PDA

View Full Version : Kenny Williams.....Flashback

kruzer31
12-19-2004, 12:13 PM
As Tim Hudson and Mark Mulder were traded away, I am baffled that there was no talk of Kenny Williams going after either of them. The A's basically unloaded these two perenial Cy Young canidates for some prospects and the bum Juan Cruz. Maybe Billy Beane was set on shipping his two aces to the NL so he would not have to deal with them on another team in the AL , that is the only logic i can see why Kenny Willimas never got involved. I mean we are stressing pitching pitching pitching and one of these two guys would have won us the AL Central. Players like Kip Wells and Josh Fogg would have brought a Hudson or Mulder, instead, we got a Todd Ritchie. Now do you see what you can get when you trade a young talent like Kip Wells away Kenny? I dont hate Kenny Williams, I am just starting to agree with many posters he might be in the lower half of GM rankings when it comes to personel decisions. How much longer will we have to wait to have a legit playoff team.

Let the drought continue

Ol' No. 2
12-19-2004, 12:16 PM
As Tim Hudson and Mark Mulder were traded away, I am baffled that there was no talk of Kenny Williams going after either of them. The A's basically unloaded these two perenial Cy Young canidates for some prospects and the bum Juan Cruz. Maybe Billy Beane was set on shipping his two aces to the NL so he would not have to deal with them on another team in the AL , that is the only logic i can see why Kenny Willimas never got involved. I mean we are stressing pitching pitching pitching and one of these two guys would have won us the AL Central. Players like Kip Wells and Josh Fogg would have brought a Hudson or Mulder, instead, we got a Todd Ritchie. Now do you see what you can get when you trade a young talent like Kip Wells away Kenny? I dont hate Kenny Williams, I am just starting to agree with many posters he might be in the lower half of GM rankings when it comes to personel decisions. How much longer will we have to wait to have a legit playoff team.

Let the drought continueHow do you know Kenny never got involved? It's pretty plain to me that Beane wanted these guys in the NL. Any discussions Kenny had probably went nowhere.

BRDSR
12-19-2004, 12:22 PM
How do you know Kenny never got involved? It's pretty plain to me that Beane wanted these guys in the NL. Any discussions Kenny had probably went nowhere.
Besides that, I don't think that a trade is the way to go right now. We don't even have the prospects that Oakland would have wanted for one of those guys because we showcased them all last season in our 5th starter hole. None of them exactly screamed "Trade me for Tim Hudson." In order to get them for major league players it would have had to be our starters with a cheap contract and a big upside, a la Aaron Rowand. I'm sure he explored the option of trading with Oakland, but I bet it became apparent very quickly that this wasn't what the White Sox needed right now.

TheBull19
12-19-2004, 12:26 PM
One of the prospects they got was catcher Daric Barton, obviously the sox have no one that would fit that bill. Also included in the mulder trade were kiko calero, who already has pitched a year and a half in the majors in a middle relief role to the tune of 2.82 era and Danny Haren, a good prospect who's already got his feet wet in the majors without falling on his face, both of who will make little more than league minimum. No one on the sox really fits those descriptions, either.

In the Hudson trade, they got OFer Charles Thomas - here, the sox could have offered something they were looking for in Rowand, or Sweeney/Anderson, but Thomas has already put in a solid half+ season in the majors, so sweeney or anderson may not have fit there, and, depending whether Rowand comes close to matching last year's performance, could be getting a few mil a year through arbitration as soon as next winter. Dan Meyer, who according to Gammons the A's considered a top 5 pitching prospect and who they probably consider ready to step into the majors after a successful season between AA/AAA - I don't think the sox have any major pitching prospects that close - and Cruz who will probably make abot 500,000 this year and has a couple years to go before FA, and can step into the bullpen - the white sox only relievers making that little are Cotts and Adkins, neither of whom I can imagine the A's having much interest in.

AnkleSox
12-19-2004, 01:07 PM
Doesn't Mulder become a free agent in 2006 anyway? I think it's better that the sox didn't rent a one year player, when there's a chance that as a Sox fan he may sign with them come free agency.

santo=dorf
12-19-2004, 01:12 PM
Doesn't Mulder become a free agent in 2006 anyway? I think it's better that the sox didn't rent a one year player, when there's a chance that as a Sox fan he may sign with them come free agency.
Team option for $7.25 million in 2006.

Baines2Raines
12-19-2004, 02:13 PM

Let the drought continue
Did you not notice Mulder last year? Around August he was a lock to win the Cy Young. Then a hip injury that I still don't think is healed and will continue to bother Mulder for awhile acted up and he didn't win another game the whole season.

If KW made the trade, people would cry and say Mulder was hurt, KW gave up too much.

And I think it is clear as day that Beane didn't want any of his Big (In the regular season) Three in the AL.