PDA

View Full Version : From todays Quick Hits

Gammons Peter
12-16-2004, 09:13 AM
Thought this was interesting:

In light of the recent moves by the White Sox, has their home park changed from a home run hitters paradise, or does GM Kenny Williams anticipate an overall power decline this season for some curious reason??

I think we should move home plate back a feww feet, anyone know if this is in the works?

T-Bag
12-16-2004, 09:16 AM
Not sure about the fences but it is a great idea. Move them back and lets use our speed and pitching! I felt weird typing that.

lths06
12-16-2004, 09:16 AM

In light of the recent moves by the White Sox, has their home park changed from a home run hitters paradise, or does GM Kenny Williams anticipate an overall power decline this season for some curious reason??

I think we should move home plate back a feww feet, anyone know if this is in the works?
This would pretty much be impossible. If you move home plate back, you have to move the rest of the infield back. This would cost lots of $. Plus, there really isn't any room to move it back. And it would'nt be that many feet.

Frater Perdurabo
12-16-2004, 09:21 AM
This would pretty much be impossible. If you move home plate back, you have to move the rest of the infield back. This would cost lots of $. Plus, there really isn't any room to move it back. And it would'nt be that many feet.

Also, moving home plate back would shrink foul territory, which is an advantage for the hitters. Pop fouls would be more likely to go into the seats and not be caught for an out. Theoretically, the most effective way to engineer the Cell into more of a pitchers park would be to move the fences back, but it would take some serious engineering and construction to counteract the recent changes.

The best plan is just to leave things alone structurally and draft, develop and sign strikeout/ground ball pitchers.

JRIG
12-16-2004, 09:23 AM
Plus, it's not as if a few feet would make a huge difference. These home runs aren't just clearing the fence in mostcases, they're moon shots. While the moving in of the fences in certainly a contributor, it appears the reconstrction of the upper deck is more of a factor in the home run explosion.

Gammons Peter
12-16-2004, 09:23 AM
Wouldnt be that big of a job cost wise to add some sod at the back of the infield and move the mound a little. I think 5 feet would make a big difference. They could even make the outfield walls a foot or two higher with simple-cheap extensions

JRIG
12-16-2004, 09:24 AM
The best plan is just to leave things alone structurally and draft, develop and sign strikeout/ground ball pitchers.
Which is why I'm not optimistic about Hermanson or Vizcaino. Both extreme fly ball pitchers, though they do get the occasional K.

lths06
12-16-2004, 09:26 AM
Wouldnt be that big of a job cost wise to add some sod at the back of the infield and move the mound a little. I think 5 feet would make a big difference. They could even make the outfield walls a foot or two higher with simple-cheap extensionsI think ti would be harder than you think. You have to move all of that dirt, plus the plumbing underneath when they water the infield, remeasure the bases. And only for 5 feet?

And if they put up cheap etxtension, it would block the fans view in the outfield

Tekijawa
12-16-2004, 10:29 AM
You'd also have to move the foul poles... can't see that being too easy.

kittle42
12-16-2004, 10:40 AM
This is horrible, this thread.

Ol' No. 2
12-16-2004, 10:41 AM
You might also have a problem with sight lines in the upper deck. It would kinda suck if you couldn't see home plate.

ode to veeck
12-16-2004, 10:41 AM
:KW

"If we coulda only saved that only Comiskey version with 440 to dead center, OzzieBall could have its park!"

:reinsy

"Everyone knows the Allyns and Veeck ran the old place in the ground. Besides, it couldn't hold a nostalgic candle to Ebbets Field. Mention that again and you're outta here KW!"

jake27
12-16-2004, 10:45 AM
:threadsucks

MarkyBear
12-16-2004, 10:54 AM
While the moving in of the fences in certainly a contributor, it appears the reconstrction of the upper deck is more of a factor in the home run explosion.

See that's what I thought too, about the Upper Deck...

Will the new Kids Park thing being built in left maybe help to deter that some now???

Gammons Peter
12-16-2004, 10:57 AM
This thread was intended to show possible insight by Kenny as to steroid ramifications. If power is down throughout baseball, our lineup might not look so bad with a speed advantage. I didn't intend it to be "lets move the fences" but I thought I had heard rumors about it.

cbrownson13
12-16-2004, 11:00 AM
Clearly the only option here is to build a new stadium.

CubKilla
12-16-2004, 11:02 AM
Which is why I'm not optimistic about Hermanson or Vizcaino. Both extreme fly ball pitchers, though they do get the occasional K.
But they're both better than Mike Jackson :wink:

soxtalker
12-16-2004, 11:05 AM

While the discussion of the field is interesting (at least to some), what about the comment in the original quote about anticipating "an overall power decline this season"? The way it is phrased, I think that he's referring to the entire league (perhaps because of the more stringent steroid testing). If so, that's an interesting thought, as it would indicate that baseball in general would see a shift away from power to speed and defense.

