PDA

View Full Version : Schoney was to be our 5th starter???

Dolanski
12-21-2004, 11:21 AM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20041220&content_id=924524&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp
(http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20041220&content_id=924524&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp)
Cooper has been in contact with Schoeneweis throughout the off-season, and basically stated Monday that if Schoeneweis accepted the team's offer, he would have been the fifth starter.

If that's the case, wow, do I not feel so warm and fuzzy about the whole CLee/Pods deal. I liked Schoney, but I like him out of the pen. I thought the point of saving all that money with CLee was to get a starter to fill a 3 or 4 and move Garland to 5? What the hell is KW thinking?

Jabroni
12-21-2004, 11:22 AM
Old news and extremely sad news. I hope KW plans on spending more than $1.5 million on a 5th starter.

:chunks

kittle42
12-21-2004, 12:00 PM
As has been discussed to death elsewhere, why this would surprise anyone is beyond me.

jordan23ventura
12-21-2004, 01:57 PM
Did anyone ever think that maybe Schoe WASN'T who KW wanted as the fifth starter? Maybe that would explain why he wouldn't negotiate at all because he would have accepted Schoe back as insurance only? Something tells me that this is going to turn out to be a very good offseason for the Sox. The Sox have their eyes, I'm sure, on three players who can put them over the top: Piezynski, Eckstein, and Vazquez. IF, and it is a big IF, KW can land these guys we have a well-rounded lineup from top to bottom, above average defense, one of the best rotations in the AL, and a strong bullpen even without Marte.

Cheers to optimism.

Dolanski
12-21-2004, 02:01 PM
I just assumed per Schoney's whining and posturing last year that they were going to nontender him and part ways. I guess I didn't expect him to be offered a contract and handed the 5th starters job as Don Cooper makes it sound. THis especially bothers me in light of the CLee deal which KW all but said, I am getting another starter with the money we save.

Can someone please remind me again why I love/root for this team?

StillMissOzzie
12-21-2004, 05:05 PM
:reinsy

"Let's see now... $6M by sending Lee to Milwaukee, another $1.7M for not tendering Shoeneweis...now we can start shopping for that new starting pitch...BWAHAHAHAHHAHA, I couldn't finish that sentence with a straight face."

SMO
:angry:

tstrike2000
12-22-2004, 09:27 AM
I'm glad he didn't sign with us. He wanted a raise after starting well, then getting injured. Now we can get someone who doesn't have an over 5.00 ERA.