PDA

View Full Version : Dodgers submit paperwork on Big Unit deal...

Jabroni
12-21-2004, 12:17 PM
"Sources: Paperwork sent to Selig at 2 a.m."
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1950729

wdelaney72
12-21-2004, 12:28 PM
This deal doesn't do a whole lot for the Dodgers, except blow up any chances of competing in 2005.

SoxxoS
12-21-2004, 12:32 PM
That deal is just plain AWFUL for the D'Backs. Awful. They wasted 78 million on two question marks, and now they get rid of Randy Johnson for an overpaid and overrated Shawn Green, and a tad better than average Brad Penny.

34 Inch Stick
12-21-2004, 01:03 PM
It looks like the Yankees do pretty well by getting both Johnson and Ishii with the Dodgers picking up Ishii's salary. Two starting pitchers for 16 million a year is not that bad.

It would have been nice for the Sox to be involved in this deal and pick up Brown from the Yanks (with his salary being paid by the Yankees) and Vazquez from the Dodgers. The Sox could then freely part with Garland in a trade. Of course it would leave us with 3/5 of a Yankee staff that was not very good.

Dadawg_77
12-21-2004, 01:12 PM
That deal is just plain AWFUL for the D'Backs. Awful. They wasted 78 million on two question marks, and now they get rid of Randy Johnson for an overpaid and overrated Shawn Green, and a tad better than average Brad Penny.
Yeah [old joke] D'Backs GM must have forgotten he isn't getting paid a % of players contracts anymore [/old joke]

SOXSINCE'70
12-21-2004, 02:09 PM
Johnson will be a Yankmee shortly.At least that's what
all indications look like now.:(: :(:

P.S.-this is my 1,000th post!!

All together now:

"WE'RE HAPPY FOR YA!!":supernana: :supernana:

Shingotime!!
12-21-2004, 02:19 PM
P.S.-this is my 1,000th post!!

All together now:

"WE'RE HAPPY FOR YA!!" Congrats, i still have a wayz to go.

OurBitchinMinny
12-21-2004, 02:49 PM
Depodesta must have some other stuff ready to go. He said that on the surface it wasnt a good deal for the dodgers unless they had other things in place. Hopefully one of them isnt getting konerko

samram
12-21-2004, 02:51 PM
Depodesta must have some other stuff ready to go. He said that on the surface it wasnt a good deal for the dodgers unless they had other things in place. Hopefully one of them isnt getting konerko
I thought that they wanted J.D. Drew signed before going ahead with the trade. I think any offense they would add would be in the OF with Green and Finley gone.

Ol' No. 2
12-21-2004, 03:00 PM
I thought that they wanted J.D. Drew signed before going ahead with the trade. I think any offense they would add would be in the OF with Green and Finley gone.I don't think they can afford Drew without shedding Vazquez. Maybe they'll be a dark horse for Beltran.

samram
12-21-2004, 03:04 PM
I don't think they can afford Drew without shedding Vazquez. Maybe they'll be a dark horse for Beltran.
Right. What I meant was that I thought they wanted the signing of Drew and a trade of Vasquez in place before they went through with it. And yeah, this would also make sense if they were getting in position to make a run at Beltran, which has been my thought and preference all along.

sox37
12-21-2004, 03:09 PM
I have read in various places that besides Konerko, speculation was on Marte and Garland in the Vasquez deal. I can't imagine Konerko or Marte going, but you never know with Garland though..he seems to fit better on the West Coast. Also, why aren't we looking at Odalis Perez again. We were looking into Clement, and I believe that Perez will get less than Clement. I believe Perez is looking for $18 million over 3 years.

Harris=God
12-21-2004, 03:19 PM
I thought that they wanted J.D. Drew signed before going ahead with the trade. I think any offense they would add would be in the OF with Green and Finley gone.
well take a bucket of balls for obrchard

Jabroni
12-21-2004, 03:37 PM
:LTP

I am all out of my signing bonus. Please send me more money so I buy an even longer swing.Nice sig dude!

:) :) :)

Jjav829
12-21-2004, 04:36 PM
Nice sig dude![/i]

:) :) :)
:roflmao: That IS great, and it's only your first post.

Welcome Aboard! :D:

ChiSoxRowand
12-21-2004, 05:46 PM
Brad Penny is a lot better than a tad above average. The D-Backs just have to make sure he is healthy.

mcfish
12-21-2004, 06:13 PM
Brad Penny is a lot better than a tad above average. The D-Backs just have to make sure he is healthy.That's why I just don't understand this deal from LA's perspective. Why trade Penny, who you just traded too much away for this past season, to get Vazquez? Plus you lose Green, who they probably wanted to be rid of, but you still have to hope to get something in return. And they lose a good bullpen arm. And they lose Ishii. Gaining a couple rookies and a crapier relief pitcher than they gave up. What are they doing?

SoxxoS
12-21-2004, 07:12 PM
Brad Penny is a lot better than a tad above average. The D-Backs just have to make sure he is healthy.
Injury question marks figure into the "tad above average" question. See Jr. Griffey, Ken. He is barely average at this stage in his career.

sox37
12-21-2004, 08:27 PM
Thanks Jjav...lots of inspiration around here!! :)