PDA

View Full Version : Hairston Jr Non-Tendered Tomorrow?

Brian26
12-19-2004, 12:22 PM
There's a chance that Jerry Hairston Jr will be non-tendered tomorrow. Is there a chance that we could go after him? He would be a significant upgrade over Willie.

HomeFish
12-19-2004, 12:28 PM
It would make sense for us to add him.

That also means that we're not going to add him.

FightingBillini
12-19-2004, 12:29 PM
I think we should jump at him. I have heard that Kenny wasnt looking at him before, and then I have heard that he was, so I dont know what to believe. Hopefully KW has is eyes on Hairston.

Get it done, KW. Get it done.

santo=dorf
12-19-2004, 12:29 PM
nope
Even though they're not leaving a starting job open for him, the Orioles have no plans to non-tender Jerry Hairston Jr.
Jay Gibbons is a possibility to be non-tendered if he doesn't agree to a one-year deal. Hairston, who says he's 100 percent following ankle surgery, might be traded.
Source: Baltimore Sun (http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/bal-sp.orioles18dec18,1,2247796.story?coll=bal-sports-headlines)

mdep524
12-19-2004, 12:39 PM
There's a chance that Jerry Hairston Jr will be non-tendered tomorrow. Is there a chance that we could go after him? He would be a significant upgrade over Willie.
I read that in the paper this morning also and wanted to comment on it. If he is indeed non-tendered, which I doubt, he would be a solid pick up for the Sox.

Otherwise, I wonder how cheaply he would come in a trade.

HomeFish
12-19-2004, 12:40 PM
What's this about Belliard being non-tendered?

If the Sox picked him up, I'd seriously consider getting season tickets.

DumpJerry
12-19-2004, 12:47 PM
Weren't the O's trading him to the Flubs for Scammy? Or was that rumor another one of Hendry's pipe dreams to free up money for Beltran?

Ol' No. 2
12-19-2004, 12:51 PM
There's a chance that Jerry Hairston Jr will be non-tendered tomorrow. Is there a chance that we could go after him? He would be a significant upgrade over Willie.Up until last year he WAS Willie Harris.

Ol' No. 2
12-19-2004, 01:06 PM
Weren't the O's trading him to the Flubs for Scammy? Or was that rumor another one of Hendry's pipe dreams to free up money for Beltran?Somebody finally got around to asking Willie Randolph what he thought of the deal.

Lip Man 1
12-19-2004, 01:10 PM
FWIW: A few days ago I posted that I was told by a media member of the Tribune the Sox were looking strongly towards Alex Cora if he is non tendered tomorrow and then Hairston Jr.Lip

Brian26
12-19-2004, 01:15 PM
Somebody finally got around to asking Willie Randolph what he thought of the deal.
Why would Willie Randolph, manager of the Mets and former coach of the Yankees, care about a deal between the Cubs and Orioles?

Ol' No. 2
12-19-2004, 01:19 PM
Why would Willie Randolph, manager of the Mets and former coach of the Yankees, care about a deal between the Cubs and Orioles?Oops. Brain cramp. He probably killed the discussions the Mets were having about it. Substitute Mazzilli, who probably had much the same opinion.

santo=dorf
12-19-2004, 01:21 PM
FWIW: A few days ago I posted that I was told by a media member of the Tribune the Sox were looking strongly towards Alex Cora if he is non tendered tomorrow and then Hairston Jr.Lip
No surprise there considering bigger brother is the third base coach.

Soxzilla
12-19-2004, 01:27 PM
It would make sense for us to add him.

That also means that we're not going to add him.
Finally your cynicism pays off.:rolling:

Unfortunately I was going to say the exact same thing...

:KW
"This move would be so obvious that my clientele wouldn't even think of me to do it... Because I love to fly under the radar... which in turn wouldn't make this an obvious choice because I never make the obvious choice. Which in turn would allow me to say that I'm flying under the radar after I sign little Jerry. So the unobvious obvious choice of flying under the radar is fulfilled and thus opening a paradox where all humanity is sucked into an alternate world where the molecular structures of all living beings collapses unto itself and the human race is extinct."

Brian26
12-19-2004, 01:36 PM
Alex Cora's numbers aren't all that much better than Willie's. Not sure I like that move at all.

Rocklive99
12-19-2004, 01:38 PM
My cousin lives in Maryland and he works at the same hotel that the Orioles GM is staying at and he set up some recording devices in the indoor pool. Turns out it's going to be Hairston Jr. and Ponson for Borchard and Neal Cotts

Brian26
Up until last year he WAS Willie Harris.
Yeah, checking his numbers, they were very similar.

nodiggity59
Alex Cora's numbers aren't all that much better than Willie's. Not sure I like that move at all.
The main difference is that we know Alex can put up the numbers consitently. For all we know, last year was Willie's career year:redneck

DumpJerry
12-19-2004, 01:46 PM
My cousin lives in Maryland and he works at the same hotel that the Orioles GM is staying at and he set up some recording devices in the indoor pool. Turns out it's going to be Hairston Jr. and Ponson for Borchard and Neal CottsBorchard? Who is gonna hit those strikes ou.., I mean monster homers for us?

I still like Borchard for Chad Hutchinson.

Sox Mobile
12-19-2004, 02:23 PM
Hairston Jr is the hyperactive kid in class. He fits into the "scrappy player" category but his tendency to not look before he leaps is sometimes a recipe for disaster and injury. He will do anything to make the play but just ask Gibbons how many times Jerry has plowed into him in right field. sound familiar?

A couple years ago when Hairston was reading his own press, he was disiplined for being late to work outs, and was benched for his headcase antics after having a poor ABs.

Ozzie might love this guy but I dont know how the rest of the guys would like him when he charges into their territory and makes a nusance of himself on a regular basis.

I've seen Jerry make some incredible plays, but I fear he has used up many of his 9 lives alraady to make them!

PaleHoseGeorge
12-19-2004, 02:40 PM
Hairston Jr is the hyperactive kid in class. He fits into the "scrappy player" category but his tendency to not look before he leaps is sometimes a recipe for disaster and injury. ....
Yes, but is he a grinder?
:cool:

:KW
"Okay, just shuddup already!"

Jerome
12-19-2004, 03:23 PM
We already have Alex Cora on this team. His name is Willie Harris.

Hairston though would be a great move. He would be a good leadoff man for us, seeing as he hit like .300 and a .370 OBP last year. And the year before in more ABs he still had a real good average and a .350 OBP

Just in case the Podsednik we get turns out to be the 2004 version instead of the 2003, Hairston would be a fine leadoff.

Tragg
12-19-2004, 03:27 PM
The main difference is that we know Alex can put up the numbers consitently. For all we know, last year was Willie's career year:redneckHardly

Cora's played for 7 seasons and has had TWO decent offensive years, and they were NOT consecutive (a mighty .287 in 2003); in fact in his 7 seasons, he's had an OBP over .300 only three times and one of those was a lowly .302.

I think Harris is an excellent comparison to this guy; and Harris may end up being better

Plus, nepotism sucks

California Sox
12-19-2004, 03:50 PM
Cora plays in Dodger stadium. Harris plays at the Cell. Which is a better hitter's park? (Bonus points for anyone who can imagine what Willie would hit playing half his games in Dodger Stadium).

Either Hairston or Cora would be a great pickup. First of all, no one is saying "get rid of Harris" if you pick up one of these guys. We simply want to create competition at a position of weakness. Also, we want to lengthen our bench. (I know some people on this board see Wilson Valdez as the answer, but in that case "What's the question?") Cora's a superb second baseman and he can also play a very decent SS. Hairston is a good-looking hitter, who actually uses his speed to steal bases (as opposed to Willie). Also, either of these guys would come pretty cheap. What the heck is the downside? If they stink, release 'em for 2006.

Tragg
12-19-2004, 03:56 PM
Cora plays in Dodger stadium. Harris plays at the Cell. Which is a better hitter's park? (Bonus points for anyone who can imagine what Willie would hit playing half his games in Dodger Stadium).

If he can play SS that's a plus

What makes the Cell a hitter's park is the comparitive ease in hitting homeruns - not relevant in a harris/cora debate.

MRKARNO
12-19-2004, 03:57 PM

Either Hairston or Cora would be a great pickup. First of all, no one is saying "get rid of Harris" if you pick up one of these guys. We simply want to create competition at a position of weakness. Also, we want to lengthen our bench. (I know some people on this board see Wilson Valdez as the answer, but in that case "What's the question?") Cora's a superb second baseman and he can also play a very decent SS. Hairston is a good-looking hitter, who actually uses his speed to steal bases (as opposed to Willie). Also, either of these guys would come pretty cheap. What the heck is the downside? If they stink, release 'em for 2006.
The one issue I have with Cora is that he's a lefty too, which is why I'd probably advocate Ronnie Belliard over Cora

Soxzilla
12-19-2004, 04:00 PM
I read that scrappy player comment and I knew a KW grinder reference would follow shortly thereafter.:D:

batmanZoSo
12-19-2004, 04:39 PM
Hope so. He's the kind of player for the direction we're going. I'd like to put Pods and him one and two, then let Uribe and Rowand (each with 20+ homers) focus on driving in some runs. He can also steal 20-30 bases which Uribe can't do in the two hole. Last year in 86 games he batted .300 with a .378 on base with 29 walks. So he's pretty selective. Career wise he hasn't put up any great numbers, but he's very good at second from what I've seen and I just don't think Willie Harris knows how to hit big league pitching consistently. He's clueless at the plate.

Jjav829
12-19-2004, 04:47 PM
There seem to be a lot of candidates for non-tenders as far as second basemen go. I posted this in Talking Baseball, but Hairston, Belliard, Cora, Spivey, Ellis, and Jimenez are all possibly non-tenders. It will be interesting to see which ones do get non-tendered. There should be some more options for the Sox to look at for 2B help.

MRKARNO
12-19-2004, 04:51 PM
There seem to be a lot of candidates for non-tenders as far as second basemen go. I posted this in Talking Baseball, but Hairston, Belliard, Cora, Spivey, Ellis, and Jimenez are all possibly non-tenders. It will be interesting to see which ones do get non-tendered. There should be some more options for the Sox to look at for 2B help.
Is the deadline tonight or tomorrow night? I've heard conflicting reports

Jjav829
12-19-2004, 04:55 PM
Is the deadline tonight or tomorrow night? I've heard conflicting reports
Tomorrow night. Probably midnight eastern.

Soxzilla
12-19-2004, 05:03 PM
What is a guy like hairston projected to cost us? Or anyone for that matter?

And why hasn't there been any word on Perez ... now that Clement has been taken off the market!:angry:

TheBull19
12-19-2004, 05:05 PM
What makes the Cell a hitter's park is the comparitive ease in hitting homeruns - not relevant in a harris/cora debate.
What makes Dodger stadium a good pitchers park is its abundance of foul territory, which would be relevant.

DickAllen72
12-19-2004, 05:17 PM

I heard the Twins Luis Rivas may also be a non-tender. I wouldn't mind seeing him platoon with Willie at 2B for the Sox. Only problem is with Gload, Frank and Paulie all active we're running out of roster spots and we still need a backup at SS and 3B.

MRKARNO
12-19-2004, 05:21 PM
I heard the Twins Luis Rivas may also be a non-tender. I wouldn't mind seeing him platoon with Willie at 2B for the Sox. Only problem is with Gload, Frank and Paulie all active we're running out of roster spots and we still need a backup at SS and 3B.
If you think Rivas is a good option, you're nuts. The Twins have practically no one that can play 2B, yet they're considering nontendering Rivas. Harris is 20 times the player that Rivas is and any Twins fan will tell you that too.

Jabroni
12-19-2004, 05:23 PM
The one issue I have with Cora is that he's a lefty too, which is why I'd probably advocate Ronnie Belliard over CoraI would take a fat Ron Belliard in a second. Imagine that guy at The Cell. He would be Uribe Version 2 for us.

DrCrawdad
12-19-2004, 05:34 PM
Hairston Jr is the hyperactive kid in class. He fits into the "scrappy player" category but his tendency to not look before he leaps is sometimes a recipe for disaster and injury. He will do anything to make the play but just ask Gibbons how many times Jerry has plowed into him in right field. sound familiar?

