PDA

View Full Version : Uribe's Agent

Lip Man 1
12-17-2004, 01:09 PM
This was brought up in regards to Uribe's contract extension that 'apparently the Sox can work with Scott Boras.' Since Boras was Uribe's agent at one time.

The operative word 'was' is important.

According to Joe Cowley in the Daily Southtown, Scott Boras was no longer Uribe's agent when this deal was negotiated.

Uribe changed agent's in November. The agent who negotiated this deal with the Sox is named Martin Arburua.

Draw any conclusions about this that you will.

Lip

Lip Man 1
12-17-2004, 07:13 PM
With Scott Schowenweis potentially out of the Sox plans after December 20th, it would mean the only Boras' client on the team is Joe Crede as of this posting.

I wonder how that compares with other MLB teams?

Lip

Mickster
12-18-2004, 12:07 AM
:whocares

nodiggity59
12-18-2004, 12:09 AM
Boras is a jag. His clients hurt the temas they're with. The Sox are better off with as few of his guys as possible.

Lip Man 1
12-18-2004, 12:12 AM
It was brought up because a few posters immediately made the comment along the lines of 'see...the Sox CAN work with Boras.'

Apparently they can't. That seems to be a fact.

Lip

Jabroni
12-18-2004, 12:18 AM
:whocaresAgreed.

doublem23
12-18-2004, 12:44 AM
Too bad we're missing on that "5 Free wins for every Scott Boras client" offer the MLB has out there. :rolleyes:

MRKARNO
12-18-2004, 09:21 AM
It's really too bad the Sox dont want to overpay Millwood and Lowe this offseason.

munchman33
12-18-2004, 12:30 PM
It was brought up because a few posters immediately made the comment along the lines of 'see...the Sox CAN work with Boras.'

Apparently they can't. That seems to be a fact.

Lip
Perhaps it's Boras who can't work with a team that won't immediately give in to grandiose demands.

Lip Man 1
12-18-2004, 12:32 PM
The bottom line is that whoever is at fault, it's the Sox themselves suffering. The name of the game is acquiring talent by any and all means. Every year the Sox are cutting themselves out or being cut out of at least having a chance to get some of the very best in the game over personal vendettas.

Not exactly the best way to run a multimillion dollar business is it?

Lip

Wealz
12-18-2004, 12:43 PM
With Scott Schowenweis potentially out of the Sox plans after December 20th, it would mean the only Boras' client on the team is Joe Crede as of this posting.

Lip
I hope Willie Harris tries very hard to have Boras represent him, Ben Davis & Podsednik too.

munchman33
12-18-2004, 12:47 PM
Not exactly the best way to run a multimillion dollar business is it?

Lip
No, it isn't. But with Kenny's budget, it also doesn't make sense to give in to Boras. And we know he isn't budging.

RKMeibalane
12-18-2004, 12:50 PM

Lip
Crede is a Boras client? Good. That means he'll eventually be gone.

nodiggity59
12-18-2004, 01:08 PM
The Sox are winning. There is not a single Boras client I would want this year, given the Sox's budget.

pearso66
12-18-2004, 01:17 PM
I can't say that there are too many boras clients out there I'd want either. Beltran ok, but we knew we wouldnt be in the running for him, and we have what 7 OFers already? I don't want Millwood, I don't want Lowe, and its not that Kenny won't work with him, he doesn't because Boras is stubborn and wont even compromise anywhere. He's stated that he wont even take an offer seriously for Beltran unless it starts at 10 years 200 mil. Why would you want to work with a guy who won't budge? Let either everyone else overpay, or people won't negotiate with his clients until the prices drop. I have no problem with KW not working with him

jabrch
12-18-2004, 01:20 PM
Crede is a Boras client? Good. That means he'll eventually be gone.

And @ 5 years and 40mm - someone will luvvvv their new FA 3B

nodiggity59
12-18-2004, 01:50 PM
And @ 5 years and 40mm - someone will luvvvv their new FA 3B
:worship:

PaulDrake
12-18-2004, 02:00 PM
IF REED BECOMES A HOF IT WON'T MAKE THE DEAL BAD B/C THERE'S NO WAY TO PREDICT THAT.

I guess by that logic Lou Brock for Ernie Broglio was a great deal too.

Jabroni
12-18-2004, 02:01 PM
IF REED BECOMES A HOF IT WON'T MAKE THE DEAL BAD B/C THERE'S NO WAY TO PREDICT THAT.

I guess by that logic Lou Brock for Ernie Broglio was a great deal too.Yes, let's just ignore the fact that we got Freddy Garcia. :rolleyes:

pearso66
12-18-2004, 02:17 PM
Yes, let's just ignore the fact that we got Freddy Garcia. :rolleyes:
I think most people think we gave Reed to Seattle just because we felt like it. It has nothing to do with that we got a very solid pitcher out of the deal. Reed is the only one that matters, because he's a guaranteed .400 OBP and guaranteed HOFer

Jabroni
12-18-2004, 02:33 PM
I think most people think we gave Reed to Seattle just because we felt like it. It has nothing to do with that we got a very solid pitcher out of the deal. Reed is the only one that matters, because he's a guaranteed .400 OBP and guaranteed HOFerIt's funny that so many people originally ripped on the trade because Reed AND Olivo was giving up too much. But since Olivo had a crappy offensive season last year, people only complain about Reed now. :rolleyes:

Miguel Olivo (http://seattle.mariners.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/player.jsp?player_id=400018)
301 At Bats
.233 AVG
.286 OBP
13 HR
40 RBI

MHOUSE
12-18-2004, 02:57 PM
I have no problem avoiding Boras. "We won't discuss any offer that doesn't start with 10 years $200 million." Screw him. He's just a money-grubbing agent who doesn't care how his client's negotiations and eventual contracts will affect the overall makeup of the teams he is dealing with. You can find talent and win championships without Scott Boras.

Lip Man 1
12-18-2004, 11:05 PM
Mhouse says: "You can find talent and win championships without Scott Boras."

Agreed... to bad the Sox can't find enough talent OR win a championship. When you are in their position you need to explore any avenue you can to get what you need, deliberately limiting yourself because of 'persomality differences,' is no way to accomplish winning anything.

Lip

wassagstdu
12-19-2004, 08:51 AM
Crede is a Boras client? Good. That means he'll eventually be gone.So the Sox are a Boras farm team. His client can stay here until he figures out how to play the game, then he's gone?

munchman33
12-19-2004, 10:33 AM
Mhouse says: "You can find talent and win championships without Scott Boras."

Agreed... to bad the Sox can't find enough talent OR win a championship. When you are in their position you need to explore any avenue you can to get what you need, deliberately limiting yourself because of 'persomality differences,' is no way to accomplish winning anything.

Lip
Lip, I don't think it's personality differences at all. It's a money difference. Boras' clients will all cost more than if they had a different agent. For anyone but the top five or six market teams, signing a Boras client is a prescription for budget problems down the road.

Lip Man 1
12-19-2004, 01:25 PM
Munch:

What is often forgotten or overlooked in the relationship is that then Sox G.M. Ron Schueler publicly attacked Scott Boras to Chicago newspapers. His comments directly fueled the fire which led to the embarassing A-Rod situation.

Even Uncle Jerry on occasion has called out Scott as you'll see in a future article.

Again whether you like Boras or not, whether you agree with his tactics or not, the name of the game is getting talent. Like they say in the 'Godfather,' 'it's business nothing personal.'

Unfortunately the Sox have at times made it personal.

I certainly agree though that money is also a factor. The Sox claim they don't have it, many people disagree with that comment.

Lip