PDA

View Full Version : Aubrey Huff?

OzzieBall2004
12-19-2004, 08:40 PM
I dont know if this has already been thrown out there, and I know we're trying to cut down rumors and hypotheticals, but I think landing this guy would be awesome. He plays first or third (usually DH) and would really help make up for our lost power. ESPN reports that Tampa is looking to trade him, but makes no mention of potential suitors or what it would take. He must be bad defensively, so I know thats a downside, and he's probably in line for a huge pay raise.

But what about trading Crede and Everett for him? Thoughts?

cornball
12-19-2004, 09:04 PM
He is a perfect fit for this team. A great bat...lefthanded bat to boot. I would think if he was obtained it would have to be for good cheap pitching.

If he was to be had, the loss of PK would not be so hard to take in the lineup.

eastchicagosoxfan
12-19-2004, 09:11 PM
I dont know if this has already been thrown out there, and I know we're trying to cut down rumors and hypotheticals, but I think landing this guy would be awesome. He plays first or third (usually DH) and would really help make up for our lost power. ESPN reports that Tampa is looking to trade him, but makes no mention of potential suitors or what it would take. He must be bad defensively, so I know thats a downside, and he's probably in line for a huge pay raise.

But what about trading Crede and Everett for him? Thoughts?In theory, if all are healthy, we have three guys ( Paulie, Big Hurt, And Gload ) that can play first, and only first. Huff's fielding average was lower than Crede's. I don't think Everett is tradeable, unless it's a mid-season deal to a contender, which also means that he's playing well, and in that case, the Sox are probably contending.

OzzieBall2004
12-19-2004, 09:32 PM
In theory, if all are healthy, we have three guys ( Paulie, Big Hurt, And Gload ) that can play first, and only first. Huff's fielding average was lower than Crede's. I don't think Everett is tradeable, unless it's a mid-season deal to a contender, which also means that he's playing well, and in that case, the Sox are probably contending.

.965 isnt a bad fielding percentage. He wouldn't be a huge liability at 3B, and his offensive numbers would more than offset whatever he lacks in defense.

I think Everett has trade value, albeit low, and it would be a nice salary dump in my mind because we're stocked in the outfield (Pod, Dye, A Row....Timo, Borchard). I think he's making like 4-5 million too. Then we could possibly turn around and sign Huff to an extension with that money and effectively end a position that has been troublesome and unproductive for far too long now.
The bigger issue is whether the powers that be think we can hold off and wait for Fields to develop and be MLB ready but i'd imagine he's still 2-3 years away, regardless of what whitesox.com has to say.

I'll be the first to admit that 2b/ss and finding a 5th starter are bigger issues, but I still think it's something to consider, and a helluva good solution.

compy75
12-19-2004, 10:17 PM
Here's a question to really how much this board overvalues Konerko. Would you trade him for Aubrey Huff based on the Sox today??

I think based on age, production, the left handed stick, I would jump at the deal in a heartbeat.

Jabroni
12-20-2004, 12:21 AM
Here's a question to really how much this board overvalues Konerko. Would you trade him for Aubrey Huff based on the Sox today??

I think based on age, production, the left handed stick, I would jump at the deal in a heartbeat.Yes, no questions asked.

jabrch
12-20-2004, 01:24 AM
But what about trading Crede and Everett for him? Thoughts?

Tampa wouldn't do this...How does it help them?

Chisox003
12-20-2004, 07:59 PM
Has Huff even been mentioned as coming to the Sox? There is no way the D-rays would trade this guy....He's their franchise player

MRKARNO
12-20-2004, 08:01 PM
Has Huff even been mentioned as coming to the Sox? There is no way the D-rays would trade this guy....He's their franchise player
Huff has not been mentioned as coming to the Sox, but there are reports that the DRays want to trade them. Then again, I think the source of those reports is:

:boston

OEO Magglio
12-20-2004, 08:05 PM

I think based on age, production, the left handed stick, I would jump at the deal in a heartbeat.
In a heartbeat.

Dolanski
12-20-2004, 08:07 PM
Wow, another worthless trade idea. How about deals that people might actually bite on rather than trades where we get everything and they get our leftovers? Do you really think Tampa would give up a young player with so much upside and potential for a fading Joe Crede and a stick a fork in him Carl Everett? PLease let me know what you are smoking...

OzzieBall2004
12-21-2004, 12:31 AM
Wow, another worthless trade idea. How about deals that people might actually bite on rather than trades where we get everything and they get our leftovers? Do you really think Tampa would give up a young player with so much upside and potential for a fading Joe Crede and a stick a fork in him Carl Everett? PLease let me know what you are smoking...

Easy killer, I was just throwing it out there...

Per ESPN ( granted, the same source that says we still want Chacon and Urbina even though we solidified our bullpen already)

Dec. 19 - The Devil Rays' only major-league acquisition so far has been catcher Kevin Cash, and they're looking for ways to trade their best hitter Aubrey Huff, the Toronto Star reports.

Huff hit .297 with 29 home runs and 104 RBI last season. He made $2.66 million.

And I started with the disclaimer that it was a hypothetical, and albeit a bad one. In hindsight, it would probably take a package with a stud prospect like Anderson or Sweeney. What if we traded Fields and a lesser prospect and locked Huff up?