PDA

View Full Version : Did y'all see the ESPN grade on the Lee trade??

Jurr
12-17-2004, 01:16 PM
Buster Olney gave us a two rating (average impact) for the move.

"With a little more maturity and a reconstruction of their bullpen, the Brewers may actually turn out to be -- think about this -- contenders. The White Sox clearly are nearing a crossroads: After several seasons of hovering near the top of the AL Central, they will either get better with acquisitions like Freddy Garcia (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6168) and Podsednik, or they are headed downhill. "

Very true about the Sox, but I do believe that is better than KNOWING you're going to finish second.

mweflen
12-17-2004, 01:17 PM
linky?

MarkyBear
12-17-2004, 01:18 PM
they will either get better.................or they are headed downhill. "

Well thank the baseball geniuses at ESPN for letting us all know that the Sox will either get better or maybe, just maybe, perhaps they will get worse...

SEALgep
12-17-2004, 01:19 PM
Well thank the baseball geniuses at ESPN for letting us all know that the Sox will either get better or maybe, just maybe, perhaps they will get worse...That's what I love about these predictions. They really lay themselves on the line. :rolleyes:

Jurr
12-17-2004, 01:19 PM
Well thank the baseball geniuses at ESPN for letting us all know that the Sox will either get better or maybe, just maybe, perhaps they will get worse...I didn't think of it like that.....ABSOLUTELY HYSTERICAL!!!!!!

Jurr
12-17-2004, 01:21 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1944838

Here's a link to the brilliant insight.
I'm still laughing about that. "maybe they'll get better...maybe they'll get worse."

santo=dorf
12-17-2004, 01:22 PM
:whocares

What will that grade look like if/when we sign a starting pitcher?

Ol' No. 2
12-17-2004, 01:23 PM
Well thank the baseball geniuses at ESPN for letting us all know that the Sox will either get better or maybe, just maybe, perhaps they will get worse...And these guys get PAID for this. Reminds me of a long-term weather forecast I saw not too long ago that said there was a 50% chance of above average temperatures. Thanks a lot.

Jurr
12-17-2004, 01:24 PM
santo....you're not getting the point. We're going to get better or we're going to get worse. You don't understand that??? See...it breaks down two ways, okay...now really pay attention. We made a move, so:

A. We improve our team with that move, finally getting into first place.
or
B. We don't get better, and we end up doing badly.

I'm very intrigued. How much money do these ESPN guys make???

Tekijawa
12-17-2004, 01:24 PM
What will that grade look like if/when we sign a starting pitcher?I don't know, But I can say with the utmost confidence that we will either get better or worse if that does happen...

ja1022
12-17-2004, 01:26 PM
they will either get better , or they are headed downhill.
As previously pointed out..that's really going out on a limb there.
Sounds like something out of the mouth of Tim McCarver or John Madden.
Brilliant reporting.

white sox bill
12-17-2004, 01:28 PM
Reminds me off a saying along the same lines regarding the weather:

"If it stays like this, I don't see a change in the weather"
Dumb

santo=dorf
12-17-2004, 01:31 PM
I don't know, But I can say with the utmost confidence that we will either get better or worse if that does happen...Are you sure? :D:

:boston
"Boy these young writers sure provide some fierce competition."

Tekijawa
12-17-2004, 01:31 PM
What would have happened had we not made a move yet? What would they have written about?

Realist
12-17-2004, 01:36 PM
After reading this thread, I feel a hell of a lot more like I do now then I did when I woke up this morning.

Ol' No. 2
12-17-2004, 01:37 PM
What would have happened had we not made a move yet? What would they have written about?Easy.

"Maybe they'll still make a move. Or maybe they won't.":D:

JRIG
12-17-2004, 01:39 PM
Well thank the baseball geniuses at ESPN for letting us all know that the Sox will either get better or maybe, just maybe, perhaps they will get worse...
It is Buster Olney. You shouldn't expect too much deep thinking.

MarkyBear
12-17-2004, 01:39 PM
:rolling:

This is too funny!!!

Or they remind of the person that'll come up to you when you're looking for something and anounce to you, "Ya know, I bet it'll be in the last place you look"!!!

Well hey, thanx alot!!!

Easy.

"Maybe they'll still make a move. Or maybe they won't.":D:

LMAO!!!

Yep, then they'd end it with "That's right folks, you heard it here at ESPN first!"

Kogs35
12-17-2004, 01:44 PM
callers on dan patrick r blaming espn for the rj trade rumors to ny.

Iwritecode
12-17-2004, 01:49 PM
Man, we need a Bill Engvall picture with "here's your sign" written at the bottom...

voodoochile
12-17-2004, 01:57 PM
Now if the Sox win exactly 83 games this year ESPN is going to look like complete idiots...:D:

MarkyBear
12-17-2004, 02:03 PM
As previously pointed out..that's really going out on a limb there.
Sounds like something out of the mouth of Tim McCarver or John Madden.
Brilliant reporting.

Wasn't Madden the one that described football as 90% physical and the other half mental???

Or vice-verse...

Ol' No. 2
12-17-2004, 02:13 PM
Wasn't Madden the one that described football as 90% physical and the other half mental???

Or vice-verse...Yogi Berra. And, of course, it was baseball.

Kogs35
12-17-2004, 02:13 PM

Or vice-verse...
i remeber he used that line, or a similar line in the movie little giants

batmanZoSo
12-17-2004, 02:14 PM
Who cares what ESPN thinks, period? There's simply know way they can cover all 30 teams accurately enough to give great insight anyway. They prove it all the time, especially Gammons. I can't think of a time when ESPN said something about the Sox where it really hit home as being dead on. Usually I just write it off because it's so inaccurate.

MarkyBear
12-17-2004, 02:16 PM
Yogi Berra. And, of course, it was baseball.

Ooops, my fault, thanx man!!!
:bandance: