PDA

View Full Version : Eckstein to the Sox??? (speculation thread that proved false)

OzzieBall2004
12-21-2004, 12:48 AM
He got cut by the Angels when they signed Cabrera. He fits KW's mold for "grinders" and he wouldn't cost a lot (made 2 and some change last season). That being said, he's a warm weather guy and should have at least a handful of offers.

Pod
Eckstein
Rowand
Thomas (Everett after Dye till Hurt gets back)
Konerko
Dye
Uribe
Pierzynski
Crede

3 quick guys, 3 big bats, Then 2 guys with consistent enough bats to knock the big guys in, Then Crede and whatever the hell he decides to do this season.

I like it.

PS: Im not a manager and never claimed to be, so feel free to criticize my lineup, but any variation of that works for me.

DaleJRFan
12-21-2004, 12:50 AM
ya know, I just read about Eckstein on mlb.com... and thought the same thing. I'd LOVE to see what this dude could do playing for the Sox. He can bunt, play defense, slap the ball to right field, run the bases...

We'll see..

Chisox003
12-21-2004, 01:06 AM
Woo hoo! Go get em'!

hosieryofthegods
12-21-2004, 01:38 AM
Would like to see him in there. Put him at SS and move Uribe to 2b. Harris as a utility guy would be pretty good.

Jabroni
12-21-2004, 01:40 AM
I think the Cardinals will sign him. They've lost out on Renteria, Polanco, and Cabrera and need a SS badly.

Baines2Raines
12-21-2004, 02:25 AM
No. Eck has lost a lot since 2002. He's a gamer and all but the White Sox should go in a different direction.

SOXit2EM
12-21-2004, 02:26 AM
Would like to see him in there. Put him at SS and move Uribe to 2b. Harris as a utility guy would be pretty good. I agree we should definitely get this guy....But for 2b, Uribe is a better SS.

podzilla
12-21-2004, 02:43 AM
eckstein would be nice and move uribe to second, but what do you guys think about alex cora? I believe he was non-tendered, (could be wrong) and im sure joey will be in KW's ear trying to bring his brother over.

DaleJRFan
12-21-2004, 02:49 AM
eckstein would be nice and move uribe to second, but what do you guys think about alex cora? I believe he was non-tendered, (could be wrong) and im sure joey will be in KW's ear trying to bring his brother over.
Yea, Cora is non-tendered.
http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/la/news/la_news.jsp?ymd=20041221&content_id=924602&vkey=news_la&fext=.jsp

They are both good options. Both he and Eckstein would bring a lot to the Sox. Tough call....

podzilla
12-21-2004, 02:55 AM
there really isnt too much of a difference between the two. eckstein's avg and sb's are a bit higher, but cora has a bit more pop and higher obp last season.

owensmouth
12-21-2004, 02:59 AM
Eckstein is a pest, a real gamer who gives it his all. He would be a fun addition to the White Sox, someone who just incorporates excitement in his play. This guy would make a difference in our double play combination.

Banix12
12-21-2004, 03:45 AM
I would personally love to get eckstein. He seems to be a good fit. Put him at 2b though. Uribe has a much stronger arm that Eckstein.

Though I would imagine Cora would be the first shot. Either way it's a solid major leaguer

eastchicagosoxfan
12-21-2004, 07:37 AM
Would like to see him in there. Put him at SS and move Uribe to 2b. Harris as a utility guy would be pretty good.I agrre with this guy. If Eckstein doesn't fit the mold of what we're looking to do next year, then Ozzie and KW don't have a clue.

Mohoney
12-21-2004, 08:55 AM
I would really like to see us make a run at this guy to play 2B. Then, if Crede shows no improvement at all (for instance, if Crede has a god-awful Spring and Willie lights it up, thereby deserving the playing time), we can have a fallback plan, moving Uribe to 3B, Eck to SS, and playing Willie at 2B.

gosox41
12-21-2004, 09:01 AM
ya know, I just read about Eckstein on mlb.com... and thought the same thing. I'd LOVE to see what this dude could do playing for the Sox. He can bunt, play defense, slap the ball to right field, run the bases...

We'll see..
The sox need either Eckstein or Cora. Doesn't matter which. I don'y have much confidence in Harris and it makes the ox bench that much deeper.

Bob

34 Inch Stick
12-21-2004, 09:03 AM
with all those slap hitters, I'm sure there would be some good adult humor about what to call this offense. However, with the new decency rules at WSI I will refrain until the kids go back to school after Christmas break.

SSN721
12-21-2004, 09:08 AM
I like the idea of Eck or Cora on this team next yer. As has been stated, considering the direction they have been going in it would be a perfect fit. How much would Cora take to come here, would he be cheaper then Eck, if so I would go with him.

beck72
12-21-2004, 09:09 AM
Uribe is by far the better SS than Eckstein.
Eckstein has only played 14 games at 2b in the majors [back in '01].
Cora has played in over 200 games at SS in the majors [last time in 2003]
Cora plays gold glove type defense at 2b.

wdelaney72
12-21-2004, 09:16 AM
I would really like to see us make a run at this guy to play 2B. Then, if Crede shows no improvement at all (for instance, if Crede has a god-awful Spring and Willie lights it up, thereby deserving the playing time), we can have a fallback plan, moving Uribe to 3B, Eck to SS, and playing Willie at 2B.
You couldn't be more on the money with this one. If Cora and Eck can both play 2B or SS, I don't care which one we get. Having the option of putting Uribe at 3B for when that giant hole in Crede's bat rears it's ugly head is a very nice insurance policy.

However, I can't get too excited. If Kenny doesn't upgrade the SP rotation, we might as well field the AAA team.

Troupis
12-21-2004, 09:49 AM
A couple of summers ago Barry Bonds sought Eckstein's advice on how to hit better because he said something to the effect that Eckstein had one of the best swings he had ever seen. I think it was while they were in Japan together.

The Sox could sure use a guy who could give some contact hitting pointers!

Sad
12-21-2004, 10:21 AM
I think Eckstein would be a great fit for the direction this ballclub/KW has said it's headed (small ball vs. swinging for the fences)...

sign em!

ja1022
12-21-2004, 10:22 AM
From an offensive standpoint, I think Eckstein is a great fit for a team trying to take more of "small ball" approach. He's a good contact guy, great for hit and runs and other situational hitting. He knows how to work the count and knows how to get hit by a pitch (an overlooked skill). He's a good bunter for both the sacrifice and the base hit. Defensively he's not as strong as Cora. I'd like this pick up. As it has already been said, this guy fits the "grinder" profile KW claims to covet. He also strikes me as the type of guy that may play well with a chip on his shoulder, as in having something to prove to the Angels.

soxfan43
12-21-2004, 10:28 AM
I like Eckstein better but I'm betting they'll get cora seeing as his brother is a coach here. willie hasn't really proven anything but he really hasn't had much of chance to get a lot of consistent AB's. Hopefully if they sign one of these guys they can still get willie some playing time because with his speed he can be a terror on the basepaths.

Mickster
12-21-2004, 10:35 AM
Hopefully if they sign one of these guys they can still get willie some playing time because with his speed he can be a terror on the basepaths.
A terror or a horror? :D:

soxfan43
12-21-2004, 10:36 AM
depends on the day i guess with willie. but if the sox aren't going to get a pitcher they might as well upgrade at catcher and 2b, their biggest holes.

mweflen
12-21-2004, 10:39 AM
Seriously. He's been yammering about how stealing 50 bags should be easy, Hawk has been crowing about "Peapod's" speed for three years... and the guy hasn't cracked 20 bags yet.

He's a bum. A speedster who won't run. A headcase.

I'd love to see Eckstein come in and spell Willie on the bench for half the year.

batmanZoSo
12-21-2004, 10:40 AM
I like Eckstein better but I'm betting they'll get cora seeing as his brother is a coach here. willie hasn't really proven anything but he really hasn't had much of chance to get a lot of consistent AB's. Hopefully if they sign one of these guys they can still get willie some playing time because with his speed he can be a terror on the basepaths.
I would take either. I don't think either would be expected to be a big addition that's gonna take over the second base job and lead us to glory. The big thing is we need Willie insurance.

soxfan43
12-21-2004, 10:40 AM
Seriously. He's been yammering about how stealing 50 bags should be easy, Hawk has been crowing about "Peapod's" speed for three years... and the guy hasn't cracked 20 bags yet.

