PDA

View Full Version : Share your favorite Sox story.

soltrain21
12-17-2004, 10:58 PM
It is Christmas and people need to be in that feel good mood, no thanks to Matt Clement. So I ask you, to share your favorite Sox story!

When I was about 7 or 8 I stayed in the same hotel as the Sox when they were in KC. My dad took my brother and I for that 3 game set. Anyways, the second day we were there I was standing in the elevator and I look over and see non other than Tim Raines standing right next to me!

Being a youngin at the time I was completely floored by this. I immediatly say "You are Tim Raines!"

Tim being the nice guy he is says "Why yes I am, what is your name little guy?"

We got off the elevator and we talked for about 10 to 15 minutes. He was such a nice guy and treated my stupid questions to him with tons of respect and was just pleased to talk to me. Seemed like he was having as good as a time as I was with it.

Ever since then Tim has been a huge favorite of mine, and I am glad to see him on the coaching staff.

voodoochile
12-18-2004, 08:46 AM
It was the third and deciding game of the first crosstown series. The Sox were in the process of putting the finishing touches on their series win. Someone in our section was throwing around a little stuffed bear. Some big guy grabbed it and pretty soon pieces of it were flying everywhere. The arms, legs and head each came flying out and finally he stood up clinching the bears now limbless torso in one fist raised high over his head and the section went nuts.

Oh yeah, Carlos struck out Sham-ME* 3 times in that game as this flubbiefan girl behind me continued to do the chant every time he came up. Everytime he struck out, the Sox fans would all pick up the chant. After the final strikeout, I turned around and laughed. She wasn't that happy and eventually left early.

That 8-run comeback from a couple of years ago when Frank tied it and Konerko won it wasn't bad either.

I also remember the "effective clincher" in 2000 when the Sox were winning by a run and late in the game the Tribe had the bases loaded and no one out. Konerko made a diving stab on a shot that would have easily cleared the bases and put the Tribe ahead and in the end made the division much closer with several weeks to play, but the Sox held on to win.

PaleHoseGeorge
12-18-2004, 09:20 AM
Twi-night doubleheader game at Old Comiskey in 1988. We were there at noon for a pre-game party inside the old Patio, the one set up directly underneath the old Monster scoreboard. Box seats for both games, one of them went extra innings, and post-game fireworks, too. We sat in the front row of the upper deck out in deep left-center field so we could be as close as possible to the explosions. Didn't get home till past midnight... 12 full hours at the Sox carnival.

The highlight was between games 1 and 2. They had a frisbee catching contest with Ashley Whippet, the world champion frisbee catching dog. This wirey dog (a small greyhound) was running full bore across the entire length of the outfield, catching frisbees just inches before they hit the ground. He got a standing ovation.

What an athlete. Much better than John Kruk.
:cool:

mjmcend
12-18-2004, 11:16 AM
It is Christmas and people need to be in that feel good mood, no thanks to Matt Clement. So I ask you, to share your favorite Sox story!

When I was about 7 or 8 I stayed in the same hotel as the Sox when they were in KC. My dad took my brother and I for that 3 game set. Anyways, the second day we were there I was standing in the elevator and I look over and see non other than Tim Raines standing right next to me!

Being a youngin at the time I was completely floored by this. I immediatly say "You are Tim Raines!"

Tim being the nice guy he is says "Why yes I am, what is your name little guy?"

We got off the elevator and we talked for about 10 to 15 minutes. He was such a nice guy and treated my stupid questions to him with tons of respect and was just pleased to talk to me. Seemed like he was having as good as a time as I was with it.

Ever since then Tim has been a huge favorite of mine, and I am glad to see him on the coaching staff.
That is a great story. Kinda warms your heart.

santo=dorf
12-18-2004, 11:26 AM
That 8-run comeback from a couple of years ago when Frank tied it and Konerko won it wasn't bad either.

No, that was all Konerko. Maggs singled in Ray and Lofton to tie it, and Konerko took Blorowski deep to make it 10-8.

