PDA

View Full Version : Mulder to Cards

NSSoxFan2
12-18-2004, 07:26 PM
Just heard it on ESPN1000...

Cards deal Danny Haren, Kiki Calero, and C Daric Barton for Mulder!!!

WHERE ARE U AT KENNY!!??

Jabroni
12-18-2004, 07:29 PM
NOOOOOO!!!

Well, at least screws the Cubs a bit. :wink:

mdep524
12-18-2004, 07:31 PM
Hellllllo??? Ken Williams??? Is anyone home? Unless Billy Beane seriously refused to trade with a team in the AL, I think KW really dropped the ball on Hudson AND Mulder. :angry:

Jabroni
12-18-2004, 07:34 PM
Hellllllo??? Ken Williams??? Is anyone home? Unless Billy Beane seriously refused to trade with a team in the AL, I think KW really dropped the ball on Hudson AND Mulder. :angry:I heard that Beane didn't want to trade Hudson to an A.L. team so maybe that's why.

At least we may actually be able to beat the A's in Oakland now. They just lost the best two pitchers of their "Big 3". :thumbsup:

A's fans must be going nuts right now. The great Billy Beane is dismantling his great rotation. :tongue:

santo=dorf
12-18-2004, 07:36 PM
Hellllllo??? Ken Williams??? Is anyone home? Unless Billy Beane seriously refused to trade with a team in the AL, I think KW really dropped the ball on Hudson AND Mulder. :angry:
I'm almost 99.9999999% sure that Beano would've asked for McCarthy, and if KW gave him up, we wouldn't hear the end of how great Beane is and how stupid KW is.

Good to see Mulder wearing Cardinal Red. Does this mean we'll actually take a series out in Oakland this year?

NSSoxFan2
12-18-2004, 07:38 PM
I think MDep might have hit it on the head here. Beane most likely didn't want to trade either Hudson or Mulder to the AL. The A's really don't have a decent pitching staff anymore. Zito was more than hittable last year, Harden looked good, but you never know.

Interesting!!

Jabroni
12-18-2004, 07:39 PM
"A's get two pitchers, minor league catcher"
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1949157
The Oakland Athletics continued to wheel and deal Saturday, sending starting pitcher Mark Mulder to the St. Louis Cardinals for pitchers Danny Haren, Kiko Calero and catcher Daric Barton, ESPN's Peter Gammons has learned.I can't wait to see how the FOBB try to spin this one. :tongue: :rolleyes:

NSSoxFan2
12-18-2004, 07:42 PM
It is sad to see a team like the A's lose their power players over the years because of the financial situation that baseball is in right now. It will be interesting to see if the A's of 2005 make a September run for the playoffs like they have for the past four to five seasons.

southsideirish71
12-18-2004, 07:45 PM
Its up on ESPNs website

Jabroni
12-18-2004, 07:45 PM
http://rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.asp?sport=MLB&id=6393
Latest News Dec. 18, 2004 - 7:27 pm et

ESPNews is reporting that Mark Mulder has been traded to the Cardinals for Danny Haren, Daric Barton and Kiko Calero.
Just one ace left. Barry Zito may stick around for now, but with the A's reloading, it would be a surprise if he remained with the team until his contract expires following 2006. Considering that Mulder has two years left on his deal, he should have had at least as much trade value as Hudson. This is a similar package to what the A's received from the Braves. Haren will take Mulder's rotation spot. Barton is an excellent prospect, though he's not likely to stay behind the plate. Calero gives the team another quality bullpen arm.Is now the time for KW to make a move for Barry Zito, hope he stops smoking the weed, and has a more productive season in 2005? Zito has a very reasonable contract including his 2006 team option...

http://img138.exs.cx/img138/397/barryzito0ds.jpg

SoxFan76
12-18-2004, 07:46 PM
Countdown until this is moved to Talking Baseball starts now...

Well that's another option knocked off the list. Glad to see the Sox are on top of things.

