PDA

View Full Version : Who is KW "Zeroing in on?"

mweflen
12-21-2004, 04:18 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20041221&content_id=924770&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp

Or rather, who would you like him to Zero in on?

Does this constitute "plan zero", now that plans A through Z have been summarily shredded?

Williams acknowledged that there were "other options we feel like we are zeroing in on," who could replace Schoeneweis. The White Sox could be looking at right-hander Wade Miller, who Houston non-tendered Monday night, or could still get involved as a fourth party in the Randy Johnson mega-deal.

Ol' No. 2
12-21-2004, 04:20 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20041221&content_id=924770&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp

Or rather, who would you like him to Zero in on?

Does this constitute "plan zero", now that plans A through Z have been summarily shredded?I'd be willing to bet that Javy Vazquez is pitching in a White Sox uniform next year.

soltrain21
12-21-2004, 04:20 PM
It is probably Javier. It looks like Perez is going to sign with the Mariners, and Miller will probably be sought after by other teams...which means we won't get him.

bennyw41
12-21-2004, 04:28 PM
I'd be willing to bet that Javy Vazquez is pitching in a White Sox uniform next year.
Who by your estimation will be the bargaining piece in this move?

mweflen
12-21-2004, 04:35 PM
I'd be willing to bet that Javy Vazquez is pitching in a White Sox uniform next year.
I'll take that bet. How's $1 sound?

soxfan43
12-21-2004, 04:37 PM
Who by your estimation will be the bargaining piece in this move?
if it's konerko, then this deal could be the worst of KW's tenure. Losing your top 3 hitters from the last few seasons without really replacing them is dumber than a team actually trading for Sosa right now.

southsideirish71
12-21-2004, 04:41 PM
I have a bad feeling it will be a Mike Jackson/Robert Person lightning in a bottle type.

There wont be enough money spun back for JR to stomach the contract of JV.

So its Grilli/Diaz/guy who hasnt started in 2004/independent league guy.

bobj4400
12-21-2004, 04:42 PM
if it's konerko, then this deal could be the worst of KW's tenure. Losing your top 3 hitters from the last few seasons without really replacing them is dumber than a team actually trading for Sosa right now.
It will be Konerko for Vazquez. I have lost all confidence in KW. I used to be a card carrying member of the FOKW. I just cant close my eyes to his stupidity any longer. It may be tight wad JR's fault that KW sux, but the fact remains that he sux. KW has one fatal flaw. He gets infatuated with players, then no matter the consequences or costs, does everything in his power to get that guy to the Sox. See Robbie Alomar, Scott Schoeneweis, Ben Davis, Carl Everett. Soon u will be able to add Javy Vazquez to this list. Even though the evidence suggests something may be wrong with his arm and he is owed 34 mil over the next 3 years, this is of no matter. KW has 'zeroed in' on him for better or worse.

Ol' No. 2
12-21-2004, 04:43 PM
Who by your estimation will be the bargaining piece in this move?I see it as Garland plus somebody. Look at the Dodgers pitching staff. They need SOMEBODY to stand on the hill and throw the ball. Right now, Garland could be their ace. Who's the somebody?

Garland + Marte seems a bit steep, but I might do it if I had another LH reliever in mind that I could get (Hammond?)
Not Sweeney/Anderson/McCarthy/Fields.
Definately not Konerko.
????

Who depends on what DePodesta wants and how driven he is to do the deal. Remember, if he doesn't do the deal he's stuck with Green and probably can't afford Drew.

NSSoxFan2
12-21-2004, 05:11 PM
Part of me says that KW is going to pursue Vazquez if the deal is right with the Dodgers. But if that falls through, I am a bit concerned as to who we can pursue next. Milton is out there, but any team that gets him will most likely overspend. Maybe Odalis Perez is more likely.

mcfish
12-21-2004, 05:14 PM
Part of me says that KW is going to pursue Vazquez if the deal is right with the Dodgers. But if that falls through, I am a bit concerned as to who we can pursue next. Milton is out there, but any team that gets him will most likely overspend. Maybe Odalis Perez is more likely.What about Millwood?

batmanZoSo
12-21-2004, 05:24 PM
I have a bad feeling it will be a Mike Jackson/Robert Person lightning in a bottle type.
Replace "lightning in a bottle" with "crap on a stick," then we can do business.

kojak
12-21-2004, 05:25 PM
I think it will be Eckstein.

