PDA

View Full Version : Astros Non-Tender Wade Miller!

MRKARNO
12-20-2004, 08:09 PM
Astros non-tendered RHP Wade Miller.
Lance Berkman, Roy Oswalt, Mike Lamb, Brandon Duckworth, Peter Munro and Tim Redding were all tendered. Miller will get more from another team than he would have in arbitration from the Astros. If his shoulder was sound, he shouldn't have had any trouble getting Russ Ortiz money. As is, expect offers from the usual suspects. The Yankees and Red Sox will try to bring him in to as a sixth starter, and the Mariners and Dodgers could promise him rotation spots. Dec. 20 - 9:03 pm et
Wow! This signigicantly alters the FA pitchers market regardless of whether we go after him. Maybe a team that was going after Perez would now go after Miller? Who knows, but this is mighty good news.

By the way, if we could sign him within our means, I'd be ALL in favor of that.

Kogs35
12-20-2004, 08:09 PM
Wow! This signigicantly alters the FA pitchers market regardless of whether we go after him. Maybe a team that was going after Perez would now go after Miller? Who knows, but this is mighty good news.
wow!

Foulke You
12-20-2004, 08:14 PM
What kind of contract is Miller supposed to command? Is he 100% healthy? I don't know too much about Miller to be quite honest.

MRKARNO
12-20-2004, 08:16 PM
What kind of contract is Miller supposed to command? Is he 100% healthy? I don't know too much about Miller to be quite honest.
No he's not 100% healthy and that's why he was nontendered. Once the teams find out his health status, it should become apparent whether he'll get a Pavano contract or a Nomar-like contract.

Foulke You
12-20-2004, 08:19 PM
Wow, if Clemens decides to stay retired and Beltran leaves for greener pastures, it could be a long year for the Stros...

ChiWhiteSox1337
12-20-2004, 08:34 PM
Ken Rosenthal of The Sporting News mentioned in his article today that the Astros and White Sox were thinking about doing a Lee for Miller swap so perhaps the white sox will be interested in him now that he's an FA. :D::cool:

mdep524
12-20-2004, 08:42 PM
Ken Rosenthal of The Sporting News mentioned in his article today that the Astros and White Sox were thinking about doing a Lee for Miller swap so perhaps the white sox will be interested in him now that he's an FA. :D::cool:
Interesting. I don't have much confidence in Miller staying healthy, otherwise he has the potential to be a real stud. Investigate, KW!

ChiWhiteSox1337
12-20-2004, 08:52 PM
Here's the article if any of you are interested
The Astros inquired about Diamondbacks 1B Shea Hillenbrand (http://bigleaguers.yahoo.com/mlbpa/players/6332/), figuring they also could play him at third and in left. The team also considered trading RHP Wade Miller (http://bigleaguers.yahoo.com/mlbpa/players/6270/) for OF Carlos Lee (http://bigleaguers.yahoo.com/mlbpa/players/6161/) before Lee went to the Brewers. . .
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=insidedishbravesplantolo&prov=tsn&type=lgns

serena
12-20-2004, 08:58 PM
Miller is very good when healthy and is the risk is definitely worth it in terms of making him an offer.

Sounds like a lot of teams will be thinking the same thing, though. :o:

RichFitztightly
12-20-2004, 09:25 PM
He was pretty crappy for me in my fantasy league a couple of years ago. Other than that, he's better than Grilli or Schoenweis.

soltrain21
12-20-2004, 09:29 PM
He was pretty crappy for me in my fantasy league a couple of years ago.

Thats it! Don't sign him! :D:

California Sox
12-20-2004, 09:48 PM
I had him in fantasy this year and he was pretty decent until he got hurt. Think Jon Garland with more huevos. Shoulder injuries are always much scarier than elbow injuries, though, in my non-orthopedist's opinion.

Rocklive99
12-20-2004, 10:37 PM
From ESPN.com who gets it from Stats Inc
Miller is a hard-nosed, no-excuses battler who fought hard in every game and led the team with 161 strikeouts. He throws a two-seam and a four-seam fastball that run in the 92-94 MPH range. He has a very good curve, slider and changeup when his delivery is smooth. But he also has a complicated delivery that sometimes gets out of whack. His command wasn't always as pinpoint as it had been in the past. Astros officials also believe he was playing hurt with nagging injuries to his shoulder and elbow much of last season, but he never complained about them or missed any extensive time.

Miller is an athletic player who can field reasonably well, but that area still can take some improvement. His pickoff move is nothing special, but he is conscientious about keeping opposing baserunners in check and has benefited from having the strong-armed Brad Ausmus behind the plate.

Wade Miller again was the workhorse of the Astros' staff, making the most starts (33) and piling up a team-high 187.1 innings. And while he was second on the club in victories, his 14-13 record was nowhere near the consistency and dominance he had shown the previous two years, when he posted 16-8 and 15-4 marks, respectively. He struggled through much of the season to find that edge and seemed to gain it in August, when he went 4-1 with a 1.69 ERA. But in September, he again struggled and had a poor outing in one of the season's biggest games against the Giants.

The Astros hope that an offseason of rest will help Miller work out the problems he had with his elbow. Doctors don't believe it is serious, and that it only needs rest. Team officials still believe he can be among the top pitchers in the league if he puts together an injury-free season.
Quick Splits (Avg/OPS)
VS. LEFT: .212 / .648 VS. RIGHT: .242 / .728 HOME: .214 / .712 AWAY: .241 / .672
EDIT: All the info is a year old. The stats from the 03 season and the outlook/offseason hope for the 04 season

Soxzilla
12-20-2004, 10:42 PM
I wouldn't be opposed to signing this guy and then signing SS as a backup plan. Then you got Hermanson also, which gives you 7 possible starters without having to deal with the gamut of 'talent' down in AAA.

Of course ... then we better find another utility player.:smile:

DSpivack
12-20-2004, 10:54 PM
I wouldn't be opposed to signing this guy and then signing SS as a backup plan. Then you got Hermanson also, which gives you 7 possible starters without having to deal with the gamut of 'talent' down in AAA.

Of course ... then we better find another utility player.:smile:
What makes anyone think that Hermanson, Schoeneweis, or even Grilli are decent 5th starters?

GAsoxfan
12-20-2004, 11:05 PM
KW should sign Miller, Hernandez, and Schoeneweis then each one could start for 1/3 of the year untill they get injured.

Seriously though, if Miller can prove he's healthy, it would be a good pick-up for the Sox.

Frater Perdurabo
12-21-2004, 07:59 AM
He's also pitched with success in the Cell-like bandbox that is Minute Maid Park. He'd be a good pickup.

gosox41
12-21-2004, 08:17 AM
Here's the article if any of you are interested

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=insidedishbravesplantolo&prov=tsn&type=lgns
So let me seei f I understand. Miller has rotator cuff problems and hasn't pitched since July. Yet the Sox were willing to trade Lee for him while the Astros (who have probably seen medical records) decide to let him go for nothing?

Bob

Soxzilla
12-21-2004, 08:41 AM
What makes anyone think that Hermanson, Schoeneweis, or even Grilli are decent 5th starters?
I don't. I was just saying they would be INSURANCE in case one of the other 5 get injured. This isn't mvp, you can't turn off injuries.:rolleyes:

mjharrison72
12-21-2004, 10:08 AM
I had him in fantasy this year and he was pretty decent until he got hurt. Think Jon Garland with more huevos. Shoulder injuries are always much scarier than elbow injuries, though, in my non-orthopedist's opinion.You don't even want to know who I traded to get Wade Miller and Miguel Cabrera in the beginning of last year's fantasy season...

Mariano Rivera and Tony Womack.

D'oh!

mdep524
12-21-2004, 10:26 AM
Though I am all for a Wade Miller signing, I have to join the ranks of those who have been completely disappointed by Miller's performance on my fantasy team. The guy was always injured! I got nothing out of him! And he was a pretty high draft pick...

Anyway, make the move KW.