PDA

View Full Version : Pre/Post Game Hangouts for 19 Yearold

BRDSR
12-19-2004, 02:43 PM
This crossed my mind the other day and I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I'm planning on going to Opening Day with a few of my buddies from school, and I was wondering about where we can hang out before and/or after the game. Being from the suburbs I don't know the area all that well especially south of 35th. Are there any cool places where a White Sox fan of a non-legal drinking age can go, or are my friends and I going to be confined to tailgating(which is also a great time).

jabrch
12-19-2004, 02:45 PM
This crossed my mind the other day and I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I'm planning on going to Opening Day with a few of my buddies from school, and I was wondering about where we can hang out before and/or after the game. Being from the suburbs I don't know the area all that well especially south of 35th. Are there any cool places where a White Sox fan of a non-legal drinking age can go, or are my friends and I going to be confined to tailgating(which is also a great time).

I'd plan on tailgating...It's the most fun you can have - IMHO.

HomeFish
12-19-2004, 02:51 PM
If you don't consider yourself too hip for swings, Armour Square Park has a great set of them.

chisoxmike
12-19-2004, 02:51 PM
Sucks doesn't it. I know what you mean, last year and the year before I was 19 and 20 and never wanted to leave to go home right after a game, but it sucked that there were only bars around the park. But, before the game you can go to the hot dog stand on 35th and Parnell (I think) its called McNally's. Its really good, $4 can get you a hot dog and fries, much cheaper than at the cell.

Nothing else really around the cell, you can hop on the red line and take it to the city, mainly you can get off at chicago, or grand, there are a ton of restaurants there that you can go to, Rock Bottom, Johnny Rockets to name a few. Nothing too exciting, but its something to do.

Luckily, I'll be 21 this upcoming baseball season.

OG4LIFE
12-19-2004, 02:52 PM
yea, i'd say tailgating is your best plan, and i'd say it is for most people, regardless of age...

just an fyi, if you guys are planning on bringing a cooler out there with beer or whatever, there are guys out there on bikes that will id you and will give you a ticket. me and all of my buddies are 22- 25 years old, and we usually get carded by two different securtiy guys on bikes every game we tailgate.

FightingBillini
12-19-2004, 02:54 PM
I will most likely be there, too. I havent gotten tickets yet, but I will pick them up at Soxfest if they are still available (I am going on Friday). I will probably be tailgating, but I am 21. You need to be very cautious. Security does go through the parking lots occasionally and ask for IDs. It would ruin your day getting busted beforehand and missing the game. I know a few people it happened to, not at the Cell, but at the Tweeter Center. Plus its a $240 fine.

Brian26
12-19-2004, 03:06 PM
Are there any cool places where a White Sox fan of a non-legal drinking age can go, or are my friends and I going to be confined to tailgating(which is also a great time).
Zero Gravity in Woodridge.

Jerome
12-19-2004, 03:09 PM
If you don't consider yourself too hip for swings, Armour Square Park has a great set of them.

yeah I'm 16 and I'll certainly be on those swings whenever we go to games lol!

I usually just stay around the park. If we want to go somewhere, It'll be back downtown.

Sox Mobile
12-19-2004, 03:12 PM
BRDSR, Tailgating is THE greatest midwest sporting event tradition. Its not allowed at many East and West coast parks.

Enjoy it!

soxwon
12-19-2004, 03:30 PM
simple its called a FAKE ID!!!!

dllrbll7
12-19-2004, 03:46 PM
yea, i'd say tailgating is your best plan, and i'd say it is for most people, regardless of age...

just an fyi, if you guys are planning on bringing a cooler out there with beer or whatever, there are guys out there on bikes that will id you and will give you a ticket. me and all of my buddies are 22- 25 years old, and we usually get carded by two different securtiy guys on bikes every game we tailgate.
Ive been tailgating at about 10 games a year for about 6yrs now and until last season i was under age.Last year was the first time we ever got carded and not all of us were of age and they just gave us a warning. I think the only reason they carded us was because it was raining and it was about game time and we were the only ones in the parking lot. I wouldnt be too conserned but dont go acting like a drunk cub fan or anything and then youll sure get carded

AnkleSox
12-19-2004, 03:49 PM
How tough are the security guards on fake id's? I have a pretty decent one and I've even bought beer inside the park with it, so i would assume the security guards aren't too bad.

Erik The Red
12-19-2004, 04:54 PM
Zero Gravity in Woodridge. HAHAHA, Zero G! Is that place open? I never set foot in there, but I remember that being quite the hangout when I was in high school.

OG4LIFE
12-19-2004, 05:54 PM
LOL!

i went there once when i was younger (weird saying that), and that place is super shady, in a cheesy, gay, suburban kid kind of way, if that makes any sense.

stay away

BigHurt9394
12-19-2004, 05:56 PM
Last season I was tailgating with some buddies, all of us were 20 so obviously we were/are law breakers. We definitely got carded by pacific blue riding around, they let us off with a warning, but i would not suggest drinking in the lots before the game underage unless you are willing to risk a ticket. Oh, and Zero Gravity is an abomination of commerce...If anyone ever suggests that again on this board I will be terribly upset.

sullythered
12-19-2004, 06:03 PM

Yes! I remember hearing about that place all the time when I was, like, sixteen. I never went there because it sounded horrible. Now I work in Woodridge, and I can report that Zero Gravity is still up and running. So kids: get out your shiny shirts, and lets head to the juice bar!

Palehose13
12-19-2004, 06:09 PM
In my underage years, I used to go to Ricobene's after games. Ummmmmm...breaded steak sammich. :D:

HITMEN OF 77
12-19-2004, 06:32 PM
Isn't there a Zero Gravity in Napperville?

sullythered
12-19-2004, 06:48 PM
Isn't there a Zero Gravity in Napperville?

I'm sure it's the same one. Those far southwest suburbs all sort of bleed together.

eastchicagosoxfan
12-19-2004, 06:56 PM
When I was your age my buddies and I got drunk at the Baseball Palace of the World, and McCuddy's. Underage and over-served. Times were good. That was in the early 1980's. Times have changed. Tail-gate. It's a great time. You can't beat it. Or really plan your day, go to a decent joint, eat, park as far away from the park as you can, and go exploring. You're young, be adventerous.

Foulke You
12-19-2004, 07:13 PM
You can always go to Chinatown before or after the games. There are all kinds of great Chinese restaurants and shops to go and kill some time in and the Cermak/Chinatown stop is 1 stop on the red line away from Sox-35th. I suggest Won Kow if you are looking for a good Chinese restaurant in Chinatown.

sullythered
12-19-2004, 07:14 PM
When I was your age my buddies and I got drunk at the Baseball Palace of the World, and McCuddy's. Underage and over-served. Times were good. That was in the early 1980's. Times have changed. Tail-gate. It's a great time. You can't beat it. Or really plan your day, go to a decent joint, eat, park as far away from the park as you can, and go exploring. You're young, be adventerous.

Hell yes. I'm only 25, and I miss that kind of stuff already. It's more fun if you're not supposed to be doing it. I would suggest investing in a good Fake ID, though.

Foulke You
12-19-2004, 07:14 PM
Oh, and if Chinese Food isn't your bag, there is a Mr. Submarine at 35th and Morgan about 3 blocks from the ballpark. Mmmmmm...Mr. Submarine...Man, I'm really hungry now.:D:

ChiWhiteSox1337
12-19-2004, 07:15 PM
The kid's corner is pretty cool in the OF concourse. You can get an entire meal for around $4! :wink: I'm only 16 and I think McNally's is pretty good for their hot dogs. I used to sometimes smuggle hot dogs from there into the park by putting them in my jacket. I'm the reason why JR can't afford high priced FA's, but recently I've stopped my smuggling ways and we've been able to acquire talent such as Kevin Walker.

Dub25
12-19-2004, 08:11 PM
There's a Connie's Pizza on Archer ave right by Chinatown. 26th and Archer? I'm sure somebody on here knows the correct streets.

jake27
12-19-2004, 10:38 PM
im only 18 and when i go, my friends and i go to O'mallys before the game. they have AMAZING food at reasonable prices. after the game we usually go to grandstand and mabye o'malleys again, if the mood strikes. tried the chinatown thing before the game, just didnt seem right for some reason.

Parrothead
12-19-2004, 10:40 PM
Cobblestones on 38th and parnell, I think will let you in. Get the muffelta.

WikdChiSoxFan
12-19-2004, 10:43 PM
As I have recently entered "manhood" I would agree that tailgating is almost always a good time and that the cops are really startin to crack down on that stuff. And for food, a lot of Sox fans go to McNally's, but really there are a ton of good greasy eateries all over the place. And some for certain situations...like say after a nice sox win where you brought your flask too add that extra element to the $4.00 coke after the game (or any party really) hit up Maxwell Street, it's on 31st just west of the bridge...you will have to order the greasiest tastiest double cheeseburger with onions that you've ever had. Grandstand is always a good place to go to. A lot of sox fans will be there before and after games...although this leads to impulse sox cap buys that you really can't afford. But Ricobene's, Donnie's, Freddy's, Connie's, are all good choices...if you're looking for mexican San Jose on Halstead is all right...but if you want the best, Los Comales on Archer and approx 36th is awesome...same with Pollo Charro, just a little north on Archer from Los Comales...as for me, what's starting to become a pregame ritual is Lindy's Chili on 37th & Archer...they've got the Paulie special, (the owner is Paulie, but I like to think of it as a PK special)..it's a hotdog wrapped in a couple slices of bacon and deep fried...oh, and if you want to eat healthy...um...err...well you could pack salad or somethin...

Mohoney
12-20-2004, 12:25 AM
Wow. I've never had this happen to me.

Maybe it's because my friends and I are too scruffy looking to possibly be under 21.

Inside, though, I get carded just about every time, unless I get a vendor that's served me before.

dcb33
12-20-2004, 12:50 AM
Wow. I've never had this happen to me.

Maybe it's because my friends and I are too scruffy looking to possibly be under 21.

Inside, though, I get carded just about every time, unless I get a vendor that's served me before.
I've never been checked for ID either. Me and my friends usually tailgate about 10 games a year (all of us are over 21, but not by much), and I've never seen anyone get carded in a Sox parking lot. Then again, we don't do anything stupid to draw attention to ourselves from security, either.
I didn't even think the cops could write you a ticket while in the lot... the big no-no is taking that open container of alcohol out of the parking lot and on to the sidewalk or street. The cops will bust you there, whether you're 18, 35, or 102. I've seen it happen to many, and I swear, if I ever see one more thread in the Sox Clubhouse started by some bonehead about how much it sucks that he got busted by a cop for carrying his can of Miller Lite or whatever out into the street and got a 200 ticket for it, I'll scream...

MarkyBear
12-20-2004, 12:57 AM
It's been close to 10 years since I been there, but I used to go to Cobblestones, just a couple-few blocks from the park...

You could park in their parking lot for $10.00, but once you'd get $10.00 back in chips to spend at the bar...

Owner, his name was/is Jim I believe, great guy...Not sure if it's still there and if you could get in though...But if my memory serves me correct, I do recall seeing some of the younglings in there...Good food and you don't always have to drink beer!