Win1ForMe
12-18-2004, 07:56 PM
On a sidenote, the A's will be such a suckfest this year. Hawk is going to be in prime form with the anti-Beane gloating.

:hawk
"Once you take away the three 20-game winners, we'll see how smart you are then."

Here's to you, Hawk!
:gulp:

jabrch
12-18-2004, 07:56 PM
I'm guessing Beane had absolutely no interest in seeing his guys in the AL. I'm wondering why no team would pay more than Haren, Calero and a prospect...

FOBB have been awfully quite while the legend dismantled the team. The smell like a .500 team next year - possibly last place in their division given the moves Seattle made.

MHOUSE
12-18-2004, 07:57 PM
Per ESPN.com (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1949157)

Mulder for Kiko Calero, Danny Haren, and a top-tier catching prospect. Are they A's going for a total rebuild? This one doesn't make sense to me.

Jabroni
12-18-2004, 07:57 PM
I'm guessing Beane had absolutely no interest in seeing his guys in the AL. I'm wondering why no team would pay more than Haren, Calero and a prospect...

FOBB have been awfully quite while the legend dismantled the team. The smell like a .500 team next year - possibly last place in their division given the moves Seattle made.I love it! :tongue: No FOBB will be showing their faces here. The A's are destined for suckitude for years to come. I can't wait till they trade Zito and their entire "Big Three" are on other teams! :bandance:

Win1ForMe
12-18-2004, 08:00 PM
Hellllllo??? Ken Williams??? Is anyone home? Unless Billy Beane seriously refused to trade with a team in the AL, I think KW really dropped the ball on Hudson AND Mulder. :angry:I'm guessing that has to be it (his refusal to trade within the AL), although there were some Zito-to-Baltimore rumors. Either way, these are bad trades for Beane. I could come up with a better return of players without even trying.

FarWestChicago
12-18-2004, 08:00 PM
I love it! :tongue: No FOBB will be showing their faces here. The A's are destined for suckitude for years to come. I can't wait till they trade Zito and their entire "Big Three" are on other teams! :bandance:You underestimate the FOBB's. One will be here soon touting this as the new Trade of the Century. http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

Jabroni
12-18-2004, 08:02 PM
I'm guessing that has to be it (his refusal to trade within the AL), although there were some Zito-to-Baltimore rumors. Either way, these are bad trades for Beane. I could come up with a better return of players without even trying.I know. Look at the names of the guys Beane is trading for. Not impressive at all.

I don't even think that the FOBB will try to defend these two trades.

ChiWhiteSox1337
12-18-2004, 08:09 PM
This is great for us sox fans....mulder gets to pitch against the real evil empire AND hopefully this will end the white sox' streak of terrible records on the west coast.

soltrain21
12-18-2004, 08:12 PM
I know. Look at the names of the guys Beane is trading for. Not impressive at all.

I wouldn't say that, he is getting some good young arms out of the deal.

However, there is no way they can compete in that division, so I have no idea what he is doing. Zito was obviously the worst of the bunch, too.

MHOUSE
12-18-2004, 08:15 PM
This trade makes little sense to me. Mulder had two years left on his contract and now you're left with Zito as your best pitcher. Rich Harden and Danny Haren at #2 and #3 is a scary sign. Unless the A's drop the money they saved on a Odalis Perez or Derek Lowe, they're in deep trouble. Nice bullpen, but that rotation looks awful right now if they're expecting to contend. Is this the A's rebuilding project?

Lose: RHP Hudson, LHP Mulder

Get:
(MLB) OF Charles Thomas, RHP Juan Cruz, RHP Kiko Calero, RHP Danny Haren
(Prospects) LHP Dan Meyer, C Daric Barton

That doesn't even out.....

Brian26
12-18-2004, 08:17 PM
Glad to see the Cardinals get Mulder to fill in the gap in their rotation. I just hope the Astros can re-sign Beltran and make the crybabies 2005 season really difficult.

FarWestChicago
12-18-2004, 08:19 PM
:fobbgod:

Since I have more fans on the South Side of Chicago than I do in Oakland, I decided to send a gift to the Cards.

