PDA

View Full Version : Urinal being torn down?

DumpJerry
12-18-2004, 02:59 PM
So, fence around the Urinal, boarded up windows......looks like a demolition site to me! I took this pic today, December 18, 2004. Next week will there be a sign reading "Coming soon! Urinal Heights Condos and townhomes!" lol :supernana: :supernana: :supernana:

file:///D:/120_2027.JPG

DumpJerry
12-18-2004, 03:00 PM
Drat! The picture did not transfer.....:angry: :whiner:

Jabroni
12-18-2004, 03:16 PM
Drat! The picture did not transfer.....:angry: :whiner:Try making it an attachment in your post. :wink:

DumpJerry
12-18-2004, 03:37 PM
Try making it an attachment in your post. :wink:I tried, but it was a little bit too big (114k, 110k is the limit). Any other suggestions? I might take the pic again and make it lower resolution. I used the resolution which is good for emails....

But let me tell you, it is an interesting sight right now at the Urinal. There is a fence on the Addison Street side completely blocking off the wall. Some of the windows are boarded up (there are some new ones, too...). You can see hard hats walking around in it and there is banging coming from the inside like they are preparing it for demolition.......sigh......

Daver
12-18-2004, 03:38 PM
Resize the image.

DumpJerry
12-18-2004, 03:40 PM
Resize the image.I'll try. I cut out a lot of extraneous stuff like the sky and street, but it was still too big.

SomebodyToldMe
12-18-2004, 03:42 PM
Upload it to PhotoBucket.

photobucket.com

That's what I use to put up all my pictures that you all see here.

Daver
12-18-2004, 03:44 PM
I'll try. I cut out a lot of extraneous stuff like the sky and street, but it was still too big.
E-mail it to me, I'll resize it and post it for you.

daver@whitesoxinteractive.com

DumpJerry
12-18-2004, 04:46 PM
E-mail it to me, I'll resize it and post it for you.

daver@whitesoxinteractive.comThe pics (2) are "in the mail." Good luck and thanks!

Jabroni
12-18-2004, 04:48 PM
I tried, but it was a little bit too big (114k, 110k is the limit). Any other suggestions? I might take the pic again and make it lower resolution. I used the resolution which is good for emails....

But let me tell you, it is an interesting sight right now at the Urinal. There is a fence on the Addison Street side completely blocking off the wall. Some of the windows are boarded up (there are some new ones, too...). You can see hard hats walking around in it and there is banging coming from the inside like they are preparing it for demolition.......sigh......Open the pic in MS Paint and save it as a JPEG. That will lower the size of it. Then upload it here:

http://www.imageshack.us/

Then link to the pic in your post using the Image tags.

Daver
12-18-2004, 05:29 PM
Pic #1

Daver
12-18-2004, 05:29 PM
Pic #2

Brian26
12-18-2004, 07:41 PM
Wow, doesn't it look dumpier than ever with the overcast sky and boarded up windows?

DumpJerry
12-19-2004, 01:00 AM
Wow, doesn't it look dumpier than ever with the overcast sky and boarded up windows?Yup. One of the pics is the start of a message informing the world that Hunt's Ketchup is the official Ketchup for the Flubs.

That sound you now hear in the background is millions of ChiSox fans pouring their Hunt's products down the drain.....................

doublem23
12-19-2004, 02:12 AM
Yup. One of the pics is the start of a message informing the world that Hunt's Ketchup is the official Ketchup for the Flubs.

That sound you now hear in the background is millions of ChiSox fans pouring their Hunt's products down the drain.....................
I always knew I liked Heinz better. :smile:

But Wrigley is so pure and not tainted by advertising. :rolleyes:

batmanZoSo
12-19-2004, 03:24 AM
I drove past it earlier tonight and it looked like the whole Addison side was draped in tarp. Daley must be spraying for potato bugs. Damn, he shoulda saved that for their next pennant race, you know just to "shake things up" Chicago style.

TornLabrum
12-19-2004, 06:13 AM
Yup. One of the pics is the start of a message informing the world that Hunt's Ketchup is the official Ketchup for the Flubs.

