PDA

View Full Version : any new cell pics?

soxwon
12-19-2004, 03:44 PM
has anyone taken any cell pics, of the fundamentals area?
id like to see how far they have gotten!!!

chisoxmike
12-19-2004, 03:59 PM
On Wednesday I walked by the park to check it out, nothing is noticable. I heard them working inside, but you can't see the FUNdemental area being worked on.

duke of dorwood
12-19-2004, 04:49 PM
It is not visible from the Metra either

oeo
12-19-2004, 05:15 PM
I can't wait to see what it looks like when it's all finished.

Man, I love that place.

Hangar18
12-20-2004, 10:37 AM
I can't wait to see what it looks like when it's all finished.

Man, I love that place.
I saw a Toys R Us trailer, and a Pampers Trailer parked outside last week .....

Mickster
12-20-2004, 10:53 AM
Hangar,

I will remember to post the exact same things when you have kids. And, BTW, THIS is teal.

Baby Fisk
12-20-2004, 11:31 AM
Hangar,

I will remember to post the exact same things when you have kids. And, BTW, THIS is teal.Hangar's initial reactions were hilarious. Actually, the whole thread was insane:

Everyone Goes Bananas Over the New Fundamentals Location (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=33983&highlight=fundamentals+hangar)

This in my many years of watching WhiteSOX baseball, has got to be one of the DUMBEST IDEAS ive ever ever ever seen yet. There gonna put that PlayPen in LF? Are you Freaking Kidding ME? that looks HORRRRRRRIBBLE ....put it outside! not ON TOP OF THE CONCOURSE

FightingBillini
12-20-2004, 12:10 PM
:tealpolice:

anewman35
12-20-2004, 12:16 PM
You have a point. We should just not bother marketing to kids at all. What's the point? It's not like they'd possibly grow up to be Sox fans. Leave those whiny brats to the Cubs.

CubKilla
12-20-2004, 12:20 PM
Say what you will about Hangar's initial reaction, but I do agree with his assessment that the location picked for the FUNdamentals area is absolutely HORRIBLE!!!!!

I still say the FUNdamentals area would better serve everyone if placed near the Old Comiskey homeplate in the north lot..... but that might cut into JR's parking revenue :rolleyes: .

Hangar18
12-20-2004, 12:23 PM
That was a pretty Bitter but hilarious thread. I figured 7 months might
have mellowed me to the Idea, but its still as DUMB an idea as ever.
As Hawk would say , RIGHT SIZE, WRONG SHAPE

anewman35
12-20-2004, 12:23 PM
Say what you will about Hangar's initial reaction, but I do agree with his assessment that the location picked for the FUNdamentals area is absolutely HORRIBLE!!!!!

I still say the FUNdamentals area would better serve everyone if placed near the Old Comiskey homeplate in the north lot..... but that might cut into JR's parking revenue :rolleyes: .
Have you seen what it looks like yet? How do you know it would be horrible?

The whole point of putting it over the concourse is so you can see it during the game and so people in it can see the game. If it's in the parking lot, what's the point? Might as well leave it under the ramps.

SilverAndBlack
12-20-2004, 12:28 PM
You have a point. We should just not bother marketing to kids at all. What's the point? It's not like they'd possibly grow up to be Sox fans. Leave those whiny brats to the Cubs.well you would seemingly be MAKING cub fans cause if you are in FUNdamentals, you are NOT WATCHING THE GAME!!!!!!!! i believe it's the stupidest idea i have ever heard of. the money could have been spent on something better for the stadium. FUNdamentals itself is a good idea but NOT in left field.

CubKilla
12-20-2004, 12:31 PM

The whole point of putting it over the concourse is so you can see it during the game and so people in it can see the game.
1. Who cares if people can see it. Advertise it during the game. Show the kids playing and having fun. You'll get the same effect.

2. It's going to canopy 1/3-1/2 of the LF concourse from the foulpole south. It may look great on TV, but it'll blow if you're trying to watch the game while walking under it..... which is sometimes necessary when you're going to get food, beer, or anticipating a Dresden-like bombing run to the LF concourse bathrooms.

anewman35
12-20-2004, 12:33 PM
well you would seemingly be MAKING cub fans cause if you are in FUNdamentals, you are NOT WATCHING THE GAME!!!!!!!! i believe it's the stupidest idea i have ever heard of. the money could have been spent on something better for the stadium. FUNdamentals itself is a good idea but NOT in left field.
If you're a kid, you're probably not interested in watching a baseball game for 9 entire innings. If you go to a White Sox game and there's nothing else to do, you'll go home remembering how boring it was. But if you go to a White Sox game and watch baseball for a few innings and eat for a few innings and actually get to play for a few innings, I'd be you'd remember how much fun it was, which would make you like the White Sox more overall.

anewman35
12-20-2004, 12:35 PM
1. Who cares if people can see it. Advertise it during the game. Show the kids playing and having fun. You'll get the same effect.

2. It's going to canopy 1/3-1/2 of the LF concourse from the foulpole south. It may look great on TV, but it'll blow if you're trying to watch the game while walking under it..... which is sometimes necessary when you're going to get food, beer, or anticipating a Dresden-like bombing run to the LF concourse bathrooms.
1. I'm not saying that I neccessairly think it's a important to have it seen during the game, I'm just saying that's the reason that putting it in the parking lot wasn't an option in the team's mind.

2. Again, you may be right, and it may suck. It just seems stupid to blast something for being horrible (like it's a definitave fact) when nobody has ever actually stood under the thing.

Mickster
12-20-2004, 12:36 PM
If you're a kid, you're probably not interested in watching a baseball game for 9 entire innings. If you go to a White Sox game and there's nothing else to do, you'll go home remembering how boring it was. But if you go to a White Sox game and watch baseball for a few innings and eat for a few innings and actually get to play for a few innings, I'd be you'd remember how much fun it was, which would make you like the White Sox more overall.
Precisely! The entire point of having is on top of the LF concourse is so that parents can take the kids there to have fun while making it possible to have the parents watch the game while their children are being entertained. I honestly see no problems with it.

SilverAndBlack
12-20-2004, 12:37 PM
again you're wrong. you know what will make them SOX fans?

WINNING!

pinwheels3530
12-20-2004, 12:37 PM
Oh Boy, here we go again!!!!:D:

CubKilla
12-20-2004, 12:38 PM
When I was a kid, I'd have to beg my father to stay the entire 9 innings growing up cause going to a baseball game was a once, maybe twice a year (if I was lucky) excursion for me. If you're a kid and you get bored at a baseball game, you're not a baseball fan. You'd be better off asking your mom and dad to take you to Wrigley.

Mickster
12-20-2004, 12:40 PM

WINNING!
Yep. 2-4 Year old kids care about winning. I mean, that is why there are so many cub fans out there. That fine pedigree of "Winning Cub Baseball" that has plagued sox fans for the last 3 decades. Not marketing, but winning! Might work for the adult population, but for the kids...be serious.

anewman35
12-20-2004, 12:44 PM

WINNING!
The Sox haven't won a damn thing when most of us were kids. But we became fans. So winning clearly isn't the only way.

Hangar18
12-20-2004, 12:44 PM

The whole point of putting it over the concourse is so you can see it during the game and so people in it can see the game. If it's in the parking lot, what's the point? Might as well leave it under the ramps.

I saw what its going to look like ....... they posted a picture of it. Its Terribly Obtrusive and oversized. I dont want that thing blocking my view of the ballgame from LF, and I know you guys arent going to like seeing balls come sailing out of the PlayPen onto the seats below, or hearing screaming kids
having fun, when they should be watching the ballgame instead.

CubKilla
12-20-2004, 12:45 PM
Yep. 2-4 Year old kids care about winning. I mean, that is why there are so many cub fans out there. That fine pedigree of "Winning Cub Baseball" that has plagued sox fans for the last 3 decades. Not marketing, but winning! Might work for the adult population, but for the kids...be serious.
Again, when I was a kid, the Sox sucked but I still loved going to my one game a year with my dad. As a kid, the record meant nothing to me. If they were winning (like in '83), that was a bonus.

