PDA

View Full Version : Will Pierzynski sign today??

Gammons Peter
12-20-2004, 09:19 AM
Do we want him? I havent heard anything on him since Friday

Jjav829
12-20-2004, 09:24 AM
Do we want him?
No. No. No. No. No. No. No.

Did I mention, No?

There is absolutely no way I want him on this team. Don't do it, KW!

duke of dorwood
12-20-2004, 09:51 AM
If we dont want him, he's a lock to be here

:KW

I aim to please, but my aim is bad

samram
12-20-2004, 10:05 AM
No. No. No. No. No. No. No.

Did I mention, No?

There is absolutely no way I want him on this team. Don't do it, KW!
I'm getting some mixed signals here. I think you're trying to say no, but I don't want to put words in your mouth (or on your computer screen).

It is pretty bad when a left-handed hitting catcher that produces pretty well can't stick with a team that was a bad weekend away from the playoffs. I can understand the trade from Minnesota since they had Mauer and got a very solid closer, but San Fran isn't really chock full of great offensive players.

fledgedrallycap
12-20-2004, 10:22 AM
You know what, these are grown men who will sometimes get along, and often will not. You pay coaches and managers a lot of money to help clubhouses function, and friction is often not the worse thing in the world. The Oakland A's of the 70's HATED each other, yet found a way to put it together on the field. This guy can be had at a bargain price and is a serious upgrade to what is on our roster - not to mention his lefty stick.

Clembasbal
12-20-2004, 10:25 AM
It is pretty bad when a left-handed hitting catcher that produces pretty well can't stick with a team that was a bad weekend away from the playoffs. I can understand the trade from Minnesota since they had Mauer and got a very solid closer, but San Fran isn't really chock full of great offensive players.
I think it is very simple to understand why he is not wanted. Because he is an ass and a jerk. Nobody likes him, even his own teammates in Minnestoa hated him, and I remember a story about last year coming from San Fan. Something to the extent of, the pitchers not wanting him anymore because he would rather play cards in the clubhouse than look at scouting reports.

samram
12-20-2004, 10:31 AM
I think it is very simple to understand why he is not wanted. Because he is an ass and a jerk. Nobody likes him, even his own teammates in Minnestoa hated him, and I remember a story about last year coming from San Fan. Something to the extent of, the pitchers not wanting him anymore because he would rather play cards in the clubhouse than look at scouting reports.
I agree with you. I was just pointing out that he is the type of player (good left-handed hitting catcher) that teams may make more allowances for than some other players, but he is apparently too big of a distraction to deal with.

Ol' No. 2
12-20-2004, 10:42 AM
I think it is very simple to understand why he is not wanted. Because he is an ass and a jerk. Nobody likes him, even his own teammates in Minnestoa hated him, and I remember a story about last year coming from San Fan. Something to the extent of, the pitchers not wanting him anymore because he would rather play cards in the clubhouse than look at scouting reports.Maybe the fact that he's lousy defensively at a defensive postion might have something to do with it.

fquaye149
12-20-2004, 11:24 AM
Maybe the fact that he's lousy defensively at a defensive postion might have something to do with it.
but don't you understand? if pierzynski were on the sox last year against the twins, AJ would have not only got Torii Hunter out at home instead of being knocked out of commission, he also would have knocked him down, kicked him a couple of times and spit on him. Then we would have won the division.

Foulke29
12-20-2004, 11:27 AM
but don't you understand? if pierzynski were on the sox last year against the twins, AJ would have not only got Torii Hunter out at home instead of being knocked out of commission, he also would have knocked him down, kicked him a couple of times and spit on him. Then we would have won the division.
True - and in addition, would it be so bad having a catcher who used to catch for our #1 division rivals - especially when that team still has most of the pitchers on the team that were then when A.J. was?

NonetheLoaiza
12-20-2004, 11:28 AM
Actually, I think his style would have been to just let Hunter walk across the plate untouched.

Ol' No. 2
12-20-2004, 11:37 AM
but don't you understand? if pierzynski were on the sox last year against the twins, AJ would have not only got Torii Hunter out at home instead of being knocked out of commission, he also would have knocked him down, kicked him a couple of times and spit on him. Then we would have won the division.See what happens when you forget to use teal?

NonetheLoaiza
12-20-2004, 12:03 PM
See what happens when you forget to use teal?
my fault, i read it kind of quick...but still, no AJ...

Baby Fisk
12-20-2004, 12:10 PM
Signing Pierzynski will ruin Christmas. :(:

(break out that Jerry Grinch image)

12-20-2004, 12:17 PM
I have not read one report that we are in even consideration for him so I think we are OK there

EMel9281
12-20-2004, 12:35 PM
Do you guys think, though, that Ozzie will let Pierzynski act like an jerk in the classhouse? Don't you think Ozzie would be the type of guy who would see AJ playing cards in the clubhouse, flip the table he is playing on over, and proceed to tear him a new one? That might be just me, but I don't think that the clubhouse stuff would continue with Ozzie. If Jerry were still in town, I think it would. I think Ozzie would dunk him in a searing-hot vat of oil before he let AJ get away with some of the things that he has done in the past.

kojak
12-20-2004, 12:50 PM
...kinda like how Ozzie straightened out Carlos Lee, right? :tongue:

AJ is subtraction by addition.

...or division by trigonometry or something.

I say take a pass...unless he can learn to play a mean 2B.

SoxxoS
12-20-2004, 12:51 PM
We need an upgrade at catcher. Check. We need a left handed bat. Check. Experience on winning teams, including the Twins. Check.

He is a jag bag. But you weigh the costs with the benefits. Sign him to a deal that allows us to cut him if he gets out of hand. The Twins somehow managed to win 3 division championships with him at catcher, so obviously it wasn't THAT big of a deal.

HomeFish
12-20-2004, 12:52 PM
We need an upgrade at catcher. Check. We need a left handed bat. Check. Experience on winning teams, including the Twins. Check.

He is a jag bag. But you weigh the costs with the benefits. Sign him to a deal that allows us to cut him if he gets out of hand. The Twins somehow managed to win 3 division championships with him at catcher, so obviously it wasn't THAT big of a deal.

Finally some sense in this thread. Thank you.

fquaye149
12-20-2004, 12:53 PM
See what happens when you forget to use teal?
drat...i think the irony was so acid the teal just melted off...that's my story and i'm sticking to it.

kojak
12-20-2004, 12:56 PM

I would suggest that the Twins won 3 division titles DESPITE having AJ as catcher. And quite frankly, we are just not that good to be overcoming all sorts of handicaps, whereas the Twins have it in their blood.

CHISOXFAN13
12-20-2004, 01:04 PM
I would suggest that the Twins won 3 division titles DESPITE having AJ as catcher. And quite frankly, we are just not that good to be overcoming all sorts of handicaps, whereas the Twins have it in their blood.

I'm not exactly an advocate of brining him to Chicago, but to ignore the .300 and .312 averages the man had during the Twins' two postseasons while he was there is a pretty big oevrsight.

He also threw out 30 percent of the runners trying to steal while in Minnesota.

I would say he had a fair share to do with their success.

EMel9281
12-20-2004, 01:18 PM

Couldn't agree more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dolanski
12-20-2004, 01:35 PM
Couldn't agree more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So if the Sox do sign him and he turns out to be a clubhouse cancer and helps this team fall apart down the stretch, I can only assume you are going to be one of the first to demand KW head for signing such a jerk?

How about we concentrate on bigger holes on this team like the 5th starter? 10 wins out of the 5th starter is a lot more important that the offensive upgrade that A.J. would bring.

Wealz
12-20-2004, 01:40 PM
So if the Sox do sign him and he turns out to be a clubhouse cancer and helps this team fall apart down the stretch, I can only assume you are going to be one of the first to demand KW head for signing such a jerk?

How about we concentrate on bigger holes on this team like the 5th starter? 10 wins out of the 5th starter is a lot more important that the offensive upgrade that A.J. would bring.
Ben Davis is terrible and Burke is worse. This team won't see a meaningful stretch run with those guys starting the majority of games at catcher.

EMel9281
12-20-2004, 01:42 PM

How about we concentrate on bigger holes on this team like the 5th starter? 10 wins out of the 5th starter is a lot more important that the offensive upgrade that A.J. would bring.I will guarantee that I will not be complaining about KW to the masses if he signs Pierzynski. I agree with you, as well, about the fifth starter. Now, there I will complain if we "settle" like we did last year. I don't want Grilli as our fifth starter. He's the last resort, and a crappy one at that.

