PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Jenks

ChiSox14305635
12-17-2004, 03:03 PM
Per the Score.

Hard throwing pitcher (hit 100mph a couple of times), but has injury problems and a few head problems.

Mohoney
12-17-2004, 03:07 PM
Per the Score.

Hard throwing pitcher (hit 100mph a couple of times), but has injury problems and a few head problems.
Another name for the Knights.

Anybody like Randar, Rex, Daver, or Maurice have a scouting report?

I'm assuming that he takes Eduardo Villacis's spot, right?

Jabroni
12-17-2004, 03:09 PM
I'm assuming that he takes Eduardo Villacis's spot, right?Yes, they designated Villacis for assignment to make room for Jenks.

Mohoney
12-17-2004, 03:11 PM
Yes, they designated Villacis for assignment to make room for Jenks.
Now it's a waiting game to see who takes Meaux's spot.

Jabroni
12-17-2004, 03:12 PM
Now it's a waiting game to see who takes Meaux's spot.Clement?

MRKARNO
12-17-2004, 03:13 PM
He was injured all last year with an elbow problem. When healthy, he has been able to strike a lot of guys out and not give up too many homers, but he walks A TON of people, which is his major downfall. This will be an interesting project in the minor leagues this year.

Tekijawa
12-17-2004, 03:15 PM
He was injured all last year with an elbow problem. When healthy, he has been able to strike a lot of guys out and not give up too many homers, but he walks A TON of people, which is his major downfall. This will be an interesting project in the minor leagues this year.
MEAT?

Too Bad Sandy signed with the rangers... I have a good project for him now.

rdivaldi
12-17-2004, 03:17 PM
Jenks is all fastball, but it's unbelievable how hard this guy can throw (102 on a gun in 2003). I don't know if guys that throw that hard can sustain it for very long. He already has fractures in his elbow. His curve is a big sweeper, but he has trouble locating it.

His 2004 season was forgettable at best, got knocked around pretty badly in AAA, then got shut down due to the aformentioned elbow problems.

Jjav829
12-17-2004, 03:17 PM
He's a complete headcase. I'd be surprised if he ever makes the majors.

thedudeabides
12-17-2004, 03:21 PM
Didn't he have a drug problem?

MRKARNO
12-17-2004, 03:22 PM
I'd be surprised if he ever makes the majors.
Youre probably right. I was reading something a few minutes ago that he has a reputation for being almost impossible to coach.

T-Bag
12-17-2004, 03:23 PM
I can't find his 2004 stats (Maybe hurt?) Here are his 2003 from AA ball pretty impressive.
http://www.bobbybrownlie.com/01_bobby_jenks.htm

NonetheLoaiza
12-17-2004, 03:23 PM
Was it Jenks that there was an ESPN segment about? Supposedly he had alcohol problems or something like that and parties too much? I can't remember, but I recall the name from a couple years ago. Lots of potential, but another one of those talents that has trouble bringing it all together.

Jabroni
12-17-2004, 03:25 PM
Was it Jenks that there was an ESPN segment about? Supposedly he had alcohol problems or something like that and parties too much? I can't remember, but I recall the name from a couple years ago. Lots of potential, but another one of those talents that has trouble bringing it all together.Yep. Angels fans say that Jenks is a fat, alcoholic, racist, Redneck. :tongue:

He is supposed to have as much potential as any pitching prospect in baseball but his alcohol problems have held him back.

MRKARNO
12-17-2004, 03:26 PM
I can't find his 2004 stats (Maybe hurt?) Here are his 2003 from AA ball pretty impressive.
http://www.bobbybrownlie.com/01_bobby_jenks.htm
He had an elbow problem and was out for all but a few games.

Randar68
12-17-2004, 03:32 PM
Here is a scouting report fromt he 2003 Angels Top Ten list via BaseballAmerica.com where he rated #3.

3. Bobby Jenks, rhp Age: 22. B-T: R-R. Ht.: 6-3. Wt.: 225. Drafted: HS–Spirit Lake, Idaho, 2000 (5th round). Signed by: Jack Uhey.

Background: After an encouraging stint in big league spring training, Jenks was suspended for team violations at midseason. Subsequently demoted from Double-A Arkansas to extended spring training, he worked hard and finished 2002 by leading the Arizona Fall League in strikeouts for the second straight season.

Strengths: With an overpowering fastball that has hit 102 mph, Jenks is on the verge of harnessing his explosive stuff. He works in the mid- to upper 90s and added a two-seamer in the AFL. His power curveball is among the best breaking pitches in the minors, and he gained the confidence to throw it for strikes in Arizona. His arm action is clean and effortless.

Weaknesses: Jenks needs consistency on and off the field. He has to establish a rhythm on the mound and repeat his delivery. He has a feel for his changeup, but doesn’t trust it enough to throw it for strikes.

The Future: Jenks will return to Double-A if he can build off his fall success in spring training. Scouts compare his dominant repertoire and frame to a young Curt Schilling. If he doesn’t develop command, his stuff might allow him to become a closer.
In 2004, he rated #5 in their system:

5. Bobby Jenks, rhp

Drafted: HS—Spirit Lake, Idaho, 2000 (5th round).
Signed by: Jack Uhey.

Background: Jenks has overcome more obstacles than most 23-year-olds. Many of them have been self-induced, including a suspension for violating team rules in 2002. Just when he was starting to make the most significant progress of his career last season, he was the subject of a revealing ESPN Magazine article. Then he spent two months on the disabled list with a stress reaction in his elbow.

Strengths: Jenks lights up radar guns, generating easy 93-99 mph readings in every start. He has topped out at 102 but is learning the importance of command and movement over velocity. His curveball features hard, downward bite and can be an unhittable pitch. He rarely uses his changeup, but he’ll flash an above-average one on occasion.

Weaknesses: Jenks is still learning to harness his emotions and his overpowering repertoire. He came into spring last year 30 pounds overweight, which led to complications with his mechanics.

The Future: Angels officials noticed more ambition from Jenks after the ESPN article. If he follows up a strong winter in Puerto Rico with a good spring, he likely will head to Triple-A Salt Lake.

Mohoney
12-17-2004, 03:47 PM
He is supposed to have as much potential as any pitching prospect in baseball but his alcohol problems have held him back.
Who the hell DOESN'T have an alcohol problem?

If you drink or smoke cigarettes, EVEN THOUGH IT'S LEGAL, you're branded as an un-American, terrorist, baby-killer vampire.

The guy has clocked 102 on a radar gun? Well worth the minimal gamble.

SEALgep
12-17-2004, 03:50 PM
He's young too, if this kid matures and puts it together... Oh man do we have a pretty solid arm.:bandance:

rdivaldi
12-17-2004, 03:51 PM
If you drink or smoke cigarettes, EVEN THOUGH IT'S LEGAL, you're branded as an un-American, terrorist, baby-killer vampire.
Shouldn't that be in teal?

T-Bag
12-17-2004, 03:57 PM
He's young too, if this kid matures and puts it together... Oh man do we have a pretty solid arm.:bandance:
So there is no need for Clement then!!

SEALgep
12-17-2004, 03:57 PM
Bobby Jenks (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.asp?leaguenum=&sport=MLB&id=7285) - S - CWS (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/clubhouse_news.asp?leaguenum=&sport=MLB&majteam=CWS)

White Sox claimed RHP Bobby Jenks off waivers from the Angels.
The White Sox don't have a lot to lose by taking a chance on Jenks, but it's not a move that figures to pay off in 2005. Jenks will miss the start of the season after surgery to repair a stress reaction in his elbow. Dec. 17 - 2:58 pm et

SEALgep
12-17-2004, 03:58 PM
So there is no need for Clement then!!Right, ya?:D: I'm thinking more out of the pen, hopefully in 06.

Dick Allen
12-17-2004, 03:59 PM
Sounds a little like Billy Koch all over again, only without the expectatons.

santo=dorf
12-17-2004, 04:01 PM
So there is no need for Clement then!!WHAT THE HELL IS THAT? MY EYES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:tealpolice:

Randar68
12-17-2004, 04:03 PM
WHAT THE HELL IS THAT? MY EYES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:tealpolice:
LOL!

"The Teal Police, they come to me in my bed..."

T-Bag
12-17-2004, 04:07 PM
[QUOTE=santo=dorf]WHAT THE HELL IS THAT? MY EYES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My bad.......

which one is teal? 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ??? :D:

santo=dorf
12-17-2004, 04:19 PM
My bad.......

which one is teal? 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ??? :D: None of the above.

Click on the color menu.
Move the arrow to the square in the second row, fifth column.
Leave the arrow there, and you'll notice it will say "teal."

TEAL

duke of dorwood
12-17-2004, 04:33 PM
Yep. Angels fans say that Jenks is a fat, alcoholic, racist, Redneck. :tongue:

So is Robert Schuller to them

Jabroni
12-17-2004, 04:35 PM
Bobby Jenks' minor league stats:

http://img81.exs.cx/img81/1928/bobbyjenks6wh.jpg

Baines2Raines
12-17-2004, 04:53 PM
I think he was suspended for being on roids too. The Angels had a couple minor leaguers who were on roids and got caught. I do believe that Jenks was one of them.