:hawk
"A LITTLE BLOOPER!! THAT'S GONNA FALL! HERE COMES LOFTON! HERE COMES RAY!! AND THIS GAME IS TIED AT EI~GHT!?!?! YESSSSSSSS!!!"

Call of konerko's two run homer to make it 10-8. (https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/bschalle/www/konerko.wav)

I love how Hawk says "board" in this clip.:D:

voodoochile
12-18-2004, 11:30 AM
No, that was all Konerko. Maggs singled in Ray and Lofton to tie it, and Konerko took Blorowski deep to make it 10-8.

"A LITTLE BLOOPER!! THAT'S GONNA FALL! HERE COMES LOFTON! HERE COMES RAY!! AND THIS GAME IS TIED AT EI~GHT!?!?! YESSSSSSSS!!!"

Call of konerko's two run homer to make it 10-8. (https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/bschalle/www/konerko.wav)

I love how Hawk says "board" in this clip.:D:
Frank had a line shot over the LF wall that was a huge part of the comeback. Maybe I am mis-remembering when it happened, but I do remember Frank smoking one into the bullpen.

santo=dorf
12-18-2004, 11:39 AM
Frank had a line shot over the LF wall that was a huge part of the comeback. Maybe I am mis-remembering when it happened, but I do remember Frank smoking one into the bullpen.No, Frank didn't homer in that game. http://www.baseball-almanac.com/box-scores/boxscore.php?boxid=200206280CHA He went 0-4 with a Sac fly.

He hit a line drive homer off of the Messiah in the Saturday game. http://www.baseball-almanac.com/box-scores/boxscore.php?boxid=200206290CHA

voodoochile
12-18-2004, 11:44 AM
No, Frank didn't homer in that game. http://www.baseball-almanac.com/box-scores/boxscore.php?boxid=200206280CHA He went 0-4 with a Sac fly.

He hit a line drive homer off of the Messiah in the Saturday game. http://www.baseball-almanac.com/box-scores/boxscore.php?boxid=200206290CHA
Well, there you go. This is why we have the Internet, because the human mind is not reliable...:D:

StillMissOzzie
12-19-2004, 03:57 AM
It was the third and deciding game of the first crosstown series. The Sox were in the process of putting the finishing touches on their series win. Someone in our section was throwing around a little stuffed bear. Some big guy grabbed it and pretty soon pieces of it were flying everywhere. The arms, legs and head each came flying out and finally he stood up clinching the bears now limbless torso in one fist raised high over his head and the section went nuts.

Was this near the left field foul pole? I was at one of those games in the inaugural "this time they count" Sox / sCrUBS series, and I recall a similar incident. LMAO, too.

SMO
:gulp:

Baines2Raines
12-19-2004, 04:12 AM
Was this near the left field foul pole? I was at one of those games in the inaugural "this time they count" Sox / sCrUBS series, and I recall a similar incident. LMAO, too.

SMO
The Winters Meetings in Anaheim are just down the road from where I live. I went to the hotel and everybody in baseball was there. I see Ozzie talking a few people and when he is done, I ask for his autograph on a card. No problem. He signs and is very nice. I see JR sitting down and talking to a few friends. Later I see JR tip a bellman for getting a FedEx package for him. I see KW walk from the pool area to the elevators. I see Ozzie again and ask him to sign two other cards I have. He signs and is very nice. Right then some rent a fat cop, asks me if I'm staying at the hotel? I say no. He says we have to talk outside. (Maybe he was taking a donut break when I first got Ozzie's autograph) He waddles outside and says there are no autographs allowed and if I come back to the hotel this weekend, he would call the cops. He then asks me to leave the hotel property for the "crime" of asking for an autograph. He follows me to make sure I walk off the property. I'm sure he felt like a real brave cop at that moment.

Ivan Calderon. I'm in KC and me and this one kid about 10 are the only people wanting White Sox autographs during BP. Ivan comes over and signs for the both of us. The kid gets his picture taken with Ivan and his mom tells Ivan, it's the kid's birthday. Ivan say wait right here and goes into the dugout. He brings the kid a ball and signs it Happy Birthday. The kid had a million dollar smile and was on cloud nine. I remembered this when I heard about Ivan getting shot and killed.

voodoochile
12-19-2004, 09:12 AM

SMO
Yes, right near there, but I think we were on the 3rd base line, not in the bleachers. We were pretty far back - almost by the concourse.

Did you buy Reinsy's infamous - buy 3 games to get a Cubs game package?

hose
12-19-2004, 09:21 AM
Well, there you go. This is why we have the Internet, because the human mind is not reliable...:D:

"Thats where I come in Voodoo, keeping the record straight."

:moron:

Soxzilla
12-19-2004, 10:00 AM
I can't really think right now, but there are a few that immediately pop into my head ... regardless of their importance on my all time favorite White Sox moments.

1) - I don't even remember what year this was (2000?), but the game winning double down the line in the 14th inning that scored Ray Durham against the Cubs was one of my favorite memories at new Comiskey. Who was it that got that hit? Frank or Jose?

2) - Getting home from school in time to watch game 3 of the ALDS against the Mariners, and watching James Baldwin pitch his heart out for 8 innings, despite his shoulder pain/injury. I was so upset when Guillen popped that bunt past Frank ... :(: . Going to game 2 when Sirotka pitched was also a great time ... except the idiot fans booed Frank Thomas because he struggled that series, and the fact we got pounded like 5-2.:(:

3) - After the Sox clinched in 2000, watching a drunk Konerko run around the Baggie Dome bases whilst listening to "Who let the Sox out":rolleyes:

4) - Watching the White Sox win the World Series in 2005.

HomeFish
12-19-2004, 11:16 AM
1) - I don't even remember what year this was (2000?), but the game winning double down the line in the 14th inning that scored Ray Durham against the Cubs was one of my favorite memories at new Comiskey. Who was it that got that hit? Frank or Jose?
[/color]

Neither. That was the Milkman making a 14th inning delivery.

SoxxoS
12-19-2004, 11:18 AM
The game winning Jose Valentin HR against the Scrubbies in 2003 at the Cell. I had great seats in the second row right next to the dugout on the 3B line...and there was only one row ahead of us, of course, filled with Cub fans...

Not to mention Shammy struck out twice with the bases loaded less than 2 out.

HomeFish
12-19-2004, 11:20 AM
Anyway, after some thought, my favorite story goes as follows.

Once upon a time, there was a Sox/Cubs game at Comiskey Park. David Wells started for us, and promptly gave up two runs before being taken out in the first inning. Some kid named Sean Lowe replaced him and pitched a tremendous game. The accursed ones scored again, but the Sox managed to tie the game. In the 9th inning, a guy named Bob Howry struck out Sosa, avenging Sosa's 9th inning homer off Bullet Bob the year before (the homer that led to the 14 inning game that Herbert Perry won for us). But the best moment came later. In the 11th inning. Carlos Lee came to bat with the bases loaded. Carlos Lee homered.

Carlos Lee will be missed.

Brian26
12-19-2004, 11:34 AM
The game winning Jose Valentin HR against the Scrubbies in 2003 at the Cell.
That was a great game...

EMel9281
12-19-2004, 03:16 PM
My favorite memory is a game against the Tigres in 2000. Jimmy "Butter" Parque was pitching that day. It was the game that had like 3 player fights. I remember Parque beaned someone and they charged the mound. When he got to him, Parque jump kicked him. I was sitting behind home plate at that one. Most entertaining!

Sox Mobile
12-19-2004, 04:17 PM
Most recently, 6/15/2004 at Pro Player Stadium, home of the worst eats in the big leagues. But one cool thing, beer guys greet you right inside the gate, and I suggest you get yourself a cold one for the long hike up the circular ramp to the concourse.