Tavarin
12-18-2004, 08:27 PM
I thought this deal wasn't very good when I first heard about it, but if you realize that NAC is a pitcher's park, and Mulder crashed and burned in the 2nd half, it's not that bad a deal.

It's definitely questionable when coming off of the Hudson deal, but Meyer is one of the best pitching prospects in the league, and Hudson probably would have walked anyway.

It seems that the Big Three have been some of the most overrated pitchers in baseball the last few years. They are good pitchers, but Mulder and Zito have fallen a lot the last couple years, probably because of the lack of Rick Peterson

Mulder had an ERA over 6 after the All Star Break last year, including an 11+ ERA in his last 4 starts. He also has a possible recurring hip problem that has hurt him a lot the last couple seasons

And because Oakland lost him, Ray Rotto of the San Francisco Chronicle thinks they're going to finish 65-97. You'd think reporters would do some research into what they're reporting on...

MRKARNO
12-18-2004, 08:28 PM
From the A's perspective:

They probably could have gotten bigger names for Mulder, but they didnt make out so terribly. Calero should bolster their very weak bullpen (with the exception of Dotel) immediately. Danny Haren will probably make a serviceable starter for the A's in the short term while they wait on their other prospects to make an impact in the long term. This Barton kid is a Billy Beane dream prospect. He hit .313 with a .445 OBP in low-A in 313 at bats as well as 13 homers. 69 walks and 44 K's. That's incredible plate discipline and that lends him to being very likely to repeat his success on the higher levels. The A's just did OK here, but that Barton kid's potential is very high.

From the Cards perspective:

The bullpen is solid enough already so Calero is expendable and there is no need for Haren if you've got Mulder. Barton is the price of being in a win-now mode and having one of the games' great lefties for 3 years at the prime of his career. Their rotation goes from being mediocre to one of the best in the NL immediately. The only difference in the rotation now is that Williams left and Mulder's in. Morris's improvement will offset Marquis's regression and I dont think Carpenter will fall off much. Despite the loss of Renteria, Womack and Matheny, they still have to be the favorites for the NL Central because of that rotation and a much more solid bullpen than the Cubs or Astros. Great move by Walt Jocketty.

SOXit2EM
12-18-2004, 08:31 PM
Too bad KW couldn't have swung a trade for him. Not only is he Sox fan, but he sure would have filled that top of the rotation void we have nicely. :(:

chisoxmike
12-18-2004, 09:52 PM
I haven't paid attention to the moves the A's are making this week, can someone explain to me why they are breaking up the rotation? Sounds like that isn't a smart thing to do. Are they trying to dump $$$?

I'm just glad this has happend for 2 reasons 1) they are in the NL, we won't have to deal with them, Konerko wont go 0-4 on the days Mulder pitches against us. 2) We may now win more than 1 game in Oakland this season! :)

Jjav829
12-18-2004, 09:58 PM
Saw this on rotoworld:

Right-hander Kiko Calero was traded from the Cardinals to the A's in a four-player deal.
The A's have a loaded pen now. Calero joins Octavio Dotel, Chad Bradford, Ricardo Rincon, Juan Cruz, Justin Duchscherer, Tyler Johnson, Huston Street, Jairo Garcia, Chris Mabeus and Tim Harikkala as possibilities. The A's will probably carry 12 pitchers for a change, but it's still not looking good for the youngsters. Bradford could be non-tendered. Calero, who turns 30 next month, had a 2.80 ERA and 98 strikeouts in 83 2/3 IP for the Cardinals over the last two seasons. He'll be a quality middle man for Oakland

OMG! Would :worship: Billy Beane really non-tender the best relief pitcher of all time, Chad Bradford? What would happen if the Sox brought Bradford back? Would the FOBB spontaneously combust as KW brings back the man that Beane robbed from the White Sox? Just wondering...

ma-gaga
12-18-2004, 10:15 PM
One will be here soon touting this as the new Trade of the Century.
You mock the power of the Beane. This trade restocks the A's farm system for YEARS! This is the team of the new century!!!

California Sox
12-18-2004, 10:21 PM
Too bad KW couldn't have swung a trade for him. Not only is he Sox fan, but he sure would have filled that top of the rotation void we have nicely. :(:
Now the Sox have a leftie rooting for the Cards and the Cards have a leftie who can root for the Sox. :cool:

Soxzilla
12-18-2004, 10:39 PM
You mock the power of the Beane. This trade restocks the A's farm system for YEARS! This is the team of the new century!!!
Until they have to trade them away again in a few years that is...:D:

Jjav829
12-18-2004, 11:27 PM
Jason Kendall must be pissed right now. He gets traded from Pittsburgh to Oakland and is thinking, "Great. I'm on a contender. I finally get to work with some really good pitchers. I'm happy to be here." Now suddenly he's thinking, "What the hell. I'm back on the Pirates. We won't be contending for a year or two. Our two best pitchers have been traded away. Please trade me somewhere else."

Speaking of which, Beane's gotta trade Kendall again, right? It makes no sense for him to hold onto Kendall. He might as well go into full re-build mold. By the time his new young pitching core is ready to lead the team, Kendall will be 2 years older and most likely looking for a new position. He'd be better off trading Kendall to try to get another good, young prospect and fully re-building.

Soxzilla
12-18-2004, 11:32 PM
Jason Kendall must be pissed right now. He gets traded from Pittsburgh to Oakland and is thinking, "Great. I'm on a contender. I finally get to work with some really good pitchers. I'm happy to be here." Now suddenly he's thinking, "What the hell. I'm back on the Pirates. We won't be contending for a year or two. Our two best pitchers have been traded away. Please trade me somewhere else."

Speaking of which, Beane's gotta trade Kendall again, right? It makes no sense for him to hold onto Kendall. He might as well go into full re-build mold. By the time his new young pitching core is ready to lead the team, Kendall will be 2 years older and most likely looking for a new position. He'd be better off trading Kendall to try to get another good, young prospect and fully re-building.
Mmmmm....

How about Kendall/Zito to the Sox for Diaz/Burke/Sweeney and Marte?

MRKARNO
12-18-2004, 11:43 PM
I'm thinking they hold onto Kendall until at least halfway through next year, probably until the end of 2006. They have a TON of catching prospects in the system (Jon Baker, Jeremy Brown, Landon Powell, Kurt Suzuki and now Barton) . I think Beane's plan is to use 2005 for development and then make a run at contending as early as 2006, so having a proven catcher like Kendall for 2006 will really be good. Keep in mind this team's offense isnt that bad I dont think:

1B Hatteberg
2B Ginter
SS Crosby
3B Chavez
C Kendall
LF Swisher?
RF Byrnes
CF Kotsay
DH Durazo

That lineup is not all that bad.
Their pitching staff is also one that could be very good in the near future (Haren, Harden, Meyer, Blanton and if they keep Zito, him)

The A's arent really in such dire straits, but Beane doesnt see the A's contending in 2005, so it didnt make sense to keep them on the roster when they could rebuild for the future.

Jerome
12-19-2004, 12:37 AM
I'm trying to spin this one, but can't since I've never heard of any of the guys.

That guy with the .445 OBP sounded pretty good. Other than that?

Unless the A's want to be watching the playoffs at home again, the guys I have heard of (Swisher, Harden, Blanton) better step it up. That's a lot to ask of young guys.

Jerome
12-19-2004, 12:41 AM
On a sidenote, the A's will be such a suckfest this year. Hawk is going to be in prime form with the anti-Beane gloating.

:hawk
"Once you take away the three 20-game winners, we'll see how smart you are then."

Here's to you, Hawk!
:gulp:

LOL

I know Hawk doesn't like BB, but can anyone help me coming up with specific things Hawk has said?

dcb33
12-19-2004, 01:45 AM
http://www.forums.mlb.com/n/mb/message.asp?webtag=ml-cubs&msg=132218.1&ctx=0

It will be fun to watch Mr. Mulder shut these morons up.