I love Jamie Burke, but I think he should be converted to the ultra-utilityman, like Graffy. Since Graffy's departure, we don't have someone that can play practically every position on the field. And, Burke can and has played 1B, 3B, LF.

As far as Ben Davis is concerned, I'm not sold on him yet. Yes, he woke up a little bit after hitting under .100 in Seattle, but Pierzynski is established. He's played for, and been a major contributor of, playoff teams.

I think Pierzynski would come fairly cheap, especially now.

Why can't we have both? (I hope I used the teal properly there!)

beck72
12-20-2004, 01:45 PM
The Sox have two ex-teammates who can tell them the real story on AJ--Hermanson who played w/ him last yr in SF, and Mike Jackson. If he's not a problem, it's a no-brainer, the sox and he are a good fit. If he's an idiot, then it won't happen.

We'll know soon enough. If Ben Davis is non-tendered today, then we'll have ourselves a new C, prob. AJ.

SoxxoS
12-20-2004, 02:00 PM

You know who the bigger clubhouse cancer was on that team (I would imagine) is that complete and utter disgrace for a baseball player known as Barry "P.O.S." Bonds. They have also had a pretty successful team with Bonds being a complete jackass.

If there is one thing that is overrated, it's this off the field chemistry thing. You need chemistry and to play with passion ON THE FIELD. We had a lot of good guys that were great off the field...but none of us forget CORPSEBALL on the field.

chisoxmike
12-20-2004, 02:06 PM
Do we want him? I havent heard anything on him since FridayPlease god no. I think we can spend money elsewhere. LIKE A STARTING PITCHER!

Dolanski
12-20-2004, 02:17 PM
You know who the bigger clubhouse cancer was on that team (I would imagine) is that complete and utter disgrace for a baseball player known as Barry "P.O.S." Bonds. They have also had a pretty successful team with Bonds being a complete jackass.

If there is one thing that is overrated, it's this off the field chemistry thing. You need chemistry and to play with passion ON THE FIELD. We had a lot of good guys that were great off the field...but none of us forget CORPSEBALL on the field.
OK, it can be said one way or another about AJ concerning his demeanor in the clubhouse. He is or isn't a problem, he will or won't be a cancer. Fine, but can any of you AJ lovers explain why SF would dump him this season for Matheny? The obvious is Matheny's defense, but AJ according to you guys, is solid on D. Offensively there is no question the Pierzynski blows him away, so why dump a solid defensive catcher with great offense for a great defensive catcher with NO offense?

Gammons Peter
12-20-2004, 02:25 PM
Please god no. I think we can spend money elsewhere. LIKE A STARTING PITCHER!
We can't afford a top starting pitcher...Isn't that obvious to you people

fquaye149
12-20-2004, 04:44 PM
i think we need to apply our normal peter gammons rule to this post

MRKARNO
12-20-2004, 04:46 PM
So instead of pissing the money away at Pierzynski, we should spend that money on a mid-tier starter to hold Brandon McCarthy's place for a year.

A.T. Money
12-20-2004, 05:48 PM
I'll take AJ. A good offensive catcher with some clutch hitting abilities.

And that stuff about him being bad with pitchers is total BS.

When he was with Minnesota, all he did was work the pitchers all over the place against us. He knew how to work the pitchers.

Also, I'm sure his loyalties to Minny has dwindled. Most of those guys he came up with are gone now, except for Hunter, Santana, and Rivas.

jordan23ventura
12-20-2004, 06:01 PM
but don't you understand? if pierzynski were on the sox last year against the twins, AJ would have not only got Torii Hunter out at home (http://toolbar.desktoptraffic.net/cgi-bin//ezlclk.fcgi?id=167) instead of being knocked out of commission, he also would have knocked him down, kicked him a couple of times and spit on him. Then we would have won the division.
Good point. I want Pierzynski here almost as bad as I wanted to see Clement sign. The reason is that he is one of those players that everyone calls a pain in the ass, but when he's on your team you're glad to have him. He is one of the hard-nosed 'grinders' that KW likes so much. Go out and get him.

One of the main criticisms about the Sox for the last couple of years is that they have always seemed to lay down and take it when they should ahve stood up and fought. The last time we saw this team really get fired up was a brawl in 2000 - and they won the division that year. I really the direction this team is taking after the Pods/Lee trade. Let's keep it up.

