PDA

View Full Version : Perez Chances

NardiWasHere
12-19-2004, 10:33 PM
So what are the chances that we end up signing Perez? Is KW in panic-mode since his plan A is now in beantown? Realistically (no severe pessimism and/or optimism), how are we looking in the Odalis sweepstakes? Who are we competing against? If we offered the same contract we offered to Honest Abe, would Perez sign here?

lowesox
12-19-2004, 10:50 PM
According to rumors on espn.com and thesportingnews.com, it seems more likely that we'll trade for Vazquel once the blockbuster trade is finalized.

MRKARNO
12-19-2004, 10:51 PM
Well we have to find out if Perez accepts arbitration first and there are rumors that he might. If he doesnt then I think we have a good chance of signing him

OG4LIFE
12-19-2004, 11:14 PM
i thought the dodgers didnt offer arbitration... and thats why they can't resign him...

Soxzilla
12-19-2004, 11:15 PM
Well we have to find out if Perez accepts arbitration first and there are rumors that he might. If he doesnt then I think we have a good chance of signing him
What is arbitration looking like for him? I assume the Dodgers are offering around 6 million? no?

MRKARNO
12-19-2004, 11:18 PM
i thought the dodgers didnt offer arbitration... and thats why they can't resign him...
I had thought that too, but Dodger Thoughts[/b] (http://www.all-baseball.com/dodgerthoughts/[b]) says otherwise and I trust that blog author.

MRKARNO
12-19-2004, 11:19 PM
What is arbitration looking like for him? I assume the Dodgers are offering around 6 million? no?
Numbers arent discussed about arb unless the player actually enters arbitration, which Odalis might not opt to do.

Tragg
12-20-2004, 12:06 AM
According to rumors on espn.com and thesportingnews.com, it seems more likely that we'll trade for Vazquel once the blockbuster trade is finalized.
Boy I hope not; the idea of getting what we got from Mil was that there was a pitcher to be signed at the end of the deal

Besides, who do we have to trade? Everett if some fool team is dumb enough to take him I guess.

Not the young outfielders, please: We're going to need these young outfielders in a year or 2 - we don't know now which are keepers so let's keep them all until we know, especially if we can achieve the same goal without trading them, a starting pitcher, by offering a competitive contract (which we didn't with clement).

Rocklive99
12-20-2004, 12:29 AM
We already resigned Timo

California Sox
12-20-2004, 02:54 AM
Besides, who do we have to trade? Everett if some fool team is dumb enough to take him I guess.
I predict Everett will start more than 90 games this season for the Sox. Between Frank's foot, suspect production from Podsednik, and our all RH lineup Everett's lefty power is going to be very enticing if he's in decent shape.

Soxzilla
12-20-2004, 03:09 AM
Just to lament on KARNOs story, the Dodgers did in fact offer arbitration to Odalis, per ESPN.

hi8is
12-20-2004, 04:16 AM
frankly, i think its more likly that all the hippies from the 1960's rise from the dead on feb. 8th when the mars volta release their new cd, francis the mute. either that or we will all be taken over by timothy leary's spirit and the whole world will finaly be at peace..... in other words, we arent getting perez

i know, its sad... here here little boys and girl.... there there.... it will be ok.... cry... its good to cry.... i know grilli sucks donky balls... i'll cry with you

thats it, let it out.

Mohoney
12-20-2004, 09:38 AM
But the real question is: does Steinbrenner's money follow Vazquez here, or does it stay in LA??

If we do procure the cash, maybe Perez can come here as well?

If the payroll is indeed raised to the $75 million range, and Garland is included in the deal, we HAVE to sign Perez.

The Twins finished 1st in the AL in team ERA, while we finished 13th. We have to do everything possible to close that gap.

I think that we now have a bullpen that looks like it will hold up it's end in this effort. Adding Vazquez and Perez while subtracting Garland and the 5th starter carousel (which would be finally manned by an able body in Contreras) would, in my opinion, be the best course of action we could take to get the rotation in shape to do the same.

If both pitchers are acquired, I feel really good about our chances to finish in the top 5 in staff ERA and win this division. If we only get one, I think we're going to finish somewhere between 8th and 10th, and that won't be enough to win this division.

Jjav829
12-20-2004, 09:49 AM
Bowden still would love to sign free-agent left-hander Odalis Perez, who yesterday rejected an arbitration offer from the Los Angeles Dodgers, but until baseball gives him the green light to resume full operations, the GM is hamstrung.

Baseball sources said Perez, who went 7-6 with a 3.25 ERA in 31 starts last year, would prefer to sign with Washington and even would be willing to take less money to come here. But with the ballpark debate dragging on, Perez may have no choice but to sign with another team. The Seattle Mariners are believed to have offered him a better deal than the Nationals' proposed, three-year, $18 million contract.It's not looking good for our chances of signing Perez.

Link (http://www.washtimes.com/sports/20041220-010521-2957r.htm)

Win1ForMe
12-20-2004, 10:25 AM
I think that Seattle offer might have been on the table BEFORE the M's got Beltre and Sexson. From the Seattle Post Intelligencer:

The other player drawing trade interest is right-hander Gil Meche, but he's not available, particularly since the offensive spending means no front-line pitching help is coming. The Mariners will either add a low-cost starter, trade for one or move salary to get another arm in the $7 million to $9 million range.http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/baseball/204329_domino18.html