My favorite part:
"This year he might make a good 5th starter, but if Rusch did as well as he did last year Mulder wouldn't even crack the Cubs rotation."

brewerfan
12-19-2004, 02:23 AM
Rusch did suck for us in '03, but if you look last year, I don't know how but his ERA was .70 points lower than Mulder's. Kinda shocking.

Soxzilla
12-19-2004, 02:27 AM
Rusch did suck for us in '03, but if you look last year, I don't know how but his ERA was .70 points lower than Mulder's. Kinda shocking.
He also pitches in the national league tho...

doublem23
12-19-2004, 03:06 AM
I'm almost 99.9999999% sure that Beano would've asked for McCarthy, and if KW gave him up, we wouldn't hear the end of how great Beane is and how stupid KW is.

Good to see Mulder wearing Cardinal Red. Does this mean we'll actually take a series out in Oakland this year?
http://mlb.mlb.com/images/players/action/ph_150477.jpg
Yes, since I ain't around either.

batmanZoSo
12-19-2004, 04:42 AM

I don't think we'd have heard anything except possibly "Mulder throws a shutout and the White Sox are world champs." Or maybe "what ever happened to that McCarthy kid?"

Chrisaway
12-19-2004, 05:06 AM

My favorite part:
"This year he might make a good 5th starter, but if Rusch did as well as he did last year Mulder wouldn't even crack the Cubs rotation."
Hahaha!!! My god Mark Mulder will dominate in the NL (as will Hudson).

Jabroni
12-19-2004, 05:09 AM

My favorite part:
"This year he might make a good 5th starter, but if Rusch did as well as he did last year Mulder wouldn't even crack the Cubs rotation."Comparing Glendon Rusch to Mark Mulder? Good lord, someone's drinking too much Cubbie Kool-Aid or smoking too much crack for that matter. :rolleyes:

Jabroni
12-19-2004, 05:37 AM
I wonder if the Billy Beane loving stat-heads like jeremyb and da_dawg will show their faces here after their savior traded away his two best pitchers. :tongue:

Jjav829
12-19-2004, 10:26 AM

My favorite part:
:roflmao:

Only on a Cubs board can you find an argument that Glendon Rusch is better than Mark Mulder.

But he had a higher ERA last year!!! :redneck

MRKARNO
12-19-2004, 10:40 AM
I'm sure you can attest to the likelihood that Rusch's year last year was a fluke. Everything seemed to go right for him, but there is the possibility that it wasnt, but more than likely it was. Mulder indeed had a bad second half last year, but I think in St. Louis with their good defense, coupled with the AL/NL switch, he's going to be very good, especially if they succeed in signing both Cabrera and Polanco as has been rumored. The question now is who of the following three will they have money to sign now?: Pierzynski, Polanco and Cabrera.

Jjav829
12-19-2004, 11:45 AM
I'm thinking they hold onto Kendall until at least halfway through next year, probably until the end of 2006. They have a TON of catching prospects in the system (Jon Baker, Jeremy Brown, Landon Powell, Kurt Suzuki and now Barton) . I think Beane's plan is to use 2005 for development and then make a run at contending as early as 2006, so having a proven catcher like Kendall for 2006 will really be good. Keep in mind this team's offense isnt that bad I dont think:

1B Hatteberg
2B Ginter
SS Crosby
3B Chavez
C Kendall
LF Swisher?
RF Byrnes
CF Kotsay
DH Durazo

That lineup is not all that bad.
Their pitching staff is also one that could be very good in the near future (Haren, Harden, Meyer, Blanton and if they keep Zito, him)

The A's arent really in such dire straits, but Beane doesnt see the A's contending in 2005, so it didnt make sense to keep them on the roster when they could rebuild for the future.
But you don't go trade for a guy like Kendall to develop young pitchers. Kendall is a here-and-now guy. You get him to win now. He's not a catcher you bring in to help develop young pitchers. If that was Beane's intent, he'd be better off re-signing Damian Miller to help guys like Haren, Meyer, and Blanton grow. Either that or if he is so confident in his Moneyball catchers, bring up a Jeremy Brown early and let him start working with the young pitchers and developing a repoire with them. If the A's aren't near contention by the trading deadline, Beane's gotta look to dump Kendall.

MRKARNO
12-19-2004, 11:46 AM
But you don't go trade for a guy like Kendall to develop young pitchers. Kendall is a here-and-now guy. You get him to win now. He's not a catcher you bring in to help develop young pitchers. If that was Beane's intent, he'd be better off re-signing Damian Miller to help guys like Haren, Meyer, and Blanton grow. Either that or if he is so confident in his Moneyball catchers, bring up a Jeremy Brown early and let him start working with the young pitchers and developing a repoire with them. If the A's aren't near contention by the trading deadline, Beane's gotta look to dump Kendall.
But I think Beane expects the A's to be in contention in 2006 with a mediocre shot of it happening this year. He wants Kendall to appease the fans in 2005 and to win in 2006 and beyond.

Jjav829
12-19-2004, 11:50 AM
I'm sure you can attest to the likelihood that Rusch's year last year was a fluke. Everything seemed to go right for him, but there is the possibility that it wasnt, but more than likely it was. Mulder indeed had a bad second half last year, but I think in St. Louis with their good defense, coupled with the AL/NL switch, he's going to be very good, especially if they succeed in signing both Cabrera and Polanco as has been rumored. The question now is who of the following three will they have money to sign now?: Pierzynski, Polanco and Cabrera.
The Cards should be able to sign Cabrera and Polanco. The market for Cabrera is really bare. I know the Mariners had some interest, but with Beltre and Sexson signing there, I think they are done looking for position players. It seems like the Cards are the best fit for him. As for Polanco, he screwed up. He should have signed by now. There is a very good chance that the 2B market is flooded by the non-tenders tomorrow. Belliard, Cora, Spivey, Ellis, and Hairston Jr. are names that could all be non-tenders. I'm sure they won't all be non-tendered (especially Hairston). Right now Polanco is the best 2B available. If even 2 or 3 of the guys listed here become available, Polanco's going to lose some money.

Jjav829
12-19-2004, 11:52 AM
But I think Beane expects the A's to be in contention in 2006 with a mediocre shot of it happening this year. He wants Kendall to appease the fans in 2005 and to win in 2006 and beyond.But how does Jason Kendall appease the fans? Any smart A's fan would realize that trading Hudson and Mulder significantly decreases the chances of the A's contending this year, Kendall or no Kendall. Jason Kendall does not make up for the lose of two proven starters who would likely each win 15-20 games.

batmanZoSo
12-19-2004, 11:55 AM
Hahaha!!! My god Mark Mulder will dominate in the NL (as will Hudson).
Who knows what Hudson's 3.53 era--achieved in the AL while in a tough park--will become when he gets to throw to pitchers in monstrous Turner Field.

batmanZoSo
12-19-2004, 11:57 AM
:roflmao:

Only on a Cubs board can you find an argument that Glendon Rusch is better than Mark Mulder.

But he had a higher ERA last year!!! :redneck
That's true, but on our board there would be a slight argument becuase Rusch would be a "lot more affordable."

balke
12-19-2004, 12:02 PM
I look at it like, you lost Calero, woody williams, and Heron and picked up Mulder. The Cards needed a solid ace, but that's a lot of talent to give up. Calero was a darn good reliever last season, Woody is a proven vet that can hit.

I love Mulder, it's cool they have such a great pitcher, but the Cards seem worse off to me right now in the pitching department. And now they have less defense, losing renteria matheny and womack, and that's going to hurt the Pitching a lot too.

ozzman
12-19-2004, 12:04 PM
Could this stimulate a mulder for buehrle trade in the future? let both of them pitch for the teams they grew up rooting on.

HomeFish
12-19-2004, 12:26 PM
A friend of mine who's a Cub fan has been absolutely drunk with hapiness ever since this trade was made. According to him, this will destroy the Cardinals.

He claims that Beane has pitchers who are "just as good" coming up from the minors this year and that, since Beane traded him, there must be something wrong with Mulder.

Jabroni
12-19-2004, 12:30 PM
A friend of mine who's a Cub fan has been absolutely drunk with hapiness ever since this trade was made. According to him, this will destroy the Cardinals.

He claims that Beane has pitchers who are "just as good" coming up from the minors this year and that, since Beane traded him, there must be something wrong with Mulder.:rolleyes:

California Sox
12-19-2004, 12:37 PM
There is a very good chance that the 2B market is flooded by the non-tenders tomorrow. Belliard, Cora, Spivey, Ellis, and Hairston Jr. are names that could all be non-tenders.
I'd prefer most of those guys to Willie.

Ellis, unfortunately, is not healthy. Cora would be a great pick-up. Belliard certainly loves hitting in the Cell.

Soxzilla
12-19-2004, 01:17 PM
I'd prefer most of those guys to Willie.

Ellis, unfortunately, is not healthy. Cora would be a great pick-up. Belliard certainly loves hitting in the Cell.
Belliard looks like an egg with cornrows and a 14 year old mustache.

bafiarocks03
12-19-2004, 01:39 PM
oh..man..Come on! Why are my A's going this!? They needed to keep Hudson and Mulder! Why did they split them up..come on!!:(:

santo=dorf
12-19-2004, 02:14 PM
I don't think we'd have heard anything except possibly "Mulder throws a shutout and the White Sox are world champs." Or maybe "what ever happened to that McCarthy kid?"
After every Garcia outing we have to hear about Jeremy Reed. Believe me, whatever Mulder would do would be followed up with "Yeah, but B-Mac is cheaper and we will have control of him for 6 years."

JRIG
12-19-2004, 03:07 PM
I wonder if the Billy Beane loving stat-heads like jeremyb and da_dawg will show their faces here after their savior traded away his two best pitchers. :tongue:
You're still here after a Billy Beane stat-head friend just won the World Series. Why wouldn't they be back?

Everyone has always known the biggest test of Beane's system and philosophy would come when the Big Three were up for contract renewals. Now is basically that time. We'll see what happens. I won't bet againts Beane.

FarWestChicago
12-19-2004, 03:44 PM
You're still here after a Billy Beane stat-head friend just won the World Series. Why wouldn't they be back?Last I checked that was a MoneyBags, rather than a MoneyBall, team that won the Series. http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/redneck.gif

Jabroni
12-19-2004, 04:57 PM
You're still here after a Billy Beane stat-head friend just won the World Series. Why wouldn't they be back?

Everyone has always known the biggest test of Beane's system and philosophy would come when the Big Three were up for contract renewals. Now is basically that time. We'll see what happens. I won't bet againts Beane.Yeah, it had nothing to do with the second largest payroll in the MLB next to the Yankees. $130 million dollars goes a long way. Nice try though... :rolleyes:

Jjav829
12-19-2004, 04:59 PM
Yeah, it had nothing to do with the second largest payroll in the MLB next to the Yankees. :rolleyes:
I might have missed the chapter, but which one talked about how getting one of the best pitchers in the game takes you to the World Series? I mean that's just genius stuff right there. Who woulda thought that trading for a great pitcher like Curt Schilling would significantly increase your chances of winning the World Series? Other GM's better start reading Moneyball if that's the kind of insight you get. :rolleyes:

Jabroni
12-19-2004, 05:02 PM
I might have missed the chapter, but which one talked about how getting one of the best pitchers in the game takes you to the World Series? I mean that's just genius stuff right there. Who woulda thought that trading for a great pitcher like Curt Schilling would significantly increase your chances of winning the World Series? Other GM's better start reading Moneyball if that's the kind of insight you get. :rolleyes:You mean Randy Johnson will actually help the Yankees?!?