I've always preferred Brook's anyway.

hose
12-19-2004, 09:04 AM
I've always preferred Brook's anyway.

Get that cheap catsup out of here, it's Heinz or nothing.:D:

Clembasbal
12-19-2004, 11:05 AM
So, not that I go to Wrigley or Wrigleyville a lot, but is that cream stuff on the side of the Urinal new? It looks newer? I am not sure if I ever remember that stuff...maybe they are solidifying the concrete...or if we are going, preparing it for tear-down:D:

DumpJerry
12-19-2004, 11:45 AM
So, not that I go to Wrigley or Wrigleyville a lot, but is that cream stuff on the side of the Urinal new? It looks newer? I am not sure if I ever remember that stuff...maybe they are solidifying the concrete...or if we are going, preparing it for tear-down:D:It's the residue from Scammy's 'roids he stopped taking once testing entered into the picture. They had to somehow hide the stuff.

soxnut
12-23-2004, 08:33 AM
Next week will there be a sign reading "Coming soon! Urinal Heights Condos and townhomes!" lol

Hey DumpJerry............That may not be as far-fetched as you might think.

I also posted this in another thread:

Maybe Wrigley is near the end of it's life. Last Sept, when I was at a Sox game, I spoke with an on-duty Chicago police officer. He said that the Tribune company owns land(Western and California?) near Gordon Tech. He said that there are plans for a new Cubs ballpark to be built there. He said to look for that to happen no later than 2016 though.

And he also said that if/when this does happen, they would be turning Wrigley into condos. They would keep the field and the ivy and the bleachers, but the rest of the park would be gutted and turned into condos.

So maybe this whole thing with the falling concrete, the renovations and the squabbles with the Wrigleyille residents is part of a scheme. This all could be a way to ease them out of Wrigley and give them a good excuse to build a new ballpark.

The officer also mentioned that JR controls all of the liquor licenses around the Bridgeport area, and that's why you don't see many bars around the ballpark.

batmanZoSo
12-23-2004, 11:20 AM
Next week will there be a sign reading "Coming soon! Urinal Heights Condos and townhomes!" lol

Hey DumpJerry............That may not be as far-fetched as you might think.

I also posted this in another thread:

Maybe Wrigley is near the end of it's life. Last Sept, when I was at a Sox game, I spoke with an on-duty Chicago police officer. He said that the Tribune company owns land(Western and California?) near Gordon Tech. He said that there are plans for a new Cubs ballpark to be built there. He said to look for that to happen no later than 2016 though.

And he also said that if/when this does happen, they would be turning Wrigley into condos. They would keep the field and the ivy and the bleachers, but the rest of the park would be gutted and turned into condos.

So maybe this whole thing with the falling concrete, the renovations and the squabbles with the Wrigleyille residents is part of a scheme. This all could be a way to ease them out of Wrigley and give them a good excuse to build a new ballpark.

The officer also mentioned that JR controls all of the liquor licenses around the Bridgeport area, and that's why you don't see many bars around the ballpark.
I think they could totally revamp what they have right now without changing locations. First, you remove the bleachers and build new ones with maybe 1,000 more seats and easy access to bathrooms and the concourse below the seats.

Remove the upper deck entirely and build a new one that's set back more so you don't need poles and tuck two levels of suites underneath it.

Then gut the lower concourse and rebuild it, repave and restructure the lower seating area where needed and put in new seats.

Do it over three offseasons without forcing them to play on the south side. Can it be done?

zach074
12-26-2004, 10:31 PM
If they get rid of sammy and fix Wrigly what are we gona have to make fun of cubs fans with? :o:

Whitesox029
12-26-2004, 10:49 PM
If they get rid of sammy and fix Wrigly what are we gona have to make fun of cubs fans with? :o: How about 97 years of sucking?

