PDA

View Full Version : Cubune's Projected 2005 Sox Lineup...

Jabroni
12-17-2004, 05:01 AM
2005 Sox lineup?
----------------------------------
CF Scott Podsednik
SS Juan Uribe
DH Frank Thomas / Carl Everett
1B Paul Konerko
RF Jermaine Dye
LF Aaron Rowand
3B Joe Crede
C Ben Davis
2B Willie Harris

Thoughts?

Soxfest
12-17-2004, 07:27 AM
I see alot of 1 run nights.

JRIG
12-17-2004, 07:30 AM
I see alot of 1 run nights.
"..and the White Sox fall again at U.S Cellular...by a score of 8-2."

DMarte708
12-17-2004, 07:35 AM
"..and the White Sox fall again at U.S Cellular...by a score of 8-2." "...Winner: Bob Howry, he's 1-0. Loser: Jason Grilli, he's 0-5, extending his streak to four consecutive starts surrendering 5 earned runs in less than 5 innings. Bottom third order continues their struggles on this road trip; collectively batting 6-35 (.171)"

Malgar 12
12-17-2004, 07:40 AM
No Wee Willie! PLEASE no Wee Willie!

Flight #24
12-17-2004, 07:49 AM
"...Winner: Bob Howry, he's 1-0. Loser: Jason Grilli, he's 0-5, extending his streak to four consecutive starts surrendering 5 earned runs in less than 5 innings. Bottom third order continues their struggles on this road trip; collectively batting 6-35 (.171)"

Has anyone even listened to KW? If they can't get an impact starter, it's almost a certainty that they make other moves to improve the bottom 3d. So either the pitching will be fairly dominant, or the hitting it going to get even more balanced.

Flight #24
12-17-2004, 07:51 AM
CF Scott Podsednik: 8HR
SS Juan Uribe: 25HR
DH Frank Thomas / Carl Everett: 35HR
1B Paul Konerko: 35 HR
RF Jermaine Dye: 30HR
LF Aaron Rowand: 25HR
3B Joe Crede: 25 HR
C Ben Davis: 10HR
2B Willie Harris: 2HR

Total: 195HR

That total would have ranked them right round the top 3d in MLB. With improved consistency, the O will likely drop in terms of total runs scored, but it will have a lot less volatility.

nccwsfan
12-17-2004, 08:14 AM
2005 Sox lineup?

CF Scott Podsednik
SS Juan Uribe
1B Paul Konerko
RF Jermaine Dye
LF Aaron Rowand
3B Joe Crede
C Ben Davis
2B Willie Harris

Thoughts?
Switch Rowand for Uribe, hope that Podsednik returns to 03' form or somewhere near there, hope that Rowand remains successful, and hope that the heart of the lineup stays healthy. A lot of ifs in the equation, but I imagine that the Sox will stick around in the race long enough for KW to make a couple of midseason trades.....frustrating that this is the way they're going about it (again) but what can you do?

The key is the top half of the lineup, IMHO.

Nick@Nite
12-17-2004, 08:25 AM
If ScottP and Willie can raise their OBP's above .350, it'll make things interesting.

It would also help if Crede bats his weight times 1.5 along with Davis imitating Johnny Bench once a week (minimum), and if Crede & Willie win gold gloves, and if, if, if...

The bottom third looks like Team Rally-Killer, punctuated by the occasional Crede blast.

Nick@Nite
12-17-2004, 08:42 AM
Switch Rowand for Uribe, hope that Podsednik returns to 03' form or somewhere near there, hope that Rowand remains successful, and hope that the heart of the lineup stays healthy. A lot of ifs in the equation, but I imagine that the Sox will stick around in the race long enough for KW to make a couple of midseason trades.....frustrating that this is the way they're going about it (again) but what can you do?

The key is the top half of the lineup, IMHO.
I like Uribe batting second as long as he doesn't slump (duh!) and Rowand in the middle, to keep the lineup moving so to speak. If Uribe falters, I see Rowand back near the top of the order.

Mohoney
12-17-2004, 08:51 AM
I know that pretty much everybody's first reaction is that our 7, 8, 9 would be completely useless, but I think that there are some reasons to hold out hope, however faint it may be, that these guys can perform on par with the rest of the league's bottom thirds.

