PDA

View Full Version : Nats Back on Track?

Viva Medias B's
12-20-2004, 11:53 PM
It appears that the powers that be in D.C. have compromised (http://cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/story/8020655) to save the Nationals.

soltrain21
12-20-2004, 11:54 PM
HOORAY!

This is getting old already. Just contract them and the D'rays.

Nick@Nite
12-21-2004, 07:41 AM
I like it. :smile:

mjharrison72
12-21-2004, 10:05 AM
From today's Washington Post:

"D.C. Mayor Anthony A. Williams and Council Chairman Linda W. Cropp said last night that they had reached agreement on a stadium financing package that would satisfy Major League Baseball by guaranteeing construction of a permanent home for the Washington Nationals along the Anacostia waterfront.

Under the new proposal, which the 13-member council is to vote on today, the city will purchase insurance for potential cost overruns on the stadium and split the payments with Major League Baseball. Also, District officials will continue pursuing private financing for the project for several months. But Cropp said she will drop a requirement that 50 percent of the construction costs be paid for with private money."

Never a doubt, right? What bothers me most about this is Cropp is going to emerge like a hero on the other end of this, when in reality she could have done irreparable harm to the city's image and cost us a professional sports franchise. I'm glad they were able to reach a deal and are trying to find private funding for the stadium - nobody in the District needs to pay higher taxes - but I would have gladly paid into a private fund if they would have passed the hat, and I will definitely be paying my share of the stadium... when I go see the Nationals play at RFK next year.
Hooray for politics, hooray for baseball!

Jerko
12-21-2004, 10:31 AM
Too bad. Hearing a team referred to as the "Nats" for the next however many years is really something to look forward to.

TDog
12-21-2004, 10:51 AM
Too bad. Hearing a team referred to as the "Nats" for the next however many years is really something to look forward to.
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this in a previous thread, but "Nats" was the longtime casual nickname of the Senators, in the same way "Bucs" stands for the Pirates.

FJA
12-21-2004, 11:39 AM
From today's Washington Post:

"D.C. Mayor Anthony A. Williams and Council Chairman Linda W. Cropp said last night that they had reached agreement on a stadium financing package that would satisfy Major League Baseball by guaranteeing construction of a permanent home for the Washington Nationals along the Anacostia waterfront.

Under the new proposal, which the 13-member council is to vote on today, the city will purchase insurance for potential cost overruns on the stadium and split the payments with Major League Baseball. Also, District officials will continue pursuing private financing for the project for several months. But Cropp said she will drop a requirement that 50 percent of the construction costs be paid for with private money."

Never a doubt, right? What bothers me most about this is Cropp is going to emerge like a hero on the other end of this, when in reality she could have done irreparable harm to the city's image and cost us a professional sports franchise. I'm glad they were able to reach a deal and are trying to find private funding for the stadium - nobody in the District needs to pay higher taxes - but I would have gladly paid into a private fund if they would have passed the hat, and I will definitely be paying my share of the stadium... when I go see the Nationals play at RFK next year.
Hooray for politics, hooray for baseball!
I don't know if Cropp will come off as the hero. She made major concessions to a man who everyone acknowledges is usually horrible at striking deals. This will be Williams' legacy, just like he wanted it.

I don't really care about the politics of it ... just glad there will be baseball at RFK next year!

DSpivack
12-21-2004, 11:41 AM
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this in a previous thread, but "Nats" was the longtime casual nickname of the Senators, in the same way "Bucs" stands for the Pirates.
Is that because they floated like a stone and stung like a gnat?

elrod
12-21-2004, 04:01 PM
Williams is enigmatic as big city mayors go. He is philosophically great for the city - supports development and smart management of resources. Much like Daley, actually. And the District is an incredibly wealthier city because of it. There are those who suffered from the changes, of course, but the status quo of the early 1990s was, honestly,even less acceptable for the working class. The problem with Williams though is that he is an atrocious politician. He has no ability to glandhand or build relationships. He is an accountant by trade and catapulted to power on the work of the Control Board in the 1990s. As for Cropp, I think she just put her finger in the air and sensed that many DC residents thought the deal was a bad one for the city and so she fought it - after having supported it for months. Maybe she really was trying to save some dough for the District. If so, and her objections during the negotiations were ignored by Williams in his obsession for baseball at any cost, then she really is a hero. Unfortunately, I don't think Cropp was as concerned about liability and cost overrun issues (which really do hit the general fund) when the deal was negotiated.