PDA

View Full Version : Angels sign Orlando Cabrera

Jjav829
12-20-2004, 09:11 PM
Wow. I thought they decided against him. This leaves St. Louis in some trouble at shortstop. Their plan of Cabrera and Polanco has been eliminated in 24 hours. They could still trade for Polanco, though.

BTW, this also makes David Eckstein available.

Link (http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3264322)

Shingotime!!
12-20-2004, 09:13 PM
Orlando Cabrera = Overrated

soltrain21
12-20-2004, 09:16 PM
Orlando Cabrera = Overrated

I agree.

I doubt we will trade or get Eckstein, because that is what I want. He is a straight gamer and hustles more than anyone else I have ever seen. I don't think we will get him, though.

hose
12-20-2004, 09:24 PM
Here is KW's grinder.

Sign Eckstein and bat him second behind Pod.

soltrain21
12-20-2004, 09:26 PM
Yeah, Eckstein is going to be non tendered. I thought he was still under contract.

I hope we can get him, he will be really cheap. However, it looks like we will probably have to beat the Cardinals for him.

California Sox
12-20-2004, 09:52 PM
Both the Renteria and Cabrera signings are surprising IMHO. Boston has Hanley Ramirez, the Angels are loaded at the shortstop position and they both give four year deals. Oh well. I like Renteria about 400 times more than Cabrera, but they're both decent players.

And, yes, among a lot of other infielders, Eckstein would be an upgrade over Willie.

serena
12-20-2004, 10:06 PM
I heard the Cardinals were interested in getting Larkin & platooning him because they were tight on $$ after getting Mulder (even though he wasn't a free agent, I think he makes around $6 million this year).

MRKARNO
12-20-2004, 10:07 PM
I didnt expect this, but I can guarentee it improves the White Sox' chances of signing a good FA starter.

Foulke You
12-20-2004, 10:21 PM
I would love to have Eckstein. You could then move Uribe to second base full time and you'd have to feisty, speedy, scrappy players at the top of the order. He is also above average defensively. Hopefully KW is all over this one. He would fit the grinder mold to a tee and wouldn't break the bank.

Erik The Red
12-20-2004, 10:31 PM
The Angels just released him after the signing of Orlando Cabrera. I've always liked his style of play, and he comes fairly cheap, too (he made about 2.1 million last year).

Thoughts?

EDIT: I just noticed a lot of Eckstein talk in the Cabrera thread in Talking Baseball. Feel free to merge this with that thread if you want.

MeanFish
12-20-2004, 10:32 PM
My question is, why on Earth did the Angels make this move? It makes NO sense.

A. Cavatica
12-20-2004, 10:33 PM
He's the type of player the Sox need, which is to say, there's no chance we'll get him.

Edit: the above comment was merged in from another thread. I was talking about Eckstein. Actually, I looked up his last two seasons' worth of numbers, and I've changed my mind. With a .360 OBP, he's a good player. With a .330, he's not. We should take our chances with Willie before picking up Eckstein.

Jjav829
12-20-2004, 10:43 PM
My question is, why on Earth did the Angels make this move? It makes NO sense.
I don't know. I thought Moreno liked Maicer Izturis. I'm surprised he'd overpay Cabrera by that much. That money would have been better spent on pitching.

Jabroni
12-21-2004, 12:33 AM
I don't know. I thought Moreno liked Maicer Izturis. I'm surprised he'd overpay Cabrera by that much. That money would have been better spent on pitching.Which is good news because maybe now they won't be able to spend on Odalis Perez.

gosox41
12-21-2004, 08:26 AM
Wow. I thought they decided against him. This leaves St. Louis in some trouble at shortstop. Their plan of Cabrera and Polanco has been eliminated in 24 hours. They could still trade for Polanco, though.

BTW, this also makes David Eckstein available.

Link (http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3264322)
They definitely overpaid for this guy. I don't get it. He's good defensively but not so good offensively.

Bob