PDA

View Full Version : Pirates about to trade for C Benito Santiago...

Jabroni
12-16-2004, 02:05 PM
"Pirates acquire catcher Santiago"
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/pit/news/pit_press_release.jsp?ymd=20041216&content_id=923314&vkey=pr_pit&fext=.jsp
The Pittsburgh Pirates today announced that they have acquired catcher Benito Santiago, along with cash considerations, from the Kansas City Royals in exchange for minor league right-handed pitcher Leo Nunez.It looks more and more like we will end up with A.J. Pierzynski. The Pirates needed another catcher and it looks like Santiago is their man. We are one of the last teams that need a catcher badly. I think A.J. is coming to the South Side.

bennyw41
12-16-2004, 02:07 PM
It looks more and more like we will end up with A.J. Pierzynski. The Pirates needed another catcher and it looks like Santiago is their man. We are one of the last teams that need a catcher badly. I think A.J. is coming to the South Side.
How does your quote and information lead towards the White Sox in any way?

Ol' No. 2
12-16-2004, 02:08 PM
How does your quote and information lead towards the White Sox in any way?When has Kenny ever said he agrees that the Sox need another catcher badly? Looks to me like he's going into 2005 with what he has. I'm not the least bit interested in seeing Pierzinski playing for the Sox.

Jabroni
12-16-2004, 02:11 PM
How does your quote and information lead towards the White Sox in any way?Honestly, it's my own evaluation. What teams in the MLB needed a catcher badly? The Pirates and the White Sox. If the Pirates get Santiago, I could see us ending up with Pierzynski. That is all.

Kogs35
12-16-2004, 02:11 PM
if veratek doesn't sign with boston they will sign a.j

Jabroni
12-16-2004, 02:12 PM
if veratek doesn't sign with boston they will sign a.jAgreed, but I heard they are nearing a deal with V-Tek.

Foulke You
12-16-2004, 02:12 PM
It looks more and more like we will end up with A.J. Pierzynski. The Pirates needed another catcher and it looks like Santiago is their man. We are one of the last teams that need a catcher badly. I think A.J. is coming to the South Side.
I honestly do not believe that Kenny Williams is after a catcher. Especially one with clubhouse chemistry issues like AJ. I truly believe he is looking for another starting pitcher first and foremost with a middle infielder probably his second priority.

I don't think Davis/Burke will be as bad as everyone thinks. They already know the pitching staff and are both pretty solid defensively. These two things are the most important things in a catcher, not their offense.

Jabroni
12-16-2004, 02:18 PM
I honestly do not believe that Kenny Williams is after a catcher. Especially one with clubhouse chemistry issues like AJ. I truly believe he is looking for another starting pitcher first and foremost with a middle infielder probably his second priority.

I don't think Davis/Burke will be as bad as everyone thinks. They already know the pitching staff and are both pretty solid defensively. These two things are the most important things in a catcher, not their offense.ESPN 1000 just reported that the White Sox will meet with catcher A.J. Pierzynski and talk to him about his clubhouse demeanor and preparation for games. The White Sox are leery of his past clubhouse problems.

Soxzilla
12-16-2004, 02:38 PM
God I hope not.

I'd rather see davis and burke out there than seeing AJ at all. I can't root for that p.o.s. dickface.

MUsoxfan
12-16-2004, 02:48 PM
God I hope not.

I'd rather see davis and burke out there than seeing AJ at all. I can't root for that p.o.s. dickface.
I agree. He and Mientkiewicz are and always will be in the same boat of people I can never root for

Iwritecode
12-16-2004, 02:50 PM
I agree. He and Mientkiewicz are and always will be in the same boat of people I can never root for

Or spell their last name.

For me at least... :D:

Jabroni
12-16-2004, 02:51 PM
God I hope not.

I'd rather see davis and burke out there than seeing AJ at all. I can't root for that p.o.s. dickface.Get over it. Pierzynski would give us a catcher who can actually hit...

LF Podsednik
CF Rowand
1B Konerko
RF Dye
DH Everett
SS Uribe
3B Crede
C Pierzynski
2B Harris

That looks alot better than what we have now in the bottom of our lineup. I also love the idea of Willie batting ninth so he can lead right into Podsednik.

MUsoxfan
12-16-2004, 02:57 PM
Get over it. Pierzynski would give us a catcher who can actually hit...