He's a bum. A speedster who won't run. A headcase.

I'd love to see Eckstein come in and spell Willie on the bench for half the year.
maybe with pods, tim raines and maybe eckstein/cora someone can try to teach/force willie to steal some bases.

tstrike2000
12-21-2004, 10:42 AM
The sox need either Eckstein or Cora. Doesn't matter which. I don'y have much confidence in Harris and it makes the ox bench that much deeper.

Bob
Agreed! I also agree with the posts to go after Cora rather than Eck because Cora is a better 2B and leave Uribe at SS because of his defense and arm.

mweflen
12-21-2004, 10:48 AM
Agreed! I also agree with the posts to go after Cora rather than Eck because Cora is a better 2B and leave Uribe at SS because of his defense and arm.
Looking at his stats, I have a difficult time seeing how Cora is an upgrade over Wee Willie. .264 Ave, 10 HR, 47 RBI, 3 SB, .364 OBP.

Eckstein is a better hitter than Willie or Cora. Plus, he has the inangibles - having been a huge sparkplug for a world series team.

CHISOXFAN13
12-21-2004, 10:56 AM

Bob
Agreed. And if Crede struggles, you can always move Uribe to third and give Harris some playing time at second.

mweflen
12-21-2004, 11:08 AM
I like this lineup a lot:

CF Scott Podsednik
SS David Eckstein
1B Paul Konerko
DH Frank Thomas
LF Aaron Rowand
RF Jermaine Dye
C AJ Pierzynski
2B Juan Uribe
3B Joe Crede

How much stronger is this than a lineup with a hole at C, Willie at 2b and Crede at 3b? Instead of 3 question marks or black holes, now there is but one (Crede).

This would help me swallow the disappointment of having Grilli as our #5.

soxfan43
12-21-2004, 11:13 AM
i like the looks of that lineup as well. if KW isn't going to spend the money on a legit #3 or 4 starter then he might as well plug up some more holes in other places in the lineup. I would hope that the AJ deal is a sure thing since they non tendered davis. if not, that leaves a HUGE hole in the lineup. i can live with harris but with just burke at C and some deuche backup, thats really bad.

Jabroni
12-21-2004, 11:17 AM

CF Scott Podsednik
SS David Eckstein
1B Paul Konerko
DH Frank Thomas
LF Aaron Rowand
RF Jermaine Dye
C AJ Pierzynski
2B Juan Uribe
3B Joe Crede

How much stronger is this than a lineup with a hole at C, Willie at 2b and Crede at 3b? Instead of 3 question marks or black holes, now there is but one (Crede).

This would help me swallow the disappointment of having Grilli as our #5.I think it would actually look like this...

CF Scott Podsednik
SS David Eckstein
DH Frank Thomas
1B Paul Konerko
RF Jermaine Dye
LF Aaron Rowand
2B Juan Uribe
C AJ Pierzynski
3B Joe Crede

Regardless, I still think we need another starting pitcher like Odalis Perez instead of worrying about Eckstein. Pierzynski seems like it's going to happen though.

mweflen
12-21-2004, 11:19 AM
I think it would actually look like this...

CF Scott Podsednik
SS David Eckstein
DH Frank Thomas
1B Paul Konerko
RF Jermaine Dye
LF Aaron Rowand
2B Juan Uribe
C AJ Pierzynski
3B Joe Crede

Regardless, I still think we need another starting pitcher like Odalis Perez instead of worrying about Eckstein. Pierzynski seems like it's going to happen though.Personally, they can randomize the order every game for all I care. I'd rather have the talent therein than all those holes in the order. It's better than a lineup that looks like:

:chunks :smile:

Perez is a pipe dream. See The whitesox.com article about schoney's non-tender, in which Coop says that Schoney would have been the #5 starter this year. KW apparently has no intentions of paying for a starter.

PorkChopExpress
12-21-2004, 12:17 PM
I would much rather have Eckstein than Cora, no offesne to Joey. I don't think the fielding abilities are so much better on one side to erase the difference in offensive statistics. Cora has good years and bad years, while Eckstein appears more consistent. We're talking a lifetime .314OBP, .246AVG hitter in Cora versus a .347OBP, .278AVG hitter in Eckstein. Plus Eckstein just seems to have that sparkplug factor that I don't see in Cora.

Joel Perez
12-21-2004, 12:38 PM
Eck would, IMO, be a fine pickup to the Sox. A legit #2 hitter that can from time to time fill in at the #1 hitting spot as well, as he did in '02 and '03 for the Angels. Good defense, certainly one of those "grind them out" players that KW is looking for.

Harris would make a fine utlity 2B/SS/OF role player, and Uribe can man the second base. Crede would get another shot at 3B in my book until Josh Fields is ready. Fine with me...LET'S PLAY BALL!!!!!!!!!!

DSpivack
12-21-2004, 12:53 PM
Willie Harris is nothing more than a Chone Figgins wannabe.

socko82
12-21-2004, 01:13 PM
Definitely Eckstein over Cora.

Why all the worries over nontendering a journeyman catcher who hit .206?

Anyone heard anything about where Wade Miller might be headed?

Brian26
12-21-2004, 01:14 PM
Count me in as someone who would LOVE to have Eckstein on this team.

Brian26
12-21-2004, 01:19 PM

CF Scott Podsednik
SS David Eckstein
1B Paul Konerko
DH Frank Thomas
LF Aaron Rowand
RF Jermaine Dye
C AJ Pierzynski
2B Juan Uribe
3B Joe Crede

This would help me swallow the disappointment of having Grilli as our #5.

I don't think Crede will be a question mark at all this year. Although I have been totally against the Pierzynski signing, I have to admit that lineup looks awesome without Willie and Ben Davis.

Brian26
12-21-2004, 01:21 PM
Plus Eckstein just seems to have that sparkplug factor that I don't see in Cora.

Yeah, Eckstein reminds me a lot of Scott Fletcher in his intensity. Even if Eckstein's numbers dipped a little, he brings so much to the table.

SOXSINCE'70
12-21-2004, 02:00 PM
No. Eck has lost a lot since 2002. He's a gamer and all but the White Sox should go in a different direction.
If they don't do something else before ST,they will go in a
different direction:downward in the standings.:(: :(:

jordan23ventura
12-21-2004, 02:50 PM
I know that KW is probably looking at Alex Cora closer, and hopefully he sees someting there and if he signs here he turns into another Uribe. I sure hope KW sees something in Cora besides a guy who can't hit lefties and has trouble on the road. We already have Willie Harris.

On the other hand, I think Eckstein would be a tremendous pick up. He is a guy who can spray the ball to all fields, drop a bunt single and steal a bag against a tough pitcher, and is another of KW's 'grinders.'

Hell, Kenny, you can make this 'grinder day' and pick up both Eckstein and Pierzynski and, if the Vazquez deal goes through, actually turn the Sox into a playoff team!

OEO Magglio
12-21-2004, 02:53 PM
Eck would be a fine pickup but if the sox were to pick him up he'd definitely be the 2nd baseman. Juan is a much better shortstop then Eck and David has a weak arm and he'd be far better suited at 2nd base. Anyways I think the sox will probably go after Cora and he'd also be a solid pickup, he'd be a great guy to have in the 2 hole also.

Chisox003
12-21-2004, 03:22 PM
I hope this signing of Schoe doesnt mean KW is done looking for another starter...If he is our #5 going into next season, Pierzynski and Eckstein/Cora better be in the lineup too........

Shingotime!!
12-21-2004, 03:50 PM
I remember Cora having like a 14 pitch at bat against Clement which resulted in a homer, good times.

MRKARNO
12-21-2004, 03:53 PM
No on Eckstein. We'll be better off with Harris at second and Uribe at short. The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

People seem to discount the likelihood that Harris will improve over last year. He posted a .343 OBP and still only hit .264 (I think). Watch that batting average go up to .290ish (which is within his capabilities) and his OBP will near .380, a fine leadoff OBP. Because his OBP was not very dependent on average, he will be just fine next year.

MRKARNO
12-21-2004, 03:54 PM
I remember Cora having like a 14 pitch at bat against Clement which resulted in a homer, good times.
14 pitches? Try 18 pitches and about ten in a row were fouled to the exact same place down the right field line.

Shingotime!!
12-21-2004, 03:56 PM
14 pitches? Try 18 pitches and about ten in a row were fouled to the exact same place down the right field line. I stand corrected, thanks.

MRKARNO
12-21-2004, 03:58 PM
I stand corrected, thanks.
No problem. As good as a 14 pitch at bat is, the difference between 14 and 18 pitches is pretty big. I actually timed to see how long the at bat was and it was something like 11-13 minutes (I dont remember exactly, but it was LONG)

Mickster
12-21-2004, 04:07 PM
I hope this signing of Schoe doesnt mean KW is done looking for another starter...If he is our #5 going into next season, Pierzynski and Eckstein/Cora better be in the lineup too........
Schoe signed???

jordan23ventura
12-21-2004, 04:12 PM
No on Eckstein. We'll be better off with Harris at second and Uribe at short. The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

People seem to discount the likelihood that Harris will improve over last year. He posted a .343 OBP and still only hit .264 (I think). Watch that batting average go up to .290ish (which is within his capabilities) and his OBP will near .380, a fine leadoff OBP. Because his OBP was not very dependent on average, he will be just fine next year.
I think he will eventually improve as well, but when? People have been saying the same sort of thing about Crede for a while now and he hasn't taken the big step. I would like to see KW go out and get Eckstein simply because he is already counting on Thomas, Everett, and Pods to rebound and counting on Rowand and Uribe to prove that 2004 wasn't a fluke and is also counting on Crede to take a big step forward.

That's a lot of IF's in my book, and while I do think Willie will one day be a decent second basemen, we are just one above-average SP and a couple 'grinders' away from having a legitmate shot at the playoffs. So, send Wee Willie packing.

SilverAndBlack
12-21-2004, 04:13 PM
you guys know who eck's agent is right?

:borass:

"hello everyone."

:hawk

"UT OH!!"

Ol' No. 2
12-21-2004, 04:17 PM
I think he will eventually improve as well, but when? People have been saying the same sort of thing about Crede for a while now and he hasn't taken the big step. I would like to see KW go out and get Eckstein simply because he is already counting on Thomas, Everett, and Pods to rebound and counting on Rowand and Uribe to prove that 2004 wasn't a fluke and is also counting on Crede to take a big step forward.

That's a lot of IF's in my book, and while I do think Willie will one day be a decent second basemen, we are just one above-average SP and a couple 'grinders' away from having a legitmate shot at the playoffs. So, send Wee Willie packing.Right now the Sox don't really have a good utility IF. Signing Eckstein might be a good addition. He's the epitome of Ozzieball. If Willie continues to struggle against LHP, Eckstein can play 2B once in a while. He can spell Uribe and Crede. And if one of these guys doesn't cut it as we hope they will, Eckstein is good insurance. I like adding Eckstein not in place of the current IF, but in addition to the current IF.

Whitesox029
12-21-2004, 08:36 PM
He got cut by the Angels when they signed Cabrera. He fits KW's mold for "grinders" and he wouldn't cost a lot (made 2 and some change last season). I was thinking the same thing when I read the paper this morning. Eckstein would be a great compliment to Podsednik...Uribe can play 2B, Eckstein would play SS, Harris would sit in AAA where he belongs.

Eckstein's affectionate nickname would inevitably be "Ecky-Ecky-Ecky-Ecky-Pikang-Boink-Zoop-Gdmzwolyzhiv," or "Ecky " for short.

Soxforlife
12-21-2004, 08:49 PM
Its hard to make the call of Eck or Cora, however i think that either would be great(probably Eck more though) because we need another middle infielder who will put speed at the top of the lineup and that would (like others have posted) allow us to move Uribe over to 3rd when Crede screws up. However i think that they will probably get Cora due to his brother which reminds of Alomar1 and Alomar2 and Ozzie and Freddy. Also we can't trust Harris, he is too scared on the bases and can't get the avg. up. I like the idea of Eck having something to prove. I still think he will go to the Cards though cause they need a ss. But i think that our first priority should be a sp. No more fifth starter nonsense. I've had it. Get Perez as as a number 3. than AJ at catcher and why not through in a Eck or Cora. However if the sp thing doesn't work out, which it better, we must get AJ and Eck or Cora otherwise its not a done deal. KW wants to move toward speed and defense, he started with Pods now he needs to finish the deal... Pitching, Defense, and Speed in 05 = Ozzie ball.

DickAllen72
12-21-2004, 08:56 PM
I'd take Eckstein hands down over Cora.

Cora is a left handed batter, like Willie. Cora steals even less bases than Willie. Their BA's are roughly the same and Willie is younger, cheaper, and has much more potential than Cora.

Eckstein is a better player, a much better base stealer, a right handed bat to platoon with Willie, or he can start at SS and move Uribe to third.

MRKARNO
12-21-2004, 08:59 PM

That's a lot of IF's in my book, and while I do think Willie will one day be a decent second basemen, we are just one above-average SP and a couple 'grinders' away from having a legitmate shot at the playoffs. So, send Wee Willie packing.
When? When you actually give the guy a chance he might actually go and do something. Last year was the first year he came anywhere close to getting regular playing time and it still was only 403 at bats, which doesnt really constitute regular playing time. Between 2002 and 2003, he had only about 300 at bats. It's hard to give up on a guy when you havent actually given that guy a chance. Willie will finally get his chance in 2005 and I think he's going to produce.

MRKARNO
12-21-2004, 09:20 PM
I was thinking the same thing when I read the paper this morning. Eckstein would be a great compliment to Podsednik...Uribe can play 2B, Eckstein would play SS, Harris would sit in AAA where he belongs.

Eckstein's affectionate nickname would inevitably be "Ecky-Ecky-Ecky-Ecky-Pikang-Boink-Zoop-Gdmzwolyzhiv," or "Ecky " for short.
I am willing to be that assuming Eckstein and Harris both start next year that Harris has a better year than Eckstein. I would take Harris's 2004 over Eckstein's 2003 and 2004 and unlike Harris, Eckstein is already an established major league player. Willie on the other hand has not even gotten 500 at bats in a season yet and is younger. If Eckstein wants to sign here for less than 1 million, I'd be fine with that, but we all know that's not going to happen. Stick with Willie as he's cheaper, a lefty and has far more room for improvement.

batmanZoSo
12-21-2004, 09:24 PM
First, Eckstein is a smart player who hustles his ass off. Willie is NOT a smart player at all. This is not a grass in greener case.

Watch that batting average go up to .290ish (which is within his capabilities) and his OBP will near .380, a fine leadoff OBP.
Based on what?

At least Eckstein has HAD good years. No one's saying he's the next Joe Morgan, but it makes absolutely no sense to predict success for Harris and just ride it out and hope he improves without getting anyone else for insurance. That's the stupid way. The cheap way. The Sox way...

Lip Man 1
12-21-2004, 10:19 PM
Batman:

Excellent post!

Lip

Jabroni
12-21-2004, 11:10 PM
Is Eckstein not the perfect player for KW and Ozzie or what?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/scouting?statsId=6688

He is a great bunter and specializes in executing the hit-and-run. He can steal bases and he's a great fielding shortstop. And best of all for KW, Eckstein is a "GRINDER!!!" :tongue: We better beat the Cardinals to this guy because they are going to be signing him soon. :whiner: Give Eckstein $2 million and send Willie to the bench.

DickAllen72
12-21-2004, 11:15 PM

He is a great bunter and specializes in executing the hit-and-run. He can steal bases and he's a great fielding shortstop. And best of all for KW, Eckstein is a "GRINDER!!!" :tongue: We better beat the Cardinals to this guy because they are going to be signing him soon. :whiner: Give Eckstein $2 million and send Willie to the bench.

I say give him $2.5million and send Crede to the bench.

3B Uribe
SS Eckstein
2B Harris
1B Konerko

Jabroni
12-21-2004, 11:16 PM
I say give him $2.5million and send Crede to the bench.

3B Uribe
SS Eckstein
2B Harris
1B KonerkoDo you think he would even cost that much? Tony Womack only got a 2-year, $4 million contract from the Yankees. I still think Eckstein would be worth $2.5 million anyways. Just wondering...