Garland will officially become our #5 starter.

We will then attempt to play the first 3 months of the season without a #3 starter. :o:

RKMeibalane
12-21-2004, 05:26 PM
This looks like a riddle to me. Ken Williams is "zeroing in" on a pitcher, or so he says. What he really means is that he's going to add nothing to the pitching staff, at least not during the winter.

Zeroing in = Nothing

soltrain21
12-21-2004, 05:32 PM
This looks like a riddle to me. Ken Williams is "zeroing in" on a pitcher, or so he says. What he really means is that he's going to add nothing to the pitching staff, at least not during the winter.

Zeroing in = Nothing
Or...Orr

We are making Shingo a starter.

I say that because this looks like a helmet to a rat. Now it doesn't sound right, but when you ask the rats about it they don't say anything and just run away.

eshunn2001
12-21-2004, 05:36 PM
If somehow KW trades Konerko for JV he better have a plan to bring Aubrey Huff in here from Tampa. Or Starting Gload and Moving the Fences in right and Left back 20 feet.

RKMeibalane
12-21-2004, 05:38 PM
If somehow KW trades Konerko for JV he better have a plan to bring Aubrey Huff in here from Tampa. Or Starting Gload and Moving the Fences in right and Left back 20 feet.
Either that, or he's figured out a way to heal Frank's injury by snaping his fingers, because with Konerko gone and Thomas on the DL, the Sox have no offense. Nadda. Zip. Zilch.

Jjav829
12-21-2004, 05:39 PM
I hope it is Vazquez. Hopefully Kenny can find a way to bring Javy to the Sox without giving up Konerko. That is what this team needs right now. But with our luck, it's probably Andy Ashby he is zeroing in on.

hold2dibber
12-21-2004, 06:02 PM
I'd much rather go after Miller or Perez than Vazquez at this point, because all you have to give up is money to get those guys, whereas Vazquez would cost the Sox players and money. I actually think the Sox best move at this point might be to try a few cheaper options instead of handing out the whole wad to one guy like Perez or Lowe. For example, assuming the Sox have approximately $7 million to use, if you can sign (for example) El Duque for $3 million, Miller (or Sele, etc.) for $2 million and Miguel Cairo (good platoon guy with Harris and can back-up at SS and 3B, too) for $1 million, I think you're probably better off than just signing Perez for $7 million.

chisoxmike
12-21-2004, 06:13 PM
I voted on Derek Lowe, thats more of a wish list or who I would be zeroing in on.:smile:

kittle42
12-21-2004, 06:21 PM

Zeroing in = Nothing
We have a winner!

The rest of you - for shame!

MRKARNO
12-21-2004, 06:41 PM
Top preference is Odalis Perez because he's a sure thing and we wouldnt have to give up talent to get him. Second choice is a semi-healthy Wade Miller. Third choice is Vazquez because he's probably as good of a talent as those two, but we'd have to give up talent to get him unless we took on mega-money, something I dont see us doing.

Fredsox
12-21-2004, 06:56 PM
Just as I was pulling into the garage ESPN radio reported that the Johnson deal is dead becase the Dodgers backed out. I have no other information, but that's what I heard.

OzzieBall2004
12-21-2004, 07:06 PM
Just as I was pulling into the garage ESPN radio reported that the Johnson deal is dead becase the Dodgers backed out. I have no other information, but that's what I heard.

Well....My vote goes to our 1st starter next year being Randy Johnson. I know it is nothing more than the proverbial c0ck tease to assume so, but hey...it's Christmas time.....

DickAllen72
12-21-2004, 07:16 PM
Well....My vote goes to our 1st starter next year being Randy Johnson. I know it is nothing more than the proverbial c0ck tease to assume so, but hey...it's Christmas time.....

