PDA

View Full Version : It's Official: Forest Green Seats at Comiskey

nodiggity59
12-21-2004, 01:10 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/index.jsp?c_id=cws

They'll be doing it progressively DURING this season, with the Lower Deck being completed in the offseason.

Foulke You
12-21-2004, 01:10 PM
Linky:

Foulke You
12-21-2004, 01:11 PM
DOH! We posted at the same time. Oh well, I'm sure the mods will merge it.

TommyJohn
12-21-2004, 01:11 PM
Linky:

Every game is going to be a sellout now.

Ol' No. 2
12-21-2004, 01:13 PM
Every game is going to be a sellout now.Hooray!!! Who needs pitching when you've got GREEN SEATS!!!

lths06
World Series, here we come!!!

HomeFish
Bah. I'm going to miss the blue seats.

You guys got what you wanted, though. I hope you're happy.

jordan23ventura
Yay!!!

TommyJohn
12-21-2004, 01:14 PM

Who is "you guys"?

HomeFish
12-21-2004, 01:16 PM
Who is "you guys," Mr. Ditka?

A cult of the green seat has existed a WSI for some time now. I understand that not all members other tham myself are in it, but from my experience it comes close.

mdep524
12-21-2004, 01:18 PM
New green seats first will be installed in the Club Level, Scout Seats and bleachers before Opening Day 2005. The remaining seats, beginning with the upper deck, will be replaced as weather allows during the 2005 season and 2005-2006 offseason. Full installation is scheduled to be completed by Opening Day 2006. I think it will look nice once completed, but won't it look a little silly to have half the seats green and half blue in the middle of the season?

Foulke You
I think it will look nice, however, I never had a problem with the blue ones as some had. It will definitely make the place look a little bit more like Old Comiskey though.

Gammons Peter

What I wanted was a good team...and I havent gotten it yet, I guess we now know where the Carlos Lee money is being spent

ChiWhiteSox1337
12-21-2004, 01:19 PM
Well, they weren't able to use the u.s. cellular $$ on players, so I'm glad they're using the $$$ on something that will be good for all fans. While the scout seats and the new FUNDamentals area in LF is great, they won't be beneficial to all fans. Too bad they decided not to build the rumored HR porch, 2006 perhaps? :smile:

NonetheLoaiza
12-21-2004, 01:19 PM
man, blue and green seats mixed throughout the season...beautiful. i for one dont care about the color, although if this makes the place more intimate and helps contribute to ballpark feel, im all for it.

Daver
12-21-2004, 01:20 PM
I think it will look nice, however, I never had a problem with the blue ones as some had. It will definitely make the place look a little bit more like Old Comiskey though.
It will never look like Comiskey Park.

lths06
12-21-2004, 01:20 PM
I think it will look nice once completed, but won't it look a little silly to have half the seats green and half blue in the middle of the season?
I think it's part of an effort to disorient opposing players who are not used to the clash of colors.

Ol' No. 2
12-21-2004, 01:22 PM
I think it's part of an effort to disorient opposing players who are not used to the clash of colors.Every other row? Or maybe in a zig-zag pattern. Maybe we can give them vertigo.

Baby Fisk
12-21-2004, 01:23 PM
A cult of the green seat has existed a WSI for some time now. I understand that not all members other tham myself are in it, but from my experience it comes close....not to be confused with Homefish's One-Man Eternal Doomsday Cult... :cool:

Anyway:

Green Seats!

IT'S A FESTIVUS MIRACLE! :bandance:

lths06
12-21-2004, 01:24 PM
Every other row? Or maybe in a zig-zag pattern. Maybe we can give them vertigo.Just like in college basketball games, we can give the scout seats ballons to wave while the opposing pitcher is pitching. Plus with the rumored cheerleaders, all we would need is a pep band and Dicky V.

santo=dorf
12-21-2004, 01:31 PM
I think it will look nice once completed, but won't it look a little silly to have half the seats green and half blue in the middle of the season?
:reinsy
"Of Course! That is why I'm expecting all of you to show up every night and fill up this ballpark otherwise we're going to have a $30 million payroll for the next decade! HAHAHAHA!"

Kogs35
12-21-2004, 01:33 PM
silver or grey seats would of been awesome. oh well

BRDSR
12-21-2004, 01:36 PM
I have a feeling that an old US Cellular blue seat would be cool dorm room decoration...any speculation on if they'll be available and for how much?

Fungo
12-21-2004, 01:37 PM
Are all the seats still gonna have cup holders? :gulp:

bestkosher
12-21-2004, 01:40 PM
I hope they stick to the list they made with people who wanted the blue seats.

DaveIsHere
12-21-2004, 01:42 PM
Are all the seats still gonna have cup holders? :gulp:
This will be available for rent...haha

I can hear everyone complaining once all the seats are installed, now they will say how unconfortable they are and they should have kept the blue ones as they were more comfy, somthing else for some peeps here to complain about:D:

OurBitchinMinny
12-21-2004, 01:44 PM
How much do green seats cost. Maybe thats why they needed to free up salary so they could make green seats. If the seats are filled who gives a damn what color they are. Screw pitching as long as we got green seats (and yeah i know one thing has nothing to do with the other, at least i hope it doesnt)

Nick@Nite
12-21-2004, 01:45 PM
At least the new seats aren't plaid. I would have preferred chartreuse green.

Hangar18
12-21-2004, 01:47 PM
you know ........ the other day, I was driving on the Ryan Xway heading
north, and it was a nice day, and the Seats looked great, blue, bright.....
they never bothered me. The Billboards on the other hand .........
again as Hawk would say ........RIGHT SIZE ...WRONG SHAPE

ChiWhiteSox1337
12-21-2004, 01:48 PM
How much do green seats cost. Maybe thats why they needed to free up salary so they could make green seats. If the seats are filled who gives a damn what color they are. Screw pitching as long as we got green seats (and yeah i know one thing has nothing to do with the other, at least i hope it doesnt) the money the white sox are using to pay for the seats is from the u.s. cellular naming rights deal so no need to worry about losing out on an FA due to green seats.

Gammons Peter
12-21-2004, 01:51 PM
you know ........ the other day, I was driving on the Ryan Xway heading
north, and it was a nice day, and the Seats looked great, blue, bright.....
they never bothered me. The Billboards on the other hand .........
again as Hawk would say ........RIGHT SIZE ...WRONG SHAPE
Don't you mean right shape....wrong size

Wealz
12-21-2004, 01:52 PM
If the seats are filled who gives a damn what color they are.
Besides the fact that they are rarely filled for games, don't discount the incalcuable amount of times the park is viewed by the traffic on the Dan Ryan. Anything that will make the park look better to that many people, and I believe the green seats will, can only be a benefit.

Hangar18
12-21-2004, 01:54 PM
It does look nice though. I think what pulls the Look of the park
altogether, is the Black Roof, Black Lighting Trusses and the Black
Trim throughout. The Green Seats with the Black all over is great.
I dont know who came up with the idea for the
Black scheme, but it does make our park Look Fantastic from outside
and inside. kudos. too bad the playpen ............

Hitmen77
12-21-2004, 02:02 PM
Here's a close-up of the seats:

http://whitesox.mlb.com/cws/images/ballpark/chair_600x600.jpg

mantis1212
12-21-2004, 02:12 PM
Wow, I gotta say the individual seats look really nice!

santo=dorf
12-21-2004, 02:12 PM
No cup holders?

Other than that, it looks great! :gulp:

Ol' No. 2
12-21-2004, 02:13 PM
No cup holders?

Other than that, it looks great! :gulp:Cupholders are on the backs of the blue seats. Probably be the same.

SaltyPretzel
No cup holders?

Other than that, it looks great! :gulp:
I imagine that they would be bolted to the backs of the seats.

soltrain21
Those are classy, I like em.

Hangar18
12-21-2004, 02:15 PM
Thats a good looking Seat. Will look great in 80 years
when theyre tearing down this park and putting the seats on sale ...:D:

soltrain21
Not to be a chronic complainer (((ahem))), but these seats don't look nearly as comfortable as the blue seats.

How can you tell?

Some of you people complain about the weirdest things.

santo=dorf
Cupholders are on the backs of the blue seats. Probably be the same.
No, I wasn't expecting movie theater seats, but from that picture, It's hard to see a cup holder on the back of the seat.

Ol' No. 2
12-21-2004, 02:17 PM
No, I wasn't expecting movie theater seats, but from that picture, It's hard to see a cup holder on the back of the seat.Currently, they're attached to the upright between the seats. It's probably just not on the seat in the picture. I can't imagine they would have seats with no cupholders.

SilverAndBlack
12-21-2004, 02:19 PM
are the bleacher benches gonna be replaced by seats? they weren't clear on that.

mantis1212
12-21-2004, 02:19 PM
To follow up on the the previous FUNdenmentals discussions, take a look at the third image down- the "playpen" does NOT cover the concourse after all!

Ok, seeing the other picture, it still covers the concourse as well...meh

SilverAndBlack
12-21-2004, 02:22 PM
To follow up on the the previous FUNdenmentals discussions, take a look at the third image down- the "playpen" does NOT cover the concourse after all!
still looks outta place

*shrug*

Hangar18
12-21-2004, 02:49 PM
what the heck is going on with this thread? every time i refresh, it loses a few posts - including some of my witty ripostes...

???? really?

DumpJerry
12-21-2004, 02:51 PM
Hmmm.....mix of blue and green seats? Sounds like they don't want to have too many beer sales at the park, we're gonna be nauseous looking at the color combo!

maurice
12-21-2004, 02:59 PM
http://whitesox.mlb.com/cws/images/ballpark/expressway_750x500.jpg
Looks great, except for that monstrosity in LF.

anewman35
12-21-2004, 03:05 PM
Looks great, except for that monstrosity in LF.
You're right, I miss the Chevy Billboard!

HomeFish
12-21-2004, 03:05 PM
FUNdamentals actually blends in really well in that. I'm surprised.

What I don't like is that the green seats are made to look retro. I've always liked the idea of the Cell being a nice modern park, and this is regressive.

Baby Fisk
12-21-2004, 03:10 PM
What I don't like is that the green seats are made to look retro. I've always liked the idea of the Cell being a nice modern park, and this is regressive.How does that look retro? I think it looks classy.

HomeFish
12-21-2004, 03:11 PM
How does that look retro? I think it looks classy.

Its made to resemble an old-style wooden seat.

mweflen
12-21-2004, 03:12 PM
I love the new seats. Even though I haven't seen them in person yet.

Ol' No. 2
12-21-2004, 03:13 PM
I love the new seats. Even though I haven't seen them in person yet.They look very comfortable.:D:

MRKARNO
12-21-2004, 03:15 PM
They look very comfortable.:D:
What are you saying? They're going to throw everyone's back out and cause a class action lawsuit.

Rocky Soprano
They look very comfortable.:D:

:redneck

I actually LOVE how the park looks. Can't wait to see it on opening day.

How many days are left?

Baby Fisk
Its made to resemble an old-style wooden seat.
What would a nice modern seat look like? If it's anything like the seats at nice modern Skydome, I'd pass.

Mickster
12-21-2004, 03:22 PM
What would a nice modern seat look like?
http://store1.yimg.com/I/htmarket_1814_9665994

Too bad JR is cheap! :redneck

LVSoxFan
12-21-2004, 03:22 PM
:redneck

I actually LOVE how the park looks. Can't wait to see it on opening day.

