the trade.
Maybe because his heart's desire is to pitch here?

Jjav829
12-22-2004, 08:57 AM
Maybe because his heart's desire is to pitch here?Or maybe because he found out he would be traded from the Dodgers to the White Sox. :smile:

Mohoney
12-22-2004, 09:10 AM
Or maybe because he found out he would be traded from the Dodgers to the White Sox. :smile:
and ?

:roflmao: