PDA

View Full Version : Middle Infield

Chisox003
12-20-2004, 08:13 PM
Ok, we know that a solid starting pitcher is the first priority. Pierzynski signing would solidify our catchers, but there is still a glaring hole...second base
If Willie Harris is the White Sox starting 2B on opening day, the Sox will have the weakest middle infield in the AL...Uribe is solid defensivly, so he makes a good SS, but is terribly inconsistent hitting...Other than that we have nobody to fill that up the middle spot...I would love to see a guy like Hairston because that would make a lethal 1, 2 punch at the top with Podsednik...Speed Kills

Anybody hear anything about a SS/2B coming to the South Side?

ondafarm
12-20-2004, 08:21 PM
Ok, we know that a solid starting pitcher is the first priority. Pierzynski signing would solidify our catchers, but there is still a glaring hole...second base
If Willie Harris is the White Sox starting 2B on opening day, the Sox will have the weakest middle infield in the AL...Uribe is solid defensivly, so he makes a good SS, but is terribly inconsistent hitting...Other than that we have nobody to fill that up the middle spot...I would love to see a guy like Hairston because that would make a lethal 1, 2 punch at the top with Podsednik...Speed Kills

I absolutely disagree. I watched Harris play 2B in the minors and he is a solid defensive player, not a glaring hole.

Daver
12-20-2004, 08:31 PM

How would signing a bad defensive catcher soldify the catcher position?

nodiggity59
12-20-2004, 08:53 PM
Can you cite anywhere that Pierz is bad at throwing out runners, blocking balls, or calling games/handling pitchers? I would like it if someone who keeps saying this actually did, it would make these arguments seem much less arbitrary.

MRKARNO
12-20-2004, 09:01 PM
Can you cite anywhere that Pierz is bad at throwing out runners, blocking balls, or calling games/handling pitchers? I would like it if someone who keeps saying this actually did, it would make these arguments seem much less arbitrary.
I have heard that the San Francisco pitching staff went into revolt at one point last year in terms of their relationship to him.

AJ threw out 23% of baserunners last year and hasnt thrown out more than 30% in his full major league seasons. These arent good numbers.

Chisox003
12-20-2004, 09:04 PM
Hes actually a solid defensive catcher, not to mention a pretty good hitter with some pop...Burke/Davis are average defensive catchers, and both would be lucky to hit their weight...

Willie Harris--I know hes a good defensive player, but thats about it...Hes proven that he cant steal bases, therefore he cant utilize his speed...At times, he looks like he can be a pretty good hitter, but most of the last 2 seasons he has been absolutly lost at the plate...

MRKARNO
12-20-2004, 09:05 PM
Hes actually a solid defensive catcher, not to mention a pretty good hitter with some pop...Burke/Davis are average defensive catchers, and both would be lucky to hit their weight...

Willie Harris--I know hes a good defensive player, but thats about it...Hes proven that he cant steal bases, therefore he cant utilize his speed...At times, he looks like he can be a pretty good hitter, but most of the last 2 seasons he has been absolutly lost at the plate...
Yeah, he was on the Twins so that necessarily makes him a good defensive catcher.

Daver
12-20-2004, 09:07 PM
Hes actually a solid defensive catcher,

Based on what?

Comparisons to Josh Paul?

Donny Lucy is a better defensive catcher than him now, and he is playing A ball.

Chisox003
12-20-2004, 11:54 PM
I just read that Orlando Cabrera was signed by the Angles today, and David Eckstein was not offered a contract...How about a Eckstein/Uribe middle infield? Id take it...

Back to Pierzynski...Im not trying to base the signing totally around his defensive ability...Lets just say he is an average defensive catcher..It would still be an upgrade over Davis and Burke hitting wise, and again, Pierzynski brings an additude that I just would like to see out of a White Sox player once in awhile....