How many days are left?
I agree: I love the way the park looks since they thankfully sawed off those nosebleed rows and put on the roof.

I think the green seats will be great. I just hope the "fundamentals" part doesn't chew up too much concourse space (I've spent entire games wandering the concourse, which is IMO one of the best features of The Cell).

mweflen
12-21-2004, 03:25 PM
I am incapable of complaining about the new seats.

Yep, can't even think of one potential problem.

:whistle:

Ol' No. 2
12-21-2004, 03:39 PM
I agree: I love the way the park looks since they thankfully sawed off those nosebleed rows and put on the roof.

I think the green seats will be great. I just hope the "fundamentals" part doesn't chew up too much concourse space (I've spent entire games wandering the concourse, which is IMO one of the best features of The Cell).I can tell you guys that are compaining about the fundamentals area don't have kids. Believe me, that's a HUGE plus. It will attract families like nobody's business. It's a rare 5 year old that can sit for 3 hours watching a ball game without getting fidgetty. To have a place where they can go and burn off some energy and still be able to watch the game is a great feature.

mweflen
12-21-2004, 03:41 PM
I like the FUNdamentals idea because it will help to attract kids and keep them baseball fans for life, and will probably generate some badly needed good publicity for the Sox. It looks nice from the renderings on the site.

No really, I like it.

I wish it wouldn't block the info board for people on the 3rd base side, though.

Baby Fisk
12-21-2004, 03:42 PM
I can tell you guys that are compaining about the fundamentals area don't have kids.
You've captured the gist of the entire debate.

Jjav829
12-21-2004, 03:44 PM
Great. This will make watching our sub-par pitching staff get rocked so much easier to take! I can feel the green seeping into me as I type this.

alohafri
12-21-2004, 03:48 PM
Hooray!!! Who needs pitching when you've got GREEN SEATS!!!
While I love the return to the green seats, this isn't exactly the missing link. Does anyone out there think that the Red Sox are having press releases announcing the improvements made to their field by our own Roger Bossard? Highly unlikely.

Save these for a real free agent signing!

Jerko
12-21-2004, 03:51 PM
Great. This will make watching our sub-par pitching staff get rocked so much easier to take! I can feel the green seeping into me as I type this.
Maybe we can use the fundamentals area like the Twins use the air conditioning at the Humpdome. We can have a big fan up there "hidden" in the fundamentals area outfield wall and turn it on so the wind is always "blowing in" when the visitors are up. Then we can turn it off when the Sox are up. The green seats are just a disguise so it takes the visitors a few years to figure out that we're cheating.

Parrothead
12-21-2004, 04:17 PM
I can tell you guys that are compaining about the fundamentals area don't have kids. Believe me, that's a HUGE plus. It will attract families like nobody's business. It's a rare 5 year old that can sit for 3 hours watching a ball game without getting fidgetty. To have a place where they can go and burn off some energy and still be able to watch the game is a great feature.
I really don't think that the Kids area will help attendance at all (but green seats will). While kids will have a good time at the Fundementals area, it is still the parents who have to bring the kids. Most parents work during the week and kids have to go to school prior to summer break, so bringing kids during the week is most likely out. Weekend tickets are at a minimum $24 per seat prior to summer and $28 after that and even more for the NYY, BOS and LA. With the economy as it is today not many parents have that much disposable income to spend over $100 for a game more than maybe one game a month.

My opinion is that the Sox need to market more towards people with more disposal income, i.e. single people out of college/high school. Or the Sox could have more more day games during the summer and lower ticket prices on these day games so that more families can attend, if they would like keep the "family atmosphere."

ChiSoxGoddessOH
12-21-2004, 04:20 PM
I think I shall like the green seats. Yay.

mweflen
12-21-2004, 04:24 PM
:welcome:

But be sure to bring a lumbar pillow. :wink:

Baby Fisk
12-21-2004, 04:25 PM
I think I shall like the green seats. Yay.:welcome:

A new member with Goddess status already!

ChiSoxGoddessOH
12-21-2004, 04:27 PM
Yes...I AM THE GODDESS. Heh. Thanks for the welcome :D:

Kilroy
12-21-2004, 04:36 PM
Who is "you guys"?
The FOGS, of course...

ChiSoxRowand
12-21-2004, 04:36 PM
I want to keep the blue seats. Pretty much every other stadium in the league has green seats.

mikef1331
12-21-2004, 04:48 PM
Here's another little tid-bit of info about the seats from the article on the Sox site:
Aisle seats in each row will feature one of the club's historical logos.

This should be a pretty cool looking feature.

IronFisk
12-21-2004, 04:50 PM
:bandance: My vote exactly.

batmanZoSo
12-21-2004, 05:03 PM

They'll be doing it progressively DURING this season, with the Lower Deck being completed in the offseason.
This will be an incalculable improvement in my opinion. Just as far as the park's appearance goes. They should have done it in 2001 when they first started working on the place.

I love the design of the chairs, too. They have some character to them unlike the current ones which are just flat blue things. This should create a more welcoming feel to the park.

I hope they're a little bigger, too. Can't do nothing about the leg room, but more elbow room would be nice. But that would mean fewer seats, so pipe dream.

Jjav829
12-21-2004, 05:06 PM
Here's another little tid-bit of info about the seats from the article on the Sox site:

This should be a pretty cool looking feature.
And if we don't find another starter soon, certain seats will make you eligible to be the starter every 5th day.

