PDA

View Full Version : Rob Neyer chatting on ESPN.com

Rocklive99
12-20-2004, 02:07 PM
These guys never take my questions :angry: White Sox mentioned though (most wont like it) and a little bit of interesting stuff besides the 20 'how are the Yankees/Red Sox/Dodgers going to be next year?' questions and a fued between him and Drew from Chicago about his love for Billy Beane. Anyways here's some of it...

zinchicago: Say the first word that comes to mind when you hear "Carlos Lee for Scott Podsednik"

Rob Neyer: (2:58 PM ET ) Bellevue. (I know, most of you born after 1970 won't get the joke, unless you live in New York.) I'm not going to hammer on Kenny Williams because it's the season for good spirits. Instead, let's just say that Doug Melvin is making some good moves in Milwaukee.
-
Bill (LA): Better FA value: Odalis Perez of Kevin Millwood?

Rob Neyer: (2:56 PM ET ) I don't know, because I haven't seen $$$ floated for either of them. I do think both are underrated, and particularly Millwood. It's easy to look at his 4.85 ERA and get scared off, but his strikeout rate is still good and he was "hit-unlucky" in 2004. If teams are looking for a bargain, they could do a lot worse, and I actually think Millwood's roughly as good as Clement.
-
RobG (New Haven, CT): What's the difference between Shilling doped on on painkillers and (Insert name) juiced up on the cream?

Rob Neyer: (2:42 PM ET ) It's a good question, Rob. Something that's generally left out of the discussion is the fundamental question, "Where do you draw the line?" But isn't "illegality" a pretty good start? Schilling's painkillers were, we can assume, legally prescribed by a doctor. And that's not been the case with your favorite (Insert name). Like I said, it's just a start.
-
Ross (DC): Any idea where there wasn't more interest in Polanco? He seems to be a fairly solid 2B/3B and could have fit in well in Oakland, NY or Boston.

Rob Neyer: (2:34 PM ET ) No, I don't. It's true that a lot of teams aren't smart enough to appreciate him, and I don't know what kind of money he'd command on the market. But I'm surprised the Yankees or Red Sox didn't make a serious play for Polanco, who's one of the more underrated players in the majors. He's got pop, and he's a good infielder at two positions (second and third).
-
Jeff (Schenectady, NY): With Polanco accepting arbitration, who do you think the best available second baseman is?

Rob Neyer: (2:14 PM ET ) Uh, nobody? I suppose that anybody's available via trade, but none of the remaining free agents are worth much more than a minor-league contract. Unless I'm missing somebody.
-
Chip (NY, NY): Does Jeff Moorad still think he gets a percentage of the contracts he's giving out in Arizona?

Rob Neyer: (3:03 PM ET ) It's an interesting question, actually. In all those years as one of the more successful baseball agents, Moorad's job was to convince general managers and arbitrators that players were worth more than they really were (yes, I'm speaking generally here). But did he really believe what he was doing? And does he still believe it, now that he's running a team? I don't know, but one more crazy deal and they guys with the butterfly nets will be dragging him off to (Phoenix's version) of Bellevue.
-
Jim (NJ): Is it possible that Yanks signed Wright over Clement because Wright is coming off his one good season while Clement has never had a good season?

Rob Neyer: (2:30 PM ET ) I'll assume you're not joking . . . Clement's ERA's, relative to league and adjusted for his home ballparks, have been better than league average in each of the last three seasons. A caveat, though: last season, when he went 9-13, was probably his best season . . . and it wasn't great. Clement's 30, and I don't think he can be counted for much better than a league-average ERA. Bottom line, the Red Sox need to score a lot of runs in 2005.
If anymore Sox talk is mentioned, I'll edit it in

Soxzilla
12-20-2004, 02:23 PM
Bogus, how can you even compare Schilling taking pain killers to someone juicing up!?!

That is by far one of the most ignorant things I've ever heard.:?:

EDIT - Is he saying we are poisoned?:rolleyes: Nvm I'm thinking of that other crappy band, Bel Div o or whatever.

MRKARNO
12-20-2004, 02:25 PM
That's kind of interesting on Millwood. Now that I look past the ERA, he might not look too bad. I'm willing his ERA wont go up all that much (from the 4ish he'd probably post if he returned to Philly) because Philly is a hitters' park already. What worries me is that he's definately not a groundball pitcher. It looks like he just got unlucky last year. His HR rate didnt even go up that much. He'd probably be a good candidate for a one year 5 million dollar contract if he'd take it, but I wouldnt give him anything longer than two years under any circumstances.

SomebodyToldMe
12-20-2004, 02:28 PM
Bogus, how can you even compare Schilling taking pain killers to someone juicing up!?!

EDIT - Is he saying we are poisoned?:rolleyes: Nvm I'm thinking of that other crappy band, Bel Div o or whatever.
Bel Biv Devoe

fledgedrallycap
12-20-2004, 02:30 PM

Improving the ability of what one's normal output would be... Without painkiller's, Schilling wouldn't be able to pitch... I don't agree with the comparison, but that's the logic behind it.

D. TODD
12-20-2004, 02:37 PM

EDIT - Is he saying we are poisoned?:rolleyes: Nvm I'm thinking of that other crappy band, Bel Div o or whatever. I do not see it as totally ignorant! Steroids allows those using it to work out at higher levels to improve their game, Pain killers allow those who use them to preform at a higher level during the game or workouts. Vicadin is near epidemic porportions in pro sports, & used totally out of context if you or I want a perscription. Performance inhancement is the common bond her, just as the "greenies" amphedimines were commonplace in every clubhouse before games in the 70's & 80's. All drugs and their use should be tighten & monitored, pain meds included

Huisj
12-20-2004, 03:03 PM
Pain killers allow those who use them to preform at a higher level during the game or workouts.
would it be better to say that pain killers allow those who use them to perform closer to the level they would play at if they were not hurt, rather than that they actually make you play better?

I'm a player is not hurt, and he takes pain killers, what exactly does it do?

(that's not meant to be just a retorical question--I'm really wondering. Are there benefits of doing this?).

infohawk
12-20-2004, 03:23 PM
I'm not surprised by Neyer's assessment of the Lee for Podsednik/Vizcaino trade. As a sabremetrician, Neyer sees Lee's healthy .OBP and .OPS and can't understand why he would be traded for a guy coming of a season with a poor .OBP and .OPS. Neyer may be discounting Podsednik's 2003 stats as an abberation. Sabremetricians also don't put any stock in the value of stolen bases.

Soxzilla
12-20-2004, 03:38 PM
I was on a prescription of Vicoprofun for when I fractured my spine, and while it made the pain in my back go away, there is no way if I went out on the ice (Hockey goalie), it would have improved my skills and made me a better goalie.

It would have put my performance back in my own hands, instead of having to worry about a nagging injury.

...Heck, maybe boxers shouldn't cut themselves anymore, that might be grouped in with taking steroids!

Tragg
12-20-2004, 04:14 PM
I'm not surprised by Neyer's assessment of the Lee for Podsednik/Vizcaino trade. As a sabremetrician, Neyer sees Lee's healthy .OBP and .OPS and can't understand why he would be traded for a guy coming of a season with a poor .OBP and .OPS. Neyer may be discounting Podsednik's 2003 stats as an abberation. Sabremetricians also don't put any stock in the value of stolen bases.
It doesn't take a sabrematician to determine we got royally screwed in that trade from a talent persepectve. Lee has superior numbers in EVERY category except steals; so we got a middle reliever thow in, but it hardly evens it out.

It's the money part of this deal that made it reasonable; unfortunately, the salary seems to have been for a salary dump.
Otherwise, we could have gotten the real player we needed, a pitcher, and THEN dumped Lee to save salary