PDA

View Full Version : Padres-BoSox Trade

Dub25
12-21-2004, 06:41 PM
Sorry if you thought this was going to involve big names but I had to mention this. According to the Sun-Times baseball notebook today Dave Roberts was tradeded from Boston to San Diego for Jay Payton, IF Ramon Vazquez, and Minor league pitcher David Pauley and cash. Does anyone think this is too much for Dave Roberts. I think Payton straight up would've been good. Maybe KW can get more than a bag of balls for Borchard after all.

pearso66
12-21-2004, 07:02 PM
Sorry if you thought this was going to involve big names but I had to mention this. According to the Sun-Times baseball notebook today Dave Roberts was tradeded from Boston to San Diego for Jay Payton, IF Ramon Vazquez, and Minor league pitcher David Pauley and cash. Does anyone think this is too much for Dave Roberts. I think Payton straight up would've been good. Maybe KW can get more than a bag of balls for Borchard after all.
I agree that it is too much. Vasquez is young and supposed to be a decent SS, Payton is what, 2 years off a good year, and they got cash? Boston made out like bandits

soltrain21
12-21-2004, 09:12 PM
Sometimes I wonder if teams let teams like the Yankees, Red Sox, and Cubs fleece them just so they can get the media attention from it.

Jabroni
12-21-2004, 09:15 PM
Dave Roberts' speed and 38 stolen bases last season must have given him alot of trade value but the guy is 32 years old. :?:

RKMeibalane
12-21-2004, 11:47 PM
This may be one of the worst trades I've ever seen. I'm not kidding.

SoxFan76
12-21-2004, 11:59 PM
Wow, that's like cheating. That is a trade that would only work on MVP 2004 if you turned fair trades off!!! :)

Jabroni
12-22-2004, 12:00 AM
This may be one of the worst trades I've ever seen. I'm not kidding.Indeed.

Man Soo Lee
12-22-2004, 01:56 AM
This may be one of the worst trades I've ever seen. I'm not kidding. Payton is an overpaid fourth outfielder that's never done anything special outside of Coors Field. Vazquez is a decent utility guy that spent half of last year in AAA.

I can recall a team giving up a lot more than that for a base-stealing "lead-off hitter" with questionable on-base skills.

SomebodyToldMe
12-22-2004, 02:05 AM
Maybe KW can get more than a bag of balls for Borchard after all.
I'd take the bag of balls.

Jabroni
12-22-2004, 02:08 AM
I'd take the bag of balls.Agreed. At least the bag of balls are guaranteed. :tongue:

Jerome
12-22-2004, 11:03 AM
I can recall a team giving up a lot more than that for a base-stealing "lead-off hitter" with questionable on-base skills.

Got that right. This trade was almost as bad for the Padres as the Podsednik deal was for us.

The Red Sox used him as like a pinch runner last year right?

Palehose13
12-22-2004, 11:12 AM
Got that right. This trade was almost as bad for the Padres as the Podsednik deal was for us.

The Red Sox used him as like a pinch runner last year right?
:rolleyes: Yeah, cause the Sox gave up three players and cash for Podsednik.

SOXSINCE'70
12-22-2004, 03:14 PM
This may be one of the worst trades I've ever seen. I'm not kidding.
Worse than Todd Ritchie for Kip Wells and Josh Fogg??:D: :D: :D:

Just asking.

MUsoxfan
12-22-2004, 03:28 PM
None of those players are that great. Payton is the only everyday player and he won't play everyday in Boston. I'm indifferent on this trade. It's just an exchange of bench players.