A couple years ago when Hairston was reading his own press, he was disiplined for being late to work outs, and was benched for his headcase antics after having a poor ABs.

Ozzie might love this guy but I dont know how the rest of the guys would like him when he charges into their territory and makes a nusance of himself on a regular basis.

I've seen Jerry make some incredible plays, but I fear he has used up many of his 9 lives alraady to make them!

Count me in on any FOJHJr (Friends Of Jerry Hairston Jr). I don't believe that Jerry is troublesome headcase. I think Jerry is intense and competitive. A hardnosed player I'd love to see at 2nd base for the Sox.

I know Jerry Jr. is a Sox fan from his youth. He'd love to play for the White Sox. Jerry has known Ozzie & KW since he was a little kid as well as Jerry Reinsdorf and Roland Hemmond are good family friends and went to his wedding. I have no doubt that IF Jerry caused any trouble Ozzie & KW would get him right back in line. Plus Jerry's father is in the Sox organization and just a phone call away.

Jerry Hairston is the type of player that KW and Ozzie have professed to want on the Sox. Whether or not Jerry would actually work out remains to be seen. I know that Jerry would bust his (butt) trying though.

Jabroni
12-19-2004, 05:37 PM
Isn't it weird that two of our possible good 2nd base options are related to the White Sox somehow?

Joey Cora & Alex Cora
Jerry Hairston & Jerry Hairston Jr.

DickAllen72
12-19-2004, 05:38 PM
If you think Rivas is a good option, you're nuts. The Twins have practically no one that can play 2B, yet they're considering nontendering Rivas. Harris is 20 times the player that Rivas is and any Twins fan will tell you that too.

I really don't know too much about Rivas and I haven't seen much of him other than when I watched him play against the Sox. I know he's supposed to have some speed and is supposed to be a pretty good base stealer.

I'm a Willie Harris fan and I think he'll be fine at 2B for us. The only problem Willie has is hitting against leftys, and so my point was I wouldn't mind the Sox platooning him at 2B with someone. I'd much rather see the Sox get a guy who can back up at all three infield positions. Polanco would be a good pickup. I think Spivey plays a few positions as well.

I wouldn't mind seeing us get Belliard or Hairston either.

On a side note, it's interesting how the Twins can win division championships with a bum like Guzman at SS and with Rivas at 2B. :?:

MRKARNO
12-19-2004, 05:45 PM
On a side note, it's interesting how the Twins can win division championships with a bum like Guzman at SS and with Rivas at 2B. :?:
Five legit starters who are at least decent, an above average offense and a killer bullpen.

DickAllen72
12-19-2004, 05:49 PM
Five legit starters who are at least decent, an above average offense and a killer bullpen.

If that's all it takes, we're almost there! :wink:

Jabroni
12-19-2004, 05:49 PM
Five legit starters who are at least decent, an above average offense and a killer bullpen.I'd say mostly good hitting and great defense. Remember, Terry Mullholand was their 5th starter. :?:

MRKARNO
12-19-2004, 05:52 PM
I'd say mostly good hitting and great defense. Remember, Terry Mullholand was their 5th starter. :?:Their hitting hasnt been all that great and yes their defense has been pretty good too, but they really havent been a spectacular team. I really think if we signed Odalis Perez, we would have a better team than the Twins next year. BTW, when was the last time the Sox had a 5th starter that could at least post a 5 ERA? If we did, I think we would not have lost to them in 2003.

California Sox
12-19-2004, 06:07 PM
What makes Dodger stadium a good pitchers park is its abundance of foul territory, which would be relevant.
Additionally, many players don't pick up the ball well at Dodger Stadium, particularly at night. The batter's eye is mesh and cars drive around behind it with their lights on. Generally, you see lower batting averages and many more strikeouts at Chavez Ravine than in the average N.L. park. Ever since Albert Belle made the Sox get rid of that blue batter's eye, players have picked the ball up exceptionally well at New Comiskey/The Cell.

Tragg
12-19-2004, 06:35 PM
Fine - now how many times did he pop out last season in an area that would have been in the stands in the cell? Divide that number by 3 add it to his number of times on base, and you can get the comparative numbers. i.e. marginal difference