PDA

View Full Version : KW says: Will NOT Trade Konerko

fquaye149
12-19-2004, 10:00 AM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-041218sox,1,5689269.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

thank god.....now go sign us a pitcher.

naprvllesoxfan
12-19-2004, 10:08 AM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-041218sox,1,5689269.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

thank god.....now go sign us a pitcher.
Amen to that. Besides, my husband bought me a Konerko jersey for Christmas. I would hate to think it was outdated before I even get to wear it.

PaleHoseGeorge
12-19-2004, 10:28 AM
Actually there is no quote from KW in the story. The "adamant denial" was issued by a "Sox official."

This sounds like Scott Reifert and his media relations department. He's been wrong on occasion, but not very often... and I would trust him to accurately debunk something as utterly stupid as this circle jerk rumor that started Friday night in NY.

cbrownson13
12-19-2004, 10:32 AM
This from rotoworld.com

White Sox officials adamantly denied reports Saturday they were going to send Paul Konerko to the Dodgers as part of a trade for Javier Vazquez.
With Carlos Lee gone, the White Sox are no longer looking to move Konerko. They could put together a package without including Konerko (Aaron Rowand would fit well in L.A.), but they'd probably want some salary in there to offset what Vazquez is owed over the next three years.

I really really hope they don't trade Rowand. I'd rather see Konerko gone than Rowand. He makes less money, younger, and I think has a very big upside.

MRKARNO
12-19-2004, 10:33 AM
Actually there is no quote from KW in the story. The "adamant denial" was issued by a "Sox official."
There is a KW quote in the Sun Times article however:

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sports/cst-spt-sox19.html

"If there is a deal that makes sense for me to do something like that, I haven't seen it,'' Williams said.

Konerko is about as untradable as they get for Williams, who stopped just short of saying the first baseman absolutely will not be going anywhere.

"I never say never but geez. No,'' Williams said. "We had a plan [for a starting pitcher], and we executed the plan. It's unfortunate that part of the plan, that included the starting pitcher we were after, got blown out of the water with the Red Sox. We'll keep our focus in that direction.''[...]

"You can never say never because what if somebody is so desperate that you can get [Shawn] Green and Vazquez [for Konerko]?'' Williams said. "And then I have told everybody, 'No way, this guy can't be had.' Anybody can be had, but I tell you what, a whole lot of people have spent a lot of [wasted] energy trading Paul Konerko this offseason.

"As a matter of fact, I talked to Konerko two days ago to set up a golf game and said, 'Man, you've been traded an awful lot [in media reports].' He just laughed.''

PaleHoseGeorge
12-19-2004, 10:36 AM
There is a KW quote in the Sun Times article however:

Thanks for the link. Not only am I glad to hear the words quoted directly from KW's mouth, I'm glad to know the Sun-Times scooped the Cubune on this detail.

:thumbsup:

The Cubune editors were too busy doing a full-page splash on where Sammy Sosa might be going to bother covering the Sox.
:cool:

Brian26
12-19-2004, 10:40 AM
Thanks for the link. Not only am I glad to hear the words quoted directly from KW's mouth, I'm glad to know the Sun-Times scooped the Cubune on this detail.

:thumbsup:

The Cubune editors were too busy doing a full-page splash on where Sammy Sosa might be going to bother covering the Sox.
:cool:
That's the truth. The article in the Cubune this morning about PK not leaving was absolutely buried. Kudos to the Bright One. Funny quote from KW too- I'm surprised he actually all but admitted that he'd take Vasquez and Green for PK.

Jabroni
12-19-2004, 10:41 AM
"As a matter of fact, I talked to Konerko two days ago to set up a golf game and said, 'Man, you've been traded an awful lot [in media reports].' He just laughed.''Kenny's pretty funny. :tongue:

voodoochile
12-19-2004, 10:42 AM
That's the truth. The article in the Cubune this morning about PK not leaving was absolutely buried. Kudos to the Bright One. Funny quote from KW too- I'm surprised he actually all but admitted that he'd take Vasquez and Green for PK.
Who wouldn't?