HAHA, my first TEAL!!! :bandance:

CubKilla
12-20-2004, 01:09 AM
Hang out with some of the regs at tailgates and you won't be bothered by security. And this is not an endorsement for underage drinking :wink: .

ewokpelts
12-20-2004, 02:11 PM
The kid's corner is pretty cool in the OF concourse. You can get an entire meal for around $4! :wink: I'm only 16 and I think McNally's is pretty good for their hot dogs. I used to sometimes smuggle hot dogs from there into the park by putting them in my jacket. I'm the reason why JR can't afford high priced FA's, but recently I've stopped my smuggling ways and we've been able to acquire talent such as Kevin Walker. you can bring in food...no drinks...
Gene

ewokpelts
12-20-2004, 02:14 PM
tailgaters will only get harrased if they are causing a ruckus....my brother used to live on 39th and wallace...we'd drink on the way to the park, but hide our beers...once we got in the gates, openly drink..the comiskey lot is considered private property...open container laws do not apply...

Gene

ihatethecubs
12-20-2004, 03:49 PM
i always enjoy maxwell st station at 31st and canal before and after games. and chinatown is always cool too. oh and dont forget about kevins hamburger heaven

FarmerAndy
12-20-2004, 03:51 PM
This past summer the Parkside Grill opened up right next door to Jimbo's. They have the best Italian beef in Bridgeport.

If you are under 21 and looking to hang out, this is a good place to eat. They put tables out on the sidewalk. So, while you can't sit out on the sidewalk at Jimbo's and drink, you can sit out in front of Parkside grill and converse with all of the fans. I mean, the tables outside of the Parkside start pretty close to where the tables for Jimbo's end. So it's like you are part of the same crowd.

Anyway, I'm not a minor, so I never really gave it much thought. But Parkside would be my suggestion.

The only problem is, I don't know if the weather on opening day will be patio weather.

Of course, if you have a bunch of hotties with you, then just come party at my place. I'm only a few doors down. :)

FarmerAndy
12-20-2004, 04:02 PM
HAHAHA, Zero G! Is that place open? I never set foot in there, but I remember that being quite the hangout when I was in high school.
When I was younger, Zero Gravity was the place you went if you were a dancey dork. You know, Vanilla Ice looking guys and annoying girls.

The cool cats hung out at Off The Alley in Homewood. Cool D.J.'s on Friday nights playing Ministry, Pailhead, and stuff like that. Punk rock bands on Saturday nights. I frickin' saw Jawbreaker there when I was a teenager. Now that's a juice bar.

HomeFish
12-20-2004, 04:15 PM
Somebody ought to make a map of the area within 1-2 miles of the park (or however you define "walking distance") with places of interest marked.

ewokpelts
12-20-2004, 04:43 PM
Somebody ought to make a map of the area within 1-2 miles of the park (or however you define "walking distance") with places of interest marked.the sox publish a list of local watering holes by the cell

HomeFish
12-20-2004, 05:27 PM
the sox publish a list of local watering holes by the cell

Yeah, I've picked that up. I think it has restaurants too.

But it lacks one thing: a map. It doesn't matter if something is three blocks away if I don't know what direction it is in.

ewokpelts
12-21-2004, 05:04 AM
Yeah, I've picked that up. I think it has restaurants too.

But it lacks one thing: a map. It doesn't matter if something is three blocks away if I don't know what direction it is in.three words...: ask for directions....it's not like there arent phone numbers in there...give them a call...
Gene

alohafri
12-21-2004, 10:08 AM
I'm sure it's the same one. Those far southwest suburbs all sort of bleed together.
Don't say that! People in Naperville believe Chicago is a suburb of theirs!

alohafri
12-21-2004, 10:11 AM
It's been close to 10 years since I been there, but I used to go to Cobblestones, just a couple-few blocks from the park...

You could park in their parking lot for $10.00, but once you'd get $10.00 back in chips to spend at the bar...

Owner, his name was/is Jim I believe, great guy...Not sure if it's still there and if you could get in though...But if my memory serves me correct, I do recall seeing some of the younglings in there...Good food and you don't always have to drink beer!

HAHA, my first TEAL!!! :bandance:
Cobblestones is still there. I used to do the same thing, get the chips for beers after the game. I haven't been there in a few years, so I don't know if Jimmy still runs/works it. Jimmy is the only person I know that has forgotten more White Sox trivia than Torn Labrum knows. He is a great guy to boot! I need to stop in this season.