PDA

View Full Version : Will we sign Odalis?

MRKARNO
12-17-2004, 09:48 PM
It's pretty much Odalis or bust at this point. Will we get him or not?

soltrain21
12-17-2004, 09:50 PM
Nope...too many other teams out there..and it seems like we give it the college try everytime.

batmanZoSo
12-17-2004, 09:51 PM
It's pretty much Odalis or bust at this point. Will we get him or not?
I don't know, Frank Tanana I think's got a few innings left in the ol' flipper.

HomeFish
12-17-2004, 09:55 PM
We'd have trouble outbidding Toronto or even Cleveland, not to mention Anaheim.

SouthSide_HitMen
12-17-2004, 09:58 PM
Rumor has it that Kenny Williams is talking to Jesse Orosco about a three year deal. LOL

Outside of Perez and possibly Milton, I don't see who else will fill in for the Sox. The Carlos Lee money better be spent (unlike the $36 mil Bartolo Colon money that just sat in the bank after the offer).

Hopefully the remaining free agents don't feel the same way about White Sox prospects as Clement - quote from Clement's agent

"I think the overriding factor became where he thought would be the best chance for him to win for all three years for the contract he was going to enter into. Boston and the Angels have dedicated ownership and management to have them in contention year after year."

oeo
12-17-2004, 09:59 PM
I'm sick of being optimistic...it's time to be a pessimist!

I'd hope that they would sign the guy, but who knows? Has anyone heard any word of a deal with this guy from any teams?

popilius
12-17-2004, 10:05 PM
I'd rather have Perez than Milton. Perez had a 3.25 ERA to Milton's 4.75. Plus, Perez had a staggering 18 no-decisions. He easily could have been a 15-game winner, but becuase the Dodgers gave him no run support, he may not comand as big a contract as Milton. Also, he Hot Stove at MLB.com reports that Anaheim has been interested in Milton. Hopefully, they will go after Milton rather than Odalis.

MRKARNO
12-17-2004, 10:09 PM
I dont get why everyone's so interested in Milton. We're talking about a guy who averages about a 4.6 ERA, is clearly not improving and gave up a staggering 43 home runs last year, but if the Angels want him over Perez, be my guest Stoneman.

Jabroni
12-17-2004, 10:11 PM
Dammit, just give the same offer to Odalis Perez right now. KW wanted him in the past. I don't think I will be able to stomach Grilli as our 5th starter.

popilius
12-17-2004, 10:14 PM
I dont get why everyone's so interested in Milton. We're talking about a guy who averages about a 4.6 ERA, is clearly not improving and gave up a staggering 43 home runs last year, but if the Angels want him over Perez, be my guest Stoneman.
That's what I'm saying. . . Milton is definitely overrated. . .

SomebodyToldMe
12-17-2004, 10:31 PM
I voted bust. I have a feeling we're done for the offseason.

Jjav829
12-17-2004, 10:34 PM
At this point, I'm just hoping some surprise starter gets non-tendered and we can grab him. I can't see Perez in a White Sox uniform.

wdelaney72
12-18-2004, 12:02 AM
Those of us who listened to Kenny's video conference on the C. Lee trade where he made it very clear Clement was his #1 priority, can say with great certainty the Sox are done with signing FA of signifficance.

ondafarm
12-18-2004, 12:06 AM
I don't see the White Sox making any major FA signings. I think they are set for catcher, infield and outfield, SP and RP. Or at least, I think they think they are set.

FightingBillini
12-18-2004, 12:21 AM
I wanted Perez more than Clement to begin with, but this is extremely disheartening. I thought we would be able to sign him because he supposedly wanted to stay in Chicago. Hopefully Kenny was fooling every one of us, and was really dotting the I's and crossing the T's on a contract for Odalis the whole time. If not, I fear we wont get him.

I believe the only other move KW will make is signing Queerzinski. That way, we will go into July with plenty of money to spend. Why oh why was I born a White Sox fan?

Does anyone else feel that the White Sox are the Al Bundy of MLB?

BRDSR
12-18-2004, 02:09 AM
I voted bust. I have a feeling we're done for the offseason.
I doubt it. I think we'll either significantly upgrade our pitching staff(this gets my vote) or significantly upgrade catcher and/or second base. I don't think that JR and KW think they can sit on the 6 million they saved on the Lee deal. If they do think so, they're going to be dissappointed with the number of wins on the field and butts in the seats next season.

Baines2Raines
12-18-2004, 02:34 AM
Does the name Loaiza ring a bell to anybody? Nobody expected him to be a 20 game winner and finish in the Top 5 for the Cy Young. And even if he was a one year wonder, that's all the White Sox need for 2005. I don't understand why people are so worried RIGHT now, Dec 18th that the White Sox do not have a 5th starter. As I've been saying you never know what's going to happen. If Grilli is dominate in the spring or any prospect pitches well in the spring, or some nobody makes an impact like Loaiza did a couple years ago, the 5th starter issue is solved. Maybe the White Sox can use the extra money for a solid catcher. Why panic now?

Plus I'm more worried about Conty and Garcia pitching well enough to be considered Top 3 starters. And the fact that Buehrle has given up more hits each of the past four years. 188 to 236 to 250 to 257.

California Sox
12-18-2004, 02:50 AM
...Why panic now? Plus I'm more worried about Conty and Garcia pitching well enough to be considered Top 3 starters. And the fact that Buehrle has given up more hits each of the past four years. 188 to 236 to 250 to 257.
Actually, I was feeling more optimistic before I read your post. Jeez, now I'm really depressed. :(:

jabrch
12-18-2004, 02:56 AM
The other rumor is that we squeeze in as a fourth team to the yet-to-be-final RJ deal and get Vazquez for some combination of players. Unfortunately that might include Garland which would leave us STILL needing one more SP.

Baines2Raines
12-18-2004, 03:13 AM
Actually, I was feeling more optimistic before I read your post. Jeez, now I'm really depressed. :(:
Good. I can't believe people actually think the White Sox will have a solid starting staff if they sign a Perez or Clement. Garcia hasn't done much since the M's won 116 games. And while I do like MB, is he a Mark Langston or Pink Floyd or Zito? Good pitcher but not a championship pitcher? MB has to prove he can be the #1 starter on a division winning team. And Conty? Why were the Yankees thrilled to get rid of him. I know he had problems. But a true professional can put those things aside and win.

SomebodyToldMe
12-18-2004, 03:13 AM
Does the name Loaiza ring a bell to anybody? Nobody expected him to be a 20 game winner and finish in the Top 5 for the Cy Young. And even if he was a one year wonder, that's all the White Sox need for 2005. I don't understand why people are so worried RIGHT now, Dec 18th that the White Sox do not have a 5th starter. As I've been saying you never know what's going to happen. If Grilli is dominate in the spring or any prospect pitches well in the spring, or some nobody makes an impact like Loaiza did a couple years ago, the 5th starter issue is solved. Maybe the White Sox can use the extra money for a solid catcher. Why panic now?

Plus I'm more worried about Conty and Garcia pitching well enough to be considered Top 3 starters. And the fact that Buehrle has given up more hits each of the past four years. 188 to 236 to 250 to 257.
Why are you worried about Freddy? The guy's been amazing pretty much every year he's been in the majors. Last year the record was crappy because he played half the season with the Mariners.

Don't worry about Freddy. Worry about Garland. And maybe Jose.

Baines2Raines
12-18-2004, 03:18 AM
Why are you worried about Freddy? The guy's been amazing pretty much every year he's been in the majors. Last year the record was crappy because he played half the season with the Mariners.

Don't worry about Freddy. Worry about Garland. And maybe Jose.
He's got great stuff. But check his stats. But his ERA is always high. He gives up alot of hits especially HR's. He's struggled after the AS break. In the M's fade of 2002 I think he won 2 games after the AS. Yeah let's not worry about Freddy.

Jabroni
12-18-2004, 03:37 AM
Odalis is the best pitcher available now and he's only 27 years old. Let's see what kind of contract the market holds for him. :(:

Jabroni
12-18-2004, 04:00 AM
I wanted Perez more than Clement to begin with, but this is extremely disheartening. I thought we would be able to sign him because he supposedly wanted to stay in Chicago. Hopefully Kenny was fooling every one of us, and was really dotting the I's and crossing the T's on a contract for Odalis the whole time. If not, I fear we wont get him.

I believe the only other move KW will make is signing Queerzinski. That way, we will go into July with plenty of money to spend. Why oh why was I born a White Sox fan?

Does anyone else feel that the White Sox are the Al Bundy of MLB?Agreed. If we don't get Odalis, I think the only move we make is signing Pierzynski. I would be impressed if we signed both Perez AND Pierzynski though.

Mohoney
12-18-2004, 09:12 AM
Unfortunately that might include Garland which would leave us STILL needing one more SP.
With the savings from the Lee trade, and the savings from this trade courtesy of Steinbrenner, we have more than enough to sign Perez to this $7 million a year standard that's been set, and make a run at a suitable 1st base replacement.

As long as Marte isn't in this trade, I'm in favor of it.

MRKARNO
12-18-2004, 09:42 AM

Because serious teams dont rely on the Loaiza-like emergences to win their divisions. At worst, they'll bring in 2 proven veterans who are problemed and on the wrong side of 30 to battle it out for the 5th spot.

MRKARNO
12-18-2004, 09:43 AM
With the savings from the Lee trade, and the savings from this trade courtesy of Steinbrenner, we have more than enough to sign Perez to this $7 million a year standard that's been set, and make a run at a suitable 1st base replacement.

As long as Marte isn't in this trade, I'm in favor of it.
Here's a scenario I would be happy with:

Konerko and Garland for Vazquez
White Sox sign Odalis Perez
White Sox trade something not too major to the Red Sox for Kevin Millar

Dick Allen
12-18-2004, 12:13 PM
Will the Sox sign Perez? What the #$%%@*& do you think?!! Remember this #@!$%*^& organization that we're stuck with!

Lip Man 1
12-18-2004, 12:25 PM
Dick:

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Lip