Foulke You
12-21-2004, 05:13 PM
And if we don't find another starter soon, certain seats will make you eligible to be the starter every 5th day.
Actually, I thought the Sox would use the Fundamentals area as a proving ground for the 5th starter spot.:D:

soltrain21
12-21-2004, 05:15 PM
Actually, I thought the Sox would use the Fundamentals area as a proving ground for the 5th starter spot.:D:
And here comes Timmy from Parkview pre-school.

:hawk
"Parkview Pre-school....yews!"

batmanZoSo
12-21-2004, 05:22 PM
I am incapable of complaining about the new seats.

Yep, can't even think of one potential problem.

:whistle:
I don't get why people are complaining about the Fundamentals deck. They must miss that billboard, I tell ya.

HomeFish
12-21-2004, 05:27 PM
My only problem with Fundamentals is going to be the fact that it'll make me feel jealous. I never got taken out to anything like that when I was a kid.

If they put in a batting cage that non-kids could use (like they have in St. Louis and like we already have with the speed pitch), it could go a little bit towards making that jealousy go away.

lths06
12-21-2004, 05:33 PM
My only problem with Fundamentals is going to be the fact that it'll make me feel jealous. I never got taken out to anything like that when I was a kid.

If they put in a batting cage that non-kids could use (like they have in St. Louis and like we already have with the speed pitch), it could go a little bit towards making that jealousy go away.
If they put a batting cage in there for adults, I and probably most everyone else wouldn't have a problem with it

batmanZoSo
12-21-2004, 05:35 PM

Well you can't have adults swinging away on the fundamentals deck, hitting flys all the way to the pitchers mound.

I have no interest in a batting cage. There's no way I'm waiting in a long line and I'm busy watching the game in the first place. But it's something for the casual fan, so that might be a good idea. We have a ton of room in the outfield for all kinds of Turner field type stuff. We should eliminate all the billboards and make a few neat looking buildings that house all that fun kinda stuff. Plus restaurants, shops and all that crap. And let some space be open view for the outside world. Extend the upper deck on one side three sections. As long as those damn billboards are gone. Fundamentals isn't my favorite thing, but it'll look a lot nicer than a 50 foot ad.

soltrain21
12-21-2004, 05:39 PM
Fundamentals isn't my favorite thing, but it'll look a lot nicer than a 50 foot ad.
Exactly! It adds a lot of character to the park.

lths06
12-21-2004, 05:42 PM
We should eliminate all the billboards and make a few neat looking buildings that house all that fun kinda stuff. Plus restaurants, shops and all that crap. And let some space be open view for the outside world. Extend the upper deck on one side three sections. As long as those damn billboards are gone. Fundamentals isn't my favorite thing, but it'll look a lot nicer than a 50 foot ad.
Eliminate the billboards and eliminate any hopes of getting a #3 starter. At least for now.

soltrain21
12-21-2004, 05:44 PM
What billboard will be down, anyways? I know that Exelon one is in right field, what was in left?

Is this also going to block the view of the Frank Thomas stuff that was on the concourse? I forgot about that.

HomeFish
12-21-2004, 05:47 PM
I have no interest in a batting cage. There's no way I'm waiting in a long line and I'm busy watching the game in the first place. But it's something for the casual fan, so that might be a good idea.

I did it before the game when I visited St. Louis, and the lines were actually really short. You have to fill out paperwork to go in, because of the potential injury, and that just seems to discourage a lot of people.

ewokpelts
12-21-2004, 05:47 PM

They'll be doing it progressively DURING this season, with the Lower Deck being completed in the offseason.does that mean the upper deck will sell out BEFORE the lower deck?
Gene

batmanZoSo
12-21-2004, 05:54 PM
Eliminate the billboards and eliminate any hopes of getting a #3 starter. At least for now.
I'm not against the concept of advertising in the park, but there's a classy way to do that. You don't just build a model expressway along the outfield.

We can't seem to get a starter WITH giant billboards, so we might as well have a nice looking park, right?

maurice
12-21-2004, 07:19 PM
You're right, I miss the Chevy Billboard!I don't get why people are complaining about the Fundamentals deck. They must miss that billboard, I tell ya. I don't get why people complain about German Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder. They must miss Adolph Hitler.
:kukoo:

batmanZoSo
12-21-2004, 07:22 PM
It's only natural that a green seats thread gives rise to a Hitler reference.

This thread is officially hijacked....

Andy T Clown
12-21-2004, 07:26 PM
The green seats will last a lot longer without all those home run hitters beating them up.:gulp:

Hitmen77
12-21-2004, 07:44 PM
It's only natural that a green seats thread gives rise to a Hitler reference.

This thread is officially hijacked....

It was already hijacked by the people whining about the new FUNdamentals section. We don't need any godamm kids at the park! I hate children, so anyone with kids can go to Wrigley as far as I'm concerned! That new kids areas that is completely behind any of the seats is going to ruin the game for me! blah blah blah blah blah.......

maurice
12-21-2004, 07:52 PM
If you're concernined about thread hijacking, consider a moritorium on illogical strawman attacks against people who have the gall to dislike the "fundamentals" proposal. The dislike is well-supported by valid reasons (see, e.g, post #68 of this thread and posts by Randar, et al. in previous threads). None of those reasons involve an unnatural love of billboards or hatred of children.

I've taken many children to the Cell and spent long hours from batting practice to post-game at the old Comiskey without the befefit of a playland in LF. That's why they and I are Sox fans and not a batting-cage fans.

anewman35
12-21-2004, 08:02 PM
I've taken many children to the Cell and spent long hours from batting practice to post-game at the old Comiskey without the befefit of a playland in LF. That's why they and I are Sox fans and not a batting-cage fans.
Just because YOUR children care about baseball and not batting cages, does that mean that ALL children think the same way?

