PDA

View Full Version : Better Defensive Outfielder -- Carlos Lee or Timo Perez?

Jabroni
12-18-2004, 03:38 PM
Who is the better defensive outfielder -- Carlos Lee or Timo Perez?

HomeFish
12-18-2004, 03:42 PM
Carlos was absolutely underrated as a defensive outfielder his last season here.

Yeah, he sucked when he first went out there. We all know. He was a converted 3B, what do you expect? But look what he did -- he improved. He led the team last year in outfield fielding percentage and outfield assists. For what its worth, he also robbed his fair share of homers.

He was an absolute joy to have out in left field in 2004. I say that as a semi-regular resident of Section 159.

Fredsox
12-18-2004, 03:43 PM
I don't know who has a better fielding percentage, but I can tell you I observed Lee moving slowly, getting late jumps, and just looking asleep at times. At least Timo gets his uniform dirty. He's faster and he looks like he plays harder. No question in my book.

Jabroni
12-18-2004, 03:43 PM
Carlos was absolutely underrated as a defensive outfielder his last season here.

Yeah, he sucked when he first went out there. We all know. He was a converted 3B, what do you expect? But look what he did -- he improved. He led the team last year in outfield fielding percentage and outfield assists. For what its worth, he also robbed his fair share of homers.

He was an absolute joy to have out in left field in 2004. I say that as a semi-regular resident of Section 159.Fine, but the question is still who is the better defensive outfielder -- Carlos Lee or Timo Perez.

MeanFish
12-18-2004, 03:44 PM
Despite Carlos' improvements as a LFer, Timo was far and away the better outfielder of the two. He had more range and a MUCH better arm. Also didn't mishandle the ones he got to.

soltrain21
12-18-2004, 04:04 PM
Timo wins for the cocky way he goes about it.

Once the glove is up, you know he has it.

Ol' No. 2
12-18-2004, 04:28 PM
Perez. Better arm. Better range. Better hustle. Not even close.

PaleHoseGeorge
12-18-2004, 04:34 PM
This poll would have a whole lot more relevance if anyone in baseball would seriously trade an outfield bat as good as Carlos Lee's for an outfield glove as ordinary as Timo Perez's.

Next time we compare fielding defense, let's make it catchers not outfielders, okay? I feel like putting a bag on my head having this poll inside Sox Clubhouse.

:anon:

Daver
12-18-2004, 04:36 PM
Carlos made one adjustment to playing left field, play every hitter at the warning track so that nothing could get over his head.

TimoPerez
12-18-2004, 04:45 PM
Timo-One of the best arms in the Majors. Doesn't everybody just love the one hand in the air catch?:tongue: I know I do(I really do).

Jabroni
12-18-2004, 04:47 PM
Perez. Better arm. Better range. Better hustle. Not even close.Agreed. Both Carlos Lee and Timo Perez have the exact same career fielding percentage of .986 but look at this...

Carlos Lee
825 career games played in LF
5 career games played at 1B

Timo Perez
182 career games played in CF
150 career games played in RF
108 career games played in LF

Timo has played many more games at tougher positions that Lee. There's really no comparison.

santo=dorf
12-18-2004, 05:00 PM
I said Carlos just because he hustle his ass off in the field last year, and I can't forgive Timo for being lazy and letting a flyball drop ruining Contreras probable CG shutout. Instead the runner got on, Carl had a ball hit his glove at the wall (Carlos was the DH that day :?:,) and the run scored. Contreras was Yanked after the 8th and Marte proceeded to serve one up to Victor Martinez.

I did appreciate Timo's running in the bottom of the 9th of that. :smile:

:hawk
"COME ON TIMO!"

Jerome
12-18-2004, 05:14 PM
Didn't Lee throw out a bunch of runners last year at the plate?

TimoPerez
12-18-2004, 05:28 PM
Last year, Timo had half the amount of innings played, and had only 3 three less outfield assists(11 for Carlos, 8 for Timo), and two more outfield double plays(4 for Timo, 2 for Carlos). Timo's range factor was also a little higher.

Jabroni
12-18-2004, 05:29 PM
Last year, Timo had half the amount of innings played, and had only 3 three less outfield assists(11 for Carlos, 8 for Timo), and two more outfield double plays(4 for Timo, 2 for Carlos). Timo's range factor was also a little higher.Good point. I can't believe Lee is actually getting some votes. :?:

TimoPerez
12-18-2004, 05:30 PM
Good point. I can't believe Lee is actually getting some votes. :?:
Thank You.

Corlose 15
12-18-2004, 05:52 PM
When I think of Timo Perez' defense, the first thing that comes to mind is his diving catch of a soft A-rod line drive that saved a run for the Sox and basically the game.

dcb33
12-18-2004, 06:11 PM
Last year, Timo had half the amount of innings played, and had only 3 three less outfield assists(11 for Carlos, 8 for Timo), and two more outfield double plays(4 for Timo, 2 for Carlos). Timo's range factor was also a little higher.
Didn't half those double plays come from the series against the Cubs?

TimoPerez
12-18-2004, 07:02 PM
When I think of Timo Perez' defense, the first thing that comes to mind is his diving catch of a soft A-rod line drive that saved a run for the Sox and basically the game.
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/player_media.jsp?player_id=340392

It is the second to last thing on that page. The Sox ended up winning by one run.

TimoPerez
12-18-2004, 07:06 PM
Didn't half those double plays come from the series against the Cubs?
Yes. On consecutive days. Those Sox middle infielders are a tricky bunch. I don't know about one of the days because, seeing as how I live in New York, I wasn't able to see the games, but in at least one of them the middle infielders bluffed a play and Timo threw the runners out at first. Both days the runners were thrown out at first, though.

MeanFish
12-19-2004, 02:57 AM
Didn't Lee throw out a bunch of runners last year at the plate?
If he had a gun for an arm, those runners never would have taken the chance in the first place.

OEO Magglio
12-19-2004, 03:05 AM
It's carlos by a lot, imo. Timo definitely has the better arm however Carlos has much more range, he always hussles as some people think timo doesn't, I'm not sure if sometimes timo isn't hussling or if he's just that slow

Jabroni
12-19-2004, 03:42 AM
Timo has the lead, although he should have it by a much bigger margin. :?:

jabrch
12-19-2004, 04:21 AM
I like Carlos a lot. But you don't have him in your OF for his defense. That said, his everyday defense would hurt you much less than Timo's everyday offense would.

Jabroni
12-19-2004, 04:24 AM
I like Carlos a lot. But you don't have him in your OF for his defense. That said, his everyday defense would hurt you much less than Timo's everyday offense would.Great analyzing but that isn't the question.

batmanZoSo
12-19-2004, 04:32 AM
He did improve and tried, which is great, but he was still a big oaf out there. I don't want to be too critical, because he made a lot of nice diving catches, but he whiffed on many of them and this is definitely a case of better reads would make dives unnecessary (and also a lot of ones that got by are less likely to with Pods out there). We've definitely upgraded. Offensive arguments being completely separate of course.

munchman33
12-19-2004, 04:49 AM
It's carlos by a lot, imo. Timo definitely has the better arm however Carlos has much more range, he always hussles as some people think timo doesn't, I'm not sure if sometimes timo isn't hussling or if he's just that slow
Wow. I can't believe people are letting that slide. Carlos has more range than Timo Perez, who's faster and gets better jumps? Not a chance. You should get a time out just for thinking that. :D:

And Carlos did not always hustle. His biggest problem was daydreaming in the outfield. As for those who don't think Timo hustles, there's a difference between not hustling and showboating. Timo always hustles when he needs to.

OEO Magglio
12-19-2004, 12:43 PM
Wow. I can't believe people are letting that slide. Carlos has more range than Timo Perez, who's faster and gets better jumps? Not a chance. You should get a time out just for thinking that. :D:

And Carlos did not always hustle. His biggest problem was daydreaming in the outfield. As for those who don't think Timo hustles, there's a difference between not hustling and showboating. Timo always hustles when he needs to.
Have you watched them both play?? Carlos is much faster then Timo and yes he does get better jumps. Timo isn't a good outfielder, I do like Timo alot because of the clutch hits he came up with for the sox last year, however Carlos is a much better outfielder.

santo=dorf
12-19-2004, 12:53 PM
Didn't half those double plays come from the series against the Cubs?Yup.

And people around here think our team was dumb on the base paths.

Alou hit one to Timo in RF and Jose made Corey Patheticson think it was a groundball double play or something. Corey looked so lost on the base paths. :rolling: