PDA

View Full Version : Derek Jeter

doublem23
10-15-2001, 11:30 PM
Holy ****

How did he make that grab?

Reminds me of the grab Valentin made in Cleveland in September 2000 at the start of a critical series w/ the Toons.

Leaders make plays like that. Anyone think Clayton would have done that (Hell, would Clayton have reached that ball?)

danman31
10-15-2001, 11:36 PM
Clayton wouldn't have thought to run for it.

:hitless
"I'm here for my bat."

Bmr31
10-16-2001, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
Holy ****

How did he make that grab?

Reminds me of the grab Valentin made in Cleveland in September 2000 at the start of a critical series w/ the Toons.

Leaders make plays like that. Anyone think Clayton would have done that (Hell, would Clayton have reached that ball?)

Derek Jeter is the best SS in the game today, and dont hand me stats, cuz i dont really give a ****.... :)

doublem23
10-16-2001, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by Bmr31

Derek Jeter is the best SS in the game today, and dont hand me stats, cuz i dont really give a ****.... :)

Stats? Stats? We don't need no stinkin' stats!

Iwritecode
10-16-2001, 10:48 AM
I saw that play last night and didn't think they were going to call it an out. What exactly is the rule for catching a ball that is going out of play? Does the player have to have his feet on the ground or at least a portion of his body "in play"? Can he just jump over the wall and make the catch? Anybody know?

Paulwny
10-16-2001, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
I saw that play last night and didn't think they were going to call it an out. What exactly is the rule for catching a ball that is going out of play? Does the player have to have his feet on the ground or at least a portion of his body "in play"? Can he just jump over the wall and make the catch? Anybody know?

If a player catches a ball while a portion of his body is in the field it's an out.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-16-2001, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Paulwny
If a player catches a ball while a portion of his body is in the field it's an out.

Exactly. It's not like the NFL where his feet need to be inbounds or anything like that. He simply needs to catch the ball while still on the field of play which includes foul territory.

If he jumps into the seats and catches it there, the ball is dead. If an outfielder runs through the outfield wall (like Rodney McCray did several years ago), and manages to catch the ball on the other side, it is still a homerun. The outfielder would need to keep at least his toe on the playing field.

Didn't Daryl Boston catch a pop foul in mid-stride, landing in the second row of seats at Old Comiskey? That was an out, too.

Iwritecode
10-16-2001, 12:24 PM
What about that kamakazi dude in Major League 2? He jumped up and stood on top of the outfield wall when he made the catch. Maybe his toes were hanging over?

:)