PDA

View Full Version : RJ trade now involves 10 players, White Sox too?

MHOUSE
12-19-2004, 07:56 PM
Per ESPN.com (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1949128)

LA gets:
SP Vasquez (NY)
RP Koplove (AZ)
C Navarro (NY)
3B Duncan (NY)

AZ gets: (all from LA)
RF Green
P Penny
P Brazoban
P Weeden

NY gets:
P Randy Johnson (AZ)
P Kaz Ishii (LA)

There is a quote in the article about Vasquez being shipped to the White Sox after the big trade goes down:

" Plus, there might be a spinoff to the deal. There's speculation the Dodgers might get Vazquez from the Yankees and then trade the pitcher to the Chicago White Sox (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/clubhouse?team=cha)."

manuelsucks
12-19-2004, 08:06 PM
I don't know if I really buy all this talk about the trade. If you ask me, I just don't think it's going to happen. I really think ESPN is blowing smoke. It's hard to trust someone who can't even spit out one coherent sentence.

:boston

"My sooouu.....sources tell me the New Yor.....York Yankees are interested i...i...in Rand....Randy Johnson."

MRKARNO
12-19-2004, 08:06 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=43033

This thread discusses this already

lowesox
12-19-2004, 08:08 PM
I saw this on thesportingnews.com too. I hope if we make a move for Vazquez we also go for Navarro in the trade.

batmanZoSo
12-19-2004, 08:08 PM

LA gets:
SP Vasquez (NY)
RP Koplove (AZ)
C Navarro (NY)
3B Duncan (NY)

RF Green
P Penny
P Brazoban
P Weeden

NY gets:
P Randy Johnson (AZ)
P Kaz Ishii (LA)

There is a quote in the article about Vasquez being shipped to the White Sox after the big trade goes down:

" Plus, there might be a spinoff to the deal. There's speculation the Dodgers might get Vazquez from the Yankees and then trade the pitcher to the Chicago White Sox (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/clubhouse?team=cha)."
We all pretty much knew this one. Every New York insider heard something and every Chicagoan with at least one friend and a cell phone knows of something big that's "about to go down." No offense intended to you, but I've about had my fill of rumors for one life time.

Except Fleetwood Mac's classic album, Rumours (http://classicrock.about.com/library/reviews/blfmac.htm), of course. That'll never get old!:bandance:

But seriously, can't the season just start already??????

the_valenstache
12-19-2004, 09:08 PM
I also heard that the Rangers were looking to trade A-rod, possibly to the Red Sox. I'll keep you posted...

soltrain21
12-19-2004, 10:01 PM
I don't know if I really buy all this talk about the trade. If you ask me, I just don't think it's going to happen. I really think ESPN is blowing smoke. It's hard to trust someone who can't even spit out one coherent sentence.

:boston

"My sooouu.....sources tell me the New Yor.....York Yankees are interested i...i...in Rand....Randy Johnson."

I can understand making fun of Gammons for his lack of knowledge it seems. But what you just did is pretty tasteless.

Jabroni
12-20-2004, 12:43 AM
White Sox | Vazquez Coming? - from www.KFFL.com (http://www.kffl.com/)
Sun, 19 Dec 2004 17:33:15 -0800

Updating a continuing story, Ben Walker, of the Associated Press, reports there is speculation the Los Angeles Dodgers might trade SP Javier Vazquez to the Chicago White Sox if a potential 10-player blockbuster deal between the Arizona Diamondbacks, Dodgers and New York Yankees is approved. Vazquez is currently a member of the Yankees.:o:

Anyone think there's a way we trade for Vazquez without giving up Konerko or Garland?

samram
12-20-2004, 08:51 AM
:o:

Anyone think there's a way we trade for Vazquez without giving up Konerko or Garland?
Maybe if they included Rowand with others. If Vasquez went to the Sox, I think either Konerko or Rowand would have to be part of the trade.

Jjav829
12-20-2004, 09:27 AM
:o:

This trade is pissing me off. I want something definitive and fast. Unfortunately we lost out on RJ. But this speculation on Vazquez is pissing me off because at this point I don't know if all the speculation is just coming from that NY Daily News article. It seems like KW didn't deny that we could be part of the trade, just that Konerko won't be involved. I'd like to know soon.