Frank the Tank
12-21-2004, 08:36 PM
As long as there is a homerun porch planned for 2006, I will be a happy. Although it seems ridiculous that the color of the seats will actually make a positive impact, I really think it will. I originally didn't like the fundamentals idea, but now I do. I think it adds to the selling points of the ballpark. I always hear the following camparisons of the Chicago ballparks:

Wrigley- "old-time" baseball mystique, beautiful ivy, manual scoreboard, blah, blah blah (I personally don't undertand the Wrigley experience)

Comiskey - something for everyone.

- Tailgating
- Autograph days
- Dog Days
- Kids and old people can run the bases after select games
- scout seats for rich people
- 1/2 price nights the financially challenged
- Video crap for people that don't care about baseball (hat game, etc..)
- Fundamentals for kids and families

Not to mention that the sox need to "recruit" future fans. So although fundamentals won't have too much of an immediate impact, theoretically we should have more sox fans in the future generations.

maurice
12-21-2004, 08:40 PM
Just because YOUR children care about baseball and not batting cages, does that mean that ALL children think the same way?You're assuming it's all luck or coincidence. The kids care about baseball, because I taught them about the game . . . the same way my dad taught me. Kids are better off in the seats watching and learning the game in the proud tradition of knowledgeable Sox fans. They don't belong in cages, learning to be stereotypical mini cub fans who don't know who's pitching and never heard of the IF fly rule.

I have nothing against batting cages, but they shouldn't be considered an alternative to actually watching the baseball game. If that's your plan, save some $$$ and take them to Haunted Trails instead . . . or on a different day. In fact, young Sox fans already can enjoy batting cages before the game in the existing fundmentals area. The US Cellular money would be better spent on other proposals.

rwcescato
12-21-2004, 09:58 PM

I agree. That is all you heard for such a long time. I personally could care a less what color the seats are. As long as they win!!

soltrain21
12-21-2004, 10:31 PM
I agree. That is all you heard for such a long time. I personally could care a less what color the seats are. As long as they win!!

Well they don't win, so let us have our green seats!

MRKARNO
12-21-2004, 10:39 PM
Wait, wait:

:tomatoaward

OK now we can proceed

soxnut
12-21-2004, 11:47 PM
Wait, wait:

:tomatoaward

OK now we can proceed
Maybe it should have been a GREEN tomato this time.:smile:

popilius
12-22-2004, 01:02 AM
Regarding the blue seats: Although they are not "Flubby Blue," they're close enough! I'm glad they will be eradicated.

Also, I disntinctly remember Ed Farmer feeling strongly about having Green seats. If I remember correctly, he brought it up with JR on a radio interview last spring.

Could it be that Farmio is the brains behind the operation?! :o:

pinwheels3530
12-22-2004, 02:40 AM
Green seats finally......now where's our World Series, JR? :angry:

:reinsy "We just can't afford one these green seats cost me a fortune!"

DMarte708
12-22-2004, 02:58 AM
For those of you complaining this FUNdementals exhibit will impede your concourse experience, compare these two pictures:

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/images/ballpark/uscellular_field04_581.jpg

-and-

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/images/ballpark/fundamentals_212x119.jpg

FUNdementals replaces only small portion of the concourse. If you approximate the length of each billboard as begin equal, including the scoreboard, 14% of total concourse space is occupied with FUNdementals. It's not worth complaining about. I'll just do my part to avoid LF bleachers.

Baines2Raines
12-22-2004, 03:12 AM
Only on WSI would there be a thread with seven pages worth of posts about the color of seats at the stadium. God we White Sox fans must live exciting lives.

I wonder if the blue seats will be sold to the public. Many older stadiums sold seats to the public. There might not be a huge demand but it's worth a try.

Gammons Peter
12-22-2004, 08:42 AM
Adults can use the batting cage and its free. Been that way for years. Used to be down in the old fundamentals area and I'm sure it will be bigger and better now

Hangar18
12-22-2004, 10:04 AM
Like I said, what really makes these Green seats stand out ......
is the BLack Roof, Black SteelWork, the Black Lighting, and the Black
SteelTrusses in the outfield. It looks Really really good. Too bad
they didnt keep the Outfield Walls BLACK like in the 2003 season .....
that would make the park look SHARP instead of the used-all-over-baseball
dull green that is on now .......(Or make the walls Deep Forest Green)
Our park is finally starting to look really nice ........

Now, remove the Billboards (or do something Creative with them)
and put Brickwork halfway up on the Outside of the Stadium ......
and weve got ourselves a ballpark

Deadguy
12-22-2004, 10:08 AM
This is the best news I've read in a long time. The stadium is going to look fantastic now.

batmanZoSo
12-22-2004, 10:10 AM

I was a fan of the black fences. I thought it was pretty cool looking in 03, minus all the fireworks and ads. But it could be worse than what we have now...it could be BLUE!

At least the place doesn't look like a football stadium anymore.

Hangar18
12-22-2004, 10:16 AM
I was a fan of the black fences. I thought it was pretty cool looking in 03

Agreed. Everytime I watched ESPN in 03 and saw hilites, I IMMEDIATELY knew
it was COMISKEY PARK because of our BLACK Walls, they looked excellent.
The Black walls made all the other colors Stand out very prominently, like
the Roof and Trusswork currently does. Black also makes me think of
our colors, black and silver, and makes our park look great.
Cmon SOX ....... Black Walls!

zach074
12-22-2004, 10:22 AM
Everyone always says bad things about US Cellular Field but i love it i think its a great place to watch a ball game. But then again i never went to old Comisky and the only other stadium i watched a game at was Wrigley, and we know how that goes.

Frater Perdurabo
12-22-2004, 10:27 AM
I agree with Hangar; the dark green will go well with the black. Brick would make it even better. Can't wait for July, when I make my annual trek back home to coincide with a good homestand at the Cell.

soxfan43
12-22-2004, 10:31 AM
the cell gets a bad rep but really the only thing terrible about it is the location. its a pain in the ass to get to. but the food is good, the fireworks are great and you don't have to miss 2 innings if you gotta take apiss, like a certain other ballpark in town.

soxrme
12-22-2004, 10:55 AM

They'll be doing it progressively DURING this season, with the Lower Deck being completed in the offseason.Thank God we are getting this. Maybe now the posts about it will stop.

SSN721
12-22-2004, 11:27 AM
I can tell you guys that are compaining about the fundamentals area don't have kids. Believe me, that's a HUGE plus. It will attract families like nobody's business. It's a rare 5 year old that can sit for 3 hours watching a ball game without getting fidgetty. To have a place where they can go and burn off some energy and still be able to watch the game is a great feature.
I dont have kids and I think it is a great idea. (No sarcasm intended):D:

Hitmen77
12-22-2004, 11:40 AM
the cell gets a bad rep but really the only thing terrible about it is the location. its a pain in the ass to get to. but the food is good, the fireworks are great and you don't have to miss 2 innings if you gotta take apiss, like a certain other ballpark in town.
Why is it so hard to get to? It's completely accessible by el and by expressway/parking. Wrigley is more difficult to get to for alot of people, but that doesn't stop the brain-dead masses from showing up.

It isn't the accessibility, but the lack of anything around the park that's the problem.

anewman35
12-22-2004, 11:42 AM
Why is it so hard to get to? It's completely accessible by el and by expressway/parking. Wrigley is more difficult to get to for alot of people, but that doesn't stop the brain-dead masses from showing up.

It isn't the accessibility, but the lack of anything around the park that's the problem.
It's not in a good neighborhood like Wrigley Field is.

HomeFish
12-22-2004, 01:22 PM
Agreed. Everytime I watched ESPN in 03 and saw hilites, I IMMEDIATELY knew
it was COMISKEY PARK because of our BLACK Walls,

In 2004, the retired numbers on the walls had the same effect for me.

maurice
12-22-2004, 01:56 PM
Why is it so hard to get to?
I didn't understand that comment either, though I've heard it before. The Cell is centrally located in the Chicago metro area, right off a major expressway, blocks from two el lines, steps away from several bus lines, and surrounded by parking lots.

Now, if they'd only do some work around the lots to make the place look and feel more urban, we'd be in business. Anybody know what's going on with the lot on 35th / Normal?

Rush20
12-22-2004, 04:59 PM

I would also like to see them brick over the exposed concrete inside the park similar to what they did in the concourse areas. Add some outside balconies to the first row skyboxes (black of course) and fill in those ugly guard tower gunner turrets on each side of the press box and we'll have a winner.

The better news is that they still have a few million in the kitty for the final 2006 rennovations. I'm hoping for (a) upper home run deck/porch in right connecting to the stadium club and (b) a new LF entrance and removal of the exterior pedestrian ramps.

CecilCooper
12-22-2004, 05:11 PM
I would also like to see them brick over the exposed concrete inside the park similar to what they did in the concourse areas. Add some outside balconies to the first row skyboxes (black of course) and fill in those ugly guard tower gunner turrets on each side of the press box and we'll have a winner.

The better news is that they still have a few million in the kitty for the final 2006 rennovations. I'm hoping for (a) upper home run deck/porch in right connecting to the stadium club and (b) a new LF entrance and removal of the exterior pedestrian ramps.I disagree with bricks on the outer walls. I think it would clash with the whole Bauhaus-inspired feel of the UD windscreen.

If they remove the ramps, how are people supposed to get into the park? Interior ramps, in addition to probably not being feasible, are too much like Wrigley for my comfort.

lths06
12-22-2004, 05:22 PM

The better news is that they still have a few million in the kitty for the final 2006 rennovations. I'm hoping for (a) upper home run deck/porch in right connecting to the stadium club and (b) a new LF entrance and removal of the exterior pedestrian ramps.
I would be thrilled if we just get a HR porch, though I don't think even that will happen.

Wealz
12-22-2004, 05:41 PM
and fill in those ugly guard tower gunner turrets on each side of the press box and we'll have a winner.
That space is wheelchair accessible "seats" for the club level.

batmanZoSo
12-22-2004, 05:45 PM

I even like the idea of the Texas style home run porch with the beams. With the new roof, it would actually match. I think that would be a simpler idea than to extend the main upper deck with all the stadium club stuff attached to it. Just a few poles, a roof and 25 rows of seats placed over the right field area. That would cut out two more billboards. The Fun deck takes out another. So if we retain the two auxiliary scoreboards, we're down to only one space for an ad billboard. And hopefully they just 86 that one as well and open the park up to the outside world a little bit. I'd have the main scoreboard beset by the lineup/message board and the out-of-town scoreboard. Then open space next to both.

Now we got ourselves a ballpark.

lths06
12-22-2004, 05:58 PM
I even like the idea of the Texas style home run porch with the beams. With the new roof, it would actually match. I think that would be a simpler idea than to extend the main upper deck with all the stadium club stuff attached to it. Just a few poles, a roof and 25 rows of seats placed over the right field area. That would cut out two more billboards. The Fun deck takes out another. So if we retain the two auxiliary scoreboards, we're down to only one space for an ad billboard. And hopefully they just 86 that one as well and open the park up to the outside world a little bit. I'd have the main scoreboard beset by the lineup/message board and the out-of-town scoreboard. Then open space next to both.

Now we got ourselves a ballpark.
I agree 100% with you. Too bad money doesn't grow on trees, though...

soxnut
12-22-2004, 10:52 PM
More than likely, WE ARE NOT GETTING A "HOME RUN PORCH", similar to what they have in Texas.:(: If you looked at the HKS website in the past, in the first picture they actually accidentally had the type of UD we are more than likely going to get. They have changed their website since, but someone did post the pic here as to what it would look like.