And in regards to the White Sox, winning is what puts $$$$$ in JR's pockets. Not FUNdamentals..... but I wouldn't put it past JR to charge for access to his new monstrosity in LF.

:reinsy

"Charge them while they're young and they'll be paying me for the rest of their lives!!!!!"

anewman35
12-20-2004, 12:46 PM
When I was a kid, I'd have to beg my father to stay the entire 9 innings growing up cause going to a baseball game was a once, maybe twice a year (if I was lucky) excursion for me. If you're a kid and you get bored at a baseball game, you're not a baseball fan. You'd be better off asking your mom and dad to take you to Wrigley.
I'm sorry, but the Sox can't survive by only having baseball fans. You need people who are just there for entertainment, too, or else you'll have 5,000 fans a game.

Anyway, people change. When I went to Sox games when I was a little kid, I never paid attention. I remember one day game at Old Comiskey when I was about 5, we had really great box seats, and I made my father take me home in about the second inning because it was way too hot. Then, years later, I got into baseball. And, I became a Sox fan. Would it have been better if I had become a Cubs fans when I was a kid instead?

anewman35
12-20-2004, 12:48 PM
I saw what its going to look like ....... they posted a picture of it. Its Terribly Obtrusive and oversized. I dont want that thing blocking my view of the ballgame from LF, and I know you guys arent going to like seeing balls come sailing out of the PlayPen onto the seats below, or hearing screaming kids
You can't base anything just on that picture, it's quite possible that plans changed after they posted it. And you talk about it blocking your view from LF: I'm curious - how many people here spend the entire game standing along the back of the LF concourse? What ever happened to actually sitting in your seats? Why don't people complain that they can't see the game from, say, the back of the 1B concourse? What's the difference?

Wealz
12-20-2004, 12:49 PM
Sheesh, ragging on a relatively small portion of the park dedicated to kids. Merry Christmas to you too . . .

SilverAndBlack
12-20-2004, 12:50 PM
but most of you are missing the main point. i don't think any are AGAINST the fundamentals. we just don't want it placed in left field. i've seen the pic as well and it looks totally out of place.

Mickster
12-20-2004, 12:51 PM
but most of you are missing the main point. i don't think any are AGAINST the fundamentals. we just don't want it placed in left field. i've seen the pic as well and it looks totally out of place.
Where would you suggest it be placed?

anewman35
12-20-2004, 12:52 PM
Why do I get the impression that most people wouldn't be complaining at all if they were building the exact same structure, but calling it "The Bullpen Sports Bar Left - Sponsered by Hooters"?

SilverAndBlack
12-20-2004, 12:53 PM
i think it's fine where it is. no need to move it to the concorse. and the money could be used for other improvements.

CubKilla
12-20-2004, 12:53 PM
Where would you suggest it be placed?
The north parking lot right where the Old Comiskey homeplate is. Everyone could see it from there..... not just those going to the game.

Mickster
12-20-2004, 12:54 PM
The north parking lot right where the Old Comiskey homeplate is. Everyone could see it from there..... not just those going to the game.
So, you would have to leave the park to bring your kid to the FUNdamental play area???

Mickster
12-20-2004, 12:55 PM
i think it's fine where it is. no need to move it to the concorse. and the money could be used for other improvements.
It's basically in a dungeon.....

CubKilla
12-20-2004, 12:55 PM
Why do I get the impression that most people wouldn't be complaining at all if they were building the exact same structure, but calling it "The Bullpen Sports Bar Left - Sponsered by Hooters"?
They already built something similar in a good place in CF...... where no one's view is obstructed. You could walk through it if you wanna watch the game while walking around with friends. But now JR is gonna ruin THAT by making it a party area where you'll have to guarantee a certain number of people to reserve it.

