Rocklive99
12-16-2004, 02:25 PM
Per ESPNEWS, 5 year deal, TV is on mute so I don't know the money yet

Jabroni
12-16-2004, 02:28 PM
I heard it was for close to $60 million dollars! :o:

Rocklive99
12-16-2004, 02:37 PM
The M's are reminding me of Baltimore last year, Sexson, Beltre, and I heard they might have wanted Delgado (DH?). There were/still are some good pitchers out there you Seattle...

santo=dorf
12-16-2004, 02:38 PM
They're saying $13 million per. :o:

hosieryofthegods
12-16-2004, 02:41 PM
Looks per the score, that Beltre has signed a 60 mil contract with the M's.

rdivaldi
12-16-2004, 02:56 PM
Dumbest signing of the offeason. Granted he's only gonna be 26. But last year looks like a career year...

Ol' No. 2
12-16-2004, 02:59 PM
The M's are reminding me of Baltimore last year, Sexson, Beltre, and I heard they might have wanted Delgado (DH?). There were/still are some good pitchers out there you Seattle...BTW, how did the Orioles do last year?:o:

maurice
12-16-2004, 03:01 PM
Dumbest signing of the offeason. That's saying an awful lot. Arizona's collective offseason to date springs to mind. :o:

Baby Fisk
12-16-2004, 03:01 PM
I hate the fact that Beltre's name is so close to Beltran. This blew my freakin' mind for about 30 seconds. :angry:

This underscores the importance of spelling (and, uh, reading too)! :redface:

rdivaldi
12-16-2004, 03:02 PM
That's saying an awful lot. Benson and Arizona's collective offseason to date spring to mind. :o:
Good point. Okay I'll rephrase it.

"One of the dumbest signings of this offseason".

hosieryofthegods
12-16-2004, 03:05 PM
5 years 64 Mil. That's not too bad if he can produce like he did last year. Contract year fraud anyone?

MRKARNO
12-16-2004, 03:07 PM
The M's are reminding me of Baltimore last year, Sexson, Beltre, and I heard they might have wanted Delgado (DH?). There were/still are some good pitchers out there you Seattle...
Baltimore got a really good deal with Tejada last year though, who might've gotten 15 million per in today's market seeing that the far inferior Renteria got 10 million. Javy Lopez was also a pretty good signing that will prove his worth (he did last year at least). Raffy was more of a sentimental bit. I'm not sure that the M's will do quite as well as the Orioles did.

rdivaldi
12-16-2004, 03:10 PM
5 years 64 Mil. That's not too bad if he can produce like he did last year. Contract year fraud anyone?
I'll second that that notion....

cbrownson13
12-16-2004, 03:19 PM
Yeah, if he performs for the next 5 years anywhere close to the way he performed last year, it's a great deal. If he goes back to what he was two years ago, the Mariners are screwed.

They have signed to big bats now, but those two guys are both risks. That's a lot of money to throw at a risk. Especially when their pitching is in trouble. Who's their ace? Moyer? Piniero? That's not good.

Tekijawa
12-16-2004, 03:35 PM
Sexson, Beltre, looking at Delgado??? And they didn't think that they'd be able to keep Garcia? What did they think he'd be making?

Foulke You
12-16-2004, 03:41 PM
Sexson, Beltre, looking at Delgado??? And they didn't think that they'd be able to keep Garcia? What did they think he'd be making?I was thinking the exact same thing! They don't have money to sign a top pitcher like Freddy Garcia but they'll throw funny money at possible 1 year wonder Adrian Beltre and the vastly overrated Richie Sexson? Oh well, their loss, our gain.:cool:

The M's certainly seem to be looking to add a power game while doing nothing to improve the bullpen and starting rotation. I just don't see them competing with the Angels for that division with that pitching staff.

SOXSINCE'70
12-16-2004, 03:46 PM
"One of the dumbest signings of this offseason".Agreed.2004 was a career year for Beltre.Can he produce similar numbers
again?? Your guess is as good as mine.Speaking of moves that make you
go "hmmmmm",I just heard a few hours ago on 'MVP that the Mutts
(I mean Mets) have offered Carlos Delgado a 5 year,50 mill contract.