A couple of weeks ago, I talked to a guy who has worked at the park over the past 5 years or so, trying to get some inside information from him. Before the announcement about green seats, he said that they were considering either green seats or tan seats. He also mentioned that they may try a club level type service for the first few rows of the upper deck. The other thing I asked him about was a right field upper deck. He told me that it would be something that would be over the concourse and cover the last few rows of the right field lower deck.--That is exactly what the rendering on the HKS site is showing.

Another note, I emailed Brooks about the possibility of putting a retro-analog clock on the scoreboard, right where McDonald's has it's logo. I mentioned that I thought it could even be sponsored by McDonald's, with one of their retro logos. He thought it was a great idea, and he even had the idea himself, and had approached McD's about it. Unfortunatley the idiots at McDonald's DON'T WANT TO DO IT!:angry: He asked me what I thought about putting a clock on the elevator tower on the fan deck. I said I preferred it to be on the scoreboard somewhere even if McD's doesn't want it. But if it had to go on the elevator tower, it would have to be big enough to see--moe like the size of the Budweiser clock that is on the restaurant deck at Turner Field. I think it's a real shame that McDonald's won't participate.

Hangar18
12-23-2004, 09:18 AM
More than likely, WE ARE NOT GETTING A "HOME RUN PORCH", similar to what they have in Texas.:(:

Another note, I emailed Brooks about the possibility of putting a retro-analog clock on the scoreboard, right where McDonald's has it's logo. I mentioned that I thought it could even be sponsored by McDonald's, with one of their retro logos. He thought it was a great idea, and he even had the idea himself, and had approached McD's about it. Unfortunatley the idiots at McDonald's DON'T WANT TO DO IT!:angry: He asked me what I thought about putting a clock on the elevator tower on the fan deck. I said I preferred it to be on the scoreboard somewhere even if McD's doesn't want it. But if it had to go on the elevator tower, it would have to be big enough to see--moe like the size of the Budweiser clock that is on the restaurant deck at Turner Field. I think it's a real shame that McDonald's won't participate.
Isnt it Ironic that TEXAS tried to COPY what was Original about Old Comiskey?
Every time I see a Flyout or Homerun to RF in Texas, I always think of Old Comiskey. The Analog Clock thing was something I brought up back in
the day on a thread about making the Scoreboard look like the old one.
Its a great idea and screw McDonalds if they dont want to participate.
Id like to know who had the bright idea to REMOVE the clock in the first place
(and the 2 missing pinwheels)

soxnut
12-23-2004, 09:28 AM
Every time I see a Flyout or Homerun to RF in Texas, I always think of Old Comiskey. The Analog Clock thing was something I brought up back in
I know what you're saying about Texas. I feel the same way. It's funny how other ballparks have more touches of Old Comiskey than New Comiskey does.

I really am pissed about the whole McDonald's/clock situation. I can't believe that they don't want to do it. I know they don't want to piss off McD and ruin an ad relationship, but I would love for the Sox to say, "well we're changing it to a clock, and either McD's can sponsor it, or we'll have Miller or Pepsi do the honors". Honestly that's what I think that they should do. I doubt McD wouldn't want ads at the ballpark, so they would decide to do it or trade places on the scoreboard with Lite or Pepsi.

TornLabrum
12-23-2004, 09:50 AM
If you're talking about the right field upper deck, that was copied from Tiger Stadium.

darklord23
12-23-2004, 10:25 AM

i also liked the blue seats as well but i can live with green seats if they dont look that bad.

batmanZoSo
12-23-2004, 10:40 AM
More than likely, WE ARE NOT GETTING A "HOME RUN PORCH", similar to what they have in Texas.:(: If you looked at the HKS website in the past, in the first picture they actually accidentally had the type of UD we are more than likely going to get. They have changed their website since, but someone did post the pic here as to what it would look like.

A couple of weeks ago, I talked to a guy who has worked at the park over the past 5 years or so, trying to get some inside information from him. Before the announcement about green seats, he said that they were considering either green seats or tan seats. He also mentioned that they may try a club level type service for the first few rows of the upper deck. The other thing I asked him about was a right field upper deck. He told me that it would be something that would be over the concourse and cover the last few rows of the right field lower deck.--That is exactly what the rendering on the HKS site is showing.

Link?

Hangar18
12-23-2004, 10:59 AM
If you're talking about the right field upper deck, that was copied from Tiger Stadium.
wait a second, Comiskey was Older than Briggs (tiger) Stadium

lths06
12-23-2004, 11:30 AM
wait a second, Comiskey was Older than Briggs (tiger) Stadium
So?

PaleHoseGeorge
12-23-2004, 11:50 AM
For the millionth time on this board, those advocating a new "home run porch" for the Cell prove what complete know-nothings they are about the history of their own ballpark, the orgins of the term "home run porch" and even which ballpark the architect in Texas was imitating.

But, please continue with this fascinating discussion... I can't wait for the retro analog clock with the McDonald's arches on the face.

<rolls eyes>

ewokpelts
12-23-2004, 12:20 PM
For the millionth time on this board, those advocating a new "home run porch" for the Cell prove what complete know-nothings they are about the history of their own ballpark, the orgins of the term "home run porch" and even which ballpark the architect in Texas was imitating.

But, please continue with this fascinating discussion... I can't wait for the retro analog clock with the McDonald's arches on the face.