Mickster
12-20-2004, 12:56 PM
No truer words have ever been spoken. :smile:

CubKilla
12-20-2004, 12:57 PM
So, you would have to leave the park to bring your kid to the FUNdamental play area???
The FUNdamentals area is only open before games. I doubt it will be open during games unless netting is strewn up over the LF seats.

anewman35
12-20-2004, 12:58 PM
But, again, you're totally missing the point. A quote, from the original PR about the deck:
"Relocating FUNdamentals to a central, visible location will make it much more of a destination within the ballpark," said Terry Savarise, White Sox senior vice president of stadium operations. "FUNdamentals has always supported our mission of expanding the love of baseball to kids of all ages, and now it will be in a location that allows parents to take their kids to FUNdamentals and still enjoy the on-field action of White Sox baseball games. It will be an experience that's completely unique to U.S. Cellular Field and FUNdamentals will join the Fan Deck as focal points inside the ballpark."

SilverAndBlack
12-20-2004, 12:59 PM
It's basically in a dungeon.....
i think it's cool to be goin up the escalators and see fundamentals where it is. but i don't wanna see it on the left field concorse.

anewman35
12-20-2004, 01:00 PM
The FUNdamentals area is only open before games. I doubt it will be open during games unless netting is strewn up over the LF seats.
Per the Press Release:

FUNdamentals will continue to open when the gates to the ballpark open (typically 90 minutes before game time) and will remain open during the game beginning in 2005.

Frater Perdurabo
12-20-2004, 01:00 PM

Netting probably will be installed perpendicular to the wiffle-ball field's "fence." This way the balls will stay within the mini-diamond and not hit unsuspecting fans in the head.

Mickster
12-20-2004, 01:01 PM
:b&b
"Huh..Huh..Huh... He Said Hooters!"

Mickster
12-20-2004, 01:04 PM
i think it's cool to be goin up the escalators and see fundamentals where it is. but i don't wanna see it on the left field concorse.
Cool for you as you're looking down on it while going to watch the game. Not cool for the parents who have spend $$ on tickets only to spend a portion of the game not being able to see it.

Frater Perdurabo
12-20-2004, 01:05 PM
For crying out loud, I wouldn't care if the Cell had PINK seats and a tin roof. To me, it's more important that the Sox attract as many fans as possible in order to increase revenues and therefore spend more money on payroll. Besides, let's withhold judgment until we actually see the finished product. :rolleyes:

Mickster
12-20-2004, 01:10 PM
We have spent so much time on this board ripping Gallas to shreds when he was here that I am truly shocked that we are even having this discussion. We are talking about increasing a fan base for years to come.

anewman35
12-20-2004, 01:14 PM
We have spent so much time on this board ripping Gallas to shreds when he was here that I am truly shocked that we are even having this discussion. We are talking about increasing a fan base for years to come.
Exactly. The bottom line is, NO ONE is going to NOT go to a game because this is there. However, some people might go to a game BECAUSE this is there. How is that hard to understand?

lths06
12-20-2004, 01:25 PM
Exactly. The bottom line is, NO ONE is going to NOT go to a game because this is there. However, some people might go to a game BECAUSE this is there. How is that hard to understand?
Im just afraid of going to school and having my cub fan friends ripping on me for having a stupid play pen thing in left field. For once as a Sox fan, I won't have a comeback.

steff
12-20-2004, 01:27 PM

I heard they had to ask you several times to leave. :tongue:

Baby Fisk
12-20-2004, 01:33 PM
Im just afraid of going to school and having my cub fan friends ripping on me for having a stupid play pen thing in left field. For once as a Sox fan, I won't have a comeback.
Dude, all of Wrigley Field is a giant playpen for yuppie scum who go to chat on the phone and wave at the TV cameras and act like they are in a singles bar. Baseball? They play baseball there? :?:

oeo
12-20-2004, 01:47 PM
Exactly...and it's going to be there people, so learn to like it and stop complaining.

SilverAndBlack
12-20-2004, 01:51 PM
Dude, all of Wrigley Field is a giant playpen for yuppie scum who go to chat on the phone and wave at the TV cameras and act like they are in a singles bar. Baseball? They play baseball there? :?:
so what's the difference? we're gonna turn our park into a Chuck-E-Cheeses!

oeo
12-20-2004, 01:54 PM
so what's the difference? we're gonna turn our park into a Chuck-E-Cheeses!
Sorry but that makes no sense whatsoever. FUNdamentals has always been there, why is it becoming a Chuck-E-Cheeses now? I don't see the problem everyone has with this...it's something for the kids to do, YOU already have tons to do.

ewokpelts
12-20-2004, 02:00 PM

2. It's going to canopy 1/3-1/2 of the LF concourse from the foulpole south. It may look great on TV, but it'll blow if you're trying to watch the game while walking under it..... which is sometimes necessary when you're going to get food, beer, or anticipating a Dresden-like bombing run to the LF concourse bathrooms.i dont think it's going to block the view from the concourse....no more than beer stand or hot dog vendor would..if anything, you can go UNDER it during a rain delay...
Gene

ewokpelts
12-20-2004, 02:04 PM
We have spent so much time on this board ripping Gallas to shreds when he was here that I am truly shocked that we are even having this discussion. We are talking about increasing a fan base for years to come.you cant please everyone......i'm reserving judgement until april...
Gene

SilverAndBlack
12-20-2004, 02:04 PM
Sorry but that makes no sense whatsoever. FUNdamentals has always been there, why is it becoming a Chuck-E-Cheeses now? I don't see the problem everyone has with this...it's something for the kids to do, YOU already have tons to do.
obviously you cannot read very well. i don't have a problem with fundamentals. i just think it's a horrible idea putting it on the left field concorse. where to put it? i dunno. but surely there's a better place where it would not detract from the game.

anewman35
12-20-2004, 02:05 PM
obviously you cannot read very well. i don't have a problem with fundamentals. i just think it's a horrible idea putting it on the left field concorse. where to put it? i dunno. but surely there's a better place where it would not detract from the game.
If this detracts from the game, then so does the fan deck and the scoreboard and the Bullpen Sports Bar.

nlentz88
12-20-2004, 02:06 PM
And you talk about it blocking your view from LF: I'm curious - how many people here spend the entire game standing along the back of the LF concourse? What ever happened to actually sitting in your seats? Why don't people complain that they can't see the game from, say, the back of the 1B concourse? What's the difference?
I know I'm a minority, but as a smoker the US Cell concourse is a godsend. I've been to many MLB stadiums and other pro sport venues around this country, and very few have a place where you can smoke your cigarette/cigar and still watch the game (without resorting to a TV). Have you ever tried to smoke at Miller Park?

The thought is that if I'm sitting in LF at the Cell and want to have a cigarette, no longer will I be able to climb the steps to the concourse, turn around, and watch the game. Now the FUNdamentals section may be blocking my view, and I'll have to walk an extra 100 feet to a spot on the concourse where I can see the field.

Obviously, this isn't a big deal. If you walk the outfield concourse at any point during the game you'll see dozens of smokers standing there watching the action on the field, but I bet most would be more than happy to walk a little farther in order to make room for the kiddies.

I support this new addition to the Cell and hope it does help build the Sox' fan base. Nevertheless, even the most ardent supporters of the new FUNdamentals area should acknowledge that the new area is going to interfere with sight lines, foot traffic, and even atmosphere in regards to the LF concourse.

ewokpelts
12-20-2004, 02:07 PM
:reinsy

ANEWMAN35, you may have a point...maybe i should change it.....and then chrge for it! bwhahaha!

Gene

p.s. you're right on the money with that one...who cares about the kids...we want our own rooftop experience....ask henry about his rooftop idea....

anewman35
12-20-2004, 02:09 PM
I support this new addition to the Cell and hope it does help build the Sox' fan base. Nevertheless, even the most ardent supporters of the new FUNdamentals area should acknowledge that the new area is going to interfere with sight lines, foot traffic, and even atmosphere in regards to the LF concourse.
It's quite possible that things will be different, but nobody actually knows HOW it will be different. Seems silly for people to be complaining so much about it. Wait til opening day, complain then. Maybe they'll have to take out the shower when they put this up! Now THAT would be horrible!

Mickster
I know I'm a minority, but as a smoker the US Cell concourse is a godsend. I've been to many MLB stadiums and other pro sport venues around this country, and very few have a place where you can smoke your cigarette/cigar and still watch the game (without resorting to a TV). Have you ever tried to smoke at Miller Park?

