PDA

View Full Version : Clement signs with Sox....RED SOX!!!

GiveMeSox
12-17-2004, 10:19 PM
From rotoworld:
"According to his agent, Matt Clement has decided to sign with Boston over Anaheim.
Clement will get a three-year deal in the $25 million range. It's fair value for a 30-year-old we like more than Eric Milton, Jaret Wright and most of the other second-tier free-agent pitchers. Clement will join Curt Schilling, David Wells, Bronson Arroyo and Tim Wakefield in Boston's rotation. John Halama and Byung Hyun-Kim look like candidates to replace Schilling in the early going"

SouthSide_HitMen
12-17-2004, 10:27 PM
Maybe there is a typo in the contract and he signed with the White Sox after all. I guess that is our only hope.

Clement's beard
12-17-2004, 10:29 PM
Ya know what? This is a cheap team with no willingness to play with the big boys. They saved all this money with Lee and Maggs and they come up with an inferior offer.

I read in the paper that Kenny was going to spend this money and get a starter. Well, now what?

Frank the Tank
12-17-2004, 10:30 PM
Not spending money for the right reasons is better than throwing money away for the wrong reasons.

Clement's beard
12-17-2004, 10:34 PM
Not spending money for the right reasons is better than throwing money away for the wrong reasons.
Care to tell me why giving the money to Clement would be throwing money away? I guess the Red Sox feel differently and they only won the world series.

Red Sox Yankees and the cubs spend and they get the best players. Not magic we are talking about here.

Dub25
12-17-2004, 11:07 PM
Care to tell me why giving the money to Clement would be throwing money away? I guess the Red Sox feel differently and they only won the world series.

Red Sox Yankees and the cubs spend and they get the best players. Not magic we are talking about here.
I would like to know as well. :?:

Jabroni
12-17-2004, 11:23 PM
Ya know what? This is a cheap team with no willingness to play with the big boys. They saved all this money with Lee and Maggs and they come up with an inferior offer.

I read in the paper that Kenny was going to spend this money and get a starter. Well, now what?I think you're just pissed because your user name looks retarded now. Who will you be next -- Lima's herpes? :tongue:

Jjav829
12-17-2004, 11:26 PM
I think you're just pissed because your user name looks retarded now. Who will you be next -- Lima's herpes? :tongue:
It's still better than that PavanoBeltran'05 guy. :cool:

Jabroni
12-17-2004, 11:26 PM
It's still better than that PavanoBeltran'05 guy. :cool:Ouch. Yeah, that is worse. :?:

wdelaney72
12-17-2004, 11:59 PM
I'm furious, yet I know I shouldn't be surprised. Given what the other FA pitchers have been signing for, Boston did not overpay. Obviously neither did we. Here we are stuck again with a less than adequate 1-5 rotation. Grilli, SS, Hermanson... not acceptable.

Kenny missed the boat on this one. I have officially removed myself from the FOKW list.

And yes, I encourage many rounds of boos for Matt Clement. I only say that becuase of his public statements of "loving the city of Chicago." He must not love it that much.

nodiggity59
12-18-2004, 12:10 AM
Clement sucks...and I still think we needed him this year. Doesn't bode well for us:(:

SpartanSoxFan
12-18-2004, 12:16 AM
From rotoworld:
"According to his agent, Matt Clement has decided to sign with Boston over Anaheim.
Clement will get a three-year deal in the $25 million range. It's fair value for a 30-year-old we like more than Eric Milton, Jaret Wright and most of the other second-tier free-agent pitchers. Clement will join Curt Schilling, David Wells, Bronson Arroyo and Tim Wakefield in Boston's rotation. John Halama and Byung Hyun-Kim look like candidates to replace Schilling in the early going"
WAY TO BE ON THE BALL, KW....:angry:

ondafarm
12-18-2004, 12:36 AM
I think you're just pissed because your user name looks retarded now.
I think that'd be true even if Clement had signed with the White Sox.

