PDA

View Full Version : Catcher Upgrade

EMel9281
12-20-2004, 12:42 PM
Since we all, for the most part, want an upgrade at the catcher position, has anyone seen that Varitek declined arbitration?

Hmmm...

NonetheLoaiza
12-20-2004, 12:44 PM
the short and long of it is that he wants too much money. im happy with sticking to davis and burke unless a better option becomes available.

HomeFish
12-20-2004, 12:48 PM
If the Sox cannot afford Clement, they certainly cannot afford Varitek.

mweflen
12-20-2004, 12:54 PM
The Sox cannot afford the bitterness and resentment it will create in the beleagured fan base if they cut payroll by 8 mil, hike ticket prices by 15%, and then DO NOTHING.

Varitek, Lowe, Pierzynski.... ANYBODY!!!!

Frater Perdurabo
12-20-2004, 01:01 PM
They may yet sign Perez or make a trade for Vasquez. Let's wait and see; February is still six weeks away.

Dolanski
12-20-2004, 01:06 PM
Tek is going to get 10-11 mill from the Red Sox. The White Sox have Ben Davis (a KW "we've had our eye on this guy for awhile"). They need a 5th starter first. So considering that the team has a "starter" that management likes, and they need a starting pitcher before they need a catcher, I would say you will not see VTek on the Southside except when the Red Sox are in town. Also, he declined arbitration to push the Red Sox to sign him, not because he is looking elsewhere.

And if you really think Varitek has a shot at playing here, I heard that KW is also looking at free agents Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and the Tooth Fairy.

Ol' No. 2
12-20-2004, 01:07 PM
And if you really think Varitek has a shot at playing here, I heard that KW is also looking at free agents Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and the Tooth Fairy.Are any of them lefties?:D:

EMel9281
12-20-2004, 01:13 PM
And if you really think Varitek has a shot at playing here, I heard that KW is also looking at free agents Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and the Tooth Fairy.
That must be where the savings from Caballo is going...

I knew it!

MeanFish
12-20-2004, 01:14 PM
That must be where the savings from Caballo is going...

I knew it! Uh oh...you've been busted by:

:tealpolice:

serena
12-20-2004, 01:15 PM
Tek is going to get 10-11 mill from the Red Sox. The White Sox have Ben Davis (a KW "we've had our eye on this guy for awhile"). They need a 5th starter first. So considering that the team has a "starter" that management likes, and they need a starting pitcher before they need a catcher, I would say you will not see VTek on the Southside except when the Red Sox are in town. Also, he declined arbitration to push the Red Sox to sign him, not because he is looking elsewhere.

I've heard that he's really pushing to get his no-trade clause. It'll be interesting to see who blinks first.

PaleHoseGeorge
12-20-2004, 01:18 PM
Spend the money on a starting pitcher. However if the Sox need to upgrade the starting line up, let it be at either 2B or 3B. Harris and Crede are the two nimrods making it difficult to let a weak-hitting catcher bat #9.

I'll gladly accommodate a strong-defensive catcher in our line up. Next to pitching, a catcher is the most important defender on the field. As for all the other positions it's not even close...
:cool:

Those other two *******s who seem entitled to another year playing everyday can go **** themselves. They hurt the ballclub-- both financially and in the win column.
:mad:

We can do better than upgrading catcher.

Bench or trade these ****ing *******s ----> :weewillie :crede

EMel9281
12-20-2004, 01:20 PM
Uh oh...you've been busted by:

:tealpolice:
And, I appreciate it because I have never been 100% certain when to use it. I thank you, Officer Mioff...:D:

MeanFish
12-20-2004, 01:21 PM
Yeah, I've been waiting for an opening to use that particular smilie. So it's a win-win :cool:

EMel9281
12-20-2004, 01:22 PM
Yeah, I've been waiting for an opening to use that particular smilie. So it's a win-win :cool:
Glad I could oblige...:D:

voodoochile
12-20-2004, 01:27 PM
The Sox cannot afford the bitterness and resentment it will create in the beleagured fan base if they cut payroll by 8 mil, hike ticket prices by 15%, and then DO NOTHING.

Varitek, Lowe, Pierzynski.... ANYBODY!!!!
They just put money into Uribe and someone else, so they may have already spent a bunch of the money they saved on Carlos. In the end, I don't think we are going to see a major payroll decrease from last season.

Mohoney
12-20-2004, 01:28 PM
They may yet sign Perez or make a trade for Vasquez.
BOTH! BOTH!

oldcomiskey
12-20-2004, 06:35 PM
the short and long of it is that he wants too much money. im happy with sticking to davis and burke unless a better option becomes available.
what does Frank Stallone have to do with the Sox not winning?

RDubbs1906
12-20-2004, 11:39 PM
I am ashamed of the sox fans that want anything to do with AJ Pierzynski! He is an A$$! I am proud of being a sox fan, and if that means starting a guy with heart like Ben Davis who enjoys being in Chicago that so be it. Aj was talking **** about the sox last year when he was in San Fran. I got too much pride in my team for a jerk like that. I remember listening to him bash the sox on The Rome show on ESPN 1000. I know he would be an upgrade but so would Barry Bonds and at this point SCammy Sosa, and I hope most of you would agree that neither of them are welcome on the Southside.

I dont really see the catching position as our bigges hole. I would be happy with the sox signed a #3 starter. That would be good enough for me at this point. Lets not get too greedy. It will only lead to a major let down. So go get odalis!