The thought is that if I'm sitting in LF at the Cell and want to have a cigarette, no longer will I be able to climb the steps to the concourse, turn around, and watch the game. Now the FUNdamentals section may be blocking my view, and I'll have to walk an extra 100 feet to a spot on the concourse where I can see the field.

Obviously, this isn't a big deal. If you walk the outfield concourse at any point during the game you'll see dozens of smokers standing there watching the action on the field, but I bet most would be more than happy to walk a little farther in order to make room for the kiddies.

I am a smoker as well, unfortunately. The proposed FUNdamental fan deck will be elevated over the LF concourse so that you will still be able to stand under the FUNdamental fan deck and puff away. You will just have a "roof" over your head.

lths06
I don't have anything aginst them for spending money on fundementals. Its just that where they put it - why make it a major attration on top of the concoarse for everyone to see? I dont see the logic. Why not outside or expand where it used to be?

oeo
12-20-2004, 02:14 PM
What do you mean I cannot read very well, you said that our park was turning into chuckecheese's. How does this detract from the game? If it's such a distraction then don't look at it...you SHOULD be watching the game anyway.

MRKARNO
12-20-2004, 02:14 PM
Are we really having this debate again?

SilverAndBlack
12-20-2004, 02:24 PM
What do you mean I cannot read very well, you said that our park was turning into chuckecheese's. How does this detract from the game? If it's such a distraction then don't look at it...you SHOULD be watching the game anyway.
if i'm sitting in left field it is a distraction. and don't say "don't sit in left field" that's one of my fav places to watch the game.

anewman35
12-20-2004, 02:25 PM
if i'm sitting in left field it is a distraction. and don't say "don't sit in left field" that's one of my fav places to watch the game.
It'll be behind you. Shouldn't you be looking at the field instead?

SilverAndBlack
12-20-2004, 02:27 PM
It'll be behind you. Shouldn't you be looking at the field instead?
you must totally be dense to think that it will not distract people who are trying to watch the game.

anewman35
12-20-2004, 02:30 PM
you must totally be dense to think that it will not distract people who are trying to watch the game.
How will something that's probably 20 feet behind you and 15 feet above you distract you from the game? Do you think the noise will be distracting? Because, ideally, don't we want to have a loud stadium? Beyond that, I can't understand what would be distracting about it.

kittle42
12-20-2004, 02:31 PM
Easily the best quote in this thread...

I know you guys arent going to like seeing balls come sailing out of the PlayPen onto the seats below, or hearing screaming kids
So watching the ballgame isn't fun? :tongue:

Iwritecode
12-20-2004, 02:51 PM
I took my two older daughters to a kid's day last year. After about the third or fourth inning, they started to get a little antsy.

They're not really into baseball (yet). They'd rather play with their Barbies or gameboys. Having the fundamentals is a great idea IMO. It will give the kids something to do while I can still keep up with the action on the field.

As for those that are against it:

1. It will be out of the way enough that it won't block the view of a single seat.

2. If we're lucky, the cheering of the fans should drown out any noise coming from the kids.

3. Seeing the game from the concourse is a privilege, not a right. Most ballparks (including the shrine up north) you have to watch the game from a TV when you go to get food or whatever.

4. If nothing else it should bring more fans to the park.

5. It's not a playpen or a playground. It's a miniature baseball diamond. We are building future fans and players out there.

ewokpelts
12-20-2004, 02:58 PM
I took my two older daughters to a kid's day last year. After about the third or fourth inning, they started to get a little antsy.

They're not really into baseball (yet). They'd rather play with their Barbies or gameboys. Having the fundamentals is a great idea IMO. It will give the kids something to do while I can still keep up with the action on the field.

As for those that are against it:

1. It will be out of the way enough that it won't block the view of a single seat.

2. If we're lucky, the cheering of the fans should drown out any noise coming from the kids.

3. Seeing the game from the concourse is a privilege, not a right. Most ballparks (including the shrine up north) you have to watch the game from a TV when you go to get food or whatever.

4. If nothing else it should bring more fans to the park.

5. It's not a playpen or a playground. It's a miniature baseball diamond. We are building future fans and players out there.

AMEN!

ewokpelts
12-20-2004, 03:00 PM
I don't have anything aginst them for spending money on fundementals. Its just that where they put it - why make it a major attration on top of the concoarse for everyone to see? I dont see the logic. Why not outside or expand where it used to be?TWO LETTERS.....tv......THEY ARE TRYING TO CREATE TEH SAME BUZZ FOR THE CELL AS WRIGLEY HAS...
gENE

Baby Fisk
12-20-2004, 03:06 PM
TWO LETTERS.....tv......THEY ARE TRYING TO CREATE TEH SAME BUZZ FOR THE CELL AS WRIGLEY HAS...
gENE
I look forward to seeing those cutaway shots of little Sox fans cavorting around in there. That's TV gold, folks. Slightly more exciting than waterworks or giant milk jugs, IMHO.

soltrain21
12-20-2004, 03:15 PM
I look forward to seeing those cutaway shots of little Sox fans cavorting around in there. That's TV gold, folks. Slightly more exciting than waterworks or giant milk jugs, IMHO.
Exactly, you know how much attention it will get on Sunday Night Baseball or a Fox day game? Those two channels show little kids at the games all the time, it will be a goldmine.

How is it going to be a distraction? This I don't understand at all. It will be far away and elevated, and VERY supervised. Its not like its a Burger King playpen.

Will change the atmosphere of the park? I HEAR THAT! Screw trying to attract families to the park! What we need are more drunken fights!

Mickster
12-20-2004, 03:15 PM
Slightly more exciting than waterworks or giant milk jugs, IMHO.
Real giant milk jugs or, um....... :redface:

chisoxmike
12-20-2004, 03:30 PM
Does anybody know if home runs will be able to be shot up there? Anway, I think the idea is fine, really, they needed to do something with the outfield area. Its much better than the billboards out there.

My idea was to knock out the ads, or move them, and make a walkway elevated and around the entire outfield concourse with no concession stands or anything, just something for fans to watch the game from.

lths06
12-20-2004, 03:32 PM
Does anybody know if home runs will be able to be shot up there? Anway, I think the idea is fine, really, they needed to do something with the outfield area. Its much better than the billboards out there.

My idea was to knock out the ads, or move them, and make a walkway elevated and around the entire outfield concourse with no concession stands or anything, just something for fans to watch the game from.No way a homerun is reaching there. It would have to be over 500 ft. And I really like your idea of the walkway. A fantasy satdium on the videogame All Star Baseball 2005 had a stadium with an elevated walkway just like that. Very cool, though I dont see it happening

Hangar18
12-20-2004, 04:36 PM
Lets not forget, after a number of fans are struck unwittingly by batted
balls from the PlayPen, the Netting around the entire Mini-Cell. Will
give it a Driving Range look ..........

HomeFish
12-20-2004, 04:39 PM
No way a homerun is reaching there. It would have to be over 500 ft.

:LTP

It would be oddly appropriate if he hit one into a little league field, wouldn't it...

lths06
12-20-2004, 04:41 PM
:LTP

It would be oddly appropriate if he hit one into a little league field, wouldn't it...
:)

ewokpelts
12-20-2004, 04:41 PM
give it a Driving Range look ..........i doubt they'll open it without netting...i think it was part of the plan...you'd think henry would like the POSITIVE media feedback
Gene

lths06
12-20-2004, 04:42 PM
i doubt they'll open it without netting...i think it was part of the plan...you'd think henry would like the POSITIVE media feedback
Gene
of coarse they dont show the ugly netting when they released those pics of what it would look like...

A.T. Money
12-20-2004, 05:10 PM
Bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch.

That's all certain people do anymore.

lths06
12-20-2004, 05:29 PM
Bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch.

That's all certain people do anymore.
Hey - we've got to train during the off-season:tongue:

Wealz
12-20-2004, 05:44 PM
give it a Driving Range look ..........
Um, don't worry there probably won't be any batted balls flying around. They use a device similar to 'The Hit Away' in the current FUNdementals area.

zach074
12-20-2004, 08:06 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/ballpark/index.jsp

There is no way that thing will ruin any view. It looks like there are gona be some spots for the dads to sit and watch the game from an excellent view while there kids play. I'm more worried about those scout seats.

soxnut
12-20-2004, 09:41 PM

WINNING!

Yeah, that's why every one of us here is a Sox fan!!:D:

Parrothead
12-20-2004, 09:41 PM
My two cents......

I really don't think that the Kids area will help attendance at all. While kids will have a good time at the Fundementals area, it is still the parents who have to bring the kids. Most parents work during the week and kids have to go to school prior to summer break, so bringing kids during the week is most likely out. Weekend tickets are at a minimum $24 per seat prior to summer and $28 after that and even more for the NYY, BOS and LA. With the economy as it is today not many parents have that much disposable income to spend over $100 for a game more than maybe one game a month.

My opinion is that the Sox need to market more towards people with more disposal income, i.e. single people out of college/high school. Or the Sox could have more more day games during the summer and lower ticket prices on these day games so that more families can attend, if they would like keep the "family atmosphere."

soxnut
12-20-2004, 09:49 PM

What do you expect from Sox fans nowadays? Unfortunately. Sox fans as a whole, have got to be the biggest whiners in all of sports---embarrasing:redface:

chisox06
12-20-2004, 10:15 PM
Stupid idea in a stupid location. Now all we need is a carousel, Ferris wheel and a hot tub and we got the most fan friendly park around! What ever happened to the good old days when people paid money to go a watch a baseball game? Now a days, we have to cram different forms of irrelevant entertainment in order to try and woo people to go to a game, its sickening. I agree that it probably wont keep people from going, but its not gonna bring them in either (at least not anything noticable). So it dosent serve any real purpose other than looking obtrusive and out of place. I have no problem with giving the kids something to do, but you dont put that thing on the concourse, IMO its gonna look ridiculous.

You wanna bring kids to the park? Try lowering ticket prices, so the normal family can actually afford it.

soltrain21
12-20-2004, 10:21 PM
A lot of you people are acting like you have to look at it all game. It is not going to obstruct anyones view out there. Just gives our park another unique experience for people.

soxnut
12-20-2004, 10:30 PM
A lot of you people are acting like you have to look at it all game. It is not going to obstruct anyones view out there. Just gives our park another unique experience for people.
Yeah you're right. They're really acting very selfish and ridiculous, then again, I wouldn't expect anything diffferent.:(:

SoxBoy14
12-20-2004, 10:55 PM
I don't give a crap what's in or not at the Cell. They're not in _____ing Tampa. For a World Series victory [something my Grandfather never saw and my father may never see] I don't care if they turn the bleachers into a daycare center. WIN THE WS IN MY LIFETIME!!!!! Merry Christmas to all my WSI brothers and sisters by the way.

ewokpelts
12-21-2004, 05:03 AM
I don't give a crap what's in or not at the Cell. They're not in _____ing Tampa. For a World Series victory [something my Grandfather never saw and my father may never see] I don't care if they turn the bleachers into a daycare center. WIN THE WS IN MY LIFETIME!!!!! Merry Christmas to all my WSI brothers and sisters by the way.amen brother....

Cellview22
12-21-2004, 05:50 PM
I don't give a crap what's in or not at the Cell. They're not in _____ing Tampa. For a World Series victory [something my Grandfather never saw and my father may never see] I don't care if they turn the bleachers into a daycare center. WIN THE WS IN MY LIFETIME!!!!! Merry Christmas to all my WSI brothers and sisters by the way.
Nice post! I wish everyone had that attitude.

The only thing I'm not looking forward to is the inevitable jokes and mockeries I'll have to listen to throughout its initial season. I'll go to the Cell to watch a great game and all I'll hear is some morons behind me ripping on the "mini-park" the whole game...or better yet whenever I turn on the radio. People always have to rip on stuff, and it drives me insane. I can already hear them laughing through their beers.