PDA

View Full Version : White Sox interested in Eric Milton...

Jabroni
12-21-2004, 05:41 PM
http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/213sd4.htm
The Sox still have interest in free-agent pitcher Eric Milton, but the salaries starters are commanding this winter have been higher than Williams expected and may force him out of the sweepstakes for the left-hander.If we can't afford Eric Milton, I don't see how we can afford Odalis Perez. :whiner:

southsideirish71
12-21-2004, 05:42 PM
And if Eric Milton is too much money for us, how do we afford Perez/Lowe/Millwood/Vasquez.

Jabroni
12-21-2004, 05:45 PM
And if Eric Milton is too much money for us, how do we afford Perez/Lowe/Millwood/Vasquez.Uhhh, we don't?

:chunks

JRIG
12-21-2004, 05:46 PM
Milton will be vastly overpaid by somebody. I just hope it's not us.

southsideirish71
12-21-2004, 05:46 PM
Uhhh, we don't?

:chunks

Grilli/Diaz lob league 2005 :dtroll:

soxfan43
12-21-2004, 05:47 PM
time to face the facts, JR/KW can't or won't spend the money on another starter. the only reason they probably gave garcia that contract is he's related to ozzie. at this point, they should sign eckstein or cora and sign someone like el duque or a similar type pitcher to a cheap deal and see whats available in july.

Ol' No. 2
12-21-2004, 05:48 PM
Milton will be vastly overpaid by somebody. I just hope it's not us.He would be an absolute disaster pitching in Coors East. What's the record for most HR given up by a pitcher in a season?

NardiWasHere
12-21-2004, 05:49 PM
:LTP Who needs pitching when you got this guy right here?!?!?!?!

JRIG
12-21-2004, 05:49 PM
He would be an absolute disaster pitching in Coors East. What's the record for most HR given up by a pitcher in a season?
Finally, something we can agree on! :bandance: :D:

I know Blyleven has the record. I think it's around 51 or 52.

Jabroni
12-21-2004, 05:50 PM
Milton will be vastly overpaid by somebody. I just hope it's not us.Agreed. Besides, I don't even want to imagine how many home runs Milton would serve up at the Cell. He gave up 43 last season. :wired:

soxfan43
12-21-2004, 05:50 PM
Who needs pitching when you got this guy right here?!?!?!?!
how can the sox even count on him for AAA when he got cut by a mexican league team?

Kogs35
12-21-2004, 05:53 PM
first the white sox had love for the old cleveland indians now they have love for the old twinkies? whats next a trade with a team from the al east to aquire a catcher in july only for him to leave for the nl east the next season?

Ol' No. 2
12-21-2004, 05:53 PM
Finally, something we can agree on! :bandance: :D:

I know Blyleven has the record. I think it's around 51 or 52.OK, now I gotta look it up.

Blyleven, 50 in 1986

Milton could top that by Labor day.

Foulke You
12-21-2004, 06:19 PM
OK, now I gotta look it up.

Blyleven, 50 in 1986

Milton could top that by Labor day.
Agreed...we need a groundball or strikeout pitcher, not a flyball pitcher.

fquaye149
12-21-2004, 07:15 PM
And if Eric Milton is too much money for us, how do we afford Perez/Lowe/Millwood/Vasquez.
let's look at it this way:

I feel like based on the budget we seem to be looking at we CAN afford to pay Perez 7-8 million a year but we CAN'T afford to pay Milton 5-8 million a year.

Why? Because Perez is a solid, dependable pitcher whereas Milton is mercurial and injury prone. Therefore if our hands are tied w/ his salary we can't replace him if he's not effective/hurt

fquaye149
12-21-2004, 07:16 PM
Agreed. Besides, I don't even want to imagine how many home runs Milton would serve up at the Cell. He gave up 43 last season. :wired:
i don't know why you think Chicago is a worse place to pitch than Philadelphia. Did you see how homers were flying out of there last year?

Jabroni
12-21-2004, 08:25 PM
i don't know why you think Chicago is a worse place to pitch than Philadelphia. Did you see how homers were flying out of there last year?I know Philly is pretty bad but the Cell is Coors East.

OEO Magglio
12-21-2004, 08:37 PM
Milton will be vastly overpaid by somebody. I just hope it's not us.
Ditto. Milton is absolutely horrendous, he'd be lucky to keep his era under 6 here.

Lip Man 1
12-21-2004, 10:21 PM
Before anyone claims that the new Comiskey Park is Coors East perhaps we should wait a few years and see for sure. Even Ozzie himself was quoted last year as saying it could have been a fluke.

Weather has a lot to do with how a ball travels...if the weather is different this summer you may get substancially different results.

Lip

Jabroni
12-21-2004, 10:28 PM
Before anyone claims that the new Comiskey Park is Coors East perhaps we should wait a few years and see for sure. Even Ozzie himself was quoted last year as saying it could have been a fluke.

Weather has a lot to do with how a ball travels...if the weather is different this summer you may get substancially different results.

LipWe better hope it's a fluke. With our new "small-ball" direction, I don't think having a hitter's park is a bonus.

broker3d
12-21-2004, 11:02 PM
Milton is a fly ball pitcher. That does not work at the Cell.

Banix12
12-22-2004, 12:48 AM
He gave up 48 hrs last year playing for Philly, he'd have to give up at least as many here. I'm sure we could do better.

fquaye149
12-22-2004, 12:38 PM
I know Philly is pretty bad but the Cell is Coors East.
because you give it a cute name DOES NOT mean that there weren't more HR hit in Philadelphia

Jabroni
12-22-2004, 12:54 PM
because you give it a cute name DOES NOT mean that there weren't more HR hit in Philadelphia:rolleyes:

Whatever man, the point is that Eric Milton gives up the long ball. I'm sure he wouldn't give up any less at the Cell.

Dolanski
12-22-2004, 12:56 PM
time to face the facts, JR/KW can't or won't spend the money on another starter. the only reason they probably gave garcia that contract is he's related to ozzie. at this point, they should sign eckstein or cora and sign someone like el duque or a similar type pitcher to a cheap deal and see whats available in july.
Wow, talk about psychic...

Hangar18
12-22-2004, 01:02 PM
Thats the road this Bogus organization was going down, and im not surprised.
What does surprise me is the number of CREATIVE ways this team uses to
Continue to be Cheap, Continue to Ignore their Holes, and Continue to barely improve their team

johnnyg83
12-22-2004, 01:10 PM
Mercurial? Nice work. You don;t here that word enough, or read it in this case.