Gammons Peter
12-16-2004, 11:17 AM
thank you

TDog
12-16-2004, 12:19 PM
Still, home plate was moved at least a couple of times in the history of the old park.

santo=dorf
12-16-2004, 12:21 PM
Which is why I'm not optimistic about Hermanson or Vizcaino. Both extreme fly ball pitchers, though they do get the occasional K.:?:
Hermanson's GO/AO was .99 last year and 1.57 in 2003. Takatsu's GO/AO was .88, Marte's was .88, and .86 in 2004 and 2003 respectively, Politte's was .91 and .66 in 2004 and 2003 respectively.

Why must you doubt everyone of Williams' moves without checking the stats? :?:

iwcup
12-16-2004, 12:54 PM
This thread was intended to show possible insight by Kenny as to steroid ramifications. If power is down throughout baseball, our lineup might not look so bad with a speed advantage. I didn't intend it to be "lets move the fences" but I thought I had heard rumors about it.
I will be interested to see just how many "sluggers" come into camp more slender and less ripped than in the past few years....

I believe you are right, with the huge push for testing, many who havent been caught yet, will need to go natural to avoid the scrutiny, and thus not put up the numbers they have....

Jjav829
12-16-2004, 01:03 PM
This is horrible, this thread.
And your incessant bitching just makes it so much better...:rolleyes:

JRIG
12-16-2004, 01:15 PM
:?:
Hermanson's GO/AO was .99 last year and 1.57 in 2003. Takatsu's GO/AO was .88, Marte's was .88, and .86 in 2004 and 2003 respectively, Politte's was .91 and .66 in 2004 and 2003 respectively.

Why must you doubt everyone of Williams' moves without checking the stats? :?:
Vizcaino IS an extreme fly-ball pitcher. He's thrown about 35% more fly balls than ground balls the past two years. He gave up 12 HR in 72 IP last year and 16 HR in 62 IP two years ago.

I should have used better language on Hermanson. He isn't an extreme fly ball pitcher, but he does give up a lot of home runs. 15 in 131 IP last year, 9 HR in 68 IP the year before, 34 in 192 IP in 2001.

Please, you can accuse me of coming at a question from the wrong angle, but I always check the facts.

JKryl
12-16-2004, 01:19 PM

As I understand it, a park may move their fences once a year, before the season starts.

santo=dorf
12-16-2004, 01:26 PM
Vizcaino IS an extreme fly-ball pitcher. He's thrown about 35% more fly balls than ground balls the past two years. He gave up 12 HR in 72 IP last year and 16 HR in 62 IP two years ago.

I should have used better language on Hermanson. He isn't an extreme fly ball pitcher, but he does give up a lot of home runs. 15 in 131 IP last year, 9 HR in 68 IP the year before, 34 in 192 IP in 2001.

Please, you can accuse me of coming at a question from the wrong angle, but I always check the facts.I'm not doubting Vizcaino being a flyball pitcher, but what is the point in :whiner: about Hermanson's flyball ratio when there are 3 other guys on the staff who have a crappier ratio?

IP/HR (2004)
Hermanson: 10.1 as a reliever: 14.5
Marte: 7.32
Politte: 8.56
Adkins: 4.77
Cotts: 5.03
Shingo: 10.4

Road IP/HR (2004)
Hermanson: 7.89 as a reliever: 11.67
Marte: 16.17
Politte: 7.33
Adkins: 3.04
Cotts: 3.11
Shingo: 9.56

I think Hermanson will be a fine addition to our pen. :gulp:

Huisj
12-16-2004, 01:42 PM
Clearly the only option here is to build a new stadium.
better yet, build a new stadium, and keep the old one. they can decide where they want to play each day depending on who's pitching and who they're playing so they can have either a hitters park or pitchers park!

:reinsy
"And who says we have to tell the fans where we're playing each day? That'll keep attendence down so I don't have to pretend that I'll spend money. Brilliant."

Brian26
12-16-2004, 01:46 PM
Wouldnt be that big of a job cost wise to add some sod at the back of the infield and move the mound a little. I think 5 feet would make a big difference. They could even make the outfield walls a foot or two higher with simple-cheap extensions

Based on the elevations and what kind of underdrain system Bossard has installed, it actually could be a major undertaking to move the infield.

Some people have pointed out in the past, also, that the entire stadium is desgined based on the location of homeplate. Moving the plate back or forward would change the sight lines for everyone in the park.

FightingBillini
12-16-2004, 01:58 PM
First of all, no it wouldnt. The balls flew out of the Cell, they didnt barely clear the fence. If a ball lands half way up the bleachers, 5 feet either way wont make a differnce.

Mots importantly, they cant move home plate back becuase the park was designed around home at that point, with the rake of the upperdeck set from home plate. The upper deck is so steep because of its height, and there needs to be a sightline between the last row behind home and the plate. If homeplate was moved back, you wouldnt be able to see it from behind home in the upper deck.

FightingBillini
12-16-2004, 02:04 PM
If the Sox see this as a problem a few years down the road, they can tilt the roof so its on a slight angle, maybe 30%. I dont imagine it would cost all that much, the roof would stay the same. They would just cut some of the supports put in different ones. I know nothing about construction, and Im sure it would be a little more complicated than that, but it wont be nearly as difficult or expensive as the upperdeck renovation was this year. Other than that, there is nothing they can do.