PaleHoseGeorge
12-19-2004, 10:43 AM
This is looking more and more like somebody in NY (either the Yankees or Mets) wanted to find out if the Sox would let Paul Konerko go. As usual, the NY sports media was more than happy to oblige this "unattributed source" with ink and column inches. Once again, what a pisshole bad excuse for a profession they prove themselves to be...

Here's the speculation we OUGHT to be talking about: Which NY ballclub would have the most interest in getting Paul Konerko thrown into the mix of available ballplayers -- either for themselves or for some other third party deal they're trying to swing?

One way or another, the "unattributed source" got exactly the information they wanted to know. Paul Konerko is not available. Now everybody go towel off and change your shorts.

Brian26
12-19-2004, 10:50 AM
Who wouldn't?
Of course it's a great trade. I'm just saying you don't hear GM's out-and-out say "I'd take that in a second" and attribute names to it. It's not quite tampering, but it is blatant. Certainly it is not flying under the radar :smile:

Brian26
12-19-2004, 10:52 AM
Here's the speculation we OUGHT to be talking about: Which NY ballclub would have the most interest in getting Paul Konerko thrown into the mix of available ballplayers -- either for themselves or for some other third party deal they're trying to swing?

That's a no-brainer. FWIW, the Yankee$ have been eyeing Konerko for years. Zimmer and Torre, about 5 yrs ago, were quoted as saying they talked about how solid PK was when the Sox played the Yankees and thought he was going to be a great hitter. Since they are throwing Ishii in, why not send them PK for free too, right? :angry:

balke
12-19-2004, 11:08 AM
I would've loved to rob the Yankees blind for Konerko. He's just the type of publicity they are looking for. I'm sure we would have, had the team not already given up Lee. We may be too short on power this season, which is just awkward to think after last seasons onslaught of dingers. I'm not expecting frank back til July, no matter what anyone tells me, and I don't have faith that Everett will be his old self next year. We need a Konerko here now to drive in runs.

SEALgep
12-19-2004, 11:09 AM
Of course it's a great trade. I'm just saying you don't hear GM's out-and-out say "I'd take that in a second" and attribute names to it. It's not quite tampering, but it is blatant. Certainly it is not flying under the radar :smile:All he was saying was that it would take an overwhelming offer to get PK, a move that would no doubt make us better. I don't see why that needs to be an under the radar scenerio. It's not tampering to say you would do this trade, it's tampering when you say I can't wait for this guy to be a FA so we can sign him up.

Fredsox
12-19-2004, 11:13 AM
So what are the moves? If we know the payroll won't exceed $75 million and we know PK is not going anywhere, we need to fill the following holes:
1. Starting pitcher, preferably a #3 or better
2. Catcher
3. Shortstop or 2nd base defense

Offensively we could still use some batting average, not necessarily power but that would not hurt either. Can we add Perez, Pierzynski, and a defensive infielder without going over the number?

Brian26
12-19-2004, 11:20 AM
All he was saying was that it would take an overwhelming offer to get PK, a move that would no doubt make us better. I don't see why that needs to be an under the radar scenerio. It's not tampering to say you would do this trade, it's tampering when you say I can't wait for this guy to be a FA so we can sign him up.
And he all but admitted that Matt Clement was their choice with the extra money from the CLee trade.

Lip Man 1
12-19-2004, 12:13 PM
There still are some starting pitchers out there who would be upgrades over the current / projected back end of the Sox rotation.

They need to sign one.

Lip

Brian26
12-19-2004, 12:20 PM
There still are some starting pitchers out there who would be upgrades over the current / projected back end of the Sox rotation.

They need to sign one.

Lip
Derek Lowe!

Ol' No. 2
12-19-2004, 12:23 PM

They need to sign one.

