PDA

View Full Version : Davis re-signs. 1 year $1 million

santo=dorf
12-21-2004, 03:02 PM
per the score.

:reinsy
"That's another $400,000 saved! And who says this hasn't been a successful offseason?"

ChiWhiteSox1337
12-21-2004, 03:04 PM
So will this kill the rumors of AJ coming to the sox? Pretty good signing IMO for $1 million because KW (hopefully) can still make a few moves now.

Erik The Red
12-21-2004, 03:05 PM
Eh, I don't think he's worth that much. Maybe $500,000 or a little more, but a million?

Jabroni
12-21-2004, 03:05 PM
Eh, I don't think he's worth that much. Maybe $500,000 or a little more, but a million?He made $1.4 million last season so at least we got him for $400,000 cheaper. :tongue:

santo=dorf
12-21-2004, 03:06 PM
So will this kill the rumors of AJ coming to the sox? Pretty good signing IMO for $1 million because KW (hopefully) can still make a few moves now.I don't think so. Manuel always liked to carry 3 catchers, and as Mickster pointed out in another thread, when Maggs went down, Burke was called up, not Reed.

hosieryofthegods
12-21-2004, 03:06 PM
Agreed. I didn't think a .200 avg was worth a million, no matter how he is behind the plate.

Jabroni
12-21-2004, 03:07 PM
So will this kill the rumors of AJ coming to the sox? Pretty good signing IMO for $1 million because KW (hopefully) can still make a few moves now.I would guess so unless KW wants to have Pierzynski as our starter and Davis to catch for Freddy and Contreras. :?:

Not a bad signing considering the Cubs just paid Henry Blanco $2.5 million a year. :tongue:

ChiWhiteSox1337
12-21-2004, 03:08 PM
I remember the white sox carrying 3 catchers in the past, but I assumed because of the $$ AJ would most likely get, it wouldn't be worth it for the white sox to sign AJ with Burke and Davis already on the payroll.

Erik The Red
12-21-2004, 03:09 PM
He made $1.4 million last season so at least we got him for $400,000 cheaper. :tongue: Ahh, I hadn't seen last year's salary. Jeez, Seattle was REALLY overpaying him.

Chisox003
12-21-2004, 03:09 PM
Hope this doesnt mean we're out of the Pierzynski running....

wdelaney72
12-21-2004, 03:10 PM
Ahh, I hadn't seen last year's salary. Jeez, Seattle was REALLY overpaying him.
And now we're overpaying him, as well.

DaveIsHere
12-21-2004, 03:14 PM
Man, I wish I could Suck at my job and make that much money.....sheesh

mweflen
12-21-2004, 03:16 PM
$1 mil is about $600,000 too much for a player like Davis, who has had little to no success in the majors.

Bet he's real happy about the pay cut, too...

Now, why is it players don't want to come here again?

MisterB
12-21-2004, 03:18 PM
$1 mil is about $600,000 too much for a player like Davis, who has had little to no success in the majors.

Davis was non-tendered. He was free to sign with any other team that would have him. If he's unhappy about the pay cut, it's 100% his fault.

Jabroni
12-21-2004, 03:21 PM
"White Sox agree to terms with catcher Ben Davis
Sign pitchers Ryan Meaus and Eduardo Villacis to minor league contracts"
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_press_release.jsp?ymd=20041221&content_id=924723&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp

jabrch
12-21-2004, 03:22 PM

Must be the deferred money, huh?

maurice
12-21-2004, 03:23 PM
:gulp:

He can't hit a lick, but it's a heck of a lot better than going into spring training with a catching depth chart that goes "Burke - Hankins - pray for rain."

Ol' No. 2
12-21-2004, 03:23 PM
Must be the deferred money, huh?Maybe Davis is only getting $500,000 now and $500,000 deferred. That wouldn't be so bad.

Randar68
12-21-2004, 03:25 PM
I'm not a big Pierzynski fan, but if they did sign him, Burke would be gone. They aren't going to carry 3 catchers. Not sure why people think Burke is worthy of a spot in front of Davis or Pierzynski...

too much Kool-aid...

Shingotime!!
12-21-2004, 03:30 PM
I dont remember anyone saying Burke is more deserving of a spot IN FRONT OF Perzynski and Davis, but mabey behind them for Buerhle.

MRKARNO
12-21-2004, 03:31 PM
I hope it does, not that I like Davis all that much.

12-21-2004, 03:41 PM
And now we're overpaying him, as well.
His potential was thru the roof, I'm thinking Seattle was hoping he would pay off. He was the 2nd overall player taken in the draft, he was supossed to be can't miss...he really liked it in Chicago, and showed some signs of a heartbeat, lets see how he pans out

wilburaga
12-21-2004, 03:42 PM
Easy go, easy come.

W

JRIG
12-21-2004, 03:52 PM
Here's the thing with this and the Timo Perez signing:

We gave $2 million combined to these two players who are completely replaceable -- you can find players to produce equally for just about the league minimum.

So, if the Sox took the $1.3 million or so they would have saved here and added it to Clement's deal, does it get things done with our starting pitching staff?

Now, there's no real answer to that question. We don't know how the negociations really went. But if the reports are that Clement went to Boston just because of a $1 million difference in the offers...here's where that money went instead.

I don't mean to create a huge debate on this, it's just food for thought. As I said, no one really knows how the Clement deal went down.

wdelaney72
12-21-2004, 03:52 PM
Is there a website that shows the pitching stats for a catcher? In other words, I'd be curious to compare pitchers stats for when Ben Davis was catching vs. Jamie Burke catching.

