PDA

View Full Version : You really can't blame Kenny......

cornball
12-17-2004, 08:52 AM
after having time to reflect on the CLee trade, most are of the opinion, that it would be acceptable if a decent starter could added with the money saved.

KW is following orders! He was given a payroll budget of 70-75 million and he has to stick with it. Yes I understand the league average was 71 million in 2003, but we are a few years behind. I am sure the league average will be close to 80 million this year with mediocre starting pitchers getting 6+ million this year.

It just blows me away they NYY will have a payroll over 200MM, pay a luxury tax of tens of millions, plus pay a portion of most of the players they trade. Something doesn't add up, both in the White Sox and MLB economics.

anewman35
12-17-2004, 08:54 AM
Something else I was thinking this morning, going along with the title of this thread, is that you can't blame Kenny if we end up not getting Clement (although I'm sure people will try). Sometimes, you just can't get what you want.

rwcescato
12-17-2004, 09:08 AM
Something else I was thinking this morning, going along with the title of this thread, is that you can't blame Kenny if we end up not getting Clement (although I'm sure people will try). Sometimes, you just can't get what you want.
Hopefully clement comes here. The trib reported this morning that
clement would have higher expectations if he went to the Indians
or Red Sox. They mentioned he would be an ace in Cleveland.
He is more suited to be our #3 in our rotation.

Ol' No. 2
12-17-2004, 09:47 AM
Hopefully clement comes here. The trib reported this morning that
clement would have higher expectations if he went to the Indians
or Red Sox. They mentioned he would be an ace in Cleveland.
He is more suited to be our #3 in our rotation.With Schilling and Sabathia? Clement would not be the ace in either city.

SEALgep
12-17-2004, 09:50 AM
With Schilling and Sabathia? Clement would not be the ace in either city.He'd be up there with Sabathia, and supposedly he doesn't want to be expected to replace Pedro's production.

cornball
12-17-2004, 10:57 AM
I have no problem with Clement, other than his price tag at this point. For example, Radke 9MM, Wright 7MM, Leiter 8MM, Benson 7.5 MM......have established the market price of a pitcher like Clement.

Personally, I would rather trade for AJ Burnett (Hudson or RJ) or a pitcher that has proven to be successful or in the case of Burnett has a high ceiling and pay a little more.

Mickster
12-17-2004, 11:12 AM
I have no problem with Clement, other than his price tag at this point. For example, Radke 9MM, Wright 7MM, Leiter 8MM, Benson 7.5 MM......have established the market price of a pitcher like Clement.
I place the blame squarely on the Mets as far as establishing the market price for pitchers when they rushed and signed Benson to that horrific contract early on.....

benjamin
12-17-2004, 11:22 AM
I place the blame squarely on the Mets as far as establishing the market price for pitchers when they rushed and signed Benson to that horrific contract early on.....
Yet one more reason why the Garcia trade and eventual extension was a brilliant move.

Flight #24
12-17-2004, 11:24 AM

Personally, I would rather trade for AJ Burnett (Hudson or RJ) or a pitcher that has proven to be successful or in the case of Burnett has a high ceiling and pay a little more.
One point: All of this makes me think that Odalis Perez might be cheaper, but not significantly so. Once Clement's off the market, Odalis will start getting more focus and IMO will push $8mil. So there's a $1mil difference there, not really enough to make a difference somewhere else.

California Sox
12-17-2004, 11:56 AM
KW is following orders!
Have we learned none of the lessons of Nuremburg?

iwannago
12-17-2004, 12:22 PM
Aren't the Sox do extra money from the sale of the Expo's? If the sale ever goes through.

munchman33
12-17-2004, 12:22 PM
One point: All of this makes me think that Odalis Perez might be cheaper, but not significantly so. Once Clement's off the market, Odalis will start getting more focus and IMO will push $8mil. So there's a $1mil difference there, not really enough to make a difference somewhere else.
Maybe we'll sign them both and then trade Garland for a bat!