PDA

View Full Version : Chet Lemon Interview

TornLabrum
12-19-2004, 11:36 PM
I just finished reading Lip's interview with Chet Lemon. Great stuff, particularly about his recovery from a serious blood disease. Great job, Lip!

California Sox
12-19-2004, 11:58 PM
Yeah, awesome job. Chester was my favorite player when I was little and I actually got a chance to meet him. It's terrific to see that he's doing so well.

FarWestChicago
12-20-2004, 12:09 AM
Very well done, Lip! :thumbsup:

fuzzy_patters
12-20-2004, 01:03 AM
I just finished reading Lip's interview with Chet Lemon. Great stuff, particularly about his recovery from a serious blood disease. Great job, Lip!
That was a great article as always, Lip. I always find it interesting to hear stories from players about what it was like to be traded and return to play their old team. Your interviews never fail to give us fresh insight as to what it is like to be a professional ballplayer.

Realist
12-20-2004, 08:55 AM
Chet's No Lemon! 1977 sunk the hook in me. I've been doomed to be a Sox fan for life ever since (I'm not sure if this should be in teal or not. Am I blessed or doomed?)

PaulDrake
12-20-2004, 09:34 AM
FWIW Lip I think this is your best interview yet.

ozzman
12-20-2004, 09:46 AM
awesome interview lip. i knew who chet lemon was, but never knew the amazing journey and triumph over his blood disease. very inspirational. sounds like a guy that would be great to have in the organization! go get him kenny!

ode to veeck
12-20-2004, 09:47 AM
I'll never forget Chet climbing the corners of the Comiskey center field monster to rob well hit balls at 440 feet ... or sliding into first bast on a close play

ode to veeck
12-20-2004, 10:43 AM
Chet: "Detroit had great fans especially in 1984 but even they couldn’t compare to the fans from 1977."

Great quote, glad to hear Chet's health is doing better as well.

southpaw40
12-20-2004, 11:14 AM
Don't know if it's been discussed before (if so, I didn't see it) , but I'd be interested to hear from the Sox players of that era about how they felt about wearing those uniforms, and if players from other teams gave them grief about them! :D:

ode to veeck
12-20-2004, 11:27 AM
Does anyone have a copy of the "South Side Hit Men" publicity photo Chet talks about in the article where a bunch of them got all duded up in front of a Rolls?

Dan H
12-20-2004, 12:40 PM
Mark, this was truly your best interview yet. Lemon comes across as a real interesting guy. I also never knew of those contract troubles. A great piece of history.

tebman
12-20-2004, 01:14 PM
I just finished reading Lip's interview with Chet Lemon. Great stuff, particularly about his recovery from a serious blood disease. Great job, Lip!Hear, hear! Chet is an old favorite of mine too. Though I was sorry he wasn't with the Sox those years, I was really happy that he got to play on the '84 Tiger team that won it all. A solid ballplayer and the kind of guy KW means when he describes "grinders."

Thanks, Lip!

- tebman

Lip Man 1
12-20-2004, 02:50 PM
Brian a month or so ago mentioned about why if Roland was a good G.M., did he ever trade Chet.

I couldn't give him the answer at the time but hopefully he'll understand the situation that Roland was put into. It seemed to be the 'fault' of a lot of folks and some circumstances that were not under anyone's control.

I'm glad you all enjoyed the story. It makes the time and effort worthwhile and yes Chet does seem to be a very grounded, down to earth type of guy. It was a pleasure having the chance to speak with him.

Now on to the next interview!!!!!

Lip

rwcescato
12-21-2004, 12:34 AM
Brian a month or so ago mentioned about why if Roland was a good G.M., did he ever trade Chet.

I couldn't give him the answer at the time but hopefully he'll understand the situation that Roland was put into. It seemed to be the 'fault' of a lot of folks and some circumstances that were not under anyone's control.

I'm glad you all enjoyed the story. It makes the time and effort worthwhile and yes Chet does seem to be a very grounded, down to earth type of guy. It was a pleasure having the chance to speak with him.

Now on to the next interview!!!!!

Lip
Just for the record Mark,
It was a great interview. A lot of memories of my childhood took place in the 70's. Of course 1977 was the hilight of being a Sox fan. Keep up the good work. And Yes I am the same Rcescato from the old AOL message board days
from a decade ago.
Rich:supernana:

BainesHOF
12-21-2004, 05:03 AM
Excellent interview!

Chet was my favorite player as a kid. Even though I was a pitcher and third baseman, I'd go out to center field during batting practice to shag fly balls and catch 'em one-handed just like Chet.

I always appreciated Chet's hustle. It's good to know that he seems to be such a good guy. I had no idea he was ever so sick. It's great to hear he's doing better and enjoying life again.

I'd love to see Chet return to the organization. It sounds like he has a lot to offer. Make him the outfield coach. Or give him a PR job.

voodoochile
12-21-2004, 07:51 AM
I agree with all the others. The detail and effort that went into that interview made it a joy to read.

Well done, Mark.

Baby Fisk
12-21-2004, 11:01 AM
Awesome interview. I love the fact that Chet's son wants to play for the Sox. :nod:

DumpJerry
12-21-2004, 05:02 PM
Great interview! One of my favorite memories of Chet took place while he was with the Tigers, but it came at the extreme expense of the Twins.

I was at a Twins/Tigers' game in July or August, 1984 at the Homerdome. Score was tied in the 10th. Tigers were holding onto a thin lead in their division, the Angels lost earlier in the evening, so it the Twins won, they would be tied for first. Kirk Gibson was on First with one out, Lemon at bat. Lemon hit a long single to Left. Gibson, being a guy who makes Konerko look like Carl Lewis, makes it to Third easily. For some strange reason, the Third Base Coach waved Gibson Home despite the fact that the Leftfielder had the ball.

Tim Engle (Twins' Catcher) had the ball when Gibson was halfway home, was blocking the Plate about 10 feet in front of the plate. Collision. No call from Vic Voltaggio (spelling. The Ump.). Gibson kept going Home. Gibson missed the plate. Engle, aware of the non-call, then tagged Gibson with the ball in his bare right hand on the arm. No call from the Ump. Gibson then stepped on Home. Safe!:o: Ron Davis (Twins' pitcher) came flying off the Mound. Ejected! Twins' Manager flies out of the dugout. 20 minutes of yelling at the ump with nose one inch from the Ump's. No ejection. The other three umps stand at their bases, refusing to rescue their (blind? drunk?) colleague. The replay is shown over and over on the scoreboard. Twin fans are going crazy.

Chet wound up on Second with one out instead of first with a runner on third (or first with two outs) and no runs in. Next batter got Chet in to score. Bottom of 10th: Kirby Puckett hits one out. Twins shoulda won. Oh well.

What happened to our observant ump? His crew went to the World Series that year without him.

Soxfest
12-21-2004, 06:55 PM
I loved #44 Chet Lemon still mad they dumped him to bring in worthless Ron Leflore.:angry:

Lip Man 1
12-21-2004, 07:11 PM
Soxfest:

Ummmm... Lemon was traded for Steve Kemp. LeFlore was signed as a free agent before the 1981 season. Kemp in his only year with the Sox had 98 RBI's in 1982.

Lip

SOXBOY
12-22-2004, 03:46 PM
Chet is my favorite player of all time.

Soxfest
12-22-2004, 07:12 PM
You are correct i just meant Leflore was the beginning of the end for Chet in Chicago.

Soxfest:

Ummmm... Lemon was traded for Steve Kemp. LeFlore was signed as a free agent before the 1981 season. Kemp in his only year with the Sox had 98 RBI's in 1982.

Lip