DickAllen72
12-21-2004, 11:22 PM
Do you think he would even cost that much? Tony Womack only got a 2-year, $4 million contract from the Yankees. I still think Eckstein would be worth $2.5 million anyways. Just wondering...

With the Cards losing Renteria and then losing out on Cabrera, they may be willing to overpay for Eckstein.

Anyway, he'd be a perfect fit for us. Being a RH batter, he could platoon with Willie at 2B, or start at SS with Uribe going to 3B. He could play almost everyday, effectively making it a Willie/Crede platoon.

Good speed, good defense, pesky hitter.....I want this guy!

MikeW
12-21-2004, 11:40 PM
I will also cast a vote for Eckstein. He reminds me of one of the old Go-Go Sox type players.

Jabroni
12-21-2004, 11:45 PM
With the Cards losing Renteria and then losing out on Cabrera, they may be willing to overpay for Eckstein.

Anyway, he'd be a perfect fit for us. Being a RH batter, he could platoon with Willie at 2B, or start at SS with Uribe going to 3B. He could play almost everyday, effectively making it a Willie/Crede platoon.

Good speed, good defense, pesky hitter.....I want this guy!That's what I think. The Cardinals need a SS badly. Hector Luna is the only SS currently on their roster. :o:

Everyone here seemed to want Polanco when he may have been available but Eckstein seems like an even better option and he should be a bit cheaper.

batmanZoSo
12-21-2004, 11:46 PM

Exactly. He's the type of player we need to help beat the Twins. He'll hit the ball on the ground, to the right side, lay down a bunt right (the first time..not pull back, foul one off then strike out looking stupid a'la Willie). If we're not gonna spend a ton of money and just bully the Twins we have to beat them at their own game.

Jabroni
12-21-2004, 11:57 PM
RotoWorld seems to agree with us...

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.asp?sport=MLB&id=6688
Latest News Dec. 20, 2004 - 10:28 pm et

Angels non-tendered shortstop David Eckstein.
Eckstein figures to land on his feet after being ousted by the Angels. St. Louis makes a great deal of sense here. The White Sox might also want to consider him as a replacement for Willie Harris.

Jabroni
12-22-2004, 05:06 AM
Hmmm, maybe Eckstein will be available to us afterall...
Cardinals | Interest In Lugo - from www.KFFL.com (http://www.kffl.com/)
Wed, 22 Dec 2004 01:37:42 -0800

The Tampa Tribune reports the St. Louis Cardinals have expressed interest in signing SS Julio Lugo, previously with the Tampa Bay Devil Rays.With El Duque supposedly on the way, all we need is Eckstein and our roster would be set.

Sad
12-22-2004, 08:58 AM
Eckstein seems like a no-brainer for the direction this team claims it's heading in 2005... I sincerely hope they consider picking him up.

Hangar18
12-22-2004, 10:21 AM
I think the Cardinals will sign him. They've lost out on Renteria, Polanco, and Cabrera and need a SS badly.
The More I started thinking about Eckstein at short and El Duque on
the mound ...... the better I feel about this stupid organization.
GET ECKSTEIN ........... Cmon SOX, act like you care!

Mickster
12-22-2004, 10:25 AM
GET ECKSTEIN ........... Cmon SOX, act like you care!
I'll drink to that. :gulp: :gulp:

Mohoney
12-22-2004, 10:28 AM
Hangar? Optimism?

Is this the planet Krypton?

tstrike2000
12-22-2004, 10:32 AM
Looking at his stats, I have a difficult time seeing how Cora is an upgrade over Wee Willie. .264 Ave, 10 HR, 47 RBI, 3 SB, .364 OBP.

Eckstein is a better hitter than Willie or Cora. Plus, he has the inangibles - having been a huge sparkplug for a world series team.
Cora is a better fielder and hits for more power and rbi's typically than Harris. However, Eckstein would be a better pickup because of the mentallity he brings.

tstrike2000
12-22-2004, 10:34 AM
Do you think he would even cost that much? Tony Womack only got a 2-year, $4 million contract from the Yankees. I still think Eckstein would be worth $2.5 million anyways. Just wondering...
Very true, looking at Womack's numbers, very comparable to Eckstein and Cora. Cora is a little low on avg.

mdep524
12-22-2004, 12:38 PM
From the whitesox.com article about El Duque:

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_news.jsp?ymd=20041222&content_id=925074&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp

The team will continue to attempt an upgrade in the middle infield, with non-tendered free agents David Eckstein and Alex Cora on the radar.
Eckstein was a favorite of manager Ozzie Guillen's last season because of his grittiness and the manner in which he set up the offense at the top of the order. The diminutive shortstop made just six errors in the field during the 2004 season.

Jabroni
12-22-2004, 12:49 PM
GET ECKSTEIN ........... Cmon SOX, act like you care!The only negative that I've heard about Eckstein is that he has a weak throwing arm and has trouble throwing it from SS to 1B. He would probably serve us better playing 2B with Uribe at SS since Uribe has a gun.

DaveIsHere
12-22-2004, 12:55 PM
The only negative that I've heard about Eckstein is that he has a weak throwing arm and has trouble throwing it from SS to 1B. He would probably serve us better play 2B with Uribe at SS since Uribe has a gun.

Agreed, Uribe has a cannon, let him use it.

Jabroni
12-22-2004, 01:11 PM
The Score 670 just reported that the White Sox are talking to David Eckstein. No further information was provided.

12-22-2004, 01:12 PM
I would love it, it's begining to look a lot like Christmas

BRDSR
12-22-2004, 01:16 PM
How much is Eckstein looking to take in per year, and if we sign him and add that to the current payroll(assuming the current payroll includes at least 3.5 million for Hernandez) what does that put our current 2005 payroll at? I would love this signing and would be content to go into spring training with it.

Hangar18
12-22-2004, 01:16 PM
The Score 670 just reported that the White Sox are talking to David Eckstein. No further information was provided.

Can you imagine if we'd have Just Kept Carlos Lee and signed Eckstein?
this lineup wouldve been pretty decent ......

A.T. Money
12-22-2004, 01:18 PM
If we can get Eckstein, that would be so huge.

He is very tough to pitch to.

Brian26
12-22-2004, 01:19 PM
Tell me KW doesn't read WSI.

It's a no-brainer. Sign Eckstein NOW!

Jabroni
12-22-2004, 01:20 PM
How much is Eckstein looking to take in per year, and if we sign him and add that to the current payroll(assuming the current payroll includes at least 3.5 million for Hernandez) what does that put our current 2005 payroll at? I would love this signing and would be content to go into spring training with it.Good question. Maybe around $2.5 - $3 million? Eckstein made $2,150,000 last season according to ESPN...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6688

Rocklive99
12-22-2004, 01:21 PM
If we sign David Eckstein, this will make me Happy. The more I think of
a Eckstein and Posednik at the top of the lineup, wow. Can you imagine if
we simply added those 2 players at the top of our lineup WITH Thomas Ordonez Lee and Konerko behind them ??? Talk about A Hitting Machine that can ALSO Score Runs! but alas ......
lets stop the bleeding and Get Eckstein
Uhh...:?:

Brian26
12-22-2004, 01:24 PM
Eckstein is no better than Harris. In fact if they signed him to play short and moved Uribe back to second they'd hurt themselves defensively.

Disagree totally. Eckstein is a smart, gutsy ballplayer who's head is in the game all the time. Willie is a project.

A.T. Money
12-22-2004, 01:25 PM
Eckstein is no better than Harris. In fact if they signed him to play short and moved Uribe back to second they'd hurt themselves defensively.
Eckstein scores more runs that Harris. Gets on base more. He's been on a champion. Nuff said.

PaulDrake
12-22-2004, 01:27 PM
If the White Sox could get El Duque and Eckstein at semi reasonable prices it would make this old grouch of a fan much happier than I am now.

SomebodyToldMe
12-22-2004, 01:27 PM
Eckstein is a smart, gutsy ballplayer who's head is in the game all the time.
Agreed. He's a guy who looooves to play the game. He's always into it. I'd love to have him on the team.

But this seems like one of those "This is so obvious, it probably won't happen" things.

But K-Dub better make it happen.