TheArmyOfNeems
12-26-2004, 11:14 PM
How about 97 years of sucking?
Preach it brother

zach074
12-26-2004, 11:21 PM
How about 97 years of sucking?
True, but with cubs fans you have to hit them where it hurts, you know make fun of something they pay attention to.

doublem23
12-26-2004, 11:49 PM
True, but with cubs fans you have to hit them where it hurts, you know make fun of something they pay attention to.Their beer blows. :tongue:

gosox3072
12-27-2004, 12:37 AM
Their beer blows. :tongue:
:redneck True.....And they most defenately care about that!

wdelaney72
12-27-2004, 10:40 AM
I think they could totally revamp what they have right now without changing locations. First, you remove the bleachers and build new ones with maybe 1,000 more seats and easy access to bathrooms and the concourse below the seats.

Remove the upper deck entirely and build a new one that's set back more so you don't need poles and tuck two levels of suites underneath it.

Then gut the lower concourse and rebuild it, repave and restructure the lower seating area where needed and put in new seats.

Do it over three offseasons without forcing them to play on the south side. Can it be done?
This would not be as easy as you think. The Cubs would run into the same problem the Red Sox did with renovating Fenway - not enough square footage.

Building a modern-day ballpark which focuses around luxury skyboxes, pushes the dimensions of the ballpark up and out. They would have to get the city and the neighborhood to agree to basically lose Waveland Ave, or one of the other streets. As we've seen with some of the expansion squabbles, that's not going to happen. They'd have to build on a different site. It's very interesting that they own other property nearby. I have no doubt they'll soon be crying they need a new ballpark "to compete in today's baseball economy". I can't wait until they demolish that dump and their stuck with the same kind of ballpark everyone else is.

I try not rip on the Cubs, but man, do I hate this city's love affair with that pile of crap stadium.

DumpJerry
12-27-2004, 04:10 PM
If they get rid of sammy and fix Wrigly what are we gona have to make fun of cubs fans with? :o:We will have Scammy for the 2005 season to feast on. We can also make fun of the fact that they dance to disco music during the games (I was at the July 2 game with the Sox and they played "YMCA" and Donna Summer and the boys were dancing to it!)

DaveIsHere
12-27-2004, 04:23 PM
Get that cheap catsup out of here, it's Heinz or nothing.:D:
Crap Hunts is endorsing the Cubs, Heinz is connected with Kerry, guess I better find a new brand:(:

dcb33
12-27-2004, 05:04 PM
We will have Scammy for the 2005 season to feast on. We can also make fun of the fact that they dance to disco music during the games (I was at the July 2 game with the Sox and they played "YMCA" and Donna Summer and the boys were dancing to it!)
Isn't YMCA their theme song???
http://www.angelfire.com/il2/cubssuck/machomen.jpg
Who could forget about this monstrosity?

batmanZoSo
12-27-2004, 10:03 PM
This would not be as easy as you think. The Cubs would run into the same problem the Red Sox did with renovating Fenway - not enough square footage.

Building a modern-day ballpark which focuses around luxury skyboxes, pushes the dimensions of the ballpark up and out. They would have to get the city and the neighborhood to agree to basically lose Waveland Ave, or one of the other streets. As we've seen with some of the expansion squabbles, that's not going to happen. They'd have to build on a different site. It's very interesting that they own other property nearby. I have no doubt they'll soon be crying they need a new ballpark "to compete in today's baseball economy". I can't wait until they demolish that dump and their stuck with the same kind of ballpark everyone else is.

I try not rip on the Cubs, but man, do I hate this city's love affair with that pile of crap stadium.
Well I didn't say it would be easy, but I think it could be done. The question is could it be done without disrupting the season and forcing them to play elsewhere, god forbid in the south side. That I don't know..maybe not.

Year one you redo the bleachers. Don't close down Waveland, just have the upper seats act as an awning over part of the street. That's if the bleachers even make it to the street (the sidewalk is pretty wide along the outfiled sides). Building new bleachers to accomodate 1,000 more seats would only mean a few extra rows.

Year two you take off the whole upper level and install a new one with a moderate amount of skyboxes, and not so far back that it would push things out onto Addison.

Year three you refurbish the lower level, just make it look new.

