PDA

View Full Version : Would you be that opposed to seeing Loaiza back?

Soxzilla
12-18-2004, 03:02 AM
I highly doubt we will be signing Perez, and really, is he worth the money? The guy has had the luxury of pitching at Chavez-Ravine for half of every season, and while I admit, I haven't looked at the splits in a while, his away ERA was pretty questionable.

Not too mention the staunch performances he had in the divisional series against the cardinals, not lasting 3 innings in either game.

So really ... would grabbing Loaiza on the cheap, while still having financial flexibility for another free agent pickup, or maybe a midseason acquisition a bad idea? A rotation of Buehrle - Garcia - Contreras - Sissy Boy - Loaiza wouldn't be ALL that bad, and probably the best one we've had at opening day for the past SEVERAL years. I'd say with the bullpen and lineup we have, we'd have a great chance at a central division crown, but we'd need some more help if we plan on not getting swept out of the playoffs by the yankees or some other juggernaut team that overcompensates their talent.

Granted I don't really want Loaiza back, but I'd rather have him in the rotation than Grilli or Schoe's foes. For real...

What are your opinions on this?

jabrch
12-18-2004, 03:05 AM
Derek Lowe is still available - right? He's a sinkerballer....wouldn't he be a decent option at USCF?

Soxzilla
12-18-2004, 03:07 AM
Derek Lowe is still available - right? He's a sinkerballer....wouldn't he be a decent option at USCF?
Yes ... but the thing you may want to think about is the fact you can probably get Esteban for a year in the low millions, probably 1.5-2. Whereas Lowe would want multi-years at around 7 million.

The fact that Loaiza could just as easily eat more innings, pitch .500, and have a better ERA than Lowe really scares me on that fact.

jabrch
12-18-2004, 03:10 AM
Yes ... but the thing you may want to think about is the fact you can probably get Esteban for a year in the low millions, probably 1.5-2. Whereas Lowe would want multi-years at around 7 million.

The fact that Loaiza could just as easily eat more innings, pitch .500, and have a better ERA than Lowe really scares me on that fact.

Yeah - I guess. I just didn't like the note upon which Esteban left us. I mean - bitching about run support? Geez....

Chicago83
12-18-2004, 03:41 AM
I think signing Loiza is a good idea, if we can't get someone like Lowe or Perez. The pitching contracts this year are outrageous and with our budget I think it's a better idea to sign Loiza and then give Bmac a chance to take the fifth spot and put Loiza in the pen. With the extra money we could sign either a C or 2B, maybe Cairo. If we could get .500 out of Loiza for 2-3 million, why not?
We have 2 ace pitcher for the next two years in Buerhle and Garcia, if Garland and Contreras can put it together and be the 3rd and 4th starters they are supposed to be then I think Loiza would be a great 5th starter.

If we have the chance to sign Perez or Lowe(highly unlikely) for under 10 mill then we can't pass up on these proven pitchers, but I don't think it's worth it signing anyone else for over 5 million.

akingamongstmen
12-18-2004, 10:31 AM
I guess he could come back here and regrow his goatee. I don't know what that means for us, but it has to be worth something.

MarkyBear
12-18-2004, 10:40 AM
Lowe would of been my first choice all along, but doesn't he have Borass as his agent???

serena
12-18-2004, 10:59 AM
Are there any possibilities with pitchers who might be non-tendered?

There's a lot of water under the bridge with Esty. I guess if he's willing to come back for cheap, that's cool. I hope there are other options, though.

I think Borass is Lowe's agent. The rumor has been for awhile that the Tigers want to throw a lot of money at him. :(:

MarkyBear
12-18-2004, 11:06 AM
I think Borass is Lowe's agent. The rumor has been for awhile that the Tigers want to throw a lot of money at him. :(:

Let 'em then, our GRINDERS will destroy that ground ball pitching Lowe with many a grounders up the middle!!! :bandance:

Should that of been in Teal???

MRKARNO
12-18-2004, 12:01 PM
Loaiza burned bridges with his "They didnt give me any run support" comment. No thanks. I also fundamentally dissagree with the "No" option because I think we would give him the run support, he probably would just give up any leads we gave him.

FightingBillini
12-18-2004, 12:06 PM
Loaiza burned bridges with his "They didnt give me any run support" comment. No thanks. I also fundamentally dissagree with the "No" option because I think we would give him the run support, he probably would just give up any leads we gave him.
Did he actually come out and bitch about run support, or was it just Jeff Brantley?
I remember when everyone was pissed when they heard he hated the Chicago fans. Turns out he never said that, and once again, Brantley humiliated himself on national television.

jabrch
12-18-2004, 12:11 PM
Lowe would of been my first choice all along, but doesn't he have Borass as his agent???

yeah, but at the end of the day, if we were looking at Clement at 7-8, why wouldn't that put us into the market for Lowe?

MRKARNO
12-18-2004, 12:20 PM
Did he actually come out and bitch about run support, or was it just Jeff Brantley?

:eloaiza:
"This year I've been going up and down, not a lot of run support. Here, you get a lot of run support and do my own business," (actual quote)
http://kffl.com/player/4833/mlb

And he was something like 10th in the AL in run support too.

Scotty347
12-18-2004, 12:34 PM
He is awful.. you've got to be kidding.

DaleJRFan
12-18-2004, 12:39 PM
:eloaiza:
"This year I've been going up and down, not a lot of run support. Here, you get a lot of run support and do my own business," (actual quote)
http://kffl.com/player/4833/mlb

And he was something like 10th in the AL in run support too.
Right? HOw many games did Esteban get a W for when he allowed 6 runs??? FIrst half of the year '04 he and Beuhrle were getting 10 runs a game in support. I don't know how Esteban could have said that. And, what he should be bitching about were the 3 games Billy Koch blew when Esteban had thrown a gem (see Oakland series)..

I wouldn't mind seeing him back. I think he is a good value for a 4th or 5th guy for the rotation. So long as he pitches like he did in the ALCS. What's wrong with having 2 spot starters in the bullpen like Schoeneweis & Hermanson with Loaiza as #5?? If he blows, bring in a long reliever.

This is of course if they can't sign a legit #3.

MarkyBear
12-18-2004, 12:42 PM
yeah, but at the end of the day, if we were looking at Clement at 7-8, why wouldn't that put us into the market for Lowe?

Maybe out of spite, KW not wanting to deal with Boras at all...

Buuut, isn't Uribe represented by Boras??? He just signed a pretty sweet 3 year deal.

Edit: Already posted, man I'm slow this morning, need...more...coffee

TheBull19
12-18-2004, 12:45 PM
He did look pretty nasty against the Bosox in the ALCS, though. Buerhle/Garcia/Loaiza/Contreras/Garland wouldn't be too shabby a rotation. Considering KW supposedly unloaded Lee to open up room on the payroll, though, I'd be pretty disappointed if we ended up with him, but I'd definitely rather go that route than nothing at all, or any of the other pitchers who will probably be in his price range.

johnny_mostil
12-18-2004, 01:09 PM
Buuut, isn't Uribe represented by Boras??? He just signed a pretty sweet 3 year deal.
Uribe fired Boras a month ago or so.

Soxzilla
12-18-2004, 01:21 PM
He is awful.. you've got to be kidding.
Compared to Jason Grilli, he's Sandy freakin' Koufax.

Of coures, the best possible situation for getting Loaiza would have us trading Konerko/Garland/Vizcaino(or Marte) for Randy Johnson, then signing Carlos Delgado and Esteban to fill the gaps.

Paulwny
12-18-2004, 01:26 PM
Maybe out of spite, KW not wanting to deal with Boras at all...

Edit: Already posted, man I'm slow this morning, need...more...coffee
No, It's more likely that JR won't allow KW to negotiate with Boras.

LongLiveFisk
12-18-2004, 02:01 PM
I second that. The bridge-burning comments being heard repeatedly all over sports is getting old. Stop crying :whiner: and let your performance speak for itself for a change.

Fredsox
12-18-2004, 02:34 PM
The truth of the matter is dumping Loaiza for Contreras was an excellent move, and we don't need him back. If this guy couldn't stay in the Yankees starting rotation WITH all that run support, what do we need him for? I do not see how we improve ourselves with him on the staff. Let's move on, I'd rather have Grilli if left a choice between the two. I might have crappy pitcher but at least I'm not paying for it.