PDA

View Full Version : Scott Schoenweis

Slow Mike
12-20-2004, 01:41 PM
Today is the day the Sox have to either tender Schoney or he becomes a free agent, I believe. Does anyone have an update? As bad as it sounds, right now he looks like our best number 5 starter (Grilli sucks). Even if they were to invest $2 million on him, and then they were able to unexpectedly sign Perez or a capable #3/#5 starter, he would be a strong bullpen asset as a lefty and be able to provide a spot start. Then Cotts could learn how to pitch in AAA. What does everyone think?

Slow

beck72
12-20-2004, 01:49 PM
Schoeneweis is the LH version of Hermanson, able to start and throw out of the pen. He was good as the 4th starter last yr before he got hurt. Whether he's able to throw 6, 7 innings at a time, I don't know. If Garland is moved as part of a deal [say for Vazquez] SS could be the 5th SP

I_Liked_Manuel
12-20-2004, 01:53 PM
i've posted this before. IF, and i know it's a huge IF, he can stay healthy, and he's only asked to go 6 innings a start, he would win around 15 games.

no, this should not be in teal.

MHOUSE
12-20-2004, 01:53 PM
As far as I know, only three players (of the league-wide 41) who were offered arbitration have accepted. That would be Clemens with Houston, Polanco with Philly, and Villone with Seattle. The deadline was last night so I assume that if we did offer Schoeny arbitration then he didn't accept it. That means he has until January 8 to negotiate a contract with us or we lose the ability to sign him until March. (If I've read the articles correctly)

dcb33
12-20-2004, 01:54 PM
Today is the day the Sox have to either tender Schoney or he becomes a free agent, I believe. Does anyone have an update? As bad as it sounds, right now he looks like our best number 5 starter (Grilli sucks). Even if they were to invest $2 million on him, and then they were able to unexpectedly sign Perez or a capable #3/#5 starter, he would be a strong bullpen asset as a lefty and be able to provide a spot start. Then Cotts could learn how to pitch in AAA. What does everyone think?

SlowWho's Scott Schoenweis? Or do you mean Scott Schoeneweis? Is he healthy? I wouldn't sign him if the Sox knew they were going to sign another starter becuase of the problems he would create being in the bullpen, mainly that he's pretty vocal about not wanting to be in the bullpen.
If the Sox have no realistic plans of signing another starter (which I have a feeling is the case), then they should just go ahead and sign him, becuase you're right- he'd be better than Grilli/Diaz/whoever else we can drag up from the minors.

Ol' No. 2
12-20-2004, 01:55 PM
Schoeneweis made $1.7M last year, and he's unlikely to get significantly more in arbitration. I'd say it's worthwhile to offer arb or a contract at a similar amount. The Sox don't have an over-abundance of LHP in the pen. He could be at least a not-horrible 5th starter if all else fails. Or they might be able to trade him later this winter.

Ol' No. 2
12-20-2004, 01:56 PM
As far as I know, only three players (of the league-wide 41) who were offered arbitration have accepted. That would be Clemens with Houston, Polanco with Philly, and Villone with Seattle. The deadline was last night so I assume that if we did offer Schoeny arbitration then he didn't accept it. That means he has until January 8 to negotiate a contract with us or we lose the ability to sign him until March. (If I've read the articles correctly)The deadline is tonight, and with less than 6 full years in the majors, he doesn't have a choice.

SoxxoS
12-20-2004, 02:01 PM
I wouldn't mind bringing him back IF HEALTHY. He pitched very well last year before the shoulder problems.

stillz
12-20-2004, 02:06 PM
Signing a healthy scott s. absent another SP makes sense. I do recall he was a bit of a knob last season when it was mentioned he might be put in the pen. Not a bad 5th starter/long reliever though.

mweflen
12-20-2004, 02:09 PM
Maybe I'll get stoned for this, but if it's a choice between Schoney and Grilli, I'd pick Grilli in a heartbeat. Schoney's attitude SUCKED all year. He's a whiner, a baby, and has a disgusting sense of entitlement. He should be flipping burgers somewhere alongside John Rocker with that attide.

Ol' No. 2
12-20-2004, 02:11 PM
Signing a healthy scott s. absent another SP makes sense. I do recall he was a bit of a knob last season when it was mentioned he might be put in the pen. Not a bad 5th starter/long reliever though.Judging from some of the comments Ozzie made about him last year, I don't think he wants him on the team. But from a strategic point of view, it might be worthwhile to sign him or offer arb, if only to trade him later. LHP are generally in demand, and he's good enough to be a 5th starter on a lot of teams.

dcb33
12-20-2004, 02:16 PM
Judging from some of the comments Ozzie made about him last year, I don't think he wants him on the team. But from a strategic point of view, it might be worthwhile to sign him or offer arb, if only to trade him later. LHP are generally in demand, and he's good enough to be a 5th starter on a lot of teams.
I don't think he would sign with us unless he feels he's guaranteed a spot in the rotation. It would be a great move for the Sox strategically to sign him with no intent of having him play and then dump him for someone else, but if that were the case, I'm sure Schoeny would figure out what the Sox were trying to do and would refuse to sign. Why would he want to sign here and have no control over where he ends up when he could just as easily test the market himself and have a little bit more control over his destiny? There are a lot of teams that have a lot more holes in their rotations than we do in ours....

Ol' No. 2
12-20-2004, 02:17 PM
I don't think he would sign with us unless he feels he's guaranteed a spot in the rotation. It would be a great move for the Sox strategically to sign him with no intent of having him play and then dump him for someone else, but if that were the case, I'm sure Schoeny would figure out what the Sox were trying to do and would refuse to sign. Why would he want to sign here and have no control over where he ends up when he could just as easily test the market himself and have a little bit more control over his destiny? There are a lot of teams that have a lot more holes in their rotations than we do in ours....He's not a FA. He doesn't have a choice if they offer arbitration.