Ol' No. 2
12-21-2004, 03:55 PM

We gave $2 million combined to these two players who are completely replaceable -- you can find players to produce equally for just about the league minimum.

So, if the Sox took the $1.3 million or so they would have saved here and added it to Clement's deal, does it get things done with our starting pitching staff?

Now, there's no real answer to that question. We don't know how the negociations really went. But if the reports are that Clement went to Boston just because of a $1 million difference in the offers...here's where that money went instead.

I don't mean to create a huge debate on this, it's just food for thought. As I said, no one really knows how the Clement deal went down.Leaving aside the value of Perez and Davis, I don't see how you can read the reports of the Clement signing and conclude that he went to Boston for the $1M difference.

Ol' No. 2
12-21-2004, 03:57 PM
Is there a website that shows the pitching stats for a catcher? In other words, I'd be curious to compare pitchers stats for when Ben Davis was catching vs. Jamie Burke catching.There are lots of places you can find catcher's ERA (CERA), which is just the combined ERA's for the pitchers while that catcher was catching. IMO, it's complete BS. Catchers catch different pitchers. Pitchers have a lot more to do with ERA than catchers. To think that you can just ignore differences in pitchers seems looney.

Jabroni
12-21-2004, 04:05 PM

I don't mean to create a huge debate on this, it's just food for thought. As I said, no one really knows how the Clement deal went down.How many times are you going to peddle this crap?

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/bos/news/bos_news.jsp?ymd=20041217&content_id=923895&vkey=news_bos&fext=.jsp
The fact that Epstein's team was on a different coast this time had something to do with the ultimate result.

"Matt's family and his wife's family are in Pennsylvania," said Axelrod. "The thought of his dad and other family members being able to easily get to Boston to see him pitch became a big factor for him. Who wouldn't want to pitch in front of their family at Fenway Park?"

While Axelrod said the finalists were all on a fairly level playing field in terms of the offers, the chance to win weighed heavily on Clement's mind.

"What came into play was the chances of being on a winning team and I think Boston really measured up well," said Axelrod. "I think the overriding factor became where he thought would be the best chance for him to win for all three years for the contract he was going to enter into. Boston and the Angels have dedicated ownership and management to have them in contention year after year."

JRIG
12-21-2004, 04:15 PM
How many times are you going to peddle this crap?

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/bos/news/bos_news.jsp?ymd=20041217&content_id=923895&vkey=news_bos&fext=.jsp
I thought I made fairly clear I wasn't trying to use Clement as a stone-cold example, as no one knows exactly what happens behind closed doors. You can insert any free agent we seem to come "just short" of signing money-wise.

Again, all I'm saying is if we crying poor and complaining about an owner-imposed spending cap, giving $1 million deals to players whose production can be replaced for close to league minimum is not wise.

MHOUSE
12-21-2004, 04:55 PM
Can we stop all of this adding up petty salary differences and putting it toward Matt Clement a week ago and thinking it would have changed anything. World Champs or second in the AL Central? I wouldn't be surprised if we had offered more than them and still lost out. Clement wanted to pitch on a big stage and get the money he felt he deserved. IIRC he said a lot of our money offer was deferred anyhow. I think another $1 million wouldn't have swayed him over here anyways. Boston got Clement, lets MOVE ON.

I would take Perez and Davis for $2 million combined any day. They both played hard, fought to win for the team, and came up with some clutch hits at times. Sure we could pay Burke and Borchard the minimum to take their roster spots, but Perez and Davis are both very good guys to have on your bench or spot starting. The bench is a very underrated part of winning teams. Look at the Cubs, Red Sox, Cardinals benches vs. the Astros, Yankees benches.

jabrch
12-21-2004, 04:58 PM
Maybe Davis is only getting $500,000 now and $500,000 deferred. That wouldn't be so bad.
Actually, JR deferrs contracts over 20 years...so it is probably one of those deals for 50,000 Per year for 20 years.

Soxzilla
12-21-2004, 04:58 PM
I would gladly pay timo a million dollars. It seems everyone else donning the sox uniform can't put down a bunt to save their lives.

Who knows how some league minimum noob would have panned out.:cool:

As for Davis ... I'm SO glad we re-signed. I mean ... he did manage to hit almost .260 in a WS uniform, and like someone else stated, he was once a top prospect, maybe it's time he fulfilled those shoes.

Heck, he hit more homeruns than willie ...

EDIT - Oops, that was his OBP last year for hte whole year. Sooo he has a bit of work to do ... no biggie!

mweflen
12-21-2004, 05:01 PM
There are lots of places you can find catcher's ERA (CERA), which is just the combined ERA's for the pitchers while that catcher was catching. IMO, it's complete BS. Catchers catch different pitchers. Pitchers have a lot more to do with ERA than catchers. To think that you can just ignore differences in pitchers seems looney.For it to be truly statistically significant in the slightest, you'd have to compare a CERA from one catcher to the CERA of another catcher who caught the same number of games with exactly the same pitchers under exactly the same conditions (injuries, time of year, weather, fatigue).

Which, to put it another way, means its a meaningless statistic. The best you can do is anecdotal statements from pitchers themselves.

mweflen
12-21-2004, 05:03 PM
Actually, JR deferrs contracts over 20 years...so it is probably one of those deals for 50,000 Per year for 20 years.
Hey, I'd take 50k per year over 20 years for 6 months' work!

I should call up Rod Blagojevich to see if one of those tollway jobs is open...