He's not Raul Mondesi, he's not Milton Bradley. He was said to be disinterested while playing for the Giants, but can you blame the guy? He had to work with Bonds!

Pick this guy up. This team needs some fire.

jordan23ventura
12-20-2004, 06:13 PM
So instead of pissing the money away at Pierzynski, we should spend that money on a mid-tier starter to hold Brandon McCarthy's place for a year.
Pissing the money away?

The guy is exactly the type of player the Sox need right now. Too long has this team laid down for the competition. In case you weren't aware, Maggs and Lee are gone. It's not going to be the same type of station-to-station all or nothing offense it has been in the years past. The way the '05 Sox are going to have to win is by good pitching, defense, moving runners along, not 'small ball' but 'smart ball.' Pods helps us on the basepaths and in the outfield, and Pierzynski would help us by getting into the heads of opposing hitters and helping to fire up the team.

And as far as another starter, yeah we do need one. But, the last time I checked the only viable No. 3 starter on the market was Odalis Perez, who I would think can be had for $21mil/3 years, which would even us up in terms of salary after the Lee trade. The $3-4mil per year that AJ is going to command would have to be added to the payroll, and if JR won't do that then you can forget about trying to win the WS, because we won't even win the division.

Foulke You
12-20-2004, 06:47 PM
Good point. I want Pierzynski here almost as bad as I wanted to see Clement sign. The reason is that he is one of those players that everyone calls a pain in the ass, but when he's on your team you're glad to have him. He is one of the hard-nosed 'grinders' that KW likes so much. Go out and get him.

One of the main criticisms about the Sox for the last couple of years is that they have always seemed to lay down and take it when they should ahve stood up and fought. The last time we saw this team really get fired up was a brawl in 2000 - and they won the division that year. I really the direction this team is taking after the Pods/Lee trade. Let's keep it up.

He's not Raul Mondesi, he's not Milton Bradley. He was said to be disinterested while playing for the Giants, but can you blame the guy? He had to work with Bonds!

Pick this guy up. This team needs some fire.
Ok, you've sold me. I won't be upset if we get AJ but I just don't want it to prevent/derail any attempts at another starter which is really the team's number 1 priority. However, I'm for any move at this point that improves the White Sox and it is certainly a hard sell to say that Davis and Burke are going to be better than the catcher who help stick it to the Sox by being a major pain in the ass for 3 straight years. It might be nice to have someone be the pain in the ass FOR us rather than against us. You'd have to think AJ would really be up for sticking it to the Twins for letting him go.

Jurr
12-20-2004, 07:04 PM
I'm getting some mixed signals here. I think you're trying to say no, but I don't want to put words in your mouth (or on your computer screen).

It is pretty bad when a left-handed hitting catcher that produces pretty well can't stick with a team that was a bad weekend away from the playoffs. I can understand the trade from Minnesota since they had Mauer and got a very solid closer, but San Fran isn't really chock full of great offensive players.The thing that is intriguing about the trade is that Minnesota had NO IDEA they were getting a closer. He blossomed into that role in S.T..... They did the AJP thing because of the payroll.

fquaye149
12-20-2004, 07:37 PM

. actually bonds had nothing but nice things to say about aj at teh beginning of the year

maybe his problem is he's too much like bonds w/o the numbers

flo-B-flo
12-20-2004, 09:03 PM
I'll take AJ. A good offensive catcher with some clutch hitting abilities.

And that stuff about him being bad with pitchers is total BS.

When he was with Minnesota, all he did was work the pitchers all over the place against us. He knew how to work the pitchers.

Also, I'm sure his loyalties to Minny has dwindled. Most of those guys he came up with are gone now, except for Hunter, Santana, and Rivas. Sign AJ. Clutch, clutch hitter. He KILLED us. Frequently the clubhouse stuff is BS too.

Tragg
12-20-2004, 09:15 PM
Thank You!!

Tragg
12-20-2004, 09:19 PM
Sign AJ. Clutch, clutch hitter. He KILLED us.
Some of the most mediocre, common, even bad ballplayers have killed us - take your pick of any Tiger pitcher making his first career start; or the great Joe Randa.

That can't be our standard.