<rolls eyes>George,
I want a "upper deck" over the right field concourse......i've never cale dit ahome run porch, and if you look at the "secret" design pics....it's not going to ovewr hang the field or lower reserved seats....if anything, it'll be like the brewers right field loge seats..
Gene

Hangar18
12-23-2004, 12:28 PM
George,
I want a "upper deck" over the right field concourse......i've never cale dit ahome run porch, and if you look at the "secret" design pics....it's not going to ovewr hang the field or lower reserved seats....if anything, it'll be like the brewers right field loge seats..
Gene
Plus, Tiger stadiums seats in the outfields were ALL at field level,
with that bogus looking fence on top of the walls. The UpperDeck
in RF Overhangs. Anytime you see Tiger Stadium, with its lite blue walls
and fencing, you immediately think of ...........Tiger Stadium. When
I see the Dark Military Green Walls, with the fan seating about 8 feet high,
and the Posts holding the upper deck just a few rows up, I think of Comiskey.

BridgePortNative
12-23-2004, 01:01 PM
the cell gets a bad rep but really the only thing terrible about it is the location. its a pain in the ass to get to. but the food is good, the fireworks are great and you don't have to miss 2 innings if you gotta take apiss, like a certain other ballpark in town.I dont see it being hard for me to get there............. then again I only walk a few blocks anyway. :D: :)

BridgePortNative
12-23-2004, 01:07 PM
I didn't understand that comment either, though I've heard it before. The Cell is centrally located in the Chicago metro area, right off a major expressway, blocks from two el lines, steps away from several bus lines, and surrounded by parking lots.

Now, if they'd only do some work around the lots to make the place look and feel more urban, we'd be in business. Anybody know what's going on with the lot on 35th / Normal?I as wondering that too I hope they rebuild McCuddy's :gulp:

TornLabrum
12-23-2004, 01:28 PM
Plus, Tiger stadiums seats in the outfields were ALL at field level,
with that bogus looking fence on top of the walls. The UpperDeck
in RF Overhangs. Anytime you see Tiger Stadium, with its lite blue walls
and fencing, you immediately think of ...........Tiger Stadium. When
I see the Dark Military Green Walls, with the fan seating about 8 feet high,
and the Posts holding the upper deck just a few rows up, I think of Comiskey.
From ballparkwatch.com, http://www.ballparkwatch.com/stadiums/arlington.htm: "Worth noting is the right-field double-decked home run porch, designed to emulate Tiger Stadium's famous right-field bleachers."

From ballparks of baseball.com, http://www.ballparksofbaseball.com/alwest.htm: "Some of the best seats, the second tier of what they call "Home Run Porch" in right field (looks just like old Tiger Stadium): you can't see the instant replay or main scoreboard."

And finally from ballparktour.com, http://www.ballparktour.com/Former_Detroit.html:

"The RF granstand at Tiger Stadium was the inspiration for the home run porch at Ameriquest Field in Arlington (http://www.ballparktour.com/Arlington.html). The Texas Rangers copied the look, including the obstructive colums, but without an actual overhang."

Not a reference to Comiskey in the bunch.

BridgePortNative
12-23-2004, 01:30 PM
I know this has nothing to do with this conversation, but, ain't it something that nobody wants Ordonez the same reason we didn't want him -
That is because all the medical reports wouldn't be issued and Scott Boras won't let team doctors look at him.
I guess we made a good move not signing him, nobody else will...............

Hangar18
12-23-2004, 02:00 PM
From ballparkwatch.com, http://www.ballparkwatch.com/stadiums/arlington.htm: "Worth noting is the right-field double-decked home run porch, designed to emulate Tiger Stadium's famous right-field bleachers."

From ballparks of baseball.com, http://www.ballparksofbaseball.com/alwest.htm: "Some of the best seats, the second tier of what they call "Home Run Porch" in right field (looks just like old Tiger Stadium): you can't see the instant replay or main scoreboard."

And finally from ballparktour.com, http://www.ballparktour.com/Former_Detroit.html:

"The RF granstand at Tiger Stadium was the inspiration for the home run porch at Ameriquest Field in Arlington (http://www.ballparktour.com/Arlington.html). The Texas Rangers copied the look, including the obstructive colums, but without an actual overhang."

Not a reference to Comiskey in the bunch.

Thats pretty bogus. It was designed to Mimic Tiger Stadium, except nothing about it looks like Tiger Stadium, neither the Overhang, the FieldLevel
Seating or the Fencing. Nice. Back in the 70's, Chevy wanted to mimic its own muscle Corvette by introducing the Chevette (except that it didnt go fast, didnt look like a muscle car, and had a 4 cylinder engine instead of an 8)

I want Mags back
12-23-2004, 03:28 PM

I'm going to assume they will sell them for white sox cahrities

Now we can look at those pieces of s*** every day in our living rooms

I want Mags back
12-23-2004, 03:34 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/ballpark/green_seat.html

Here is a picture of the seat

They look really retro

I will assume the sides will have different logos in different sections

chisox77
12-23-2004, 03:42 PM
No need to get another pitcher, or another good infielder, or a real closer. No, not at all. The green seats will inspire the Pale Hose to 92 wins and a first round exit. Hooray!!! (But seriously, I am in favor of green seats - The "New" Park looks much better than it did on Opening Day, 1991)

TornLabrum
12-23-2004, 07:44 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/ballpark/green_seat.html

Here is a picture of the seat

They look really retro

I will assume the sides will have different logos in different sections
I haven't sat in one yet, but it looks pretty uncomfortable to me!

batmanZoSo
12-23-2004, 07:57 PM
No need to get another pitcher, or another good infielder, or a real closer. No, not at all. The green seats will inspire the Pale Hose to 92 wins and a first round exit. Hooray!!! (But seriously, I am in favor of green seats - The "New" Park looks much better than it did on Opening Day, 1991)
Yeah I don't know why they didn't spend all that seat money on a free agent pitcher.