Also why would anybody say this is Koch all over again? What kind of thinking is that? This cost the White Sox nothing. If the kid doesn't work out, the White Sox don't lose anything. If the kid becomes a good closer or starter, then the White Sox got a steal!

California Sox
12-17-2004, 04:58 PM
Yes, they designated Villacis for assignment to make room for Jenks.
No! Villacis was our future! :whiner:

California Sox
12-17-2004, 05:03 PM
Actually if the guy gets his arm straightened out and goes to rehab (maybe Raines could sponsor him) he's got a lot of upside. Kind of like... Kyle Farnsworth. Oh, never mind.

But it sort of makes up for the loss of Ryan Wing.

Mohoney
12-17-2004, 05:03 PM
Shouldn't that be in teal?
Why should it be? It's the truth.

Randar68
12-17-2004, 05:04 PM
I think he was suspended for being on roids too. The Angels had a couple minor leaguers who were on roids and got caught. I do believe that Jenks was one of them.
I don't think so. He did try to mutilate himself with a lighter once, though. If he used steroids at any point, he must have done nothing but sit on the couch, because he was often criticized for being out of shape.

ESPN article on his a while back:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=1562608&type=columnist

Jabroni
12-17-2004, 05:09 PM
I don't think so. He did try to mutilate himself with a lighter once, though.Oh, who doesn't do that when they're drunk?

Fungo
12-17-2004, 11:26 PM
He still has a lot of growing up to do mentally. If he gets back on track - WOW nice acquisition. Up to 100 MPH FB with a power CB when on. Curve Ball is among the best in the minors. Not a bad gamble at all by the Sox.

EMel9281
12-20-2004, 01:16 PM
I'm sort of surprised that there aren't any threads about our most recent acquisition, Bobby Jenks. Take a look at the picture on MLB.com of him. He's listed as 6'3" and a whopping 270!

He reminds me of the Great Ham-bino in The Sandlot.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/images/players/action/ph_408057.jpg (javascript:popWin('/team/player_gallery/player_gallery.html?408057','playerGallery',725,60 0))

See the resemblance!!!!!

"Fernando Valenzuela! Started out a pitcher, wound up a truck!" - Albert Brooks quote from The Rookie

Hangar18
12-20-2004, 02:00 PM
when did we pick him up? man, that guy is Pantload.
I wish him well, we need all the help we can get .......

JGarlandrules20
12-20-2004, 02:00 PM
:o: ...he's oogly.

CHISOXFAN13
12-20-2004, 02:07 PM
I'm sort of surprised that there aren't any threads about our most recent acquisition, Bobby Jenks. Take a look at the picture on MLB.com of him. He's listed as 6'3" and a whopping 270!

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/images/players/action/ph_408057.jpg (javascript:popWin('/team/player_gallery/player_gallery.html?408057','playerGallery',725,60 0))

See the resemblance!!!!!

"Fernando Valenzuela! Started out a pitcher, wound up a truck!" - Albert Brooks quote from The Rookie

There was probably a four page thread on him signing last week.

Banix12
12-21-2004, 04:16 AM
I don't know about the roid rumors but if the only drug he has a problem with is booze then that's fine by me. In fact it's almost refreshing when a guy can throw a ball 100 mph and strike out 100 batters while on a performance reducing drug.

In fact it can be a great accomplishment, just ask David "I was hungover when I pitched a no-hitter" Wells.

No risk here, if he suceeds we have a reliever with a killer fastball. If he fails we trade him to the Mexican league for a gross of Churros.

StockdaleForVeep
12-21-2004, 05:01 AM
Per the Score.

Is this the same guy FSN did a special on saying he was supposed to be the next Nolan ryan but is a crazy drinker and has two huge scars on his forearms from puttin cigars out?

SoxxoS
12-21-2004, 10:59 AM
On a related but unrelated note, how is Colt Griffin doing...the "high school phenom" that hit 100mph on the radar gun? Anyone got any updates or scouting reports?

hosieryofthegods
12-21-2004, 01:54 PM

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/images/players/action/ph_408057.jpg (http://javascript<b></b>:popWin('/team/player_gallery/player_gallery.html?408057','playerGallery',725,60 0))

See the resemblance!!!!!

Like Joe Cowley with a mullet:D: .