PDA

View Full Version : cubs want to keep nets at the Urinal

maurice
12-21-2004, 12:58 PM
They've expended a tremendous amount of effort to expand Wrigley onto city-owned property, but somehow remain unable to keep chunks of concrete from dropping off of the structure. From the Sun-Times (http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-wrig21.html):
Cubs' engineers [recommended] that safety nets remain in place for the 2005 season and beyond. . . . Earlier this year, after weight-bearing tests determined the falling concrete was not caused by the stadium's steel beams, [city building commissioner] Kaderbek told the Chicago Sun-Times, "Those nets have to come down by April." . . .

Mike Lufrano, vice president of community relations for the Cubs, was tight-lipped about Monday's meeting, which included engineers from Wiss Janney, the Structural Shop and Osborn Engineering. "We gave him the draft report. He's going to review it. We look forward to his comments," Lufrano said.

Earlier this month, Kaderbek expressed his frustration that work was going on "in a vacuum" at 90-year-old Wrigley, even though City Hall still didn't know the underlying cause of the falling concrete that infuriated Mayor Daley and made national headlines. Fueling Kaderbek's frustration was the fact that Wiss Janney Elstner still hadn't completed the hands-on inspection of Wrigley that Kaderbek mandated after the season.
The Trib article (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-0412210161dec21,1,2384282.story?coll=chi-news-hed) denies knowledge of the contents of the report. That makes sense. The company that owns the team that issued the report doesn't know what it says, because "team officials and [the city] declined to disclose details of the draft" . . . but the Sun-Times is all over it.

Ol' No. 2
12-21-2004, 01:24 PM
They've expended a tremendous amount of effort to expand Wrigley onto city-owned property, but somehow remain unable to keep chunks of concrete from dropping off of the structure. From the Sun-Times (http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-wrig21.html):

The Trib article (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-0412210161dec21,1,2384282.story?coll=chi-news-hed) denies knowledge of the contents of the report. That makes sense. The company that owns the team that issued the report doesn't know what it says, because "team officials and [the city] declined to disclose details of the draft" . . . but the Sun-Times is all over it.I think I know what's causing the problems with the concrete.

It's 90 years old!!!!

SOXSINCE'70
12-21-2004, 02:06 PM
Maybe the nets will prevent them in case
they fall in the standings.:D: :D: :D:

maurice
12-21-2004, 03:08 PM
A preliminary engineering report on Wrigley Field falls short of laying out a permanent solution to the problem of concrete falling from the upper deck, city Buildings Commissioner Stan Kaderbek said today. . . . "If I read between the lines, the precast (concrete) has to be replaced," Kaderbek said. "The question is when. They'd better tell me. One year, five years, 10 years?"

"I think it is irresponsible to say that netting is a solution," Kaderbek said. "By way of comparison, we expect buildings to actively pursue repairs to make facades safe." The city does not "allow people to net entire buildings," he said. If that were the case, he added, "you never would have to fix anything." The Cubs need to formulate a plan to replace deteriorating concrete panels in the upper deck area, Kaderbek said. The commissioner said he expected his concerns to be addressed in a final report to be delivered by the Cubs' engineering team by Dec. 31.
Linky (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-041221wrigley,1,5269273.story?coll=chi-news-hed)

StockdaleForVeep
12-21-2004, 03:59 PM
Maybe its to prevent fans from snapping and jumping off the rafters BUT if this is true, comisky will need this saftey feature too at the rate this team is goin.

MUsoxfan
12-21-2004, 04:13 PM
This upsets me greatly that the city would EVEN THINK to allow those nets to stay up next year. If any of us owned a bar or a restaurant and our ceiling was falling down in chunks, they'd shut us down IMMEDIATELY and wouldn't even think to let me reopen until we redid the entire roof. It sickens me that this could even happen

Foulke You
12-21-2004, 06:24 PM
I think I know what's causing the problems with the concrete.

It's 90 years old!!!!

My thoughts exactly. It's OLD!! They are approaching this like its a murder mystery. "What could be causing the hallowed grounds of Wrigley to crumble?" It's called 90 blistering humid Chicago Summers, and 90 freezing sub-zero Chicago Winters. They've taken their toll, much as it did on Old Comiskey Park when it was 80 years old.

PaleHoseGeorge
12-21-2004, 06:33 PM
My thoughts exactly. It's OLD!! They are approaching this like its a murder mystery. "What could be causing the hallowed grounds of Wrigley to crumble?" It's called 90 blistering humid Chicago Summers, and 90 freezing sub-zero Chicago Winters. They've taken their toll, much as it did on Old Comiskey Park when it was 80 years old. Stop being such a cynical Sox Fan. Last summer Andy MacPhail assured everyone there was no structural problem with the Urinal. Now it's confirmed the steel support is fine, so obviously this is just ornamental concrete threatening the lives of 3 million Lovable Loser fans every summer."

:lynch&mcfail
"For 2005 the netting will be a delightful shade of chartruese. Meanwhile Cubs fans can buy commemorative pieces of the old 2004 netting at the Wrigley gift shop, already conveniently sliced into 5 inch squares. Retail price $10.95, concrete chunk extra.

:woo-woo
"Guess what part of my face the concrete landed on!"

Foulke You
12-21-2004, 07:41 PM
Stop being such a cynical Sox Fan. Last summer Andy MacPhail assured everyone there was no structural problem with the Urinal. Now it's confirmed the steel support is fine, so obviously this is just ornamental concrete threatening the lives of 3 million Lovable Loser fans every summer."

:lynch&mcfail
"For 2005 the netting will be a delightful shade of chartruese. Meanwhile Cubs fans can buy commemorative pieces of the old 2004 netting at the Wrigley gift shop, already conveniently sliced into 5 inch squares. Retail price $10.95, concrete chunk extra.

LOL! I'm thinking maybe they'll market the concrete chunks as "cursed concrete" and sell it to the Wrigley sheep as another method to break the curse. Concrete chunks that fall near the Bartman seat can go for extra money!

soxwon
12-21-2004, 07:55 PM
i heard that they built a better pipeline from the urinals

to the old style kegs.

this way they never run out of beer!!!

A.T. Money
12-22-2004, 04:46 PM
Wrigley Field blows. It must go.

Jabroni
12-22-2004, 05:36 PM
i heard that they built a better pipeline from the urinals

to the old style kegs.

this way they never run out of beer!!!MWAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Post-of-the-week! :)

Viva Medias B's
12-22-2004, 11:24 PM
LOL! I'm thinking maybe they'll market the concrete chunks as "cursed concrete" and sell it to the Wrigley sheep as another method to break the curse. Concrete chunks that fall near the Bartman seat can go for extra money!
Maybe Grant DePorter can blow these up.

soxnut
12-23-2004, 09:18 AM
Maybe Wrigley is near the end of it's life. Last Sept, when I was at a Sox game, I spoke with an on-duty Chicago police officer. He said that the Tribune company owns land(Western and California?) near Gordon Tech. He said that there are plans for a new Cubs ballpark to be built there. He said to look for that to happen no later than 2016 though.

So maybe this whole thing with the falling concrete, the renovations and the squabbles with the Wrigleyille residents is part of a scheme. This all could be a way to ease them out of Wrigley and give them a good excuse to build a new ballpark.

The officer also mentioned that JR controls all of the liquor licenses around the Bridgeport area, and that's why you don't see many bars around the ballpark.:(:

PaleHoseGeorge
12-23-2004, 11:29 AM
Maybe Wrigley is near the end of it's life. Last Sept, when I was at a Sox game, I spoke with an on-duty Chicago police officer. ....
Wow. That's quite a source you have there. What else did he tell you? Any winning lottery numbers?
:?:

Kogs35
12-23-2004, 12:27 PM
Wow. That's quite a source you have there. What else did he tell you? Any winning lottery numbers?
:?:
tonights power ball number are 16-23-33-36-52 and the number ball is 8

PaleHoseGeorge
12-24-2004, 09:46 AM
Hey this ws just for conversational purposes. Not factual informational purposes. But, I guess I should expect a comment like that from some Sox fans anyway. Typical.
No, please keep quoting him. ChiSoxTony left in a snit and we're running short on meaningless gossip right now.
:cool: