PDA

View Full Version : White Sox interested in Alex Cora; Ben Davis may be re-signed...

Jabroni
12-21-2004, 11:55 AM
On the ESPN 1000 Scoreboard Update, they said that the White Sox are interested in infielder Alex Cora who was non-tendered by the Dodgers but there's one problem. Guess who his agent it? Yep, that's right -- it's Borass. They also said that Ben Davis was non-tendered but the Sox may try to re-sign him at a lower price.

Troupis
12-21-2004, 11:58 AM
Double yuck.
Boras - yuck.
Davis - yuck. Even for less - we already have the BEST bullpen catcher!

soltrain21
I think the whole "dealing with Boras" was for his big time clients. I don't see how we couldn't work out a deal with the likes of Alex Cora.

mweflen
Whew. I almost thought they were going to dip into the 6 mil or so of "June" funds to sign Pierzynski and Eckstein..... That would have totally screwed our chances of "retooling" at the trade deadline!

wdelaney72
12-21-2004, 11:59 AM
On the ESPN 1000 Scoreboard Update, they said that the White Sox are interested in infielder Alex Cora who was non-tendered by the Dodgers but there's one problem. Guess who his agent it? Yep, that's right -- it's Borass. They also said that Ben Davis was non-tendered but the Sox may try to re-sign him at a lower price.
How much lower could he get? According to DugOutDollars, he was only making 750K.

nodiggity59
12-21-2004, 11:59 AM
Damn! I thought we couldn't resign Davis now? Or at least until May? What's our status with him?

Ol' No. 2
12-21-2004, 12:02 PM
Damn! I thought we couldn't resign Davis now? Or at least until May? What's our status with him?That rule only applies to players who are eligible for FA by virtue of having 6 or more years of experience, not to players who become FA by being non-tendered.

Lip Man 1
12-21-2004, 12:04 PM
Only one Scott Boras client is now on the Sox...Joe Crede.
It sure looks like they don't want to deal with ANY of his clients large or small.

Smart business approach there gang!

That'll show Borass who's boss! LOL

Lip

Dolanski
12-21-2004, 12:11 PM
And guess who his big brother is? Our 3b coach, Joey. Considering the incestuous nature of the Sox with Freddy Garcia, its not a stretch for us to get him...

Mickster
12-21-2004, 12:12 PM
And guess who his big brother is? Our 3b coach, Joey. Considering the incestuous nature of the Sox with Freddy Garcia, its not a stretch for us to get him...
Is Alex Cora single? Does Ozzie have any other female relatives???

Jurr
12-21-2004, 12:12 PM
This non-tendering of Davis....does that mean that we may very well end up with AJP?

Jabroni
12-21-2004, 12:13 PM
How much lower could he get? According to DugOutDollars, he was only making 750K.Ben Davis made $1.4 million last season according to ESPN...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6144

Jabroni
12-21-2004, 12:15 PM
And guess who his big brother is? Our 3b coach, Joey. Considering the incestuous nature of the Sox with Freddy Garcia, its not a stretch for us to get him...Yeppers.

PorkChopExpress
12-21-2004, 12:24 PM
I don't want Cora, I want Eckstein! I think Eckstein is the better pickup, but signing Cora is much more like the Sox, get the second best option first because less teams will be challenging us to get him, and he costs less.

Soxzilla
12-21-2004, 12:28 PM
I may be unpopular for this, but I'd rather have Davis than AJ. Remember, Davis speaks spanish, which really helps with Contreras who doesn't speak a lick of english. Now with Jose gone ... who would speak to him? (Maybe Juan?). Communication was a huge problem for stottlemeyer in New York, let's not repeat their disastarous ways.

Not to mention I enjoy callin' him "Bangin'" Ben Davis.:redface:

Tragg
12-21-2004, 12:41 PM
I may be unpopular for this, but I'd rather have Davis than AJ. Remember, Davis speaks spanish, which really helps with Contreras who doesn't speak a lick of english. Now with Jose gone ... who would speak to him? (Maybe Juan?). Communication was a huge problem for stottlemeyer in New York, let's not repeat their disastarous ways.

Doesn't our manager speak spanish?

I would resign davis and if he was only making 750, not sure why we didn't tender that; we need a defensive catcher on this team, somehow. burke and AJ could be brutal

DaveIsHere
12-21-2004, 12:42 PM
This team is becoming a damn family reunion of sorts, just sign a decent player KDUB

infohawk
12-21-2004, 12:45 PM
I don't want Cora, I want Eckstein! I think Eckstein is the better pickup, but signing Cora is much more like the Sox, get the second best option first because less teams will be challenging us to get him, and he costs less.I agree with you about Cora. I just checked his stats, and his career numbers are not very good. His three-year blended stats show a .264 AVG and a .335 .OBP. This is not much different than Willie's .262 AVG and .343 .OBP of last year. Cora does play good defense, and might be worthwhile in a platoon role with Willie. Cora is a left-handed batter who managed to hit .286 against left-handed pitching over the last three years. He doesn't have Willie's speed, but would probably make a solid platoon partner. He shouldn't be acquired as the full-time second baseman, as he would not be an upgrade.

Jabroni
12-21-2004, 12:46 PM
I would resign davis and if he was only making 750, not sure why we didn't tender thatBen Davis made $1.4 million last season according to ESPN...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6144:wink:

Tragg
12-21-2004, 12:48 PM
Well, that's why I said "if" :cool:

I thought I read 750K; thanks for the correction

OurBitchinMinny
12-21-2004, 12:50 PM

How long has he been in the US now? I dont expect him to be fluent or anything, but at least make an effort to learn the language since you are here

Tragg
12-21-2004, 12:55 PM
How long has he been in the US now? I dont expect him to be fluent or anything, but at least make an effort to learn the language since you are here
I agree with you - these guys spend all day long just hanging out with English speakers; that's the best way to learn a language with minimal effort. Can't believe so many don't avail themselves of the opportunity.

Look at Sosa - toast of the town and all that - he's still barely fluent.

John Barrett
12-21-2004, 01:04 PM
Look at Sosa - toast of the town and all that - he's still barely fluent.[/QUOTE]
Sosa is more fluent thsn most people think... the broken English is an act. i have seen him about town and you should hear him....

Ol' No. 2
12-21-2004, 01:07 PM
I agree with you - these guys spend all day long just hanging out with English speakers; that's the best way to learn a language with minimal effort. Can't believe so many don't avail themselves of the opportunity.

Look at Sosa - toast of the town and all that - he's still barely fluent.Sosa speaks with his bat. Of course, I'm sure I don't need to repeat what he has to say.

Mickster
12-21-2004, 01:08 PM
Sosa speaks with his bat. Of course, I'm sure I don't need to repeat what he has to say.
I will. STRIIIIIIIIIKE 3!

Ol' No. 2
12-21-2004, 01:11 PM
I will. STRIIIIIIIIIKE 3!That wasn't quite what I was thinking.
http://naturalhealthline.com/newsletter/15nov02/syringe.jpg

WSox8404
12-21-2004, 01:12 PM
Hey, why were there 1000 people on yesterday? Did I miss something that happened or almost happened. That beat the old record by like 500. You would have think we signed Beltran or something with numbers like that.

Mickster
12-21-2004, 01:15 PM
That wasn't quite what I was thinking.
http://naturalhealthline.com/newsletter/15nov02/syringe.jpg
Aw...ca'mon. Just Flintstone vitamins.... :redneck

Soxzilla
12-21-2004, 01:15 PM
Hey, why were there 1000 people on yesterday? Did I miss something that happened or almost happened. That beat the old record by like 500. You would have think we signed Beltran or something with numbers like that.
Eagerily awaiting the signing of AJ Pierzynski

WSox8404
12-21-2004, 01:21 PM
Eagerily awaiting the signing of AJ Pierzynski
You gotta be kidding me. We only had like 400 on when we thought we were going to sign clement. Oh well.