LipTrouble is, IMO there aren't many who would be a significant enough upgrade to be worth the long-term committment. Perez is the logical next choice. After that I'd pass on the rest. Orlando Hernandez might be worth a flier only because he could be had without the long-term committment. At least then they would still have options open for a mid-season acqusition.

bafiarocks03
12-19-2004, 12:36 PM
Thank God, finally some sense....!

TheBull19
12-19-2004, 01:12 PM
Trouble is, IMO there aren't many who would be a significant enough upgrade to be worth the long-term committment. Perez is the logical next choice. After that I'd pass on the rest. Orlando Hernandez might be worth a flier only because he could be had without the long-term committment. At least then they would still have options open for a mid-season acqusition.The pickings ARE mighty slim. I wouldn't be upset if KW rolled the dice on Millwood or Milton for a 2 year contract, if that's what it took. The alternative is not all that attractive to me, and I'd rather he did that than wait until the half when we'd have to give up prospects to get a pitcher who probably wouldn't be much better anyway. Of course, if he just signs Perez that would be the best scenerio.

Jerome
12-19-2004, 02:28 PM
Kenny's pretty funny. :tongue: [/font]

As a FOBB, I think your sig is hilarious.

Great news hearing that Konerko won't be traded.

c4birdiemaker
12-19-2004, 03:02 PM
i wouldn't make that trade voodoo. green stinks and vazquez didn't get anybody out 2nd half last year. don't be so quick to get rid of a young leader and run producer. those other 2 guys are bums. pk anchors our diamond for the next 10 years. Who wouldn't?

voodoochile
12-19-2004, 04:22 PM
i wouldn't make that trade voodoo. green stinks and vazquez didn't get anybody out 2nd half last year. don't be so quick to get rid of a young leader and run producer. those other 2 guys are bums. pk anchors our diamond for the next 10 years.
:hawk
"your WHAT hurts?"

You honestly think PK is worth the money he is going to ask for?

Jabroni
12-19-2004, 04:34 PM
:hawk
"your WHAT hurts?"

You honestly think PK is worth the money he is going to ask for?Agreed, but is Shawn Green really worth the $16 million he is making and is Javier Vazquez worth the $11.5 million a year he is making?

voodoochile
12-19-2004, 04:39 PM
Agreed, but is Shawn Green really worth the $16 million he is making and is Javier Vazquez worth the $11.5 million a year he is making?
No, and that would be the sole sticking point in the deal. The Sox would neer agree to take on that much additional salary, but purely from a talent perspective, you would have to make that deal.

Which (as another poster pointed out earlier) is what KW was trying to say, IMO. Knock my socks off with a ridiculous offer and no one is untouchable...

TheBull19
12-19-2004, 04:59 PM
Who wouldn't?

The Sox would never agree to take on that much additional salary
I guess you resolved that brainteaser.

voodoochile
12-19-2004, 05:57 PM
I guess you resolved that brainteaser.
Okay, allow me to rephrase...

Who wouldn't make that trade based on talent exchange alone?

MHOUSE
12-19-2004, 06:28 PM
You would rather be on the hook for Shawn Green's $16 million next year and Javier Vasquez's $34 million over the next three years all taking into account that Vasquez had a godawful 2nd half last year and Paulie had better offensive numbers than Green while making half the money? I think you'd be nuts to do that deal. Paulie is the heart of our team IMO. Paulie....Paulie....Paulie!

HITMEN OF 77
12-19-2004, 06:57 PM
I don't see why we don't get E Lo back. He wouldn't be that bad in the 5 spot or even 4th IMO.

MHOUSE
12-19-2004, 07:03 PM
Lo-Lo is worth another minor-league contract, but I guarantee that someone will offer him 1-2 guaranteed years. He was awful last year for the Yankees. I think 2003 was just a career year. He earned it with the new cutter and better approach, but once the league figured him out, he got lit up last year. He needs to adjust again though. Plus I got the impression that we left on bad terms.