LF Podsednik
CF Rowand
1B Konerko
RF Dye
DH Everett
SS Uribe
3B Crede
C Pierzynski
2B Harris

That looks alot better than what we have now in the bottom of our lineup. I also love the idea of Willie batting ninth so he can lead right into Podsednik.
I recall Burke being able to hit and hit in clutch situations. Seeing him in the order wouldn't bother me a bit

Jabroni
12-16-2004, 02:59 PM
I recall Burke being able to hit and hit in clutch situations. Seeing him in the order wouldn't bother me a bitWell, I'm not getting my hopes up for a 33-year old career minor leaguer. Pierzynski has consistently hit well at the major league level.

MUsoxfan
12-16-2004, 03:03 PM
Pierzynski has consistently hit well at the major league level.
But as Soxzilla said....he's a p.o.s. dickface and we have a 33 year old minor leaguer that is not and is also able to hit

Jabroni
12-16-2004, 03:10 PM
But as Soxzilla said....he's a p.o.s. dickface and we have a 33 year old minor leaguer that is not and is also able to hitYeah, with 133 career major league at bats.

Ol' No. 2
12-16-2004, 03:17 PM
Yeah, with 133 career major league at bats.Right. With 133 career major league at bats he can't possibly be any good.

Jabroni
12-16-2004, 03:18 PM
Right. With 133 career major league at bats he can't possibly be any good.I didn't exactly say that but jeez, the guy is 33 years old and has been in the minors most of his career. He wasn't any good in the minors either.

Soxzilla
12-16-2004, 03:21 PM
Caruso was good in the minors.

I'll leave that sentence at that.

Jabroni
12-16-2004, 03:23 PM
Caruso was good in the minors.

I'll leave that sentence at that.So at 33 years old already, do you guys see Burke as having a successful major league career ahead of him? I see him being a decent backup catcher but that is all.

Ol' No. 2
12-16-2004, 03:23 PM
I didn't exactly say that but jeez, the guy is 33 years old and has been in the minors most of his career. He wasn't any good in the minors either.Nobody ever gets better? I wouldn't count on a HOF career, but if he manages to hit .275 he'll be better than half the catchers in the league.

MUsoxfan
12-16-2004, 03:34 PM
So at 33 years old already, do you guys see Burke as having a successful major league career ahead of him? I see him being a decent backup catcher but that is all.
I can see 4-5 halfway decent years out of him. That's all I ask for out of any catcher. There are only about 5 or 6 premier catchers in this league that have huge numbers. I'd be happy with .275 for a few years.

Flight #24
12-16-2004, 03:57 PM
I also love the idea of Willie batting ninth so he can lead right into Podsednik.
Not if Willie behaves like last year on base. What good is it having potential 80-SB Pods if he's stuck behind "station to station" Willie?

Or is MLB changing the rules so that guys can pass each other on the bases? Maybe they're counting on Scotty just stealing 3d from first and running right by Willie at 2d who wonders "how does he DO that?"....

Brian26
12-16-2004, 04:04 PM
I think A.J. is coming to the South Side.

There is a reason why Kenny dealt Olivo away, and it is much the same reason why AJ won't be coming anywhere near the southside.

Foulke You
12-16-2004, 04:08 PM
I can't help but wonder if KW does sign this guy, my fear is that it would eat up too much of the Carlos Lee "savings" earmarked for the starting pitching staff to the point where we wouldn't be able to sign a quality guy.

MisterB
12-16-2004, 04:19 PM
Nobody ever gets better?
At 23, yes they do.

At 33, not bloody likely.

Ol' No. 2
12-16-2004, 04:21 PM
At 23, yes they do.

At 33, not bloody likely.Barry Bonds got A LOT better at that age. Oh, wait. Never mind.:o:

Mohoney
12-16-2004, 04:59 PM
I'm not the least bit interested in seeing Pierzinski playing for the Sox.
AMEN!

soxwon
12-16-2004, 05:18 PM
if he"s ours youll like HIM or else!!!

Jabroni
12-16-2004, 05:23 PM
Peope hate Pierzynski because he played for the Twins. Why don't people realize that he was playing for HIS team. We hate the Twins so we hate Pierzynski as well. What if A.J. played for us the same way he played for the Twins? Would you guys hate him then? :?:

Soxzilla
12-16-2004, 07:23 PM
Peope hate Pierzynski because he played for the Twins. Why don't people realize that he was playing for HIS team. We hate the Twins so we hate Pierzynski as well. What if A.J. played for us the same way he played for the Twins? Would you guys hate him then? :?:
We hate him because he's an *******. Think White Goodman from the movie Dodgeball.