PDA

View Full Version : Maggs rumors

eastchicagosoxfan
12-20-2004, 09:40 PM
Just curious..........anyone hear any Maggs rumors. Has any team checked him out? Has any team expressed interest? Is Boras waiting to sign Beltran?

HomeFish
12-20-2004, 09:41 PM
This belongs in Talking Baseball.

OurBitchinMinny
12-20-2004, 10:15 PM
I have heard on espn the orioles are the front runners, but there are still a lot of question marks. Just as long as he doesnt sign with the cubs

Kogs35
12-20-2004, 10:18 PM
:whocares About maggs

OurBitchinMinny
12-20-2004, 10:23 PM
Not the stupid sox thats for sure. Letting your best player of the past 5 years go for nothing. I know he was hurt and there is little that could be done about it, but the way this team treats its stars (fisk, thomas, maggs) is a joke. Maggs did nothing but keep his mouth shut and play hard for his time here. They should have at least taken a look at him. But thats water under the bridge. Im sure he will recover and be an all star.

soltrain21
12-20-2004, 10:23 PM
I hope he does sign with the Cubs, that way they won't be able to get Beltran.

They can have him for all I care, he is dead to me.

OurBitchinMinny
12-20-2004, 10:26 PM
I hope he does sign with the Cubs, that way they won't be able to get Beltran.

They can have him for all I care, he is dead to me.

Will you be saying the same thing if maggs gets back to hitting .300 35 100 in wrigley? I wish him luck and hope he gets healthy, but not with the cubs.

soltrain21
12-20-2004, 10:28 PM
Will you be saying the same thing if maggs gets back to hitting .300 35 100 in wrigley? I wish him luck and hope he gets healthy, but not with the cubs.

I don't think thats possible. Maggs could very well be "good" again, but I don't think he can ever reach what he was. This knee thing sounds too..serious.

DickAllen72
12-20-2004, 10:32 PM
They should have at least taken a look at him.

Too bad Maggs would not let the Sox look at his knee.

Erik The Red
12-20-2004, 10:37 PM
Too bad Maggs would not let the Sox look at his knee. .

Shingotime!!
12-20-2004, 10:49 PM
Magglio is dead in my heart :(:

Mickster
12-21-2004, 12:13 AM
According to Rosenthal, Texas is looking at giving Maggs a 1 year contract to DH for them next year (keep him off the field and less of a chance to re-injure his knee).

Viva Medias B's
12-21-2004, 12:30 AM
:sopranos
"He's dead to me."

Jabroni
12-21-2004, 01:00 AM
Not the stupid sox thats for sure. Letting your best player of the past 5 years go for nothing. I know he was hurt and there is little that could be done about it, but the way this team treats its stars (fisk, thomas, maggs) is a joke. Maggs did nothing but keep his mouth shut and play hard for his time here. They should have at least taken a look at him. But thats water under the bridge. Im sure he will recover and be an all star.Someone put a leash on this guy... :rolleyes:

Frater Perdurabo
12-21-2004, 08:56 AM
According to Rosenthal, Texas is looking at giving Maggs a 1 year contract to DH for them next year (keep him off the field and less of a chance to re-injure his knee).

The Rangers would be smart to do so. Check out Maggs' stats in Arlington:

.405 AVG., .468 OBP, .762 SLG, 1.230 OPS

Of course, eveyone hits better in Arlington and against Rangers' pitching. Still, the Rangers announcers always dreaded Maggs stepping to the plate down here in Texas. Maggs would be smart to sign with the Rangers to DH. He could, if healthy, put up some monster numbers and turn that into a mega-contract in one year. He'd also have lineup protection batting cleanup with Young and Soriano batting before him and Teixeira and Blalock behind him.

gosox41
12-21-2004, 09:14 AM
Not the stupid sox thats for sure. Letting your best player of the past 5 years go for nothing. I know he was hurt and there is little that could be done about it, but the way this team treats its stars (fisk, thomas, maggs) is a joke. Maggs did nothing but keep his mouth shut and play hard for his time here. They should have at least taken a look at him. But thats water under the bridge. Im sure he will recover and be an all star.
I thin the Sox tried to take a look at him. Boras wouldn't let the Sox see him.

Bob

gosox41
12-21-2004, 09:15 AM

But Boras said he'll be 100% healthy by February. Why not lock him up for 5 years and have him play 150+ ganes in RF.

Bob

Mickster
12-21-2004, 10:00 AM
But Boras said he'll be 100% healthy by February. Why not lock him up for 5 years and have him play 150+ ganes in RF.

Bob
I agree. 5 Yr. / $65M deal sounds about right. Must include some deferred money, though.

TDog
12-21-2004, 11:46 AM
I have heard on espn the orioles are the front runners, but there are still a lot of question marks. Just as long as he doesnt sign with the cubs
The O's are looking to replace Albert Belle's looming degenerative presence with either Ordonez or Sosa.

Mickster
12-21-2004, 11:47 AM
The O's are looking to replace Albert Belle's looming degenerative presence with either Ordonez or Sosa.
Hey, I think that Mo Vaughn is considering coming back to play.....

gosox41
12-21-2004, 11:49 AM
I agree. 5 Yr. / $65M deal sounds about right. Must include some deferred money, though.

And anyone who signs him should do it without checking medical records. Those are just technicalities. Any team now willing to take that kind of risk on Ordonez is stupid.

Bob

PaleHoseGeorge
12-22-2004, 07:59 PM
Any new newz on everybody's favorite ex-Sox malcontent?

He's welcome to do his "tryout" in my backyard. It's about 4 degrees out there.

:gulp:

veeter
12-23-2004, 10:00 AM
My dream senario is that Beltran stays with the Astros, Maggs signs with the Mets (so he can't hurt us directly) and the Cubs remain stuck with Sosa. With Beltran and Carlos pounding the Cubs 18- 19 times a year the Cubs ought to be good for 3rd or 4th place.

samram
12-23-2004, 10:12 AM
Any new newz on everybody's favorite ex-Sox malcontent?

:gulp: :maggs

"Sure thing. I'll be right over. Oh wait, I, uh, left the iron on, yeah that's it. Maybe tomorrow. You'll be amazed, just you wait."

winning ugly 72
12-23-2004, 11:41 AM
My dream senario is that Beltran stays with the Astros, Maggs signs with the Mets (so he can't hurt us directly) and the Cubs remain stuck with Sosa. With Beltran and Carlos pounding the Cubs 18- 19 times a year the Cubs ought to be good for 3rd or 4th place.

I AGREE WITH THAT DREAM SENARIO I WANT MAGS NOWHERE NEAR THE SCRUBS

lowesox
12-24-2004, 09:57 AM
I think the way Maggs handled the knee thing (or, at least, the way he let Boras handle the knee thing) was absolutely low. And while I'll always appreciate Maggs and respect him, I hope he gets screwed over big time for $$$.

PaleHoseGeorge
12-24-2004, 10:16 AM

Here's an update. It's now -3 degrees in my backyard and Magglio still hasn't shown up.

Loser.
:wink:

mike squires
12-26-2004, 08:17 AM
Miny, I know the Magg topic has been discussed around her many times. But, the Sox offered him a rather large chunk of change and a long tem deal as well. Maggs said no. End of story. It would have been a gmble to keep Maggs on the Southside. The last thing we need is another Albert Bell on our hands.

ode to veeck
12-26-2004, 11:05 AM
He's welcome to do his "tryout" in my backyard. It's about 4 degrees out there. LOL, That ought to keep the swelling down on the knee

Brian26
12-26-2004, 12:43 PM
LOL! Great post.

bigfoot
12-26-2004, 07:25 PM
I heard that Mark Chmura is available!