Kogs35
12-20-2004, 10:27 AM
This trade is pissing me off. I want something definitive and fast. Unfortunately we lost out on RJ. But this speculation on Vazquez is pissing me off because at this point I don't know if all the speculation is just coming from that NY Daily News article. It seems like KW didn't deny that we could be part of the trade, just that Konerko won't be involved. I'd like to know soon.
we can all blame newsday (which is owned by the cubune) for all these rumors and every one's fav beat writer jon hyman (spl?). he started all of this.

samram
12-20-2004, 10:33 AM
Well, it's going to take a while because not only does Penny have to pass a physical, but Green and Johnson need to get contract extensions negotiated with AZ and NY, respectively.

Jjav829
12-20-2004, 10:36 AM
Well, it's going to take a while because not only does Penny have to pass a physical, but Green and Johnson need to get contract extensions negotiated with AZ and NY, respectively.Yeah, but the 72 hour window is expected to start today or tomorrow. The RJ extension shouldn't take long. The biggest hold-up is going to be the Dodgers as they try to get Drew and Lowe signed.

samram
12-20-2004, 10:53 AM
Yeah, but the 72 hour window is expected to start today or tomorrow. The RJ extension shouldn't take long. The biggest hold-up is going to be the Dodgers as they try to get Drew and Lowe signed.
Ok, but Drew will still take a while because you know who is his agent. BTW, I like the Dodgers a lot, but this DePodesta is killing me (and most Dodger fans out on the coast). And yes, I understand ownership wants to cut payroll, but that team is not better now than it was two months ago.

Kogs35
12-20-2004, 11:16 AM
Ok, but Drew will still take a while because you know who is his agent. BTW, I like the Dodgers a lot, but this DePodesta is killing me (and most Dodger fans out on the coast). And yes, I understand ownership wants to cut payroll, but that team is not better now than it was two months ago.
IIRC mcourt had to get a "loan" from mlb to buy the dodgers.

MHOUSE
12-20-2004, 01:47 PM
BTW, I like the Dodgers a lot, but this DePodesta is killing me (and most Dodger fans out on the coast). And yes, I understand ownership wants to cut payroll, but that team is not better now than it was two months ago. The core of that team the past few years was always pitching and now it seems like that is being dealt away to save money and improve the offense. Gagne is the only member of that stellar bullpen (Mota, Martin, Shuey are gone) left as the new guys (Carrara, Brazoban, Sanchez, Dreifort) are generally unproven. If Iishi and Penny are dealt, then Weaver is really the only starter they have left on the roster with Lima gone as well.

samram
12-20-2004, 01:59 PM
The core of that team the past few years was always pitching and now it seems like that is being dealt away to save money and improve the offense. Gagne is the only member of that stellar bullpen (Mota, Martin, Shuey are gone) left as the new guys (Carrara, Brazoban, Sanchez, Dreifort) are generally unproven. If Iishi and Penny are dealt, then Weaver is really the only starter they have left on the roster with Lima gone as well.
Brazoban will be gone in the trade too and Dreifort will spend at least 50 games on the DL. They did resign Alvarez, but who knows what they'll get from him, and Nomo is either done or very iffy. I guess they want Derek Lowe, who could be good in that park, but you're right in saying the pitching is going to be very unproven outside of Gagne and Weaver, who has proven he is slightly better than average.

Offensively, Kent is an ok addition, but his production will be down at Chavez Ravine, and Drew has had one full season since 2000, and they will probably commit around $40 million to him. They're going to have Jose Valentin at third, and he won't hit as many homers out there and his average won't increase going to the NL. Choi is a question mark too.

Ol' No. 2
12-20-2004, 02:08 PM
The core of that team the past few years was always pitching and now it seems like that is being dealt away to save money and improve the offense. Gagne is the only member of that stellar bullpen (Mota, Martin, Shuey are gone) left as the new guys (Carrara, Brazoban, Sanchez, Dreifort) are generally unproven. If Iishi and Penny are dealt, then Weaver is really the only starter they have left on the roster with Lima gone as well.DePodesta is remaking the team from the one Evans left him. That usually means you have to get worse first before you can start getting better. I share the opinion expressed by several here that DePodesta was the real brains behind the "Oakland miracle". But this time he has real money to spend unlike in Oakland. The Dodgers will be a force to be reckoned with, but maybe not this year.

samram
12-20-2004, 02:15 PM
DePodesta is remaking the team from the one Evans left him. That usually means you have to get worse first before you can start getting better. I share the opinion expressed by several here that DePodesta was the real brains behind the "Oakland miracle". But this time he has real money to spend unlike in Oakland. The Dodgers will be a force to be reckoned with, but maybe not this year.
Yeah, but imagine the outcry if Sox management took a playoff team and basically changed its entire dynamic and told the fans the team would be better in the future. Dodger fans are having a similar reaction.

Ol' No. 2
12-20-2004, 02:22 PM
Yeah, but imagine the outcry if Sox management took a playoff team and basically changed its entire dynamic and told the fans the team would be better in the future. Dodger fans are having a similar reaction.And a lot of Sox fans were PO'd that they let Jose Valentin go. I suspect the knowledgable ones understand that DePodesta had to unload some of their big, unproductive contracts and rebuild the team.

mcfish
12-20-2004, 02:54 PM

LA gets:
SP Vasquez (NY)
RP Koplove (AZ)
C Navarro (NY)
3B Duncan (NY)

RF Green
P Penny
P Brazoban
P Weeden

NY gets:
P Randy Johnson (AZ)
P Kaz Ishii (LA)

" Plus, there might be a spinoff to the deal. There's speculation the Dodgers might get Vazquez from the Yankees and then trade the pitcher to the Chicago White Sox (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/clubhouse?team=cha)."Is it just me, or is LA getting beaten with a rubber hose in this deal? Green, Penny, Ishii, Brazoban, and Weeden for Vazquez, a rookie catcher Navarro, a decent RP Koplove, and Duncan whose name isn't even in ESPN's player database if it's spelled correctly above. A big name RF, 2 starting pitchers, a good RP, and a minor leaguer for a starter, a rookie C, a lesser RP, and a minor leaguer?

Jabroni
12-20-2004, 02:55 PM
Is it just me, or is LA getting beaten with a rubber hose in this deal? Green, Penny, Ishii, Brazoban, and Weeden for Vazquez, a rookie catcher Navarro, a decent RP Koplove, and Duncan whose name isn't even in ESPN's player database if it's spelled right above. A big name RF, 2 starting pitchers, a good RP, and a minor leaguer for a starter, a rookie C, a lesser RP, and a minor leaguer?Salary dump.

mcfish
12-20-2004, 02:58 PM
Salary dump.Didn't they just trade for Penny though? Another crappy trade too, giving up too much to get him, if I recall correctly. And doesn't Vazquez have a huge contract?

Jabroni
12-20-2004, 03:00 PM
Didn't they just trade for Penny though? Another crappy trade too, giving up too much to get him, if I recall correctly. And doesn't Vazquez have a huge contract?Yes, Vazquez does have a huge contract (3-years, $34.5 million) but the rumor is that they will trade him to us.

mcfish
12-20-2004, 03:02 PM
Yes, Vazquez does have a huge contract (3-years, $34.5 million) but the rumor is that they will trade him to us.Well hopefully we can join in on the fleecing the crap out of LA party instead of being the team that makes the trade worthwhile for them.

Ol' No. 2
12-20-2004, 03:05 PM
Yes, Vazquez does have a huge contract (3-years, $34.5 million) but the rumor is that they will trade him to us.I'm sure the Yanks are paying a good portion of that contract, and I'd assume that money would go with him.

Jabroni
12-20-2004, 03:15 PM
I'm sure the Yanks are paying a good portion of that contract, and I'd assume that money would go with him.I would assume so as well. No way do I see JR letting KW take on that kind of contract.

Ol' No. 2
12-20-2004, 03:22 PM
I would assume so as well. No way do I see JR letting KW take on that kind of contract.He's due $10.5M in 2005. If we suppose they trade Garland ($3.4M) for him, that's only a net $8M increase. But I agree, I don't see JR doing that.

Generally, MLB does not allow teams to buy major league contracts or to include cash in a trade in excess of the difference between a player's salary and the MLB minimum. It's not a written rule that I know of, but they just won't approve it. Does anyone know of any case where a player has been obtained with money to pay his contract, and was subsequently traded WITHOUT including that money? I wonder if the league would allow it, since it would, in effect, subvert the above limitations.