I think Willie's going to have a good season hitting 9th. A #9 hitter that gets on base at a .350 clip (which I think will improve) and has the speed to score from 1st on a double sounds good to me. Willie has shown improvement from year to year in critical areas like working a count and fouling off tough pitches. His BA and OBP have gone way up from his dismal partial seasons in 2002 and 2003. He's only had one full-time season at the major league level.

I'm more worried about Crede than I am about Willie. His BA, OBP, and SLG% have all gone down. He's regressing from year to year. If he doesn't show any improvement this year, we'll have to just sign a stopgap and wait for Fields.

As for the Davis/Burke catching situation, I think it can be adequate enough in the #8 spot if Crede shows ANY signs of life whatsoever and they see decent pitches.

duke of dorwood
12-17-2004, 08:58 AM
:chunks

So competitive

Flight #24
12-17-2004, 09:11 AM
It's not significantly worse than what some playoff teams were rolling out there at the end of the year: Yanks had Sierra-Olerud-Cairo. Cards had Womack-Matheney-Taguchi/Anderson in the WS!

Most teams have some question marks at the bottom of the order. 25HR & .350OBP from 2 of your worst 3 hitters is not that bad.

With a studly 5-man rotation and solid pen, that batting order will win a bunch of games.

TommyJohn
12-17-2004, 09:22 AM
2005 Sox lineup?

CF Scott Podsednik
SS Juan Uribe
1B Paul Konerko
RF Jermaine Dye
LF Aaron Rowand
3B Joe Crede
C Ben Davis
2B Willie Harris

Thoughts?

62-100.

JRIG
12-17-2004, 09:30 AM
It's not significantly worse than what some playoff teams were rolling out there at the end of the year: Yanks had Sierra-Olerud-Cairo. Cards had Womack-Matheney-Taguchi/Anderson in the WS!

Most teams have some question marks at the bottom of the order. 25HR & .350OBP from 2 of your worst 3 hitters is not that bad.

With a studly 5-man rotation and solid pen, that batting order will win a bunch of games.
Of course, the Cardinals and the Yankees had significantly better hitters in the 1 and 2 slots as well. Podsednik and Uribe can't hold a candle to what those two teams were running out there. And there's the real problem. The Cards and Yanks and players on base for the meat of the order. The Sox won't in 2005 (unless more move are made) and the bottom of the order will be brutal too.

stillz
12-17-2004, 09:32 AM
I think if we just upgraded the catcher spot, there's reason for hope. I'm happy that Burke is getting a chance (and Big Ben has some pop), but AJ would be a major coup against those damn twinkies.

santo=dorf
12-17-2004, 11:39 AM
Has anyone even listened to KW? If they can't get an impact starter, it's almost a certainty that they make other moves to improve the bottom 3d. So either the pitching will be fairly dominant, or the hitting it going to get even more balanced.
Yeah I don't understand what all of the trolling is about either. :?:

Anyways, I would swap Rowand and Uribe in that original lineup.

California Sox
12-17-2004, 11:52 AM
Two left-handed hitters and they hit back to back. The switch-hitter hits in front of them. Six right-handers in a row--Terry Bevington could manage a bullpen against this team. Okay, not Terry Bevington, but you get my point.

Key is Crede. If he hits like it's September all year, we could be average. If he hits like June... Not so much so.

voodoochile
12-17-2004, 11:57 AM
"..and the White Sox fall again at U.S Cellular...by a score of 8-2."
You think the pitching is going to be bad enough where the team regularly gives up 8 runs?

I think the lineup will be stronger if Carl and Dye both stay healthy and produce at something close to their career averages (slightly down due to their age). Then if either Rowand or Pods don't live up to expectations, there will be plenty of backup.

I do expect better things from Joe Crede this year and also expect Harris to make a small improvement - though probably not enough to get him out of the 9-hole.

Flight #24
12-17-2004, 11:58 AM
Two left-handed hitters and they hit back to back. The switch-hitter hits in front of them. Six right-handers in a row--Terry Bevington could manage a bullpen against this team. Okay, not Terry Bevington, but you get my point.

Key is Crede. If he hits like it's September all year, we could be average. If he hits like June... Not so much so.
I guess it's a good thing that BoB Foltman isn't the manager. This is his lineup, not Guillens. I haven't seen any comments that this is based on anything Ozzie said.

danimal81
12-17-2004, 12:06 PM
Like Good Ol' #2 has b4, you gotta keep Rowand towards the top of the lineup to get as many AB's as possible. Until Frank comes back, and maybe afterwards, Pods-Juano-Rowand 123 is the most optimum mix of speed and power at the top of the lineup. If Uriba-Uriba falters, maybe Willie should be samidged b/t Pods and AR, but lets not worry about the bottom of the lineup and give our best players the most AB's!!!

Besides, we're gonna lead baseball in Runs for sure.
Jerry Springer for Mayor, again!
:dtroll:

Dadawg_77
12-17-2004, 12:55 PM
2005 Sox lineup?
CF Scott Podsednik
SS Juan Uribe
1B Paul Konerko
RF Jermaine Dye
LF Aaron Rowand
3B Joe Crede
C Ben Davis
2B Willie Harris

Thoughts?

AL Central Results this year:

Twins
Tigers
Trib
Sox
Royals

santo=dorf
12-17-2004, 12:57 PM

Twins
Tigers
Trib
Sox
Royals:troll

Have any of you bothered to look at the lineups of the other AL Central teams let alone the pitching staffs? :?:

RKMeibalane
12-17-2004, 05:39 PM
Relax, guys. First off, if Thomas isn't healthy, Everett will not be in the three spot. Most likely, Konerko will end up there, with Dye and Everett hitting behind him. When Frank comes back, he will be in the three spot, and Everett will be on the bench. Furthermore, KW has shown a willingness to accquire players in mid-season deals. There's no reason to believe he won't do that again this season. At some point, he will bring back Roberto Alomar to play second base (:cool:), and I would imagine that he will be looking for a good hitting catcher.

Besides, the Sox pitching staff is solid, and so it may not matter if they score that many runs or not. I think too many people are still in the mindset of "we must score eight runs, or we're dead." That kind of thinking didn't work in any of the past three seasons, so maybe it's time that everyone approached things differently. KW seems willing to do that, and maybe we should, too. Chill out, everyone. Soon, Frank will return, the Sox will be winning, and everyone will be happy (except Lip, of course, for whom the glass is always half empty).

danimal81
12-17-2004, 05:54 PM

Twins
Tigers
Trib
Sox
Royals

Oh No, the Trib foils us again. Damn Cubune.:redface:

MUsoxfan
12-17-2004, 05:56 PM
I may be the only one that really loves this projected lineup. I see the potential for lots of runs. Contrary to popular belief around here, runs aren't scored only by homeruns. This lineup shows production potential. A single here, a SB here, another single...a double down the line. I'll go out and predict the Sox to win the Central right now....so long as they get a #5 starter.

MRKARNO
12-17-2004, 06:03 PM
I think the lineup will be stronger if Carl and Dye both stay healthy and produce at something close to their career averages (slightly down due to their age). Then if either Rowand or Pods don't live up to expectations, there will be plenty of backup.

I do expect better things from Joe Crede this year and also expect Harris to make a small improvement - though probably not enough to get him out of the 9-hole.
Agreed. I'm figuring the best 3 out of Podsednik, Dye, Rowand and Everett will be pretty good. I'm willing to bet that Crede is a lot closer to what he did in the second half of 2003 and his 2002 callup than the first half of 2002 and last year. It sounds like they finally found the flaw in his swing and that fixing that will be almost a fix-all for his offensive problems. Harris I think will be a league average 2nd baseman, maybe a little better. I think he has a decent chance of raising his OBP to about the .360 level and that would be really good. He hit only .262 last year and still managed to post a .343 OBP. His ability to draw walks will really help him in 2005 and the future. Davis is garbage and I wish the plan was to give more time to Jamie Burke who seems to have the right attitude at the plate 9 times out of 10. I dont think the lineup will be as bad as many here say.

CHISOXFAN13
12-17-2004, 06:12 PM

Twins
Tigers
Trib
Sox
RoyalsYeah, those moves the Indians and Tigers have made this offseason make them instant playoff contenders.

fquaye149
12-17-2004, 06:36 PM
anyone who picked the tigers to finish ahead of the sox this year must be the same MORONS who picked the royals to last year.

Anyone ever heard of no pitching=no success?

or is that formula passe?