DaveIsHere
12-18-2004, 02:39 AM
for some reason I have the feeling that we will be glad that we did not sign Clement this year, it may be the 5 rum 'n cokes I had with my neighbors,but I just have this feeling inside:cool:

minastirith67
12-18-2004, 04:09 AM
As a community, can we please stop referring to the Red Sox as 'Sox'...I don't think this needs to be explained.

TheBull19
12-18-2004, 04:44 AM
I'm furious, yet I know I shouldn't be surprised. Given what the other FA pitchers have been signing for, Boston did not overpay. Obviously neither did we. Here we are stuck again with a less than adequate 1-5 rotation. Grilli, SS, Hermanson... not acceptable.

Kenny missed the boat on this one. I have officially removed myself from the FOKW list.

You express my sentiments 100%, particularly the first line, unless KW signs O Perez, otherwise he's totally duped us after the Lee trade.

pearso66
12-18-2004, 10:03 AM
I myself am not ticked that we didn't get Clement. It was a wash for me if we signed him. I am worried he will get hurt, or maybe that he is already, remember how bad he was the last half of last year. If we signed him, i wouldnt have complained, but i always wanted Perez over Clement. I'll be more ticked if we dont get Perez, but I still won't be all that mad.

TheBull19
12-18-2004, 11:53 AM
I myself am not ticked that we didn't get Clement. It was a wash for me if we signed him. I am worried he will get hurt, or maybe that he is already, remember how bad he was the last half of last year. If we signed him, i wouldnt have complained, but i always wanted Perez over Clement. I'll be more ticked if we dont get Perez, but I still won't be all that mad.I'd take either one, but now that Perez is the last "good" FA available, it seems even more unlikely. I don't see how it'd be a wash to have Clement vs. whoever the in-house nightmare will be, though.

Fenway
12-18-2004, 09:59 PM
As a community, can we please stop referring to the Red Sox as 'Sox'...I don't think this needs to be explained.well depends where on http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:n8abTknroBoJ:www.angelfire.com/rnb/bill4/90.JPG http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:Aozddg7rewwJ:web.mit.edu/smalpert/www/roads/ma/i-90/22-fenway.jpgyou are :D:

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2004/12/18/void_is_filled_with_clement?mode=PF
Void is filled with Clement

Righthander gets three years, $25m

By Gordon Edes, Globe Staff | December 18, 2004

With the supply of attractive pitching options dwindling daily -- they lost Pedro Martinez to the Mets, missed on Tim Hudson, and are resigned to Randy Johnson becoming a Yankee -- the Red Sox struck again last night, coming to terms with free agent Matt Clement on a three-year deal that will pay the righthander in the neighborhood of $25 million.

Clement's agent, Barry Axelrod, confirmed the agreement last night, and Clement may be in Boston as early as Monday for the requisite physical and official announcement. Clement chose the Sox from among eight offers from other clubs, including the Angels and Dodgers. The Cardinals inquired but did not put an offer on the table.

chisoxmike
12-18-2004, 10:05 PM
I'd take either one, but now that Perez is the last "good" FA available, it seems even more unlikely. I don't see how it'd be a wash to have Clement vs. whoever the in-house nightmare will be, though.
I don't know about that, why is everyone so down on Derek Lowe?

Fenway
12-18-2004, 10:08 PM
Boston management went sour on Lowe because of reports in the press about his drinking

so to replace Lowe they hire David Wells :?:

Tragg
12-19-2004, 01:00 AM
Didn't pitch well in the regular season.

Fenway
01-12-2005, 04:49 PM
Matt Clement gives first Boston interview ( audio WEEI 1-12-2005 )

http://rope.weei-am.fimc.net/audio/011205MattClement.wma

MUsoxfan
01-12-2005, 04:55 PM
Matt Clement gives first Boston interview ( audio WEEI 1-12-2005 )

http://rope.weei-am.fimc.net/audio/011205MattClement.wma
Without subjecting myself to that, does he at all badmouth the Cubs? Because that would be swell.:smile: