PDA

View Full Version : Zito, Mulder could be dealt?

Jjav829
12-18-2004, 03:28 PM
According to Ken Rosenthal, Billy Beane might not be done trading. Rosenthal speculates that because of the pay increases to players such as Durazo, Bradford, and Byrnes, Beane might look to trade another starter. If Mulder is available, Kenny better get on the phone. Beane wants young, cheap players which means we could likely add another ace without having to lose much of our current roster.

I'm sure it's probably a pipedream, but go get us Mark Mulder, Kenny!

Link (http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3257854)

pearso66
12-18-2004, 03:30 PM
According to Ken Rosenthal, Billy Beane might not be done trading. Rosenthal speculates that because of the pay increases to players such as Durazo, Bradford, and Byrnes, Beane might look to trade another starter. If Mulder is available, Kenny better get on the phone. Beane wants young, cheap players which means we could likely add another ace without having to lose much of our current roster.

I'm sure it's probably a pipedream, but go get us Mark Mulder, Kenny!

Link (http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3257854)
I agree its probably a pipedream, we'd have to give up probably one of anderson or sweeney, including, marte and another top prospect or two

Jjav829
12-18-2004, 03:32 PM
I agree its probably a pipedream, we'd have to give up probably one of anderson or sweeney, including, marte and another top prospect or two
I don't know about that. Look what the Braves gave up for Hudson. We could come up with a package like that without significantly depleting the farm system.

Buehrle, Garcia, Mulder... :drool:

Ok, back to reality....

California Sox
12-18-2004, 03:47 PM
I don't know about that. Look what the Braves gave up for Hudson. We could come up with a package like that without significantly depleting the farm system.

Buehrle, Garcia, Mulder... :drool:

Ok, back to reality....
The equivalent package from us would be something like Podsednik (or Rowand) Bmac and, say, Cotts or Diaz... We don't really have anyone equivalent to JCruz.

pearso66
12-18-2004, 03:52 PM
The equivalent package from us would be something like Podsednik (or Rowand) Bmac and, say, Cotts or Diaz... We don't really have anyone equivalent to JCruz.
They'd likely want a 2nd baseman, since they now have a solid OF, so they wouldnt want pods. They'd probably want uribe

Jabroni
12-18-2004, 03:58 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3257854The Dodgers, Cardinals, White Sox and Red Sox are among the teams seeking quality starters. The A's might take a step back if Beane traded another member of the now-defunct Big Three for youngsters. But because the team is unable to afford its top pitchers long-term, it would be in better position to contend in future seasons.How about Garland, Marte, and Sweeney for Mulder? Garland gives them a cheaper, younger pitcher to replace Mulder, Marte gives them a good setup man to replace Chad Bradford, and Ryan Sweeney gives them a good OF prospect for the future. Then sign Odalis Perez to replace Garland in the rotation.

--------------------
2005 contracts:
Mark Mulder
$6,000,000

Jon Garland
$3,400,000

Damaso Marte
$1,250,000

Ryan Sweeney
Peanuts
--------------------

Mark Mulder = $6,000,000
Garland + Marte + Sweeney = ~4,650,000

$6,000,000 - $4,650,000 = $1,350,000

So we would only be adding around $1,350,000 to our 2005 payroll. We could still sign Odalis Perez to complete our rotation with the money left from trading Carlos Lee. Luis Vizcaino would take Marte's place as one of our main setup men. Sweeney is somewhat expendable since Brian Anderson seems to be showing more potential. Garland, Marte, and Sweeney seems to be more than what the A's got for Hudson so this trade is feasible. Makes sense to me. If that offer is too much just take out Sweeney and replace with a lesser prospect.