PaulDrake
12-22-2004, 01:29 PM
Disagree totally. Eckstein is a smart, gutsy ballplayer who's head is in the game all the time. Willie is a project. Ditto on the disagreement.

oeo
12-22-2004, 01:29 PM
Any word on who, if anyone, else is looking at him?

Mickster
12-22-2004, 01:30 PM
I'm sure that the Cards have to be looking at him...

12-22-2004, 01:30 PM
St. Louis needs a shortstop bad

A.T. Money
12-22-2004, 01:31 PM
Probably St. Louis, who is out of a SS right now.

Kenny,

SIGN ECKSTEIN RIGHT THIS SECOND!:supernana:

Jabroni
12-22-2004, 01:31 PM
Any word on who, if anyone, else is looking at him?I've heard the Devil Rays. I assume that the Cardinals would look at him but I saw that they are looking at SS Julio Lugo.

OEO Magglio
12-22-2004, 01:32 PM
Give me a break Wealz, Eck is a better player then Willie, it's not even really close. I do however agree with you that Juan should be the ss if Eck were signed and I'm fairly confident he would be.

Jabroni
12-22-2004, 01:35 PM
So how would the Carlos Lee trade look if we also signed Eckstein...

Carlos Lee
FOR
Scott Podsednik
Luis Vizcaino
Player To Be Named Later (Mitchel Stetter?)
Orlando Hernandez
David Eckstein

WOW! :thumbsup:

Jabroni
12-22-2004, 01:38 PM
Give me a break Wealz, Eck is a better player then Willie, it's not even really close. I do however agree with you that Juan should be the ss if Eck were signed and I'm fairly confident he would be.Agreed. Eckstein would make a better 2B for us. He hits lefties better than righties and Willie hits righties better than lefties.

By the way, Wealz just rips on any player KW acquires. If KW signed a reincarnated Babe Ruth, Wealz would find something wrong with it. :rolleyes:

santo=dorf
12-22-2004, 01:39 PM
So how would the Carlos Lee trade look if we also signed Eckstein...

Carlos Lee
FOR
Scott Podsednik
Luis Vizcaino
Player to be named later (Mitchel Stetter?)
Orlando Hernandez
David Eckstein

WOW! :thumbsup:
and there still could be some $ left over from the trade.

:reinsy
"Gotta love the cash part of the deal!"

MeanFish
12-22-2004, 01:47 PM
Eckstein won't get on base more than Harris and probably isn't as good a defensive second baseman.
Actually, Eck was a pretty good shortstop, so I can't see why he wouldn't be a decent second baseman. The primary difference between Eckstein and Harris as far as getting on base is that Eckstein put up his numbers playing against both righties and lefties, whereas Harris was intentionally protected from LHP for a large part of the season.

Having said that, I still kind of want Willie to get another full season under his belt, but I won't be shedding any tears if we upgrade the position with a sparkplug like Eckstein.

Jabroni
12-22-2004, 01:47 PM
I don't understand why my criticisms of Williams bother you.Because you're not fair and impartial. You simply bash any and all moves that KW makes. I've never seen you say one positive thing about any of KW's moves. That's just unreasonable.

PaleHoseGeorge
12-22-2004, 01:51 PM
Name a move I should be positive about?
I think we've heard about enough.
:cool:

Jurr
12-22-2004, 01:52 PM
Name a move I should be positive about?He got rid of Lee, a questionable clubhouse guy (as well as a guy that seems to shut off his preparation and intensity for supposed "gimme" games) for stability in the bullpen, an outfielder with speed and a lot of heart that has the potential to be great, a serviceable fifth starter, and a possible upgrade in the infield. If you don't think that's a good move, you are a bleeding imbecile. Period.

Blueprint1
12-22-2004, 01:53 PM
Eckstein won't get on base more than Harris and probably isn't as good a defensive second baseman.
Harris back up on the ball all the time. I have no clue what Harris your talking about that is better than Eckstein defensively.

Jabroni
12-22-2004, 01:55 PM
Name a move I should be positive about?Only a true jabroni would want to watch "the dreaded 5th starter" again this year. KW just solved that problem by signing El Duque.

Soxzilla
12-22-2004, 01:55 PM
Not only does Ecks gives us the opportunity to sit Willie on occassion. But in case Crede sucks it up again this year, it will be much easier for him to find a way to the bench, since we can put a platoon of Uribe (3B) - Ecks (SS) and Harris - (2B).

And if Harris sucks it up too, we can have Valdez go out there and play some games. This move gives Ozzie a team of ozzie-ballers and some much NEEDED depth.:smile:

Jabroni
12-22-2004, 01:57 PM
Not only does Ecks gives us the opportunity to sit Willie on occassion. But in case Crede sucks it up again this year, it will be much easier for him to find a way to the bench, since we can put a platoon of Uribe (3B) - Ecks (SS) and Harris - (2B).

And if Harris sucks it up too, we can have Valdez go out there and play some games. This move gives Ozzie a team of ozzie-ballers and some much NEEDED depth.:smile:Exactly what I was thinking. This move would protect our investment in Crede. He can be thrown back to the bench if he struggles again this year.

12-22-2004, 01:58 PM
I hate to be a buzz kill, but all reports I read have him going to the Cards.....I hope I'm wrong

Jabroni
12-22-2004, 01:58 PM
Podsednik had a terrible year last year and Hernandez pitched 84 innings. Vizcaino is a decent middle reliever but that isn't nearly enough to make the deal good.Did we win anything with Carlos Lee in LF? No, but he hit some homeruns! :rolleyes:

Hangar18
12-22-2004, 01:59 PM
im glad to see the SOX made this move. Too bad they didnt address
this back in 2001. and in 2002. and in 2003. and in 2004. Four Years
of Ignoring the 5th Starter spot (knowing that Playoff/BigMarket teams ALWAYS have a 6th starter in case of injuries/etc) and NOW the SOX finally realize
they need a reliable 5th starter. *sighs* I like the move ....
Having 5 DECENT starters is huge! If the SOX can get David Eckstein
here, we will finally have a decent lineup and gives us a CHANCE ......
at winning this division. Anything short of Eckstein diminishes said chance.

D. TODD
At any rate a third quality utility infeild is needed. Harris, Uribe, Eck/Cora is a solid threesome to use as the situation calls for. In the case of an injury or prolonged slumps we will have the necersary option. Toronto is openly pursuing Eck at the present time, and I'm sure other teams are interested as well. Cora is still a very good possibility if Eck goes elsewhere.

Brian26
Actually, Eck was a pretty good shortstop, so I can't see why he wouldn't be a decent second baseman.

A lot of guys have made the switch effortlessly. Scott Fletcher moved from ss to 2b, and he's the guy who most reminds me of Eckstein (although Eckstein's numbers are probably a little better).

Jabroni
12-22-2004, 02:01 PM
I hate to be a buzz kill, but all reports I read have him going to the Cards.....I hope I'm wrongDo you have a link? This is all I have seen regarding Eckstein and the White Sox / Cardinals...

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.asp?sport=MLB&id=6688
Latest News Dec. 20, 2004 - 10:28 pm et

Angels non-tendered shortstop David Eckstein.
Eckstein figures to land on his feet after being ousted by the Angels. St. Louis makes a great deal of sense here. The White Sox might also want to consider him as a replacement for Willie Harris.
http://www.kffl.com/hotw/mlb
Cardinals | Interest In Lugo - from www.KFFL.com (http://www.kffl.com/)
Wed, 22 Dec 2004 01:37:42 -0800

The Tampa Tribune reports the St. Louis Cardinals have expressed interest in signing SS Julio Lugo, previously with the Tampa Bay Devil Rays.Also, the Score 670 continues to report that the White Sox are interested in David Eckstein. :thumbsup:

Brian26
12-22-2004, 02:02 PM
I rather have Eckstein than Lugo.

BRDSR
12-22-2004, 02:03 PM
I hate to be a buzz kill, but all reports I read have him going to the Cards.....I hope I'm wrongNot if KW "makes him an offer he can't refuse."

http://www.dicksmithmake-up.com/godfather3.jpg

Does Eckstein have a favorite horse...?

BRDSR
12-22-2004, 02:04 PM
Wow, that turned out big. Why doesn't the image come out smaller when you edit the size down as your making the post?

DaveIsHere
12-22-2004, 02:07 PM
Wow, that turned out big. Why doesn't the image come out smaller when you edit the size down as your making the post?

