PDA

View Full Version : Best and Worst Offseason thus far?

NonetheLoaiza
12-17-2004, 05:19 PM
Any nominations? The offseason is obviously still young, but who has taken advantage already? On the other end of the spectrum, I would have to say the Dbacks and Tigers have looked foolish this offseason, pending the RJ trade...

santo=dorf
12-17-2004, 05:29 PM
The Tigers have opened up their yappers talking about signing a combination of Pavano, Drew, Glaus, Kent, Beltran, Beltre, Lowe, Renteria, or Finley and all they have to show for it so far is giving $12 million to Troy Percival. :roflmao:

I also recall reading on Ben Maller that Comerica will be adding seats where the current bullpen is, and putting the new bullpen in left center.

ilsox7
12-17-2004, 05:36 PM
Pedro is the worst move. Too long, too much. All for a whiney, little...

fquaye149
12-17-2004, 05:42 PM
think about the mets' two pitcher signings: pedro and benson...

MeanFish
12-17-2004, 05:44 PM
Pedro is the worst move. Too long, too much. All for a whiney, little...
The Mets having a bad offseason? That *never* happens!

danimal81
12-17-2004, 05:51 PM
This is tough;

over $100 million for Sexson and Beltre or over $80 million for Glaus and Ortiz.:(:

D-Backs, my final answer is Arizona.

What was that last night, Regis on the "Apprentice". That little yenta.

maurice
12-17-2004, 05:58 PM
Honorable mention goes to the cubs. None of their fans noticed, but they're in salary dump mode following last offseason's spending splurge. So far, they dumped a very productive starting pitcher, their most productive hitter, and some other vets, and they're looking to dump Sosa as well. In the unlikely event that they're able to dump Sosa, they'll have to send mucho dinero and/or more valuable players along with him. If Sosa stays, they will add nobody of any consequence. Their "big signings" to date are all their own FAs.

Win1ForMe
12-17-2004, 06:12 PM
This is though. I have to figure the Yankees have had the best off-season, simply because they added Pavano, Wright, and eventually will add Johnson. They play by different rules, so even though they overpaid for both FA pitchers, it's not really a problem for them

For the worst, I really think Oakland got screwed over in the Hudson deal. They could have gotten a lot more IMO. And the Cubs have not done anything except lose Alou and Clement. Now, Alou isn't a great player or anything but he did have a great season last year. So, unless they sign Beltran, the Cubs will be hard pressed to replace that type of production. As far Clement, people should realize that he had the 2nd lowest starter's ERA on that team behind Zambrano. Anytime a team losses their second best hitter and second best pitcher, I wouldn't call that a great off-season.

OurBitchinMinny
12-17-2004, 07:17 PM
Honorable mention goes to the cubs. None of their fans noticed, but they're in salary dump mode following last offseason's spending splurge. So far, they dumped a very productive starting pitcher, their most productive hitter, and some other vets, and they're looking to dump Sosa as well. In the unlikely event that they're able to dump Sosa, they'll have to send mucho dinero and/or more valuable players along with him. If Sosa stays, they will add nobody of any consequence. Their "big signings" to date are all their own FAs.
They are trying to clear money for beltran. And he will sign with them i think if they free up the money

MRKARNO
12-17-2004, 07:33 PM
Worst is probably Detroit because they were supposed to be contenders in the FA market and they'll probably end up with overpaid garbage like Millwood. Cleveland didnt do anything to help themselves either (Trading away Lawton for Rhodes was a bad deal) and their bullpen is still gonna suck next year at this rate.
The Dodgers are probably going to be up there if they cant get another FA. Jeff Kent is not going to solve their problems. They should have kept Odalis Perez and they really need rotation help.

The two best have been the Braves and Milwaukee. Milwaukee got Lee, Damien Miller and Capellan, all of which should help them a lot. The Braves got Kolb and Hudson and are reverting back to the pitching ways that got them started on the division title streak in the first place.

Palehose13
12-17-2004, 07:53 PM
This is though. I have to figure the Yankees have had the best off-season, simply because they added Pavano, Wright, and eventually will add Johnson. They play by different rules, so even though they overpaid for both FA pitchers, it's not really a problem for them

For the worst, I really think Oakland got screwed over in the Hudson deal. They could have gotten a lot more IMO. And the Cubs have not done anything except lose Alou and Clement. Now, Alou isn't a great player or anything but he did have a great season last year. So, unless they sign Beltran, the Cubs will be hard pressed to replace that type of production. As far Clement, people should realize that he had the 2nd lowest starter's ERA on that team behind Zambrano. Anytime a team losses their second best hitter and second best pitcher, I wouldn't call that a great off-season.
But they got Nomar!

Mohoney
12-17-2004, 08:21 PM
What a disaster!

The fact that Minaya gave Benson that kind of money is just a rubber stamp affirming the ineptitude of this team.

Uribe's Weed
12-17-2004, 08:37 PM
It mystifies me how Clayton somehow lands with a team every year.

PaleHoseGeorge
12-17-2004, 08:42 PM
It mystifies me how Clayton somehow lands with a team every year.
Royce himself noted (naturally), he set a fielding percentage record that will probably last forever. Who wouldn't want that?
:wink:

And besides, as Royce himself noted (naturally), if you're going to start cutting guys for wearing gym shoes then there are going to be lots of guys guilty of that.
:wink::wink:

doublem23
12-17-2004, 08:48 PM
If the RJ deal goes through with LA in the middle as reported, the Dodgers have had a horrible off-season, as well. I don't know what they're going to do with a team that only scored 761 runs last missing 2 guys that drove in 207 (over 25% for those of you keeping score at home).

Jerome
12-18-2004, 02:44 AM
There was a team in the AL Central who last year got a combined 40 hrs and 135+ RBIs in about 690 ABs from two certain corner outfielders.

This offseason the team replaced the production of those two certain corner outfielders with two players who, in a combined total of 1172 ABs, combined for a mere 35 HRs and 129 RBIs.

2004 Total production of corner outfielders: (690 combined ABs)
135+ RBIs
40 Hrs

2004 Total production of corner outfielders who replaced CLEE and Maggs: (1172 combined ABs)
129 RBIs
35 Hrs

I'm not saying that we have had the worst offseason off all the teams. (As long as the Nationals are around, our moves will be brilliant by comparison.)

But our offseason certainly belongs in 'not good' territory.

TheBull19
12-18-2004, 04:51 AM
It mystifies me how Clayton somehow lands with a team every year.It probably wouldn't mystify you so much if you watched as many D'backs games as me last year. Their infielders made Clayton look like Barry Larkin, circa 1995

munchman33
12-18-2004, 12:25 PM
Well, if you're talking about their money, I can see your point. But those two guys would look mighty good at the bottom of our rotation right about now.

balke
12-19-2004, 11:57 AM
In terms of talent, Once the RJ trade goes through, I might go so far as to say that the D-backs have done the best so far. They replaced power for power, and ace for ace, without greatly inflating payroll. Two acquisitions have questionable health right now, so maybe it blows up in thier faces, but I doubt it. Randy Johnson is great, but Penny/Ortiz will likely combine for more wins. Then for Sexson, Glaus and Green come in. NOT BAD in my book.

But they still might be tied with the mariners for what they've done. Mariners have perhaps overpaid way too much for Beltre, but they've put themselves in a position to have a highly elite starting lineup next season.

Cardinals are having a pretty bad offseason. I love Mulder, I want him in Chicago, they finally got a pitcher.... but there's some gold gloves just walking away from the team. In the playoffs, the most effective weapon the Cardinals had was Womack getting on base for the sluggers, stealing bases staying in the pitcher's head. Now they lost both speed guys, and they are beginning to look a lot like white sox 04'. THey have a pitching staff full of surprises last season that could easily bust, losing Woody heron and calero for Mulder.

FOr a world series team, that a big downgrade in my book with the talent they've lost. What the A's are doing might be worse, but for now I'm going to say Cardinals. A's weren't in a W. S. position IMO. One hitter wasn't going to do it for them, and they couldn't afford 2 good hitters.

Brian26
12-19-2004, 01:12 PM
I also recall reading on Ben Maller that Comerica will be adding seats where the current bullpen is, and putting the new bullpen in left center.

Comerica Park will have a distinctly different look next season.

The Tigers aren't quite ready to make a formal announcement, but the team will put seats in what is now the rightfield bullpen area and move the bullpens to leftfield.

Bob Raymond, the Tigers' vice president for ticket sales, said Monday the team was "looking to move forward on the project," but added that no specifics were available.

One likely reason for delaying the announcement: The Tigers are still working with major league baseball on determining ticket allotments for next year's All-Star Game at Comerica Park.

A brochure sent to season-ticket holders pegged the rightfield grandstand seats at $15. It's believed there will be 850 to 950 new seats in right, which will increase the current Comerica Park capacity of 40,120.

The Tigers expect the new seats to be a popular item, especially for fans who will attend the All-Star Game and its home run-hitting contest.

Tigers president and general manager Dave Dombrowski said he couldn't comment on what the new bullpen area in leftfield might look like, but did say "planning is in the final stages. All of our thought processes on this is that it's going to happen."

The season-ticket brochure also indicated that single-game prices for the leftfield pavilion seats above what will be the new bullpen area will cost $15 instead of $14, and single-ticket prices for infield boxes will go from $30 to $35.

The ticket price hikes are the first since Comerica Park opened in 2000. All other ticket prices will remain the same as last season.

Season-ticket packages will go on sale Dec. 1; individual ticket sales will begin March 5.