PDA

View Full Version : Arb deadline for Schoenweis and Davis passed?

GiveMeSox
12-20-2004, 08:22 PM
The deadline for us to offer contracts to our arbitration elgible free agents has come and gone. Has anyone heard any news on what the deal is. I know Davis and Schoenweis were arbitration elgible and thus had not been offered a contract. If we dont they become non-tendered free agents. So anyone have any news.

Shingotime!!
12-20-2004, 08:38 PM
I thought the deadline was 12 pm E.T. tonight, i could be wrong thou.

DrCrawdad
12-20-2004, 11:00 PM
WhiteSox.com says that the Sox have NOT given Schoenweiss arbitration. HEY GONE!

Ol' No. 2
12-20-2004, 11:07 PM
I thought the deadline was 12 pm E.T. tonight, i could be wrong thou.Correct. And you won't hear until tomorrow unless a team announces it beforehand, which the Sox usually don't do. Sit tight.

MarkyBear
12-20-2004, 11:11 PM
Schoeneweis not offered contract

LINK 2 STORY (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20041220&content_id=924524&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp)

To me, a disturbing quote from the story:

Cooper has been in contact with Schoeneweis throughout the offseason, and basically stated Monday that if Schoeneweis accepted the team's offer, he would have been the fifth starter. That chance to start, something Schoeneweis was clamoring for when he arrived, should have outweighed a nominal salary increase.

"I'm disappointed (Schoeneweis) and his agent did not accept the offer," Cooper said of the left-hander, who is represented by Scott Boras. "I wanted another crack at trying to see what we could do with him as a starter.

"If he signs the deal, he's our fifth guy. I just hope now he can get the same opportunity somewhere else as a starter. He might be able to get more than was offered, but he might have to go to the bullpen.

Almost starting to look like the Sox search for a 5th consisted of Clement and Shoey...

anewman35
12-20-2004, 11:13 PM
Schoeneweis not offered contract

LINK 2 STORY (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20041220&content_id=924524&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp)

To me, a disturbing quote from the story:

Almost starting to look like the Sox search for a 5th consisted of Clement and Shoey...
Or, if you think about this logically, Cooper has very little knowledge of what the team is trying to sign. He deals with the players we have, he doesn't worry about ones KW might get.

MarkyBear
12-20-2004, 11:22 PM
Or, if you think about this logically, Cooper has very little knowledge of what the team is trying to sign. He deals with the players we have, he doesn't worry about ones KW might get.

I tried, but I also remember the problems Shoey caused midseason with his "Start me or trade me" non-sense...Now if Coop tells Shoey he'll be the 5th starter if he agreed to the $1.725 mil, Shoey signed and then KW signed a 5th starter, what would they do with Shoey??? The bullpen is pretty much set and he would certainly demand another trade...

infohawk
12-20-2004, 11:34 PM
Or, if you think about this logically, Cooper has very little knowledge of what the team is trying to sign. He deals with the players we have, he doesn't worry about ones KW might get.I read this a little differently. If he had signed under the presumption that he would be guaranteed the fifth starters job, wouldn't he have had a very legitimate reason to feel betrayed if the Sox acquired another pitcher, forcing Schoenweiss out of the rotation? Since we know that KW is still interested in acquiring another pitcher, why is Cooper guaranteeing Schoenweiss the fifth spot in the rotation? That is ultimately a decision for the GM and manager. I have a hard time believing that Cooper would presume he had the authority to guarantee the fifth spot to Schoenweiss unless he had the approval from KW to do so.

Speculation warning -- Kenny is still looking for another starter. Could it be that the Sox do have a potential trade lined up with the Dodgers for Vazquez, and the deal involves shipping Garland to the Dodgers? Vazquez would fill the third spot and Contreras the fourth, leaving Schoenweiss, had he signed, as the fifth starter? The Dodgers would be acquiring a decent bottom of the rotation starter for a decent price. I have heard that Ishii might be sent to the Yankees as a part of the deal. Granted, I don't know all of the details, but Garland would seem to me to be a good replacement for Ishii, and might see increased success in the national league. Dumping Green and not replacing him with a high salary in the trade might free the Dodgers up to make a run at Carlos Beltran or some other player they might have their eyes on. DePodesta keeps referring to the need for other deals to be in order before he pulls the trigger on the three team trade.

Ol' No. 2
12-20-2004, 11:38 PM
I read this a little differently. If he had signed under the presumption that he would be guaranteed the fifth starters job, wouldn't he have had a very legitimate reason to feel betrayed if the Sox acquired another pitcher, forcing Schoenweiss out of the rotation? Since we know that KW is still interested in acquiring another pitcher, why is Cooper guaranteeing Schoenweiss the fifth spot in the rotation? That is ultimately a decision for the GM and manager. I have a hard time believing that Cooper would presume he had the authority to guarantee the fifth spot to Schoenweiss unless he had the approval from KW to do so.

Speculation warning -- Kenny is still looking for another starter. Could it be that the Sox do have a potential trade lined up with the Dodgers for Vazquez, and the deal involves shipping Garland to the Dodgers? Vazquez would fill the third spot and Contreras the fourth, leaving Schoenweiss, had he signed, as the fifth starter? The Dodgers would be acquiring a decent bottom of the rotation starter for a decent price. I have heard that Ishii might be sent to the Yankees as a part of the deal. Granted, I don't know all of the details, but Garland would seem to me to be a good replacement for Ishii, and might see increased success in the national league. Dumping Green and not replacing him with a high salary in the trade might free the Dodgers up to make a run at Carlos Beltran or some other player they might have their eyes on. DePodesta keeps referring to the need for other deals to be in order before he pulls the trigger on the three team trade.There's no question in my mind that DePodesta does not intend to keep Vazquez. "Other deals" would seem to refer to the Sox. I think you might be right in thinking that they were looking at Schoeneweis as the 5th starter if they traded Garland. But there are lots of pitchers at least as good flooding the market today. I don't think finding another 5th starter to take Garland's place will be that hard.

soxfan43
12-20-2004, 11:49 PM
sox let go of schoenweis. least we don't have to worry about him being the 5th starter now.

infohawk
12-20-2004, 11:50 PM
There's no question in my mind that DePodesta does not intend to keep Vazquez. "Other deals" would seem to refer to the Sox. I think you might be right in thinking that they were looking at Schoeneweis as the 5th starter if they traded Garland. But there are lots of pitchers at least as good flooding the market today. I don't think finding another 5th starter to take Garland's place will be that hard.True, but the Sox and the Dodgers would appear to be natural trading partners. The Sox want a top-of-the-rotation starter and the Dodgers may be looking for a fifth starter. I have heard that Ishhi (SP?) has had somewhat of a tough time ever since he was hit by a line drive. Perhaps the Dodgers will get the Yankees to take his salary off their hands as part of the deal. Garland is a cheap replacement from the Dodgers perspective. They certainly don't want Vazquez and his salary. That would somewhat dillute the reason for dumping Green's salary. The entire deal, including spin-offs, may make a great deal of sense for each team from a financial perspective as well. Players changing teams as part of these multi-team, multi-player deals can also be motivated by the desire to even out the money. Fun to speculate, anyway!

Ol' No. 2
12-20-2004, 11:55 PM
True, but the Sox and the Dodgers would appear to be natural trading partners. The Sox want a top-of-the-rotation starter and the Dodgers may be looking for a fifth starter. I have heard that Ishhi (SP?) has had somewhat of a tough time ever since he was hit by a line drive. Perhaps the Dodgers will get the Yankees to take his salary off their hands as part of the deal. Garland is a cheap replacement from the Dodgers perspective. They certainly don't want Vazquez and his salary. That would somewhat dillute the reason for dumping Green's salary. The entire deal, including spin-offs, may make a great deal of sense for each team from a financial perspective as well. Players changing teams as part of these multi-team, multi-player deals can also be motivated by the desire to even out the money. Fun to speculate, anyway!It does seem like such a logical move it's hard to see it not happening. A lot may depend on how much cash the Dodgers are willing to throw in. They certainly got some from the Yankees. JR will probably not be willing to take on all of Vazquez' salary. Maybe that's the sticking point. I'm pretty sure the Dodgers will want someone else. If they're still insisting on Marte, maybe Kenny is balking at that.

Jabroni
12-21-2004, 01:17 AM
KW must be seriously thinking about signing Pierzynski as our starting catcher instead of just bringing back Ben Davis...

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20041220&content_id=924524&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp
Although it had not been officially announced, the White Sox reportedly offered arbitration to outfielder Aaron Rowand. The decision on Ben Davis was still up in the air, while right-hander Jon Garland, shortstop Juan Uribe and outfielder Timo Perez all agreed to new deals before Monday night.

DMarte708
12-21-2004, 01:41 AM
KW must be seriously thinking about signing Pierzynski as our starting catcher instead of just bringing back Ben Davis...

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20041220&content_id=924524&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp Over an hour has passed since the dealine. News should begin to trickle out.

If Davis is non-tendered, Pierzynski immediately becomes a member of the White Sox. No excuses. Overbid for his services if necessary.

Let's say Williams non-tenders Davis, and Pierzynski signs elsewhere, KW should look forward to another job. That would make two instances he's given up players and missed a targeted FA.

Jabroni
12-21-2004, 01:55 AM
Over an hour has passed since the dealine. News should begin to trickle out.

If Davis is non-tendered, Pierzynski immediately becomes a member of the White Sox. No excuses. Overbid for his services if necessary.

Let's say Williams non-tenders Davis, and Pierzynski signs elsewhere, KW should look forward to another job. That would make two instances he's given up players and missed a targeted FA.Well, the thing is Davis would likely cost around $1.5 million dollars, right? Pierzynski could probably be had for around $3.5 million. The increase in A.J.'s bat is worth it in my opinion, especially with our currently weak 7 - 8 - 9 in the order.

Rocklive99
12-21-2004, 02:05 AM
So any news on Ben yet, or should I just go to bed and expect to hear about it after waking up?

EDIT: Rotoworld is on it

White Sox non-tendered catcher Ben Davis.
And that's all 41 non-tenders. Since Davis made $1.4 million last season, the White Sox didn't want to go to arbitration with him. However, they could try to re-sign him for right about what he made last year. The alternative would be to make a run at Jason Varitek or A.J. Pierzynski. Dec. 21 - 2:05 am et

StillMissOzzie
12-21-2004, 02:21 AM
I read the article about Shoney on whitesox.com, and it's just another case of why I think arbitration sucks. It seemed Shoney felt he was due a "market value" raise of 35% - 50%, when injuries have prevented him from demonstrating that market value. I can't say that I blame the Sox for not wanting to go to arbitration with this guy. Also intersting is that now, he's talking up his versatility as a starter, setup man, or long relief. All he wanted to do for the Sox was be a starter. Unfortunately, Shoney won't be allowed to name both his salary AND his role on his new team.

SMO
:gulp:

OurBitchinMinny
12-21-2004, 02:23 AM
sox let go of schoenweis. least we don't have to worry about him being the 5th starter now.
it would have been better him than grilli which is the way it stands at this moment, which means no playoffs for us

Joosh
12-21-2004, 02:33 AM
MLB.com Reports 4 players not offered Arb from Sox

CHICAGO (4) -- Ben Davis, C; Ryan Meaux, LHP; Scott Schoeneweis, LHP; Eduardo Villacis, RHP.

Hope we can still snag Ben. He's a decent backup.

owensmouth
12-21-2004, 03:07 AM

Hope we can still snag Ben. He's a decent backup.
Only if we have a decent front line catcher.

Jabroni
12-21-2004, 03:18 AM

Hope we can still snag Ben. He's a decent backup.I'd rather spend the $1.5 - $2 million that Davis would get on Pierzynski and use Burke as our primary backup. Our 7 - 8 - 9 is far too weak with Crede, Davis, and Willie. What would Pierzynski cost us -- maybe twice as much as Davis? I think his bat would be worth it as long as we still sign a starting pitcher like Perez. Another starting pitcher is still more important than Pierzynski of course.