KW should be on the phone with the Diamondbacks right now. He should tell them, "Forget these chumps. You deal with me, we deal in good faith. We can close this deal in five minutes. We'll give you either Konerko or Sweeney, plus Garland, Adkins and Cotts. That's a young, cheap, major league starter, two young, cheap, major league relievers, and either a bona fide slugger or our best outfield prospect. That's a better deal than you were getting from the deal that fell through, and it's a sure thing. Deal?"

mcfish
12-21-2004, 07:18 PM
Well....My vote goes to our 1st starter next year being Randy Johnson. I know it is nothing more than the proverbial c0ck tease to assume so, but hey...it's Christmas time.....Using as evidence the proposed trade of the day, RJ is going to cost too much in terms of major league talent for me to want him here. He's what? 41 years old? How long can he really keep pitching? So in 2 years we have lost RJ and everyone that we sent away to get him. I'm sorry, but I really don't think we need that. I'm not saying that there's no hope for this season, but I don't want to see them piss away what's left of the future on a 41 year old for 2 years.

Fredsox
12-21-2004, 07:42 PM
Ok, so it's dead again http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1951207 according to ESPN and Fox.

Now comes the fun: do we pursue Vasquez directly with the Yankees? Do we look elsewhere? Do we trade the rest of the team to the D-Backs for RJ?

I don't see Johnson here in any circumstance. We'd give up too much to get him, and then have to sign him for 2 more years @ $16M, I don't see it happening.

I also can't see any motivation for the Yankees to trade Vasquez to the Sox. We don't have anything they want that we would be willing to part with (more starting pitching...).

This thing is dead for us too. We better hope Perez is still available and interested.

Chisox003
12-21-2004, 07:46 PM
Theres a 3 way deal, Yanks/Dbacks/Sox....I could see this happening and Garland and a prospect isnt much to give up for Vasquez...The only problem here is we'd still be looking for that dreaded 5th starter...

Jabroni
12-21-2004, 07:47 PM
Theres a 3 way deal, Yanks/Dbacks/Sox....I could see this happening and Garland and a prospect isnt much to give up for Vasquez...The only problem here is we'd still be looking for that dreaded 5th starter...Yep, I'd put my money on this happening...

White Sox get:
Javier Vazquez + money from Yankees

Diamondbacks get:
Jon Garland & White Sox prospect(s)
Dioner Navarro
Eric Duncan

Yankees get:
Randy Johnson

But, like you said, we will still need a 5th starter to replace Garland. :(:

Chisox003
12-21-2004, 07:50 PM
That would be a great deal for the Sox....Buehrle Vasquez Garcia and Contreras would make for the nastiest top 4 in the league...Again though, its that #5 that could make or break the season...

jamteh
12-21-2004, 08:32 PM
Maybe it's time to go back to a four-man rotation like the olden days. Our 'pen is pretty strong.

Jurr
12-21-2004, 09:01 PM
Who knows what's going to happen in that fifth spot? We could pick up some non-signed free agent and get another Loaiza situation.
Minnesota won by throwing Mullholland out there, and he kicked ass for 'em. Glendon Rusch did it for the Cubs. The fifth starter is a patchwork position for every team. Everybody knows that they have to step it up offensively and win the 8-6 games with the fifth guy. There will be SOME really cheap plug-in guy to help us out. Leave Garland here, find some patchwork guy to bring in, and spend the damn money on something of substance, like another decent bat.

soxfan43
12-21-2004, 09:01 PM
That would be a great deal for the Sox....Buehrle Vasquez Garcia and Contreras would make for the nastiest top 4 in the league...Again though, its that #5 that could make or break the season...

and therefore we have the same problem minus some more players.

Jabroni
12-21-2004, 09:02 PM
Maybe it's time to go back to a four-man rotation like the olden days. Our 'pen is pretty strong.Been there, done that...

:chunks

Nick@Nite
12-21-2004, 09:17 PM
Maybe it's time to go back to a four-man rotation like the olden days. Our 'pen is pretty strong.
Hey... that would be an in inspired move, providing that the Cell was a pitchers ball park (it's not) and there was no DH (there is). The quickest way to innovation is often going old school. Too bad that circumstances won't allow a four man rotation, imho.

rwcescato
12-21-2004, 10:00 PM
They are looking at nobody and hope the money sabved could be KW
raise for next year.

tstrike2000
12-22-2004, 09:44 AM
I'll take that bet. How's $1 sound?
I think we'd love to agree with you #2, but the price would be too steep...barring we trade more pitchers or a small miracle.