Lip Man 1
12-19-2004, 07:50 PM
Ol. No. 2 says: "At least then they would still have options open for a mid-season acqusition."
I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you however the real risk is that another half season of Grilli, Munoz, Diaz, Moe, Larry, Curly and Pee Wee Herman in the 5th spot could help put the Sox in a position where they won't need to get anybody in July....they'll be out of it and selling instead of buying.

Plus as everyone knows the price of 'pitching poker' goes up at the deadline. Are you willing to risk the Sox having to trade an Anderson or a Sweeney to get what they desperately need?

I don't see how taking a shot at Perez or Milton on a three year deal handicapps the organization. I'd also add Millwood but he's a Scott Boras client and well you know the rest...

Lip

Jabroni
12-19-2004, 11:53 PM
As a FOBB, I think your sig is hilarious.

Great news hearing that Konerko won't be traded.Why thank you. It kind of sucks though cuz I had to do it in MS Paint. I have to do another one in PhotoShop. :wink:

Ol' No. 2
12-20-2004, 09:17 AM
Ol. No. 2 says: "At least then they would still have options open for a mid-season acqusition."
I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you however the real risk is that another half season of Grilli, Munoz, Diaz, Moe, Larry, Curly and Pee Wee Herman in the 5th spot could help put the Sox in a position where they won't need to get anybody in July....they'll be out of it and selling instead of buying.

Plus as everyone knows the price of 'pitching poker' goes up at the deadline. Are you willing to risk the Sox having to trade an Anderson or a Sweeney to get what they desperately need?

I don't see how taking a shot at Perez or Milton on a three year deal handicapps the organization. I'd also add Millwood but he's a Scott Boras client and well you know the rest...

LipPerez I agree with. Milton is not a good fit for pitching in Coors East. That 43 HR pitching for Philadelphia might turn into 83. I wouldn't rule out Millwood just because he's Boras client, but he really doesn't thrill me, either. I guess the main point is, I wouldn't want to offer a long-term contract on a marginal pitcher, because if you know you're going to be stuck with him for several years, that can handicap you in making any other moves. That's really why I like Orlando Hernandez if nothing else works out. He's relatively cheap, he's likely to pitch pretty well if he's not overused, and he'll probably sign a shorter-term contract. And he puts Grilli, Diaz and the rest back where they belong.

samram
12-20-2004, 09:24 AM
Perez I agree with. Milton is not a good fit for pitching in Coors East. That 43 HR pitching for Philadelphia might turn into 83. I wouldn't rule out Millwood just because he's Boras client, but he really doesn't thrill me, either. I guess the main point is, I wouldn't want to offer a long-term contract on a marginal pitcher, because if you know you're going to be stuck with him for several years, that can handicap you in making any other moves. That's really why I like Orlando Hernandez if nothing else works out. He's relatively cheap, he's likely to pitch pretty well if he's not overused, and he'll probably sign a shorter-term contract. And he puts Grilli, Diaz and the rest back where they belong.
Milton probably isn't a great fit, but I think that new ballpark in Philly is also a launching pad, so his homers wouldn't go up too much, but he seems to be a guy that wins a lot of 6-5 games, and the Philly offense of last year is better than what the Sox 2005 lineup is right now (on paper).

I do like the El Duque idea more and more.

Hangar18
12-20-2004, 09:52 AM
So what are the moves? If we know the payroll won't exceed $75 million and we know PK is not going anywhere, we need to fill the following holes:
1. Starting pitcher, preferably a #3 or better
2. Catcher
3. Shortstop or 2nd base defense

Offensively we could still use some batting average, not necessarily power but that would not hurt either. Can we add Perez, Pierzynski, and a defensive infielder without going over the number?
Whats funny about the No. 1, 2, 3, is THESE ARE THE SAME HOLES FROM 2004. and the same Holes from the 2003 season. and the 2002 season.
I Like how the sox are "making some deals", yet somehow, the only thing
I saw happen, was we cut payroll and got WORSE offensively losing
Lee and Ordonez.