PDA

View Full Version : El Duque declines arbitration, Loaiza not offered arbitration...

Jabroni
12-20-2004, 02:59 PM
"El Duque, Sierra reject arbitration"
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_news.jsp?ymd=20041220&content_id=924249&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp
Orlando Hernandez and Ruben Sierra, the only two of the Yankees' nine free agents offered arbitration by the club, rejected their arbitration offers. Both have until Jan. 8 to re-sign with New York.The seven free agents who were not offered arbitration by the Yankees are Miguel Cairo, Tony Clark, Travis Lee, Esteban Loaiza, C.J. Nitkowski, John Olerud and Enrique Wilson.Are these decent fall-back plans for KW if he doesn't get Odalis Perez?

Ol' No. 2
12-20-2004, 03:02 PM
"El Duque, Sierra reject arbitration"
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_news.jsp?ymd=20041220&content_id=924249&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp
Are these decent fall-back plans for KW if he doesn't get Odalis Perez?I've been saying I thought Hernandez might be a decent pickup if we don't get Perez, or if Garland is traded to get Vazquez. Cairo might be a nice pickup, as the Sox really don't have any IF backup. Loaiza only if it's a 1-yr deal at not much money, and I think someone else will offer more.

MRKARNO
12-20-2004, 03:31 PM
I've been saying I thought Hernandez might be a decent pickup if we don't get Perez, or if Garland is traded to get Vazquez. Cairo might be a nice pickup, as the Sox really don't have any IF backup. Loaiza only if it's a 1-yr deal at not much money, and I think someone else will offer more.
I dont like Cairo that much unless it's for close to the league minimum. As far as El Duque goes, that probably would be a good pickup for us. I didnt want to think about that before when it looked like we would get Clement or Perez, but short term this might be a good option for one year while Brandon McCarthy gets his final minor league seasoning. My big problem with him is that he's a flyball pitcher to a severe degree and if he wasnt striking out 8 per 9 innings he'd have some big problems. A "return" to the White Sox might be a good idea (remember we had him for a few minutes before we traded him to Montreal for Colon).

HomeFish
12-20-2004, 03:37 PM
Both are better than Grili/Diaz. Shoey might be a slightly cheaper and better option if he's healthy.

MRKARNO
12-20-2004, 03:43 PM
Both are better than Grili/Diaz. Shoey might be a slightly cheaper and better option if he's healthy.
I'm starting to warm to the idea of bringing Schoe back as well. He's significantly better than those two if healthy. I think the SChoeneweis we saw in April and May is the real Scott, but he got hurt and just couldnt pitch well through his problems. I mean he had a 3.64 ERA through the first two months and then he totally changed as a pitcher. He got schalacked against Texas on May 25th and wasnt the same pitcher since.

RKMeibalane
12-20-2004, 03:43 PM
Hernandez would be a nice addition. The Sox need to find someone else to solidify the back end of their rotation. I think I speak for everyone here when I say that the fifth-starter situation must be resolved before the 2005 season begins. That spot alone may have prevented the Sox from winning the division in 2003. If you recall, the Sox received hardly any production from the fifth spot. They ended up losing the division by four games. If they had gotten anything from one of their 5th starters, they would have overtaken Minnesota.

GAsoxfan
12-20-2004, 03:53 PM
If healthy, Hernandez would be an excellent pickup, but his arm troubles worry me. SS might not be a bad option either.

I'm still holding out hope KW will land Perez (it's a very slim hope, but as Sox fans that's really the only kind of hope we have, except no hope)

34 Inch Stick
12-20-2004, 03:59 PM
At the end of the season I thought it was reported that the Yanks were willing to give Kevin Brown away while paying a significant amount of his salary. I am wondering if this might not be an option as well.

wdelaney72
12-20-2004, 04:02 PM
I'm starting to warm to the idea of bringing Schoe back as well. He's significantly better than those two if healthy. I think the SChoeneweis we saw in April and May is the real Scott, but he got hurt and just couldnt pitch well through his problems. I mean he had a 3.64 ERA through the first two months and then he totally changed as a pitcher. He got schalacked against Texas on May 25th and wasnt the same pitcher since.
I'll have faith in SS as soon as he completes a full season as starting pitcher. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think he's ever done this. I expect more than SS in our rotation, especially since KW publicly stated his plan was to use the $$ saved to sign a SP and solidfy one of the best rotations in the AL. SS and Judy Garland at #4 and #5 puts us right back to last year... no thanks.

RKMeibalane
12-20-2004, 04:18 PM
At the end of the season I thought it was reported that the Yanks were willing to give Kevin Brown away while paying a significant amount of his salary. I am wondering if this might not be an option as well.
Kevin Brown = Clubhouse cancer

munchman33
12-20-2004, 04:32 PM
Kevin Brown = Clubhouse cancer
Kevin Brown = CY potential

Soxzilla
12-20-2004, 04:33 PM
The only way I would want SS as the fifth starter, would be if we picked up a middle of the rotation guy like Perez or Vazquez and had to deal Garland some way.

Otherwise like delaney said ... we are right back to last year ... and I'm sure we haven't forgotten where last year lead us.

Foulke You
12-20-2004, 07:23 PM
I'll have faith in SS as soon as he completes a full season as starting pitcher. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think he's ever done this. I expect more than SS in our rotation, especially since KW publicly stated his plan was to use the $$ saved to sign a SP and solidfy one of the best rotations in the AL. SS and Judy Garland at #4 and #5 puts us right back to last year... no thanks.
A rotation that includes a 100% healthy Scott Schoeneweis and Jose Contreras and Freddy Garcia for a full season is not the same rotation as last year. At this point, I would take a 1 year deal for Schoneweis for cheap (1 mil or so should do the trick). Schoe might be a good stop gap for the #5 until KW can upgrade the team mid season as he did with Freddy last year. I'm for any move that keeps Grilli/Diaz/Munoz/Stewart out of the rotation next year.

MRKARNO
12-20-2004, 07:53 PM
If we paid only 7-8 million and didnt have to give up a prospect of significance, I'd certainly do it.

OEO Magglio
12-20-2004, 08:08 PM
The only way I would want SS as the fifth starter, would be if we picked up a middle of the rotation guy like Perez or Vazquez and had to deal Garland some way.

Otherwise like delaney said ... we are right back to last year ... and I'm sure we haven't forgotten where last year lead us.
Actually we aren't. Shoey would be our 5th starter and he was our 4th starter going into last year. When he was pitching well we still had the blackhole as the 5th starter. We brought in Freddy when shoe got hurt and he was never the same.

Lip Man 1
12-20-2004, 08:54 PM
FWIW:

A friend in the Tribune sports department (management) told me they are hearing that Perez wants more then the Sox are willing to pay. They don't know if this came from Perez's agent or from Perez himself.

Lip

eastchicagosoxfan
12-20-2004, 09:50 PM
I've always liked El Duque. He strikes me as a money guy. I wonder If he would be open to the idea of being a closer? I'm gonna look up his record, but I think he's a very intriguing possibilty. Esteban was a one-hit wonder.

MRKARNO
12-20-2004, 09:52 PM
I've always liked El Duque. He strikes me as a money guy. I wonder If he would be open to the idea of being a closer? I'm gonna look up his record, but I think he's a very intriguing possibilty. Esteban was a one-hit wonder.
We dont need help at the back end of the bullpen. We need a 5th starter and he could come in and be a 3rd starter and push down contreras and Garland.

MRKARNO
12-20-2004, 09:52 PM
FWIW:

A friend in the Tribune sports department (management) told me they are hearing that Perez wants more then the Sox are willing to pay. They don't know if this came from Perez's agent or from Perez himself.

Lip Perez's value might have gone down with the nontendering of Wade Miller.

eastchicagosoxfan
12-20-2004, 10:03 PM
We dont need help at the back end of the bullpen. We need a 5th starter and he could come in and be a 3rd starter and push down contreras and Garland.I'm not suggesting bullpen work is easier, but look what it did for Smoltz's career. Either way, El Duque is worth pursuing. I don't know if his bag of tricks would play for 6-7 innings, but it might for 1. Hermanson's name is bounced around as a starter. El Duque pitched 85 innings last year, but he'll be 40, maybe older if he lied about his age.

Soxzilla
12-20-2004, 10:30 PM
Actually we aren't. Shoey would be our 5th starter and he was our 4th starter going into last year. When he was pitching well we still had the blackhole as the 5th starter. We brought in Freddy when shoe got hurt and he was never the same.
For half a season ... yeah. :/