Probably because JR is cheap and KW makes horrible moves, is my guess

doctor30th
12-22-2004, 02:13 PM
Actually, Eck was a pretty good shortstop, so I can't see why he wouldn't be a decent second baseman. .
Actually Eckstien was originally a second baseman and Adam Kennedy was originally a Short stop, I guess they both switched in the minors (they were both on different teams though).

MeanFish
12-22-2004, 02:21 PM
Actually Eckstien was originally a second baseman and Adam Kennedy was originally a Short stop, I guess they both switched in the minors (they were both on different teams though).
Didn't know that, but it does make a lot of sense :)

SoxxoS
12-22-2004, 02:21 PM
Fly under the radar and get 'er done KW..Eck would be a fantastic addition.

:KW

"Shhhhhhh."

Soxzilla
12-22-2004, 02:24 PM

"Shhhhhhh."
"The names Williams. Kenny ... Williams. I like my players grinded ... not sturred"

fledgedrallycap
12-22-2004, 02:26 PM
"The names Williams. Kenny ... Williams. I like my players grinded ... not sturred"
:D: Very nice.

Whitesox029
12-22-2004, 05:32 PM
New Development: Score 670 reports that KW is looking at signing Eckstein with his leftover $$. Nothing big but at least now it's coming out of the media and not just from excited WSIers.

:supernana:

Jabroni
12-22-2004, 05:35 PM
New Development: Score 670 reports that KW is looking at signing Eckstein with his leftover $$. Nothing big but at least now it's coming out of the media and not just from excited WSIers.

:supernana:Yep, The Score has been reporting all day that the White Sox are interested in Eckstein.

oeo
12-22-2004, 05:47 PM

http://sisk.dotgeek.org/getrdone.jpg
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2314 http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2314

Jerome
12-22-2004, 06:34 PM
(courtesy of mlb.com)

David Eckstein

SEASON G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI TB BB SO SB CS OBP SLG AVG
2001 * 153 582 82 166 26 2 4 41 208 43 60 29 4 .355 .357 .285
2002 ** 152 608 107 178 22 6 8 63 236 45 44 21 13 .363 .388 .293
2003 ***120 452 59 114 22 1 3 31 147 36 45 16 5 .325 .325 .252
2004 ***142 566 92 156 24 1 2 35 188 42 49 16 5 .339 .332 .276

OBP SLG AVG
2001 .355 .357 .285
2002 .363 .388 .293
2003 .325 .325 .252
2004 .339 .332 .276

Last year Harris batted .262, but his OBP was .343 He had 19 stolen bases.

THOSE NUMBERS ARE IDENTICAL TO ECKSTEIN'S OVER THE LAST 2 YEARS.

If Willie Harris isn't the answer at the top of the lineup, neither is David Eckstein. There is a reason the Angels wanted a new SS.

Jerome
12-22-2004, 06:37 PM
He got rid of Lee, a questionable clubhouse guy (as well as a guy that seems to shut off his preparation and intensity for supposed "gimme" games) for stability in the bullpen, an outfielder with speed and a lot of heart that has the potential to be great, a serviceable fifth starter, and a possible upgrade in the infield. If you don't think that's a good move, you are a bleeding imbecile. Period.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

:gulp: I'll have some of that KW Kool-Aid when you're done.

DickAllen72
12-22-2004, 06:44 PM
I'm about as big a Wilie Harris fan as one can reasonably be. But I want Eckstein on this team also.

He could platoon with Willie at 2B against lefties. He could occasionally start at SS moving Uribe over to 3B in place of Crede. He gives us a smart, aggressive experienced, versatile infielder.

You can always use depth. (Ask the Bears re their QB situation) People do get hurt during the season you know. Also, players need a rest from time to time and it's great to have players that can step in without giving up too much.

Now as for Alex Cora on the other hand, I have no use for him on this team, as he is not as good as Harris.

12-22-2004, 06:54 PM
(courtesy of mlb.com)

David Eckstein

OBP SLG AVG
2001 .355 .357 .285
2002 .363 .388 .293
2003 .325 .325 .252
2004 .339 .332 .276

If Willie Harris isn't the answer at the top of the lineup, neither is David Eckstein. There is a reason the Angels wanted a new SS.
Eckstein had a helluva lot more at bats then Willie. He has been a full time fixture in our lineup while Willie has been a fill in at best

WSox8404
12-22-2004, 06:58 PM
(courtesy of mlb.com)

David Eckstein

OBP SLG AVG
2001 .355 .357 .285
2002 .363 .388 .293
2003 .325 .325 .252
2004 .339 .332 .276

But the thing is is that he has done the same thing over the past four years. Willie has been the most inconsistant player on the sox the past few years. When Willie is down, forget about him getting on base. Eck is much less streaky. We need players like that. Besides we need need a utility player anyhow. There is no one else really on this team that will be a fill in if someone is hurt or needs a day off. Willie could be that guy. It could be a platoon like last year, but instead of Valentine we would have Eck, which in my opinion is much, much better.

flo-B-flo
12-22-2004, 07:01 PM
I will also cast a vote for Eckstein. He reminds me of one of the old Go-Go Sox type players. Yes this I agree with. Low strikeout, base stealer, contact hitter, good bunter and tenacious competitor. :tongue:

OzzieBall2004
12-22-2004, 08:33 PM
:tomatoaward

Ive never had one (as far as I know). Plus I'll give myself a pat on the back for making the suggestion right when he got cut (granted, it was logical). Still hope it happens though.....

Jabroni
12-22-2004, 10:26 PM
In the conference call with KW at WhiteSox.com (http://www.whitesox.com), they asked KW if he is looking at Eckstein. KW said it wouldn't be beneficial to the team and negotiations if he answered that question.

I guess he doesn't want to get burned again like with the Vizquel signing. :tongue:

Mohoney
12-22-2004, 10:38 PM

How would you feel about this situation?

I want Willie and Crede to compete for one opening in the lineup. If Crede still sucks, you get your wish (and mine) and Willie plays while Crede sits or gets traded.

I want a 9-1-2 of Willie-Podsednik-Eckstein.

OEO Magglio
12-22-2004, 10:40 PM
(courtesy of mlb.com)

David Eckstein

OBP SLG AVG
2001 .355 .357 .285
2002 .363 .388 .293
2003 .325 .325 .252
2004 .339 .332 .276

OBP isn't everything. A two hitter has more responsibility then just to get on base. He has to know how to move runners along and that is something willie doesn't know how to do, while eck is a great bunter and a smart baseball player. Eck is an absolutely perfect number 2 hitter and until willie learns how to bunt, move runners along, take pitches to let guys steal, and overall be a smart baseball player he belongs at the bottom of the order.

Jabroni
12-22-2004, 10:42 PM
How would you feel about this situation?

I want Willie and Crede to compete for one opening in the lineup. If Crede still sucks, you get your wish (and mine) and Willie plays while Crede sits or gets traded.

I want a 9-1-2 of Willie-Podsednik-Eckstein.If Crede sucks again, that would definately be ideal. That would add a TON of speed to our lineup. :thumbsup:

Podsednik
Willie
Eckstein
Rowand
Uribe

Damn, that's alot of speed! :o:

lths06
12-22-2004, 10:56 PM
If Crede sucks again, that would definately be ideal. That would add a TON of speed to our lineup. :thumbsup:

Podsednik
Willie
Eckstein
Rowand
Uribe

Damn, that's alot of speed! :o:Scary. Now if they could only get on base...:rolleyes:

Fake Chet Lemon
12-22-2004, 11:20 PM
I'd like to see Eckstein at SS with Uribe over to third. If we go Pod-Harris-Rowand 1-2-3.....name the last team with that kind of speed at the top of the order. Smoking!

Jerry Seinfeld
12-23-2004, 01:09 AM
Sox getting Eckstein? No...No they won't.

Jerome
12-23-2004, 01:10 AM
OBP isn't everything. A two hitter has more responsibility then just to get on base. He has to know how to move runners along and that is something willie doesn't know how to do, while eck is a great bunter and a smart baseball player. Eck is an absolutely perfect number 2 hitter and until willie learns how to bunt, move runners along, take pitches to let guys steal, and overall be a smart baseball player he belongs at the bottom of the order.

You are right - Eckstein would be a better 2 hitter.

In terms of leadoff hitter tho - they are about the same. What if we get the 2004 Podsednik instead of the 2003? Who will leadoff? That's why I was comparing Willie to him.

In terms of 'baseball smarts' tho - Willie still has a way to go - I will agree.

Jerome
12-23-2004, 01:12 AM

lol teal is for sarcasm jerry.

batmanZoSo
12-23-2004, 01:15 AM
Any reasons why?????

And what's the deal with all these new posters?....:smile:

Jabroni
12-23-2004, 01:38 AM
lol teal is for sarcasm jerry.You'd think Jerry Seinfeld would know that... :tongue:

Fire Kenny
12-23-2004, 07:12 AM
Eckstien is only a slight upgrade over Willie, but if he's cheap enough the Sox do need another infielder, god help us if Kelly Dransfeldt is that man....

Realist
12-23-2004, 08:14 AM
And what's the deal with all these new posters?....:smile:Haven't ya heard? We're getting new green seats!!

:bandance: :supernana: :bandance:

Realist
12-23-2004, 08:16 AM
... and you wanna be my latex salesman. :?:

SoxFan48
12-23-2004, 09:24 AM
Ozzie was a lousy major leage baseball player who got by with a better than average glove. His offensive capabilities were among the worst ever--low OBP, low SLP, low OPS, low secondary average. Let's not fall into the trap of building a team in his image--meaning no Eckstein and no Cora.

zach074
12-23-2004, 10:02 AM
Haven't ya heard? We're getting new green seats!!

:bandance: :supernana: :bandance:
No they heard the payroll is being raised.

soxfan26
12-23-2004, 10:36 AM
Ozzie was a lousy major leage baseball player who got by with a better than average glove. His offensive capabilities were among the worst ever--low OBP, low SLP, low OPS, low secondary average. Let's not fall into the trap of building a team in his image--meaning no Eckstein and no Cora.We should also avoid the trap of using imaginary statistics to evaluate players. It's not all in the numbers.

rdivaldi
12-23-2004, 11:17 AM
And what's the deal with all these new posters?....:smile:
All of the sports radio guys are on vacation. What else are they gonna do with their time?

flo-B-flo
12-23-2004, 11:41 AM
Ozzie was a lousy major leage baseball player who got by with a better than average glove. And lots of guys (La Russa, Tanner, Earl Weaver way back when) hardly played or didn't play MLB and managed whatever they had in terms of talent. How could Chuck Tanner manage a team in HIS image?

Jabroni
12-23-2004, 11:59 AM
I hear the latest ESPN Insider predicts that Eckstein will end up with the Cardinals. :whiner: I hope they trade for Lugo instead. :wink:

JoseCanseco6969
12-23-2004, 12:15 PM

"Shhhhhhh." hey you should check out the angels page, they are heartbroken that eck is gone...
http://www.forums.mlb.com/n/mb/message.asp?webtag=ml-angels&msg=36988.1&ctx=0

OzzieBall2004
12-23-2004, 01:09 PM
hey you should check out the angels page, they are heartbroken that eck is gone...

"He quickly pointed out that Eckstein had a higher batting average and a better fielding percentage than Cabrera. I didn't know that Dylan knew what a fielding percentage was."

Awesome article/post.

I want this guy. Do I wish he hit .300, of course. But I think with this guys leadership, Podsednik's baserunning abilities, And Rock as the 1st base coach, we can have a hell of 1-2 punch at the top of the order. And if Willie can't learn from those 3 things, he'll never learn.

Jerome
12-23-2004, 03:40 PM
Ozzie was a lousy major leage baseball player who got by with a better than average glove. His offensive capabilities were among the worst ever--low OBP, low SLP, low OPS, low secondary average. Let's not fall into the trap of building a team in his image--meaning no Eckstein and no Cora.

P-P-P-Post of the Week!

What good is a team of all leadoff hitters if we have no one to drive them in?

A team built in the image of Ozzie Guillen would suck. His OBP was like .280. That's like Jose Valentin bad.

WhiteSoxAaron
12-23-2004, 03:42 PM
HEy I hope we do get him and peirzinski.

WhiteSoxAaron
12-23-2004, 03:46 PM
i think anything from here is a bonus for the sox

Jabroni
12-23-2004, 03:47 PM
OK, Duque: Sox spring for Hernandez
December 3, 2004
BY DOUG PADILLA Staff Reporter
http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-sox23.html

NOTES: Ryan Gleichowski, the agent for free-agent shortstop David Eckstein, confirmed Wednesday the Sox have inquired about the former Anaheim Angel. The 5-7 Eckstein, voted by fellow players as the major-leaguer who gets the most from his talent, was non-tendered by the Angels at Monday's deadline. He originally was a second baseman and could challenge Willie Harris for a starting spot next season.

WhiteSoxAaron
12-23-2004, 03:49 PM
anyone think we over paid el duque?

rdivaldi
12-23-2004, 03:55 PM
anyone think we over paid el duque?
That's a tough question. If he stays relatively healthy and pitches in 25+ ballgames we got a bargain. If he's injured half the season, we overpaid.

WhiteSoxAaron
12-23-2004, 03:57 PM
any news on wheather the soxw will get eckstien or peirzinski?

oldcomiskey
12-23-2004, 04:00 PM
yes, that way we could be assured of having two players out of position

Erik The Red
12-23-2004, 04:03 PM
any news on wheather the soxw will get eckstien or peirzinski? Trust me, the moment a decision is announced, it will be posted here. And the name of this thread will likely be changed to reflect the news.

chisox77
12-23-2004, 05:03 PM
Dan Bernstien at WSCR quoted some interesting statistics about Eckstein (age 29) on today's midday show: Last year, he hit .276, fielded .988 (highest in baseball), walks significantly more than he strikes out, and so on. It would be great if the Sox can add him to the middle infield, and put Uribe (age 25) and his very productive bat at second (leaving Willie Harris and Ross Gload as able backup infielders). I would welcome any replies. Also keep in mind that Eckstein played a major part in the Angels' 2002 World Series championship run.

maurice
12-23-2004, 05:05 PM
Eckstein at second, Uribe at short would be better.

chisox77
12-23-2004, 05:19 PM
Excellent point, Maurice, just as long as KW gets him here - the White Sox will be strong up the middle either way, and have more platooning options if they need to go that direction during the season.

Realist
12-23-2004, 06:40 PM
hey you should check out the angels page, they are heartbroken that eck is gone...
I wanted us to get Eckstein before I read that article. Now I want us to overpay for him.

ChiWhiteSox1337
12-23-2004, 07:29 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1952764

Eckstein's gonna be about 300 miles or so southwest of Chicago..he's going to St. Louis :whiner:

Realist
12-23-2004, 07:31 PM
:whiner:

Jurr
12-23-2004, 07:32 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1952764

Eckstein's gonna be about 300 miles or so southwest of Chicago..he's going to St. Louis :whiner:You knew that was going to happen. St. Louis has allocated money to sign someone to that spot. They have nobody to fill in. The Sox already have two stud infielders...Willie and Juan (sounds like a folk country band).

longshot7
12-23-2004, 07:33 PM
You knew that was going to happen. St. Louis has allocated money to sign someone to that spot. They have nobody to fill in. The Sox already have two stud infielders...Willie and Juan (sounds like a folk country band).
a mariachi band.

JUribe1989
12-23-2004, 07:34 PM
C'mon Alex Cora!! No more Willie starting next year. Give him something to prove

batmanZoSo
12-23-2004, 07:38 PM
Okay, this thread has had its fun.

EMel9281
12-23-2004, 07:54 PM
It's official!

The Cardinals have signed Eckstein.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/stl/news/stl_press_release.jsp?ymd=20041223&content_id=925628&vkey=pr_stl&fext=.jsp

Curses!

chisox77
12-23-2004, 07:58 PM
Do the Sox stay with Uribe (SS) and Harris (2B)? Are there other options, such as Alex Cora? Anyone else?

batmanZoSo
12-23-2004, 08:34 PM
Do the Sox stay with Uribe (SS) and Harris (2B)? Are there other options, such as Alex Cora? Anyone else?
Yes. Alex Cora. Until someone else signs him as well.

A. Cavatica
12-23-2004, 09:21 PM
Cabrera is still out there.

A. Cavatica
12-23-2004, 09:26 PM
D'oh. I remembered as soon as I typed that.

Brian26
12-23-2004, 09:27 PM
It's official!

The Cardinals have signed Eckstein.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/stl/news/stl_press_release.jsp?ymd=20041223&content_id=925628&vkey=pr_stl&fext=.jsp

Curses!
COME ON! THIS ISN'T FAIR! GRRRRRRRRR. :angry:

OzzieBall2004
12-24-2004, 01:30 AM
This is unacceptable. The payroll isn't anywhere near 75 million and we're to cheap to pay 3-4 for a proven, top-notch defensive shortstop with heart, who doesn't strike out, can play second and can be a community relations dream and a role model. Alex friggin' Cora is no better than Willie IMO, and we probably won't get him anyway.

THIS THREAD IS OFFICIALLY DEAD....

flo-B-flo
12-24-2004, 03:20 AM
Yes. Alex Cora. Until someone else signs him as well. The "as well" is the truest

DaleJRFan
12-24-2004, 03:54 AM
Cabrera is still out there.
NO he isn't, unless you consider signing a contract with the Angels as "out there."

hose
12-24-2004, 09:13 AM
The Sox are even cheap with the marked down players...AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH

SoxFan48
12-24-2004, 09:22 AM
Top notch defensive shortshop. Have you ever seen his hop and skip before he throws--totally incapable of throwing out any runner from deep in the hole.

And what is exactly is this bit about "heart"? Do you really think that the major league rosters are staffed with players of weak resolve, incapable of competing in a high pressure situation?

Eckstein is gone. We have a better SS in Uribe (look at numbers).

slavko
12-24-2004, 11:34 AM
Top notch defensive shortshop. Have you ever seen his hop and skip before he throws--totally incapable of throwing out any runner from deep in the hole.

And what is exactly is this bit about "heart"? Do you really think that the major league rosters are staffed with players of weak resolve, incapable of competing in a high pressure situation?

Eckstein is gone. We have a better SS in Uribe (look at numbers).This is nothing but what I saw on WSI for the past 2 years about Rowand. When he got a chance to play he turned out to be the team's best player, despite the majority of posters to WSI calling for anyone but him for 2 years.
Uribe deserves the chance to play regularly, if I can believe what I saw last year. Also, Willie can catch, throw and run and is coachable with the bat. I predict that we will be happy with him if he gets the chance to play. Relax and stop worrying. Sometimes the best trades are the ones you don't make.

PaleHoseGeorge
12-24-2004, 11:53 AM
.... Also, Willie can catch, throw and run and is coachable with the bat. I predict that we will be happy with him if he gets the chance to play. Relax and stop worrying. Sometimes the best trades are the ones you don't make.
Gload/Burke, Crede, and Harris.

Who bats ninth on your team?
:?:

Hangar18
12-24-2004, 01:34 PM
Gload/Burke, Crede, and Harris.

Who bats ninth on your team?
:?:
heh heh, Crede and Harris are Legitimate #9 hitters ..........
SO weve got a staff of 4 - #3/#2 pitchers, a decent #5 (garland)
2 #9 hitters in the same lineup, and STILL NO LEADOFF/TOP OF ORDER
hitter. The only difference from last year til now, is We Cut Payroll.
Thanks Jerry

Lip Man 1
12-24-2004, 01:44 PM
From the AP story on the Cardinals signing Eckstein:

"Eckstein who'll replace Womack in the leadoff spot chose the Cardinals because they aggresively pursued him and because he likes their chances of returning to the World Series. 'They have a great nucleus of guys' he said. 'That lineup that they put out there you're playing with a bunch of All Stars and it's going to be fun to be a part of it."

With free agents money is certainly an important part but not the only part, it's about winning and that doesn't mean 82-84 games, it's about having a realistic chance to get to the playoffs and then getting to the Series. Alas the Sox have a long way to go before they can sell potential free agents on that point.

Lip

Hangar18
12-24-2004, 02:33 PM
From the AP story on the Cardinals signing Eckstein:

"Eckstein who'll replace Womack in the leadoff spot chose the Cardinals because they aggresively pursued him and because he likes their chances of returning to the World Series. 'They have a great nucleus of guys' he said. 'That lineup that they put out there you're playing with a bunch of All Stars and it's going to be fun to be a part of it."

With free agents money is certainly an important part but not the only part, it's about winning and that doesn't mean 82-84 games, it's about having a realistic chance to get to the playoffs and then getting to the Series. Alas the Sox have a long way to go before they can sell potential free agents on that point.

Lip
Wow, Eckstein said that? Talk about a Slap-in-the-Face. How many times can Uncle Jerry be Slapped in the Face before he gets it? Randy Johnson also Slapped Jerry in the face earlier also ......... This is sad.
Being a SOX fan ............. is tough.

Rocky Soprano
12-24-2004, 02:40 PM
Thanks Jerry
What do you call Podsednik?

Chicago83
12-24-2004, 02:48 PM
All you people do is cry. We get a fifth starter and all you can do is cry about a sub-par SS who signed with the NL champs. Come on, you act like the white sox are the worst/cheapest team in the majors. All people do is whine about Jerry not spending money. It's riduculous, just be happy were not Tampa Bay or the Pirates.
We finally got a fifth starter and one of the better pitching staffs, we finally have something to be happy about, yet people are crying about a SS. Are all sox fans like this or just the ones who go on message boards?

OEO Magglio
12-24-2004, 02:50 PM
Wow, Eckstein said that? Talk about a Slap-in-the-Face. How many times can Uncle Jerry be Slapped in the Face before he gets it? Randy Johnson also Slapped Jerry in the face earlier also ......... This is sad.
Eck got a ton of money from the Cards, that is the reason he went there. I'm sure if the sox offered him anything similar he still would have went to the cards but if the sox beat the cards offer then I'm sure he would have thought of coming to the sox.

Chicago83
12-24-2004, 02:52 PM
Are you kidding me??? Being a sox fan is tough just because we couldn't get Johnson or Eckstein? What a joke. Look at all the teams who got nothing this offseason and who couldn't even sign a player as good as Dye.

The sox are not the yankees(even though everyone seems to expect them to be) and they are not the devil rays(even though everyone seems to think they are.) We are a middle market team and I think KW has built a quality team with the money he has. All I hear on this board is whining and it's starting to annoy me.

jabrch
12-24-2004, 03:01 PM
Are you kidding me??? Being a sox fan is tough just because we couldn't get Johnson or Eckstein? What a joke. Look at all the teams who got nothing this offseason and who couldn't even sign a player as good as Dye.

The season's over - we didn't get David Eckstein.

JR is cheap. KW is dumb. We didn't get David Eckstein.

Nobody wants to play for the Sox. 80+ losses are a lock. We didn't get David Eckstein

Disregard the fact that we finally have 5 starters.

Disregard that we have a deeper pen than any time in recent memory.

Disregard the fact that we have a potential leadoff hitter who went .314/.379 just one season ago.

Disregard the fact that we have a lineup with the potential to have 20+ HRs are every position except 2B and C.

Disregard the fact that it is only Christmas Eve - and that KW still has plenty of time to do good OR BAD to this roster.

LOL...

PaleHoseGeorge
12-24-2004, 03:28 PM
:reinsy
"We don't need no .276 hitting rumdrum!"

:veeck
"Yeah, what he said!"

:ohno
"You knew we would get to this point sooner or later..."

PaleHoseGeorge
12-25-2004, 02:07 PM
Since we didn't get Eckstein, I'm sending Herm Schnieder a Christmas present: a year's supply of the "clear" for Willie Harris.

:herm
"Here you go, Willie. It's flaxseed oil."

:barney&sham
"Hey Willie, you're going to need a bigger hat size in 2005!"

FightingBillini
12-25-2004, 02:49 PM
Thanks Jerry:chickenlittle

In the words of the Big Lebowski, "Yeah, man, well thats just... uh, like... your opinion."
We actually have 2 #1 starters, 2#2-3 starters, and a #5 in Garland. We also have a lead-off hitter now in Podsednik. While this team isnt a pre-season champ, its not nearly as bad as most on this board think. We have less holes this year than last.

Nick@Nite
12-25-2004, 07:49 PM
:tomatoaward :tomatoaward