PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Rowand to LF; moving to middle of lineup?

Jabroni
12-17-2004, 03:47 AM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-041216soxbrite,1,3411644.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines
With the acquisition of Scott Podsednik from the Milwaukee Brewers in the Carlos Lee trade, White Sox general manager Ken Williams said Rowand may move from center field to left.

Rowand said he's more comfortable in center, but only because that's where he has been playing. He has played corner spots before and doesn't have a problem moving to left with Podsednik in center.With Podsednik on board, Rowand is likely to move into the middle of the lineup.

Juan Uribe, whom the Sox signed to a three-year, $9.75 million contract Thursday, is likely to hit behind Podsednik in the second spot in the order.Wouldn't Rowand make a perfect #2 hitter in our lineup considering his speed, base-running skills, and the fact that he's learning how to bunt this offseason? :?:

Mohoney
12-17-2004, 05:31 AM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-041216soxbrite,1,3411644.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines
Wouldn't Rowand make a perfect #2 hitter in our lineup considering his speed, base-running skills, and the fact that he's learning how to bunt this offseason? :?:
My thoughts exactly. Uribe would be better in, say, the #6 spot.

Uribe can't steal bases like Rowand can.

JRIG
12-17-2004, 05:37 AM
Wouldn't Rowand make a perfect #2 hitter in our lineup considering his speed, base-running skills, and the fact that he's learning how to bunt this offseason? :?:
Yes, Uribe is much better suited to hit lower in the order. Rowand is a perfect #2 hitter against LHP, and he's still probably the best option againts RHP too.

nccwsfan
12-17-2004, 07:09 AM
Have to agree with the masses- Rowand should be in the #2 spot....

Flight #24
12-17-2004, 08:14 AM
Is there any Sox source for this info? Or just Trib speculation?

Seems to me that this would be something they'd try to do to keep Uribe in a protected spot in the order and maximize his production (IIRC, his best months were when he batted at or near the top of the lineup with some combo of Maggs-Frank-Lee-Koney behind him).

However, if he isn't showing production, I highly doubt they'd stick with it, most likely move ARow back to #2.

SEALgep
12-17-2004, 08:31 AM
Uribe can bunt pretty well actually. Anyways, wonder if Rowand bats third? Then you have a real good mix of speed and power 1-2-3.

Ol' No. 2
12-17-2004, 08:56 AM
Uribe can bunt pretty well actually. Anyways, wonder if Rowand bats third? Then you have a real good mix of speed and power 1-2-3.Until Thomas returns, I'm not too wild about Everett OR Dye batting 3rd. I think until then I'd go with Pods, Uribe, Rowand in the 1-2-3 spots. Better to have Everett's LH bat in the middle protecting PK.

Mohoney
12-17-2004, 09:08 AM
Until Thomas returns, I'm not too wild about Everett OR Dye batting 3rd. I think until then I'd go with Pods, Uribe, Rowand in the 1-2-3 spots. Better to have Everett's LH bat in the middle protecting PK.
An added bonus to Everett in the middle: more RBI chances for him.

wilburaga
12-17-2004, 09:45 AM
Wouldn't Rowand make a perfect #2 hitter in our lineup considering his speed, base-running skills, and the fact that he's learning how to bunt this offseason? :?:My question is why Rowand didn't learn to bunt last offseason.

W

Flight #24
12-17-2004, 09:49 AM
My question is why Rowand didn't learn to bunt last offseason.

W
He was probably working on more general hitting skills, especially v. righties. After his failures last year bunting, I'd bet he makes that a particular point of emphasis this offseason & ST.

wilburaga
12-17-2004, 10:14 AM
He was probably working on more general hitting skills, especially v. righties. After his failures last year bunting, I'd bet he makes that a particular point of emphasis this offseason & ST.Agreed, but I'm always amazed when I see major leaguers who have no clue when asked to bunt as certainly was the case with A-Row last year. Aren't coaches supposed to teach these things? At every level?

I could understand if it were a bomber like Big Frank (who has 0 sacrifice hits in his career, understandably), but Rowand has always been a top or bottom of the order guy whose bunting skills should have been developed.

As for Uribe batting second, he'll probably see more fastballs with Pods on base ahead of him, and it might coax him to look at more pitches.

W

hold2dibber
12-17-2004, 10:39 AM
As for Uribe batting second, he'll probably see more fastballs with Pods on base ahead of him, and it might coax him to look at more pitches.

Ha! I like Uribe, but I don't think you could coax him to look at more pitches with an incentive clause that paid him $10,000 per pitch seen. That's like asking a zebra to foresake his stripes.

Jurr
12-17-2004, 11:20 AM
I read that article in the Tribune...it read:

Aaron Rowand, who in his best day will never be as good as, say Corey Patterson, will make a move to left field, a position invented by Moises Alou two years ago. He will bat in the 6th position, reminiscent of Leon Durham in the latter years of his career. The position change is most significant, however, because it may change Dusty Baker's coaching strategy next year against the Sox when they visit Chicago for the interleague series.

batmanZoSo
12-17-2004, 01:55 PM
I have no idea what Podsednik's defense is like, but he is a lot faster than Rowand so hopefully he has speed that translates into outfiled play. With the Sox saying he might play left it makes me think of him as a possible Shannon Stewart type who's fast as hell but when he gets in the field he forgets how to run. He's just the more ideal candidate on paper (70 steals, must be pretty fast, thus should be able to shag em in center) and I really think Rowand would be one of the best left fielders in the game when you factor in that he's a capable center fielder as it is and by left field standards he has a cannon. It's a rare advantage to have an arm like his in left.

Ol' No. 2
12-17-2004, 02:00 PM
I have no idea what Podsednik's defense is like, but he is a lot faster than Rowand so hopefully he has speed that translates into outfiled play. With the Sox saying he might play left it makes me think of him as a possible Shannon Stewart type who's fast as hell but when he gets in the field he forgets how to run. He's just the more ideal candidate on paper (70 steals, must be pretty fast, thus should be able to shag em in center) and I really think Rowand would be one of the best left fielders in the game when you factor in that he's a capable center fielder as it is and by left field standards he has a cannon. It's a rare advantage to have an arm like his in left.Who said Rowand is playing left? Bob Foltman, he of the stupid lineup. Didn't Kenny say he would be playing CF and Podsednik in LF?

batmanZoSo
12-17-2004, 02:06 PM
Who said Rowand is playing left? Bob Foltman, he of the stupid lineup. Didn't Kenny say he would be playing CF and Podsednik in LF?
Yeah, but since it's been brought up I felt I should post my thoughts on it. Because I've always thought Rowand would make a great left fielder if he could hit--and it looks like he can. He'd be a lot more valuable to us in left than Podsednik. If he can play center at all, he should. I mean if he's as good as Rowand and not a total buffoon. Harris can "play" center, but we don't want him out there now do we?

Or maybe the Pods in left field talk is based on him being a total buffoon in center. I don't know, someone tell me.

MeanFish
12-17-2004, 02:16 PM
One thing that you're missing is that fielding-wise, Rowand's one of the best CF'ers in the AL. He's actually better at that position than he is as a corner outfielder. Podsednik, as far as I know, is a bit of an adventure in the outfield, which makes me think he'd be better suited to play LF.

doublem23
12-17-2004, 02:20 PM
I read that article in the Tribune...it read:

Aaron Rowand, who in his best day will never be as good as, say Corey Patterson, will make a move to left field, a position invented by Moises Alou two years ago. He will bat in the 6th position, reminiscent of Leon Durham in the latter years of his career. The position change is most significant, however, because it may change Dusty Baker's coaching strategy next year against the Sox when they visit Chicago for the interleague series.
LOL! :)

mjharrison72
12-17-2004, 02:22 PM
My question is why Rowand didn't learn to bunt last offseason.

WOr why a major league ballplayer doesn't freaking know how to bunt already.

Ol' No. 2
12-17-2004, 02:32 PM
One thing that you're missing is that fielding-wise, Rowand's one of the best CF'ers in the AL. He's actually better at that position than he is as a corner outfielder. Podsednik, as far as I know, is a bit of an adventure in the outfield, which makes me think he'd be better suited to play LF.That's more or less the way I see it, too. Plus, Rowand's arm is definately better, which is another reason to put him in CF and Pods in LF.

c4birdiemaker
12-17-2004, 02:36 PM
now your talkin pards...rowand hits 3, ive been saying it since the trade. let uribe get and hit fastballs. see how important pod's obp is? l8rUntil Thomas returns, I'm not too wild about Everett OR Dye batting 3rd. I think until then I'd go with Pods, Uribe, Rowand in the 1-2-3 spots. Better to have Everett's LH bat in the middle protecting PK.

batmanZoSo
12-17-2004, 02:39 PM
One thing that you're missing is that fielding-wise, Rowand's one of the best CF'ers in the AL. He's actually better at that position than he is as a corner outfielder. Podsednik, as far as I know, is a bit of an adventure in the outfield, which makes me think he'd be better suited to play LF.
Define "one of." And what are you going by, stats or observations? The latter tells me he's adequate, maybe above average at best.

c4birdiemaker
12-17-2004, 02:40 PM
both points are good but it doesnt matter who plays center on a ground ball up the middle unless its hit very hard there isnt gonna be a play at the plate. on the other hand, a slow roller in between short and third, a left fielder w an arm might still have a play. That's more or less the way I see it, too. Plus, Rowand's arm is definately better, which is another reason to put him in CF and Pods in LF.

MeanFish
12-17-2004, 04:39 PM
Define "one of." And what are you going by, stats or observations? The latter tells me he's adequate, maybe above average at best.
By "one of" I mean that he's probably in the top five. Maybe not in terms of flashiness, but he certainly gets the job done.

MHOUSE
12-18-2004, 02:18 PM
Podsednik lets a lot of balls over his head, at least at Milwaukee he did with that oddly-shaped centerfield wall. Rowand DEFINATELY has a better arm than Pods and I think Aaron is a better centerfielder too. I see Podsednik as a Shannon Stewart-type LF who is fast and leads off, but can't play center. Milwaukee never had a true CF or anyone who was as fast as Scotty. He got the job by default.