Sox down 4-0 going into the 8th. Nothing to do but wash down my cold limp fries with a 8 buck beer. Whats this? Oh boy, Rowand doubles, Uribe walks, Frank strolls to the plate and hits a 3 run dinger! Now its time for a celebratory 8 buck beer!

Garland gives up a homer to Lowell bottom of the 8th. Sox down by 2.

Benitiz makes his way to the mound, acting like he created both heaven and earth. Good thing I bought an extra last call 8 buck beer to cry in on my way down that darn ramp.

Hmmm.....way to go Crede......great effort with a double. But here comes Timo to the plate, oh well....... WHAT?? David just rocked Golioth with a 2 run homer?? HOLY ****!! Game tied. Sox fans in a frenzy.

Bottom of the 9th......Marte 1-2-3 fishes gone.

Now the best part! Carlos was hitless going into the 10th, hit streak on the line. Sox fans filled with joy and pride as he sets the franchise record with a double! A BIG Thank You to the baseball Gods for letting me see this and give Carlos a big cheer!

Olivo walks in a bases loaded run, Dransfedlt singles for a 7-5 lead. Shingo time, 1-2-3.

Sox fans floated down that ramp.

Side note, 6/17 Game 3 of the series, Frank reaggravated his ankle lumbering around first and was called out at second. You could tell he was in a world of Hurt, but he gave it everying thing he had as he hobbled to reach the base.

That ended Franks season, even with rest during the remainder of the interleague games, he would have been on the DL right then if not for interleague play.

I was at the Tampa Bay series in mid April when that ankle injury first started to surface. He had to pull up running the bases and limped off the field.

Frank played a good long time with a bum wheel last year. And put great numbers in spite of it.

Our hard working Frank will be back! GO SOX!

ChiWhiteSox1337
12-19-2004, 04:27 PM
The game winning Jose Valentin HR against the Scrubbies in 2003 at the Cell. I had great seats in the second row right next to the dugout on the 3B line...and there was only one row ahead of us, of course, filled with Cub fans...

Not to mention Shammy struck out twice with the bases loaded less than 2 out. Great game. I was going to post this as well

Another fav. of mine was the HR derby vs the phillies back in june this year on tuesday night and back in 1996 or 97 when the sox had back to back to back to back HRs vs the brew crew when they were still in the AL. Darn you Bud for moving the brew crew into the NL :angry:

chisoxmike
12-19-2004, 04:37 PM
There have been a lot of recent great memories at games:

7/24/04 vs Tigers: Probably the best game I've been to, down 6-2 in the 7th Crede hits a 2-run double, the Sox tied it in the 8th, and won it in the 9th on a Crede solo HR. I was sitting in the left field seats. It was great, especially after the Sox looked lifeless for 6 innings. Also note, it was the last day they were in first place in 2004.

6/27/03 vs. Cubs. Valentine walkoff HR, need I say more. A Cub fan went after me after the game for cheering.

9/8/03 vs. Twins: Closest I've seen a playoff like atmosphere at the Cell in a long time. Sox win 5-2 putting them in first place. They scored all 5 in the first inning, left the rest to Colon who pitched a great game. I, like most of you, really thought 2003 was our year to go deep into the playoffs.

MRKARNO
12-19-2004, 04:49 PM
back in 1996 or 97 when the sox had back to back to back to back HRs vs the brew crew when they were still in the AL. Darn you Bud for moving the brew crew into the NL :angry: I'm pretty sure I was at that game, but wasnt it Back to back, then a double and then a homer? And it was an 8-run inning, right?

Palehose13
12-19-2004, 04:57 PM
Two games that I were at that were phenomenal:

Jose's HR to win the first game against the evil empire at the Cell in 2004.

Robin Ventura's walk-off grand slam the first year at new Comiskey...the one where Frank picks him up and pretty much carried him over his shoulder.

I have a couple other non-game related moments, but I can't share those... :wink:

MHOUSE
12-19-2004, 07:21 PM
My first Sox game in early '03 vs. the Tigers. It was really cold in the shadows of the upper deck. Buehrle pitched 8 innings and won while Frank and Jose hit homeruns. We demolished Maroth en route to his 21-loss season.

Jose's walkoff homerun against the Cubs in 2004 at the Cell. Arms raised, he knew it was gone.

santo=dorf
12-19-2004, 07:37 PM
My first Sox game in early '03 vs. the Tigers. It was really cold in the shadows of the upper deck. Buehrle pitched 8 innings and won while Frank and Jose hit homeruns. We demolished Maroth en route to his 21-loss season.

Jose's walkoff homerun against the Cubs in 2004 at the Cell. Arms raised, he knew it was gone.
Jose's walk off was in 2003, I was there.

zach074
12-19-2004, 08:20 PM
My favorites are when Olivo hit that grandslam at wrigley in the 1st game in 2003, then i went to the 2nd game with Buehrle got a base hit and an rbi, and big mo through out someone trying to steal second in the 9th.

HomeFish
12-19-2004, 09:09 PM
My favorites are when Olivo hit that grandslam at wrigley in the 1st game in 2003

Why can't they still have Estes? I liked him so much...

jake27
12-19-2004, 09:32 PM
here are mine....

1.) i forgot the date and who they were playing, but it was early in the 03' season. it was FREZZING outside and due to that, there werent many people there. so me and 2 of my friends got 2nd row seats right next to the sox bullpen. we kept wondering if we were gonna freeze. i had never gotten a ball at a ballgame til' billy koch cmae into the game and tossed me the ball he was warming up with. friends came back and thought i was lying :cool:

2.) fuji film day, 04'. jamie burke comes up for a picture with me and i show him my burke jersey. he looks really weired out. then i got my picture with rowand and he said "hey a burke jersey, has burkie seen this yet?" i replied "yeah he looked weirded out". he replied "yeah thats the 1st person that has worn his jersey".

3.) me wanting to see franks 400th home run and ended up going to the games where he hit his 399th and 401th :mad:

WikdChiSoxFan
12-19-2004, 10:15 PM
Favorite Moment for Now:

First game of Sox/Cubs at the Cell last year...

2 men on, Zambrano on the mound...he was looking good and it looked like he was gonna pitch out of this jamb...of course the place is packed...70% Scrub fans, so then there's this standing ovation for Zambrano pitching out of this inning...this pisses the hell out of me...i mean, a standing ovation for the away team pitcher, i was furious.:angry:

PK comes to the plate and is just hanging in there and I'm sitting back next to my scrub fan brother (:angry: he defected like 2 years ago) and i'm thinking just praying that pauliee will smoke one and shut all these jerks up, and most of all my brother...

Konerko delivers...

I went nuts and that whole park turned itself inside out...the cub fans sat there stupid faces down and the sox fans were up going absolutely nuts....

that felt so good...so good (we lost that game, but still that was just a great moment)

also, the next game i went with some buddies and paid $85 for upper deck seats to see our #5 pitch against the cubs...some guy named Felix Diaz...i know we all know now what Felix is capable of, but when he was on the mound that day he was god! I mean it felt so good to shut that stupid blue and red minor league team down with our #5...i mean a White Sox 5th starter...that felt so good! And every out i would scream in face of this steriod using (the man was like 30 and his face looked like he had been dragged on his face on the way to the game) clueless scrub loser...it felt sooo good...

oh and one more....i forget the circumstances, but Colon was in the game and just thowing rockets, he was untouchable....anyway, late in the game (oh it was against the orioles, I believe...it was a sweep) our opponent intentionally hits one of our guys....the next inning, the 8th, Colon goes out to the mound, he's done, he had thrown a ton of pitches, everybody in the stadium knew why he was out there...i think it was the second pitch, but Colon launches 98mph of revenge and get him square in the back...Colon got ejected and everybody loved it...it felt soooo good. And then it was a sweep and they wouldn't let us bring our brooms into the skybox that I got invited to and I remember my buddy had a little umpires broom and was hanging out the window, sweeping with his little broom at the people below....ah good times....

ok so i could go on and on, but I don't want anyone reading this to get a little worried if i say "it felt soooo good" one more time

Rocklive99
12-19-2004, 11:36 PM
The Cubs/Sox game with that collision at the plate with Sandy. The sound / feeling in the stadium when the ump did the 'out' motion is undescribable

Meeting Frank Thomas at SoxFest was also awesome. I wasn't sure what to expect after what you hear from the media, but easily the nicest athlete I've ever met.

santo=dorf
12-20-2004, 10:08 AM
then i went to the 2nd game with Buehrle got a base hit and an rbi, and big mo through out someone trying to steal second in the 9th.
Josh Paul was the one who threw out Tom Goodwin, not Olivo.
We can all thank Joe Nossek for that play. :smile:

Baby Fisk
12-20-2004, 10:17 AM
Early 1993, Roberto Hernandez got the call to pitch the 8th and 9th innings for the Sox and struck out 6 straight batters. I can't remember the opponent or the final score, but I remember 6 STRAIGHT STRIKEOUTS. Why I remember this is because I was in university at the time and bumped into a fellow Sox fan (a rarity) at a meeting on campus (April 93) and we spent the entire meeting at the back of the room gloating over Hernandez's stud performance and the Sox's chances that year. It was a rare moment to talk Sox with another hardcore fan in person. :cool:

DMarte708
12-20-2004, 10:38 AM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this moment. I taped the replay of this game and often view it:

July 2 2003: inaugural game of recent acquisitions Carl Everett and Robbie. It was the finale of a three game series; Sox won the previous two games.

Bottom of the 9th, 6-5 Twins, 2 outs, "Everyday" Eddie Guardado prepares for Paul Konerko. Paul Konerko is in the midst of a terrible slump, but picks the right time to come up big. First pitch fastball Konerko muscles over the LF wall. Sizable portion of crowd walking out of the ballpark rushed back to their seats.

"GET BACK THERE........MOHR JUMPS......YOU CAN PUT IT ON THE BOARD, YES! PAUL KONERKO...HAS TIED THIS GAME, AT SIX!"

Three innings later, 2 outs, with Robbie Alomar occupying second base, Frank Thomas works himself a full count after falling behind 0-2. Crowd stands; beckoning Thomas to end the game with one swing. He obliges our requests.

"HIGH AND DEEP......WAY BACK......YOU CAN PUT IT ON THE BOARD, YES! (Silent while Frank circles bases with Fireworks). THE WHITE SOX, SWEEP THE TWINS WITH A 8-6 VICTORY!" FSN cuts to shot of Broom sitting in scrubs near CF.

Of course, two days later Botch botched a two run lead in the 9th to Carl Crawford. :whiner:

zach074
12-20-2004, 10:47 AM
Josh Paul was the one who threw out Tom Goodwin, not Olivo.
We can all thank Joe Nossek for that play. :smile:
O yea i forgot about him, i just like to think it was olvio.:(:

EMel9281
12-20-2004, 11:55 AM
Speaking of Miguel, another memory just came back rushing into my mind...

Miguel Olivo's last game as a member of the White Sox...

I was there, and, as I recall, he had a very good offensive game. He went deep down the leftfield line. Then, he got pulled in the 8th.

That's all I can remember, no particulars. Curse my mind!

voodoochile
12-20-2004, 12:01 PM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this moment. I taped the replay of this game and often view it:

July 2 2003: inaugural game of recent acquisitions Carl Everett and Robbie. It was the finale of a three game series; Sox won the previous two games.

Bottom of the 9th, 6-5 Twins, 2 outs, "Everyday" Eddie Guardado prepares for Paul Konerko. Paul Konerko is in the midst of a terrible slump, but picks the right time to come up big. First pitch fastball Konerko muscles over the LF wall. Sizable portion of crowd walking out of the ballpark rushed back to their seats.

"GET BACK THERE........MOHR JUMPS......YOU CAN PUT IT ON THE BOARD, YES! PAUL KONERKO...HAS TIED THIS GAME, AT SIX!"

Three innings later, 2 outs, with Robbie Alomar occupying second base, Frank Thomas works himself a full count after falling behind 0-2. Crowd stands; beckoning Thomas to end the game with one swing. He obliges our requests.

"HIGH AND DEEP......WAY BACK......YOU CAN PUT IT ON THE BOARD, YES! (Silent while Frank circles bases with Fireworks). THE WHITE SOX, SWEEP THE TWINS WITH A 8-6 VICTORY!" FSN cuts to shot of Broom sitting in scrubs near CF.
That at bat from Frank was a classic. He not only worked back from 0-2 he ended up seeing like 13 pitches and fouling off like 6 in a row before jacking it into the seats. Carl Everett called it his favorite moment of the season and when asked why he didn't pick one of his own moments, he said that he wasn't into personal stats he just wanted to win.

stillz
12-20-2004, 12:12 PM
This is sort of a personal one I've wanted to share with other fans for awhile..

In May of 2004, my Dad passed away after a protracted battle with bone cancer. In the weeks leading up to his death, he made it known to my brothers and me that despite being weak and confined to a wheelchair, he wanted to go to a Sox game one last time.

We attended the April 24th game versus Tampa Bay. It was cold that day and the Sox lost, but our experience was one I'll never forget.

Before we went, we contacted the community relations people at US Cellular to see if we could get my Dad's name on the scoreboard between innings. We explained that this would be his last game, and that he was a life-long fan. They said they would certainly put a welcome on the scoreboard, but also to check-in at the media gate an hour before the game. Upon our arrival, a rep from the club met us and to our surprise, had us wheel my Dad back to the clubhouse entrance. There, Harold Baines and Ozzie Guillen, two of his all-time favorite players, emerged to say hello and sign autographs. After that, they had us wheel my dad out onto the field behind home plate to take some photos. To top it all off, they exchanged our tickets for better ones and gave us access to the bullpen sports bar.

Now my Dad was always one to rip management... his fan frustrations with JR and company compounding almost daily. But the show of appreciation from the organization on that particular day made a lifetime of patronage seem validated. It made me realize that while a playoff appearance and eventual trip to the world series are the ultimate goals, the real prize for any Sox fan is simply to take in a game.

Happy Holidays and Go Sox!

SoxxoS
12-20-2004, 12:37 PM
That is a touching story, stillz. Sorry to hear about your loss.

tebman
12-20-2004, 01:39 PM
My favorite story isn't a specific event, but an experience. My memories of the Sox go back to 1960, but for me there's no topping the 1977 season. They didn't win it that year but they (and all of us) had a hell of a good time.

I think there was some vindication in that year, which made it especially sweet. MLB tried to move the Sox to Seattle in '75, and when Veeck bought the team they tried to stop him. Then Veeck got sucker-punched by the Messersmith decision right after his group bought the team, putting the Sox in a hopeless competitive position. The irony was that Veeck had advocated free agency for years, but nobody listened. Now when it happened he was the one who got stung by it.

Anyway, the Sox, and by extension, Sox fans, got no respect and no credibility. Then as the '77 season wore on there was this who-are-these-guys reaction from everywhere as the Sox tore up the league. I was lucky enough to be a young man introducing his wife to baseball that year and I've never had so much fun in a ballpark before or since.

Good fun, good friends -- it all came together that year.

- tebman

Sox Mobile
12-20-2004, 02:33 PM
Stillz, thanx for sharing your story. You Dad is a true hero, his courage and strength made it possible for his sons to have a one of a kind memory.

And thank you for pointing out that its really just love of the game that is important.