MRKARNO
12-18-2004, 04:17 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3257854How about Garland, Marte, and Sweeney for Mulder? Garland gives them a cheaper, younger pitcher to replace Mulder, Marte gives them a good setup man to replace Chad Bradford, and Ryan Sweeney gives them a good OF prospect for the future. Then sign Odalis Perez to replace Garland in the rotation.
I'd do that in a second!....If I were Billy Beane. That's an awful trade. We need to end the talk of getting rid of Marte because his value to the team is immense and he's cheap too. Sweeney and Garland might be a viable option however. I really like Sweeney's potential, but the difference between Garland and Mulder might be worth Sweeney. I think it would be a lot more fair for us if it were Casey Rogowski, who might be more of a Billy Beane kind of prospect who doesnt really fit into our plans anyways.

Soxzilla
12-18-2004, 05:54 PM
I'd do that in a second!....If I were Billy Beane. That's an awful trade. We need to end the talk of getting rid of Marte because his value to the team is immense and he's cheap too. Sweeney and Garland might be a viable option however. I really like Sweeney's potential, but the difference between Garland and Mulder might be worth Sweeney. I think it would be a lot more fair for us if it were Casey Rogowski, who might be more of a Billy Beane kind of prospect who doesnt really fit into our plans anyways.
The difference between Mulder and Garland is astronomical ... let's please stop overrating our players.

I'd give up Garland/Marte and Sweeney if it means I can lock up Mulder for the next few years.

santo=dorf
12-18-2004, 05:58 PM
The difference between Mulder and Garland is astronomical ... let's please stop overrating our players.

I'd give up Garland/Marte and Sweeney if it means I can lock up Mulder for the next few years.Mulder has an option at $7.25 million for 2007.

Win1ForMe
12-18-2004, 06:00 PM
The difference between Mulder and Garland is astronomical ... let's please stop overrating our players.I'm sure there's some sort of VORP, EqA, or Win-share statistic created by Will Carrol which states they're very similar.

Soxzilla
12-18-2004, 06:06 PM
Mulder has an option at $7.25 million for 2007.
Why do Oakland's contracts ROCK so much?:tongue:

Too bad that isn't a team option, because you know he ain't gonna dig it.:cool: I'd still do that trade though, lock him up for 2 years than have a good opp to sign him for a third.

And nice one Win ... :roflmao:

illinibk
12-18-2004, 06:10 PM
They'd likely want a 2nd baseman, since they now have a solid OF, so they wouldnt want pods. They'd probably want uribe
Not true since they traded for Ginter earlier in the week. Linky (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1947056)

Win1ForMe
12-18-2004, 06:18 PM
It appears Mark Mulder is now a Cardinal per ESPN radio.:(:

Kogs35
12-18-2004, 06:20 PM
And ESPNEWS

Jjav829
12-18-2004, 06:23 PM
Damnit!! :angry:

Why do I do this? First it was Hudson, now Mulder, and neither of them will be pitching for the White Sox next year.

I guess we will see just how brilliant Billy Beane is this year. No Hudson. No Mulder. His "ace" is Barry, (LOL), Barry Zito.

Kogs35
12-18-2004, 06:24 PM
Damnit!! :angry:

Why do I do this? First it was Hudson, now Mulder, and neither of them will be pitching for the White Sox next year.

I guess we will see just how brilliant Billy Beane is this year. No Hudson. No Mulder. His "ace" is Barry, (LOL), Barry Zito.
watch it, Zito is next

Jabroni
12-18-2004, 06:59 PM
watch it, Zito is nextI don't think that should be in teal. It is quite the possibility.

MRKARNO
12-18-2004, 07:13 PM

I'd give up Garland/Marte and Sweeney if it means I can lock up Mulder for the next few years.
Let me just clarify my point though it's a moot one now:

The question isnt whether Garland is as good as Mulder. He's not. The question is whether the difference is worth Sweeney and I dont think it is, but that's just personal opinion.

Brian26
12-18-2004, 07:26 PM
I don't think that should be in teal. It is quite the possibility.
Jabroni, could you change your sig photo? Please? It seems like really bad luck.

Soxzilla
12-18-2004, 07:48 PM
Let me just clarify my point though it's a moot one now:

The question isnt whether Garland is as good as Mulder. He's not. The question is whether the difference is worth Sweeney and I dont think it is, but that's just personal opinion.
I can deal with that. But can I ask you why you believe this? What makes Garland a decent player in your eyes?

Too me he looks/sounds like such a baby, and I don't see him evolving into anything better than a .500, 4.6 ERA kind of pitcher. Why should I be wrong karno? Why?

MRKARNO
12-18-2004, 08:00 PM
I can deal with that. But can I ask you why you believe this? What makes Garland a decent player in your eyes?

Too me he looks/sounds like such a baby, and I don't see him evolving into anything better than a .500, 4.6 ERA kind of pitcher. Why should I be wrong karno? Why?
What makes him decent? The average AL ERA last year was 4.63 and we wasnt all that far above it. If you take away that Philly game were everything went to hell and it wasnt really his fault, he's right there. Garland will also give you 200 innings. Even if he keeps it up at this level, he's still a decent pitcher and then there's always the chance that he figures it out and becomes a star pitcher (he's only 25 ya know). Even though he doesnt dominate often, he doesnt entirely blow up often either and when he does give up a lot of runs, he still is able to pitch for 6-7 innings. I swear that in 2003, he had a 14 game quality start stretch or something to that effect, but I cant find the game log for 2003.

MRKARNO
12-18-2004, 08:10 PM
Ken Rosenthal is officially the source for rumors now. He was on top of the RJ trade, the Lee trade and now this. Way to go Rosenthal!

santo=dorf
12-18-2004, 08:18 PM
Ken Rosenthal is officially the source for rumors now. He was on top of the RJ trade, the Lee trade and now this. Way to go Rosenthal!
He was also on the radio this morning saying the Sox were going to trade a combination of Marte, Garland, and Konerko for Vazquez. And what ever happened to us being in the Beltran seepstakes? :rolleyes:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2302

"Look at me, I'm broke! Do I need to Cell?"

Brian26
12-18-2004, 08:39 PM
Isn't he only 2 years removed from being the AL Cy Young? It's not THAT laughable.

Soxzilla
12-18-2004, 09:45 PM
What makes him decent? The average AL ERA last year was 4.63 and we wasnt all that far above it. If you take away that Philly game were everything went to hell and it wasnt really his fault, he's right there. Garland will also give you 200 innings. Even if he keeps it up at this level, he's still a decent pitcher and then there's always the chance that he figures it out and becomes a star pitcher (he's only 25 ya know). Even though he doesnt dominate often, he doesnt entirely blow up often either and when he does give up a lot of runs, he still is able to pitch for 6-7 innings. I swear that in 2003, he had a 14 game quality start stretch or something to that effect, but I cant find the game log for 2003.That part about him blowing up isn't entirely true ... I'd love to see his ERA if you subject out all the innings he gave up 4+ runs, I'm sure it would be in the 3's somewhere. When the mental midget gets touched ... he sure can lay out the runs. What is the good of pitching 7 innings when you still give up 6 runs (I remember bearing witness to his game against Greinke in KC, Zach made him look like a fool, and the kid's only 20!).

I could deal with Garland, but he's just an average pitcher at best, and with his whiny attitude we always end up hearing about, he may never be anything about that. I would give him AND sweeney up for someone the calibur of Mulder, no doubt. Though, I think Garland is the perfect example of a 5th starter, and I wouldn't mind him as one ... but he just doesn't cut the butter as a middle of the rotation guy, at least, not yet.

EDIT - Brian, with the way it looks right now. Who's jagon would I have to suck to have Zito as our number 3?

Rocklive99
12-18-2004, 10:23 PM
It is obvious that Beane heard Hawk's comments on the Score, and is trying to prove to him that he can still win by taking away Hudson, Zito, and Mulder

Chicago83
12-18-2004, 10:30 PM
We really should have pushed for Mulder, isn't he the guy that is from Illinois and is a sox fan? I know one of the big three is, and I am pretty sure it was him. Oh well, maybe he will eventually be in a sox uniform.

Chicago83
12-18-2004, 10:31 PM
Yeah it was Mulder, he went to the same high school as Eddy Curry. Should have went for him at all costs because there is a good chance to resign him,