The second one would surely be the most difficult. I know they could do all this if given enough time. Hey, they built a completely new ultra modern skybox haven within the confines of old Soldier Field. They could do something similar with Wrigley, only they'd be keeping the same look and it wouldn't be entirely new--only the upper deck and the bleachers. But time is the question. I don't know if the upper deck thing is even possible in one offseason, but if it is, then there's no reason they couldn't do something like this. Maybe an engineer or architect type can refute this...

I know they could do the same thing for Fenway without relocating and building a replica. They don't even really have an upper deck to begin with, so there's not much to remove.

JKryl
12-29-2004, 10:33 AM
Crap Hunts is endorsing the Cubs, Heinz is connected with Kerry, guess I better find a new brand:(:
Don't worry about Heinz. When Heinz's board of directors heard that Teresa was going public, they had a press conference where they disowned her. They said that she was a big stock holder, but had nothing to do with the operation of the company. :)

doublem23
12-29-2004, 11:24 AM
Don't worry about Heinz. When Heinz's board of directors heard that Teresa was going public, they had a press conference where they disowned her. They said that she was a big stock holder, but had nothing to do with the operation of the company. :)Which doesn't change the scenario that every time you buy Heinz ketchup, you put money in the pockets of John and Teresa Heinz Kerry. :rolleyes: Oh no, the Democrats.

Anyways, if your insides turn at the thought of putting money in the hands of evil Dems, then I guess this stuff is for you: http://www.wketchup.com/ (be forewarned, lame conservative attempt to mimick The Onion).

I'll stick with Heinz. :cool:

wdelaney72
12-29-2004, 11:42 AM
Well I didn't say it would be easy, but I think it could be done. The question is could it be done without disrupting the season and forcing them to play elsewhere, god forbid in the south side. That I don't know..maybe not.

Year one you redo the bleachers. Don't close down Waveland, just have the upper seats act as an awning over part of the street. That's if the bleachers even make it to the street (the sidewalk is pretty wide along the outfiled sides). Building new bleachers to accomodate 1,000 more seats would only mean a few extra rows.

Year two you take off the whole upper level and install a new one with a moderate amount of skyboxes, and not so far back that it would push things out onto Addison.

Year three you refurbish the lower level, just make it look new.

The second one would surely be the most difficult. I know they could do all this if given enough time. Hey, they built a completely new ultra modern skybox haven within the confines of old Soldier Field. They could do something similar with Wrigley, only they'd be keeping the same look and it wouldn't be entirely new--only the upper deck and the bleachers. But time is the question. I don't know if the upper deck thing is even possible in one offseason, but if it is, then there's no reason they couldn't do something like this. Maybe an engineer or architect type can refute this...

I know they could do the same thing for Fenway without relocating and building a replica. They don't even really have an upper deck to begin with, so there's not much to remove.
You are missing the entire point of a new stadium. Luxury skyboxes are the ONLY reason baseball, football, and basketball teams are crying about having new stadiums. Becuase of these skyboxes, it pushes the UD seats up and out. It would be physically impossible to add skyboxes and not push the UD seats up and out. If you don't, these seats would not be able to have a view of the entire field. All of these new stadiums have higher UD seats which are farther from the playing area. It's unavoidable.

The other simple fact is that both Urinals (Wrigley and Fenway) would not be able to push up and out without closing down a street.

doublem23
12-29-2004, 11:45 AM
Add to that, the Cubs proposed adding more bleachers over the sidewalk on Waveland and the city essentially told them to go **** themselves.

batmanZoSo
12-29-2004, 11:05 PM
You are missing the entire point of a new stadium. Luxury skyboxes are the ONLY reason baseball, football, and basketball teams are crying about having new stadiums. Becuase of these skyboxes, it pushes the UD seats up and out. It would be physically impossible to add skyboxes and not push the UD seats up and out. If you don't, these seats would not be able to have a view of the entire field. All of these new stadiums have higher UD seats which are farther from the playing area. It's unavoidable.

The other simple fact is that both Urinals (Wrigley and Fenway) would not be able to push up and out without closing down a street.
There's already one small tier of skybox type things at Wrigley and the deck is situated pretty high up to where you could almost add another one. A new upper deck in this scenario would only be a tad higher if at all, and you solve the view problem by making a steeper upper deck. And the one they have now has a very gentle slope.