That's a lot of money for mediocrity. :o: :o:

Palehose13
12-16-2004, 03:57 PM
Sexson, Beltre, looking at Delgado??? And they didn't think that they'd be able to keep Garcia? What did they think he'd be making?
At the rate the market is right now, Garcia would have commanded more than 9mil per...Thank goodness the Sox got the family discount!

GAsoxfan
12-16-2004, 03:58 PM
The Mariners are going the opposite direction of the White Sox. The Sox are going for speed and pitching in a hitter's ballpark, while Seattle is signing these sluggers to play in a pitcher's ballpark.

I can already see what's going to happen in Seattle b/c they did this same thing ten years ago. All hitting and no pitching will get you nowhere, the M's finally became good when they dropped some big hitters and got some pitching. Their old teams with Griffey, Buhner, A-Rod, and Martinez were fun to watch until the 8th and 9th when Bobby Ayala and Norm Charlton would come into the game. Ayala was kind of like Gagne, when he came in the game was over, except in Ayala's case it meant his team was going to lose.

longshot7
12-16-2004, 03:59 PM
Stupid Dodgers. That's chump change for them. Talk about disappointing...

Ol' No. 2
12-16-2004, 04:25 PM
The Mariners are going the opposite direction of the White Sox. The Sox are going for speed and pitching in a hitter's ballpark, while Seattle is signing these sluggers to play in a pitcher's ballpark.

I can already see what's going to happen in Seattle b/c they did this same thing ten years ago. All hitting and no pitching will get you nowhere, the M's finally became good when they dropped some big hitters and got some pitching. Their old teams with Griffey, Buhner, A-Rod, and Martinez were fun to watch until the 8th and 9th when Bobby Ayala and Norm Charlton would come into the game. Ayala was kind of like Gagne, when he came in the game was over, except in Ayala's case it meant his team was going to lose.I was thinking the exact same thing. Why would you load up on hitting to play in Safeco?:?:

Lip Man 1
12-16-2004, 07:11 PM
That's some 'small market' team in Seattle eh?

Lip

OurBitchinMinny
12-16-2004, 10:00 PM
what the hell is their payroll? They are spending like teenage arabs

Lip Man 1
12-16-2004, 10:23 PM
Seattle has had one of the highest payrolls in the A.L. since the late 90's. Not bad for a 'small market' eh?

Lip

Jabroni
12-16-2004, 10:25 PM
Seattle has had one of the highest payrolls in the A.L. since the late 90's. Not bad for a 'small market' eh?

LipAnd what has it gotten them? :rolleyes:

OurBitchinMinny
12-16-2004, 10:47 PM
And what has it gotten them? :rolleyes:
well they made us look foolish in '00

Jabroni
12-16-2004, 10:49 PM
well they made us look foolish in '00True, but they didn't win anything that year either.

rdivaldi
12-17-2004, 11:33 AM

Lip
That "small market" draws on average over 3 million fans per year since 2001 Lip. Small market or not, that's what allows you to pay players.

munchman33
12-17-2004, 11:39 AM
That "small market" draws on average over 3 million fans per year since 2001 Lip. Small market or not, that's what allows you to pay players.
Not too mention they were drawing really well before the payroll moved up. If you're consistantly selling out with one of the lowest payrolls in the league, it makes it really easy to improve through free agency.

Flight #24
12-17-2004, 11:41 AM
Not to mention that IIRC, they started drawing before they started spending.....imagine that.

Lip Man 1
12-17-2004, 12:12 PM
Jabroni:

The Mariners had tremendous regular season records AND made the playoffs multiple times in that period. THAT's what it got them.

Hmmm...multiple playoff appearances in a short period of time. What a strange and exciting concept!

Lip

Jerry_Manuel
12-17-2004, 12:37 PM
Not to mention that IIRC, they started drawing before they started spending.....imagine that.
Being owned by Nintendo helps to.

Baines2Raines
12-17-2004, 01:02 PM
I was thinking the exact same thing. Why would you load up on hitting to play in Safeco?:?:
Dodger Stadium isn't a hitter's park either. So the change to Safeco might not be a problem for Beltre. You could look at last year as a career year or you could say Beltre who was rushed to the majors, finally put things together and is not entering his prime at 26-27.

If healthy both Sexson and Beltre could drive in 150 runs each with Ichrio on base all the time.